Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: DDO Head Start - Starts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DDO Head Start - Starts  (Read 129124 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #70 on: March 03, 2006, 02:25:24 PM

Put me in the shotgun camp and give me a back holster for .28, .20, and .12 gauge barrels.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:39 PM

I'm too wee for shotguns. I'd hurt myself more than the zombies.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 03, 2006, 02:53:59 PM

You didn't tell us you were in beta, and you weren't one of the ones who got a beta through Callandryll. What we did in this forum wasn't NDA breaking, because it was private, only allowed people with access, and we had the dev community guy looking at our posts anyway. Any other stupid fucking questions?

Nope, that about covers it. I didn't think Callandryll was the Ace in your hole on this site. I mean, I know that DM is buddy-buddy with people over at C-news and those dorks get crazy and naked every time he types a line in IRC, but I didn't know you had people okaying stuff over here as well.

NEWS TO ME. Hopefully you can knock some fucking sense into Turbine with your next secret forum and stop crap like D&DO from getting anywhere near release.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #73 on: March 03, 2006, 02:56:22 PM

That sounds like a plus to me.  Not only does the zombie get a face full of buckshot, you get flung in the opposite direction and minimize the risk of getting bitten!  Win-win.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #74 on: March 03, 2006, 04:26:09 PM

Gimme my Deagle any day.

Also, I'll take a flamethrower. Zombies hate fire, right?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #75 on: March 03, 2006, 04:27:43 PM

That can't be right anyways, I have fired a .45 and a Sig .357 (even more kick due to the gun being so light or something) and I was able to handle it with a little practice, not saying I wasn't having problems with anticipating the blast and hitting low on the target but I'm only 130-150 lbs at 5'11" so its really not that hard.  I would figure a shotty wouldn't be that much worse no?  Longer barrel = less blowback?

Keep in mind I know fuckall about guns that aren't in Counterstrike, but versus a zombie horde I think I would take a fiveseven with the 20 round clip if the ammo wasn't rare as all fuck.  So I'm torn, on the one hand a revolver .357mag or higher should be enough to drop them in one round and the damn things really can't break but the reload time (even w/ those cool little holder things) and 6 shots before you have to reload is scary when facing zombie hordes.

If these are the slow stupid zombies I'm not sure some kind of halberd/spear weapon with plenty of reach isn't the way to go if I was a stronger guy and less of a pussy.  As it is I think that a shotty is not a bad call at all...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:29:23 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 03, 2006, 06:28:43 PM

Longer barrel = less blowback?

A longer barrel does nothing to reduce recoil.  It's only purpose (if you're using a shotgun) is to try to maintain a tight pattern to the pellets.  That's why sawing off a shotgun is so dangerous at close range, the pellets don't stay in a concentrated pattern.  With rifles a long barrel allows more stability and more spin to be put on the round, making it more accurate.

And in no way are .45's or even .357's comparable to a shotgun in terms of powder amount, which is what produces recoil.  That's not to say that a shotgun is something you should be afraid to fire, and if Haemish is saying that he needs to start shopping for a sundress and some sassy pumps to go with it.  Perhaps a bonnet as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 06:32:24 PM by Big Gulp »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #77 on: March 04, 2006, 02:52:38 AM

You have all seen this right?

http://www.urbandead.com/

The below section was in my recent history when I logged in once, I posted it at corp before

Since your last turn:

A flare was fired 2 blocks to the east and 5 blocks to the south. (12-20 03:07 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Hey everbody what's happenin? I ain't really dead. Honest. I know y'all read the headlines COMEDY GENIUS RICHARD PRYOR DIES. It did say GENIUS, right?" (12-20 04:07 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "But now, ain't that the same paper said WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOUND IN IRAQ? Yeah that's what I thought." (12-20 04:07 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "But it ain't they fault. Ain't the newspaper fault this time. My agent, Sid, when Sid told me about the Malton tour, I said 'DAMN! I MUST be dead!'" (12-20 04:08 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Light rum, triple sec, creme de almond, 151 rum, orange juice.how many y'all know what that is? .................. That's right, it's what you get when you walk into any bar in LA and say 'make me a zombie.'" (12-20 04:10 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Try that in Malton..........................get a damn double barrel shotgun up in your face!" (12-20 04:11 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Zombie walks into a BARHAH..." (12-20 04:12 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "No, seriously, I'm sittin there havin a...a ZOMBIE...no shit, and in walks a zombie, an actual zombie. Bartender says 'hey we got a drink named after you, this guy's havin one right now.'" (12-20 04:15 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Zombie raises his eyebrow...no, really, he had it in his left hand...he raised it up like this. Looks at me kinda sideways, you know, like this. .................. Says 'you are drinking a Ted?'" (12-20 04:16 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "They got movies here in Malton, I seen the movie theaters. I asked Sid, Sid my agent you know, I asked him if zombies go to the movies. 'Sure,' he say. 'Zombies love movies, they love the popcorn, the whole movie experience.'" (12-20 04:17 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "That's how Sid talk, he talk like a white man you know. I ask him, 'do they eat popcorn with they fingers?' Sid thought a minute..................'no,' he said, 'they almost always eat their fingers separately.'" (12-20 04:19 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Sid. He a funny little man. Well not so much funny as stupid. Zombies, they leave Sid alone. Sid so stupid the damn zombies turn up they nose at his brain." (12-20 04:19 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Yeah, he so stupid, he the first man alive to get Brain Rot." (12-20 04:20 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Other day I headshot the mofo, he turn around and say 'huh? what? You say something, Richard?'" (12-20 04:21 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Today he told me, 'Richard,' I don't let him call me Dick. 'Richard,' he say, 'couldn't you try to tell jokes that don't remind these people that they are in the middle of a massive zombie invasion?' See there, like I told you, Sid one stupid mofo." (12-20 04:22 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "I say, 'you think maybe they FORGOT?'" (12-20 04:23 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout. They everywhere! Zombies are. This afternoon I saw a little zombie girl standin on the corner with her zombie mom. I said 'ain't she a cutie.' Zombie mom says, 'Yes she is. She has her father's eyes.'" (12-20 04:24 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "'An I'm gone whup her upside the head in about two seconds if she don't give 'em back!'" (12-20 04:25 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Zombie children...they ain't easy to get along with. First place, how you gonna put a damn zombie baby to sleep? Seriously. I asked zombie mom about that...................she say, 'well first, you gonna need a flamethrower...'" (12-20 04:26 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Ladies and gentlemen, I notice pdiddy's in the house! pdiddy, stand up, big hand for pdiddy everbody." (12-20 04:29 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Bad news is, pdiddy know even less about barricade building than I do, and this 'un looks a little light. I'm gone step next door, see if we can get some barricade help over here. Thank you and good night!" (12-20 04:32 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Still ain't got no help on the barricades? Figures. I did ask 'em next door but you know how it is when a black man walks into a police station." (12-20 04:52 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "No really it ain't like that here. New Orleans maybe. But not Malton...say, how many y'all from Great Britain?" (12-20 04:53 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Yeah, good then maybe you can tell me, is this true................................I heard that Tony Blair hates zombies almost as much as George Bush hates black people." (12-20 04:54 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "We got any zombies in the house? No? Thank the Lawd! .... Any y'all know any zombies? Yeah, then you know what I'm talkin bout. You got to be real careful how you talk to a zombie. They take everthing so literal." (12-20 04:55 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "One thing you NEVER want to say to a zombie...'Hey man, where can a brutha get a piece of ass?'" (12-20 04:56 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "No shit....I thought the mofo was gonna try to give me a piece of my OWN ass!" (12-20 04:57 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "And don't offer to give a zombie a piece of your mind." (12-20 04:57 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Saw Jane Fonda other day.....yeah, she here, at the big ZOMBIE RIGHTS rally. Up on stage with a dozen or so big ol' stinkin zombies." (12-20 05:00 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Last thing I heard her say: 'NO! WAIT! I said PEACE AND HARMONY! NOT PIECE OF HARMANZ!'" (12-20 05:01 GMT)
A flare was fired 7 blocks to the east and 4 blocks to the south. (12-20 05:02 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "I got my black ass the hell outta there. Man I ran like I was on fire. And yeah, I know what that's like too." (12-20 05:03 GMT)
Richard Pryor said "Y'all stick around, maybe pdiddy do a set later on." (12-20 05:04 GMT)
A flare was fired 2 blocks to the east and 12 blocks to the south. (12-20 06:48 GMT)
Sulman said "Kenafie Lane P.D.'s got a larger crowd, but no comedy talent." (12-20 09:11 GMT)

schild
Administrator

Reply #78 on: March 04, 2006, 03:53:52 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: March 04, 2006, 10:19:08 PM

Zambaz grab harmanz, har har har.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #80 on: March 06, 2006, 07:45:40 AM

Also, I'll take a flamethrower. Zombies hate fire, right?

You will have a refueling problem. For zombies, you want a houseboat and a shotgun. Then find a nice river like the Mississippi.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #81 on: March 06, 2006, 08:10:56 AM

And in no way are .45's or even .357's comparable to a shotgun in terms of powder amount, which is what produces recoil.  That's not to say that a shotgun is something you should be afraid to fire, and if Haemish is saying that he needs to start shopping for a sundress and some sassy pumps to go with it.  Perhaps a bonnet as well.

Not quite time for the pumps, but I weigh a good 140. I'm skinny as fuck. Turn me sideways and I stick out my tongue, I'm a fucking zipper. I've shot 12-gauges before. They HURT my fragile, bony little shoulder. Thus, I'd want something with little recoil, accuracy and plenty of ammo. An MP-5? Sounds good to me. 30-40 round clips, can go banzai full-auto if I want to be stupid, the ammo is likely common as dirt, and the recoil is going to be a lot less than that shotty. Not that splattering zombie brains all over my sun dress is a bad thing, but as a shitty shot and a wee fellow, I want accuracy.

Strazos

Reply #82 on: March 06, 2006, 09:02:59 AM

a shitty shot and a wee fellow, I want accuracy.

Huh?

Wouldn't you want a shotty then, so it's more of a point-and-click action?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #83 on: March 06, 2006, 10:14:06 AM

I'd prefer not to have the bruised shoulder. My shitty shottiness can be made up for by either 1) more accurate gun or 2) firing more bullets with semi-auto/auto.

Strazos

Reply #84 on: March 06, 2006, 01:16:53 PM

or 3) attaching a laser sight.

Fear the Backstab!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 07, 2006, 02:38:08 AM

Fuck me, you guys get laser sights and I'm still stuck with my fireaxe.

:(

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: March 07, 2006, 03:04:01 AM

You didn't tell us you were in beta, and you weren't one of the ones who got a beta through Callandryll. What we did in this forum wasn't NDA breaking, because it was private, only allowed people with access, and we had the dev community guy looking at our posts anyway. Any other stupid fucking questions?

Nope, that about covers it. I didn't think Callandryll was the Ace in your hole on this site. I mean, I know that DM is buddy-buddy with people over at C-news and those dorks get crazy and naked every time he types a line in IRC, but I didn't know you had people okaying stuff over here as well.

NEWS TO ME. Hopefully you can knock some fucking sense into Turbine with your next secret forum and stop crap like D&DO from getting anywhere near release.

Who is DM?

And I do everything by the books. Everything.

As for the zombie question:

A 9-iron. Seriously. I've spent a lot of time on this questions in the past 24 years. Nothing, NOTHING will ever beat a 9iron. Especially if you can dip it in gorilla glue and broken glass at the time of acquisition.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #87 on: March 07, 2006, 03:51:28 AM

DM is devilmouse, Turbine dev.  I suspect Nija is L-C from corp, L-C accused corp of being biased over DDO because DM hangs out in their irc chat.

Dunno, if DM does or not.

I don't think corp is biased, just more people are enjoying DDO there.  The people who didn't enjoy DDO had their detailed say and pretty much left them to it, no point trolling the single DDO thread to be a dick. 

In their DDO preview news item thread, someone at corp said L-C was Baka Yaro from the Rolling 30's in shadowbane and said he used to crash the server in Beta, I didn't see him deny it.  Well, he denied "spamming" when he was accused of being a "griefing, duping, spamming, PKing douche' bag".  So I guess if Turbine ever sort their act out they can have him as a customer again.

Having Red names post on mmorpg sites is a pretty smart move, I don't see anything wrong with it, it's slightly annoying when the game has an NDA.  But if the NDA goes on too long I just think the back lash is worse, so it evens out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 07, 2006, 04:04:17 AM

Well, he denied "spamming" when he was accused of being a "griefing, duping, spamming, PKing douche' bag". 

Quality.

Oh and Schild - how much per notch ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #89 on: March 07, 2006, 08:28:12 AM

Someone else over at Corp pointed to the crowbar, I am good with that unless we are finitely limited to only one weapon ever.  But if I have to have a choice to pick at first and then the ability to acquire more later, the crowbar is the win.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #90 on: March 07, 2006, 08:50:20 AM

I own a copy of The Zombie Survival Guide and need to make time to read it.  Here are my preliminary thoughts.

A zombie army isn't going to reduce in numbers, or even halt growth, for a long time.  The chances of humanity winning the war are very slim.  Expect a protracted battle where attrition is the primary enemy.  Being allowed only one weapon, I will have to go with something that doesn't require ammunition.  It should be blunt, since the last thing you want during combat is for a blade to become stuck in bone and rob you of a precious second or two of mobility.  I believe I would choose the six-foot staff due to the combination of speed and reach.  Crush a zombie's major bones and it is practically immobile, and should be much easier to deal with at that point.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #91 on: March 07, 2006, 11:08:57 AM

zombie ~ DDO? 

explain?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #92 on: March 07, 2006, 11:16:40 AM

Talking about DDO is boring as fuck.

Talking about zombie invasions isn't.

@Yeg:  Like I said earlier, if I was stronger and less of a pussy I would definately go with a spear/staff.  I think Kilick from SoulCalibur could own a zombie horde without breaking a sweat.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #93 on: March 07, 2006, 11:17:08 AM

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #94 on: March 07, 2006, 11:40:29 AM

I suspect Nija is L-C from corp, L-C accused corp of being biased over DDO because DM hangs out in their irc chat.

In their DDO preview news item thread, someone at corp said L-C was Baka Yaro from the Rolling 30's in shadowbane and said he used to crash the server in Beta, I didn't see him deny it.  Well, he denied "spamming" when he was accused of being a "griefing, duping, spamming, PKing douche' bag".  So I guess if Turbine ever sort their act out they can have him as a customer again.

Nija is not L-C.  L-C was, however, Baka Yaro in R30. 

Just for clarity, not like anyone cares.

-Rasix
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #95 on: March 07, 2006, 12:51:06 PM

Who were you people on Scorn?  I'm wondering if I ever visited burned any of your cities.

-William Gibson
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #96 on: March 07, 2006, 01:03:49 PM

Im not sure who was on Scorn, but a bunch of us where in House Denyr (damn, its been so long I cant remember how to spell it). And Im pretty sure we wernt on Scorn. But then I also cant remember what server we where on.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #97 on: March 07, 2006, 03:46:53 PM

I suspect Nija is L-C from corp, L-C accused corp of being biased over DDO because DM hangs out in their irc chat.

Nija is not L-C.  L-C was, however, Baka Yaro in R30. 

Baka Yaro was one of the largest cockmunches ever to grace an MMOG with his presence, topped off only by Bonedancer, Furor and Tigole. Ziza (forget her name) was close, but she was at least someone I could eventually respect if not agree with. Baka also got banned less than a month into SB for being an exploiting cockmunch.

Nija, were you Nija on EQ's Karana server? If so, small world.

House Daenyr was on Mourning, I think. I tend to forget as well.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #98 on: March 07, 2006, 10:56:51 PM

Im not sure who was on Scorn, but a bunch of us where in House Denyr (damn, its been so long I cant remember how to spell it). And Im pretty sure we wernt on Scorn. But then I also cant remember what server we where on.

House Daenyr.  I only know because Righ just broke their WoW site by registering.  I guess it's very, very fragile, much like the mind of our founding king.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #99 on: March 08, 2006, 12:10:00 AM

Schild or Jesus?

Or am I more confused then usual?

-William Gibson
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #100 on: March 08, 2006, 04:21:53 AM

in other news, my box arrived today.  Any ideas? 
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: March 08, 2006, 04:43:05 AM

Race yourself to 10 and then pick up Shadow Hearts 3 tomorrow.

I haven't weighed in on the topic for a while actually. So let's do that now.

I admire what Turbine tried to do with DDO. Having lurked a bit on their forums and gone through the newbie process a number of times in beta, it's unfortunate that I have to say they failed. But I'm going to place 50% of the blame on the shitty license. It's like licensing Warhammer and making it a regular MMOG when World of Warcraft is already out. The other 50% I'm going to place squarely on too much ambition too little time and talent. DDO was a harsh undertaking, doing it right is impossible. The license just isn't meant to be translated that literally into a game like that. Too little Black Isle too much Diku.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #102 on: March 08, 2006, 06:37:09 AM

I guess the idea was to enjoy a nice, exciting dungeon crawl in which you had to explore, make mistakes and recover from them.  That would have been fairly fun and different but they didn't take into account the mentality of MMO players.  All the people who played their long beta and the pre-order head start have already done the dungeons and have no interest in exploring/enjoying the dungeon.  I get into a group and they all start running as fast as they can in a certain direction, they have the quest memorized and make a bee-line for the next key npc to talk to or kill, they only make detours to go into places where they know there are treasure chests.

I did the whole waterworks series of quests on Sunday and had literally no idea what I was doing, only one person has to talk to the npcs so I didn't even get the dialogue.  I just followed the group around and cast burning hands on groups of enemies.  When something exciting would have happened, like an ambush after pulling a lever, the group leader said "Ambush after this lever" so we were ready.

And the game certainly isn't worth a monthly fee and it shouldn't be called an MMO.  If they did the guild wars model of purchasing new content through expansions that would be fine.  But as it is this is just a 3D version of Diablo with crappy loot, forced grouping and static-only dungeons.  No one even talks to eachother in the zones, there is no crafting, no economy, no PvP and everyone is crammed inside of instances.  They could use an FPS interface that lets you choose the map=quest you want to play and just wait for new players to join.  You wouldn't be able to tell the difference and grouping would actually be easier, there is no massively multiplayer component.

Meh, I'm sure all of this has been said a thousand times before.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #103 on: March 08, 2006, 06:39:45 AM

I didn't see Haemish's comment because I was looking at my fingers.  The king with the broken mind was Tearin, not Schild or poor, old Jesus.   A lot of House Daenyr seem to be playing Eve or WoW.  I'm sure everyone is waiting for something else.  Righ is in their guild on Deathwing or whatever it's called, although I'd be surprised if he plays any game more than a few hours a month these days.  He doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry to start up again, either.

I would probably play DDO if:

1.  I could mostly solo it.
2.  I didn't seem to be nearly required to do the same quests 3 times.
3.  What Miasma said for the thousandth time.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm still looking forward to LOtRO.  It has nothing to do with being a fan of the books or the movies, although I found them good fun.  I'm just really, really curious about it.  And I want hairy feet.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 08, 2006, 07:03:15 AM

And the game certainly isn't worth a monthly fee and it shouldn't be called an MMO.  If they did the guild wars model of purchasing new content through expansions that would be fine.  But as it is this is just a 3D version of Diablo with crappy loot, forced grouping and static-only dungeons.  No one even talks to eachother in the zones, there is no crafting, no economy, no PvP and everyone is crammed inside of instances.  They could use an FPS interface that lets you choose the map=quest you want to play and just wait for new players to join.  You wouldn't be able to tell the difference and grouping would actually be easier, there is no massively multiplayer component.

Meh, I'm sure all of this has been said a thousand times before.

Along with Schild's comments above this sums it up for me.  Not sure this game can ever recover, there are deeper design issues here than even in the EQ2 situation.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: DDO Head Start - Starts  
Jump to: