Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced.  (Read 56046 times)
raydeen
Terracotta Army

on: January 31, 2006, 09:52:33 AM

Just saw this on Blues News. Don't think it's been posted here yet (unless someone is a faster typer than me and is on right now.)

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/060131/az_cheyenne_mt_ent.html

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:57:02 AM

You ever talk about how something could be cool, then realize you might have mis-spoke?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:57:38 AM

Ah, dammit.  Now Baldwin Online might have some competition.  Someone get me Jeff K.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:59:27 AM

Neat!
oh
OH
Shit
This is going to suck.

"Me am play gods"
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 10:00:26 AM

You ever talk about how something could be cool, then realize you might have mis-spoke?

All the feckin' time.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 10:00:45 AM

Finally, a game with "a superior game concept implemented by a superior development team."  Excuse me for a second while I wipe my HD and sit patiently at my computer waiting for further updates.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:05:30 AM

How exactly can you say that the game will be developed by a top-notch design team who has NEVER CREATED AN MMOG?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 10:07:00 AM

How exactly can you say that the game will be developed by a top-notch design team who has NEVER CREATED AN MMOG?

Timothy N. Jenson — President and Chief Executive Officer
Joseph Ybarra — Vice President of Product Development
David Adams — Vice President of Strategic Partnerships
Stu Rose — Art Director
Chris Klug — Creative Director
Jim Brown — Director of New Product Development

I think Ybarra was the producer on Matrix Online.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 11:52:16 AM by Furiously »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:08:07 AM

And in other news, All chevrons inactive

ccording to online reports, Perception, the Australian developer of Stargate SG-1: The Alliance, has cancelled the near-finished title and appears to be in the process of closing its doors, following continued issues regarding the game.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 10:09:49 AM

More importantly - Schild - they are in Pheonix AZ! Exclusive???

Speaking of which.. Raph - can Wayabvpar and I get a tour of Sony Seattle?

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 10:10:17 AM

"The Cheyenne staff is comprised of a veteran management team that has shipped more than 80 world-class titles, and boasts extensive MMO development experience."

Probably all the people who lost their jobs when Motor City Online, Asheron's Call 2, and Space and Beyond (and whatever else) all imploded. ;) I find it odd that they don't mention any of these 'world-class' past projects... wait, no I don't. And also that they hyphenated 'MMO-RPG'.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 11:13:36 AM

I believe this is the relevant quote:
Statements herein concerning future events and developments and the Company's expectations, beliefs, plans and estimates constitute forward-looking information that involves risks and uncertainties. Cheyenne's actual results could differ materially from those indicated by the forward-looking information.
I'm a stargate fan. Leave it alone.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 11:14:47 AM

SG-39876, reporting for duty!

"Me am play gods"
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 11:17:57 AM

There's been plenty of companies that have experience in MMOs that turn out to be absolute turds.
They've probably got about as much chance at getting at right as the next guy.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 11:21:16 AM

There's been plenty of companies that have experience in MMOs that turn out to be absolute turds.

It's true. It isn't like a complete retard with funding couldn't come along and repeat the same spectacular mistakes of the past just as well as the current industry veterans.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 11:33:31 AM

wow! /drool
Now if it doesn't take forever to come out, it would be pretty awesome. Like that sg-1 single player game. That has shitty graphics and is developed by the guys that made boat boat madness or something...

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 11:37:07 AM

Timothy N. Jenson — President and Chief Executive Officer
Joseph Ybarra — Vice President of Product Development
David Adams — Vice President of Strategic Partnerships
Stu Rose — Art Director
Chris Klug — Creative Director
Jim Brown — Director of New Product Development

I thihnk Ybarra was the producer on Matrix Online.

Ybarra is a big name, and their art guy has been involved in ... almost everything Blizzard, inc. WoW.  Looks like they do have some real talent there, but they don't have much more than what you posted actually hired.  They're looking for several leads on their website, so they've done little more than brainstorming and some mockups so far.  Check back in 4 years.  I wouldn't ignore this one just because of the names, but it's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to give it much attention.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 11:45:22 AM

It's true. It isn't like a complete retard with funding couldn't come along and repeat the same spectacular mistakes of the past just as well as the current industry veterans.

i've always been quite fond of using the word "craptacular" instead.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 11:50:12 AM

sigh.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 11:51:15 AM

I thihnk Ybarra was the producer on Matrix Online.

I thought he talked to wolves...

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 11:57:35 AM

This is going to be the best game ever! Wait and see!

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 11:59:01 AM

Chris Klug was lead content designer on Earth & Beyond.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 12:03:51 PM

The SG universe has already established that it is a universe with infinite parallel time-lines.  So they can create a new time -line but still use all the iconic characters and places.  It could be a time-line that is more conducive to a MMOG.  Even given player's control of major plot points in this time-line.  That could go a long way to reduce the suck.

"Me am play gods"
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 12:10:04 PM

Story cohesion has not been near the top of my list of things that suck in MMORPGs, ever. The things they'll need to do to reduce the suck will involve a lot of careful design, enough familiarity with the genre to avoid the mistakes of the past, enough sense to want to create some innovations, deep pockets, and more development time than any publisher will reasonably allow them.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 12:14:27 PM

The best you can hope for is that grinding Replicants for lewt will be instanced.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 12:34:52 PM

I hope it's like the TV series.

Every quest should involve the imminent destruction/enslavement of the Earth only to be averted 44 minutes later when you discover some kind of ridiculous miracle (or an absurd Achilles heel of the enemy) to make the problem go away.  Also all of your characters should have permadeath but then come back a few months later after a super-miracle and be even more powerful.

You can get a symbiot which makes you more powerful but sometimes while playing you will be forcefully logged off as another player takes control.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 12:35:34 PM

God, I've got the shakes.  One game gets cancelled only to pave the way for another one that will probably end up cancelled.  Fuck.

Here's how you make a Stargate MMO and not fuck it up royally, but maybe only a bit.  FPS-twitch combat(look at FEAR for help in the staff-melee stuff) and PvP through faction-based territorial battle, something akin to Planetside.  Absolutely no fucking starship nonsense until you guys are sure you can handle the basics like ground combat and rewarding strategic teams with capturing gates and holding them.  Absolutely no fucking stupid ascension garbage; Jedi and Hero classes spring to mind.

I know.  Pie in the sky and all that.
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 12:41:41 PM

God, I've got the shakes.  One game gets cancelled only to pave the way for another one that will probably end up cancelled.  Fuck.

Here's how you make a Stargate MMO and not fuck it up royally, but maybe only a bit.  FPS-twitch combat(look at FEAR for help in the staff-melee stuff) and PvP through faction-based territorial battle, something akin to Planetside.  Absolutely no fucking starship nonsense until you guys are sure you can handle the basics like ground combat and rewarding strategic teams with capturing gates and holding them.  Absolutely no fucking stupid ascension garbage; Jedi and Hero classes spring to mind.

I know.  Pie in the sky and all that.

Well FPS-twitch worked so well for SWG, why not!?!  Agree with no ascension characters, though.  Just gimme a gun and call me Jack. :)

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 12:41:55 PM

Those are important issues too but I don't want to be stuck between season 2 and 3 doing menial tasks forever.

I suspect we are going to see something like DDO with a hundred linear quests following a storyline, which will be boring like GW PvE.

It would be great if they could do something interesting with science characters, like a mini-game to translate glyphs.

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 12:52:20 PM

I'm excited that we finally have an IP where permadeath actually DOESN'T make sense.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 01:04:02 PM

What elements of the SG IP would make an interesting MMOG?
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 01:09:08 PM

Shhhh.

Fortunately, this industry does not have town hall meetings to solicit feedback from focus groups before burning cash  smiley

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 01:09:23 PM

Nearly limitless number of environments to kill rats in?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 01:42:31 PM

Nearly limitless number of environments to kill rats in?
Mitch Pileggi

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 02:05:33 PM

Man just thinking of star gate online and my first thought was HELLO INSTANCES. It would be like DDO but even more so just a base to hook up with your buddies click the general for your random mission of the day and then enter the instance portal um star gate and wack foozles.

It may suck but you have to admit that setup is  just about the easiest damn premise to setup for a mmrpg alot easier than something like star treck.

kaid
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced.  
Jump to: