Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced.  (Read 56045 times)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #35 on: January 31, 2006, 03:06:42 PM

Nah, Star Trek you could just have the server being the Starship Enterprise, and the instance portal would just be away teams. C'mon, give me a tougher example.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 31, 2006, 03:19:18 PM

What elements of the SG IP would make an interesting MMOG?
Nearly limitless number of environments to kill rats in?
Mitch Pileggi
Mitch rocks - he was a voice in Planescape.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 31, 2006, 03:46:35 PM

What wouldn't?  The IP for Stargate includes just about anything scifi you can think up.  Really, you can go for a SG-1 clone, or the Earth militant group (their name escapes me), free Jaffa (sp), or Jaffa in the service of a snake, or any other of unknown number of minor factions.  Then throw in Atlantis.  Mix and match any assortment of ancient/modern/alien/godly alien technology you like.  Add or leave out space ships as you like.  You might actually have a fun Jedi quest, with holocubes replaced by Wratih farming for their super steroid stuff.  There's almost nothing that *hasn't* been included in the SG IP at some point or other that you can draw on or ditch as the designers see fit.

Of course, lack of direction given by the IP can be one of the hangups for design - throw too much or too little and you risk being overambitious and not meeting requirements or under and dissapointing the fanbase whom you are trying to attract by going with IP. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 31, 2006, 04:12:08 PM

Having the Trust in the game would open up so many scenarios it makes my head spin.  More often than not they pull the biggest Deus Ex Machina shit in the show.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 31, 2006, 04:19:18 PM

What wouldn't?  The IP for Stargate includes just about anything scifi you can think up.  Really, you can go for a SG-1 clone, or the Earth militant group (their name escapes me), free Jaffa (sp), or Jaffa in the service of a snake, or any other of unknown number of minor factions.  Then throw in Atlantis.  Mix and match any assortment of ancient/modern/alien/godly alien technology you like.  Add or leave out space ships as you like.  You might actually have a fun Jedi quest, with holocubes replaced by Wratih farming for their super steroid stuff.  There's almost nothing that *hasn't* been included in the SG IP at some point or other that you can draw on or ditch as the designers see fit.

Of course, lack of direction given by the IP can be one of the hangups for design - throw too much or too little and you risk being overambitious and not meeting requirements or under and dissapointing the fanbase whom you are trying to attract by going with IP. 

I was thinking in terms of gameplay rather than setting.  Seems like a travel and problem-solving game to me.  Or maybe that's just I get MacGyver mixed up in there.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 12:04:45 AM

There's a brief description of the game on the Cheyenne Mountain Products page. Here's an excerpt:

Stargate Worlds provides players with a form of ranged combat unique to MMORPG that will take full advantage of modern and science fiction weaponry, cover, and terrain. Players will be able to form squads with their friends or use bots for players who want to go solo. Squad leaders will control maneuvers and objectives through an innovative combat control interface. Players may choose to create characters that are members of either the SGC (the Good Guys) or the System Lords (the Bad Guys). Characters are equipped with varied and mixed skills, with the choice to form such classes as Research, Combat Marine, Medical, Scientific, Diplomatic, Engineering, Archeological, and Exploration. PVP will be possible between the two alliances on many contested worlds, actually swaying the balance of power on those planets, and unlocking hidden content. Cooperative play will also be possible, and players will be encouraged to forge temporary alliances to deal with greater threats, such as the Ori.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 01, 2006, 07:58:19 AM

There's a brief description of the game on the Cheyenne Mountain Products page. Here's an excerpt:

Stargate Worlds provides players with a form of ranged combat unique to MMORPG that will take full advantage of modern and science fiction weaponry, cover, and terrain. Players will be able to form squads with their friends or use bots for players who want to go solo. Squad leaders will control maneuvers and objectives through an innovative combat control interface. Players may choose to create characters that are members of either the SGC (the Good Guys) or the System Lords (the Bad Guys). Characters are equipped with varied and mixed skills, with the choice to form such classes as Research, Combat Marine, Medical, Scientific, Diplomatic, Engineering, Archeological, and Exploration. PVP will be possible between the two alliances on many contested worlds, actually swaying the balance of power on those planets, and unlocking hidden content. Cooperative play will also be possible, and players will be encouraged to forge temporary alliances to deal with greater threats, such as the Ori.

I'm guess on this for release...

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #42 on: February 01, 2006, 10:10:20 AM

I'm guess on this for release...

Optimist.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: February 01, 2006, 11:23:06 AM

Sounds like a shooty Guild Wars.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 11:33:24 AM

Statements herein concerning future events and developments and the Company's expectations, beliefs, plans and estimates constitute forward-looking information that involves risks and uncertainties. Cheyenne's actual results could differ materially from those indicated by the forward-looking information.
Yeah. What I said with a liberal dose of Furiously.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:33 AM

More importantly - Schild - they are in Pheonix AZ! Exclusive???

Speaking of which.. Raph - can Wayabvpar and I get a tour of Sony Seattle?

Add me to the list of people who would like to tour Sony Seattle.  Very interested in what the Mythica guys are doing with a new game!

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: February 03, 2006, 10:51:34 AM

Mythica was being made by Microsoft.

Also, now that you mention it, Seattle is hiring an AI programmer. I've not heard what they're working on. But they're obviously working on something.
WayAbvPar

Reply #47 on: February 03, 2006, 12:19:27 PM

Add me to the list of people who would like to tour Sony Seattle.  Very interested in what the Mythica guys are doing with a new game!

Are you a local kid, or just really excited about Sony Seattle?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 03, 2006, 01:11:40 PM

The funny part - is Raph skipped over this thread.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #49 on: February 03, 2006, 03:16:52 PM

Maybe I can help that by mentioning that Jim Byrne who plays General Stoneman in Stargate Infinity is a keen guitarist that plays a 1969 Gibson Hummingbird. By the power of search, Raph should be along shortly.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #50 on: February 04, 2006, 08:22:59 AM

Check back in 4 years.  I wouldn't ignore this one just because of the names, but it's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to give it much attention.

I think the real question becomes, can they drag four+ more years of syndication out of the tv show waiting for this to come out?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 04, 2006, 08:29:28 AM

Mythica was being made by Microsoft.

Also, now that you mention it, Seattle is hiring an AI programmer. I've not heard what they're working on. But they're obviously working on something.

Yes, Mythica was being made by Microsoft.  However, the guys who were making Mythica left shortly after it was cancelled, started FireAnt games, and then "began the SOE Seattle studio" working on a yet titled MMO.

http://sonyonline.com/corp/press_releases/020305_SOE_Seattle.html

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT EXPANDS OPERATIONS WITH SOE-SEATTLE
-Leader in Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming Opens Pacific Northwest Studio -

SAN DIEGO, CA - February 3, 2005 - Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, announced today that it has expanded operations with the formation of a development studio in Seattle, Washington. SOE-Seattle will further increase Sony Online Entertainment's global market share and will strengthen the overall planning and production of premium games.

Matt Wilson will serve as Executive Producer of SOE-Seattle. Wilson had been with Microsoft for over 10 years, leaving to form FireAnt, Inc. with John Smith, Alex Pfaffe, Craig Link and Ed Fries in order to create cutting-edge massively multiplayer online games. All the members of FireAnt will be joining the new studio full-time, with the exception of Ed Fries, who will serve in an advisory role for SOE-Seattle game design and studio management. The SOE-Seattle team has a diverse history of game development, having worked on titles such as Dungeon Siege, Ultima Online, Wing Commander, Asheron's Call, and many others.

"As our business grows, so does the need for more diverse titles," said Russell Shanks, chief operations officer, Sony Online Entertainment. "With the core team's expertise in the video game industry and their passion for making games, we are confident that this new studio will allow us to maintain and expand SOE's position as one of the world-wide leaders in online gaming."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 09:00:53 AM by Mi_Tes »

Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 04, 2006, 08:34:24 AM

Are you a local kid, or just really excited about Sony Seattle?

Not local (although wish I was), but am excited about Sony Seattle.  They have a good team that was just too progressive for MS, so hoping this game works out. 

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #53 on: February 10, 2006, 08:30:03 PM

For those who are interested:

http://www.stargateworlds.com/

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 16, 2006, 11:06:17 AM

quote from one of their posts: "One of the milestones we recently completed was a technical design do***ent." Now, if you look at mmos design from this perspective, it suddenly gets much more sense.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 16, 2006, 12:47:21 PM

Bad touch:

Instances – The game will definitely use instancing for adventures within the Stargate.  That said, the developers also wanted to stress the vast amount of virtual real estate planned for the game, which is not instanced.  Not only do they have large world environments planned, but they also intend on utilizing areas like spacecraft, moons, and potentially the surface of stars and black holes.

Knowledge of high school physics is hard.

http://www.gamergod.com/article.php?article_id=3834

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 16, 2006, 01:29:38 PM

Bad touch:

Instances – The game will definitely use instancing for adventures within the Stargate.  That said, the developers also wanted to stress the vast amount of virtual real estate planned for the game, which is not instanced.  Not only do they have large world environments planned, but they also intend on utilizing areas like spacecraft, moons, and potentially the surface of stars and black holes.

Knowledge of high school physics is hard.

http://www.gamergod.com/article.php?article_id=3834

Not if your ascended. But then all you get to do is sit around in a diner that exists on the head of a pin and shoot nasty looks at each other. The minute you try to interact, they throw you back to the mortal plane all naked and lying unconscious in a field. Talk about losing a level.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 20, 2007, 09:20:56 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise....

Redesign of frontpage pushed out today.  Says Fall 2008 for release.

Tabular Rasa combat mechanics take 2?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 20, 2007, 12:16:22 PM

Putting aside the game for a sec (which quite honestly has been aside forever, to me), what is going on with the IP that makes it a relevant license? There a new show or movie coming out? There a series of books?

I ask because SG:W has always felt to me a bit like STO, except Cheyenne seems a bit more a) interested; and, b) competent. But regardless of being able to build the game, they need to ensure they can market and sell it. And unless there's some major IP activity coming, I can't see this being any more than a minor success.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing except of the probable licensing royalty. Why pay for it if you didn't expect to do better than generic sci-fi world-trotting portals, like, say, TR?  smiley
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 20, 2007, 12:35:55 PM

Putting aside the game for a sec (which quite honestly has been aside forever, to me), what is going on with the IP that makes it a relevant license? There a new show or movie coming out? There a series of books?
Show lasted 10 years. They're doing two or three Sci-Fi movies (ones with real budget and the directors and actors from the show). The spin-off is just wrapping up it's third season. It was, even after they started dicking with the cast and with Sci-Fi's weird "we split out season in half for no goddamn reason and wonder why our numbers are down with no new episode for four months", a highly rated show.

Mostly, though, I think they got the IP for fairly cheap and it DOES lend itself pretty well to the MMORPG thing (I would have gone more Planetside than I think they're doing). Big war, multiple sides, modern-day with Sci-fi elements, and they even have a PnP game to fall back on for ideas on combat and shit. Lots of backstory and stuff they can simply lift out.

And hell -- they have Stargates. The world's first instance portal. :)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 20, 2007, 12:37:16 PM

They've got a movie and 10 seasons to draw inspiration / lore / canon from, beats having to write their own.  Suppose it couldn't be any more or less relevant game world back story than TR, POTBS, or anything else.

Edit:  The series is pretty damn entertaining, and seems to have a pretty wide audience.  It seems to be fairly popular outside of the US as well.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 20, 2007, 01:17:30 PM

They've got a movie and 10 seasons to draw inspiration / lore / canon from, beats having to write their own.  Suppose it couldn't be any more or less relevant game world back story than TR, POTBS, or anything else.

Edit:  The series is pretty damn entertaining, and seems to have a pretty wide audience.  It seems to be fairly popular outside of the US as well.
I'd imagine the Stargate IP owners are also probably less picky than, say, the Tolkien or Star Wars owners. You have to make it "close enough" for the fans, but we're not talking "You used the wrong type of Elvish, fucker!" fans.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 20, 2007, 01:47:38 PM

Also, from what I understand, the writers of the SG series are working hand in hand with the guys at CME.  They've also given CME alot of leeway as to what they can and can't do - which sounds like they're going to allow CME to create SG canon much like Lucas Arts did with BioWare and KOTOR.

I'll play it, and pray for a beta invite, because I'm a MMOwhore.  And it will likely disappoint me, because anything I look forward to crashes and burns  Heartbreak
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 20, 2007, 06:24:55 PM

In other news, Steve Williams (VSOH Diplomacy guy) has been hired by CME.

Good hire.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 20, 2007, 06:59:39 PM

I'd imagine the Stargate IP owners are also probably less picky than, say, the Tolkien or Star Wars owners. You have to make it "close enough" for the fans, but we're not talking "You used the wrong type of Elvish, fucker!" fans.

but how many of them would be interested in a MMORPG?

Liscensing limits your audience.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #65 on: December 20, 2007, 07:51:26 PM

I skimmed this thread and didn't see it mentioned that David "Zeb" Cook was the lead dev. His previous MMO title (which he left to join the SG:W team) was City of Villains. Plus he's done a number of other games and D&D modules.

From my brief readings of some of the other interviews, SG:W (not to be confused with SW:G) is going the FPS route where cover and tactics count quite a bit. As such, they have TR as a reasonable template to learn from and improve on.

Personally, I care little for the IP, but if it's a good game, I'll take a look.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 20, 2007, 08:04:03 PM

Personally, I care little for the IP, but if it's a good game, I'll take a look.

Yea, that's where I'm at too. Good to hear the IP is pretty weighty though. My earlier question was more about whether SG:W could be "WoW with SG characters" or whether it could not only be the IP but *shudder* try something different. If they go as you say they are, I'll definitely be there to check it out. In some beta anyway wink
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 20, 2007, 08:17:32 PM

but how many of them would be interested in a MMORPG?

I don't think so in this case. At it's base, it's pretty simple -- sci-fi set in modern times with Earth as a main staging area are. It's instantly familiar. The entire "Earth" side is straight out of regular culture. Soldiers, P-90 machine guns, grenades, etc. The alien tech is a little different, but it's not as unapproachable as a lot of lesser known sci-fi.

Licensing only limits the audience if you build a game only the IP fans would enjoy. Properly done, using someone else's IP instead of creating your own shouldn't have any effect.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #68 on: December 20, 2007, 10:55:00 PM

In other news, Steve Williams (VSOH Diplomacy guy) has been hired by CME.

Good hire.

Yeah, Steve is great, I'm happy that I'll get to work with him again.  He's the third ex-Sigil person coming over to CME.  (I was the second, and an artist, Thad Clevenger, was first.)

I'm afraid I can't really say anything about the game at this point in time, but CME shouldl be announcing more relatively soon.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 21, 2007, 06:27:32 AM

Completely disagree.  To an extent.

People will play an MMO regardless of IP, as long as the gameplay is solid.  IP gets some people in the door guaranteed.

Solid gameplay keeps them there, and brings in others via word of mouth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced.  
Jump to: