Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced.  (Read 56351 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #140 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:31 PM

...Tabula Rasa?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 03, 2008, 12:52:46 PM

Without the FPS.  Maybe?  The premise of TR was cool.  Execution?  Not so much.

Although, I'd argue that SGW looks 1000 times better than TR even at whatever alpha/beta stage that was filmed at verus TR now.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 03, 2008, 01:01:04 PM

Their offices look nice.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #143 on: July 03, 2008, 02:38:30 PM

...Tabula Rasa?
Yeah that video made me shudder with Tabula Rasa flashbacks.  Totally not thier fault, but still.
schild
Administrator

Reply #144 on: July 03, 2008, 02:49:31 PM

Totally not thier fault, but still.

Uh. What?
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 03, 2008, 02:54:56 PM

Uh. What?

I think he was saying that since no one plays or has played Tabula Rasa, the SG devs can not be held responsible for having their game look exactly as craptastic as TR.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #146 on: July 03, 2008, 03:00:37 PM

I meant it's not their fault I'm scared of going near another sci-fi MMO with first person gun combat, that's Tabula Rasa's fault for scarring me.  But as Oban said there probably aren't too many who played TR so these Stargate people should be fine.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #147 on: July 04, 2008, 03:24:26 PM

Kudos to DarkSign for this then:

Well at least this tells me I dont have to play the Stargate MMO. It's shaping up to be a reskinned Tabula Rasa with better lore and more skills.  awesome, for real

That trailer is full of tabularasaness. It also looks like crap compared with actual TR.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 28, 2008, 07:25:01 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #149 on: July 28, 2008, 08:29:02 AM

Looks like the NGE gameplay, only with cover.  swamp poop

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 28, 2008, 08:42:24 AM

Skipping through the vid, I heard Levels and Raiding UI.  Meh.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #151 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:58 AM

We were going to rent a couple vids, so darn expensive now we just bought a threefer deal, but we had two. So I stumbled across the first Stargate post-series movie and grabbed that one. Had a trailer for the mmo. Looked cool...but screamed dikummo.

I'll just trust Lanty on this one and not turn the sound on the video...

Sad thing is, I do love the SG series and might be weak enough to buy into it anyway :(
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 28, 2008, 10:44:59 AM

No, thats working and smooth like.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #153 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:05 AM

I meant the design, not the execution.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 28, 2008, 11:58:51 AM

I meant the design, not the execution.

Execution is everything..... however.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #155 on: July 28, 2008, 12:47:06 PM

this would be a hard franchise to fuck up.  10 years of content to introduce and exploit.  Instance squad based combat that is premised on the originating content -- so it makes sense.  I mean, all they got to do is execute...

Point is some franchises like ST and SW and even WAR and WoW bring with them complicated expectations.  I don't see SG as complicated.  Rather it ought to help make a quick game with optional depth.  So if they fuck it up it will all be basic stuff -- not like the problem of how to introduce Jedi, for example.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 28, 2008, 04:25:24 PM

this would be a hard franchise to fuck up.  10 years of content to introduce and exploit.  Instance squad based combat that is premised on the originating content -- so it makes sense.  I mean, all they got to do is execute...

Point is some franchises like ST and SW and even WAR and WoW bring with them complicated expectations.  I don't see SG as complicated.  Rather it ought to help make a quick game with optional depth.  So if they fuck it up it will all be basic stuff -- not like the problem of how to introduce Jedi, for example.

Yeah... I like Stargate for the interpersonal stuff. How these specific characters deal with crazy Stargate sci-fi stuff.
If it's going to be all combat, why not make Stargate Battlefront and drop all this MMORPG nonsense?

Oh yeah, MMOG money...  Ohhhhh, I see.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #157 on: July 29, 2008, 06:52:02 AM

the problem of how to introduce Jedi
Hologrind for ascension!
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 29, 2008, 08:53:43 AM

If it's going to be all combat, why not make Stargate Battlefront and drop all this MMORPG nonsense?

How can they make a "techie" profession work?  Bring the techie along, otherwise you can't push the buttons on the computer to finish your mission, despite having killed everything in the way?    The movie and the series did tech poorly:  it was only situational, and invented out of the blue on the spot.  Carter is a soldier, repeatedly shown to be as tough and capable at combat as any of the military guys.  There is no tech class, there are no tech-only weapons or combat devices, and the medics and technicians stay on the base and never go on missions.  Soldiers can operate everything from zats to staves to that anti-replicator weapon O'Neil had on his hand.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:42 AM

the problem of how to introduce Jedi
Hologrind for ascension!
All you need is a lvl 60 Archealogist, and at least a wisdom score of +200 or better (with gear). Just get in a guild with Aphophis and Chronos on farm, and it you'll get enough purples to ascend.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #160 on: July 30, 2008, 07:47:57 AM

How can they make a "techie" profession work?  Bring the techie along, otherwise you can't push the buttons on the computer to finish your mission, despite having killed everything in the way?

Some of the movies from Comic-Con showed the "Start Mini-game" window in detail.  For most mini-games you'll be able to call in other players to play the game for you, if you don't want to play it, or can't play it due to your profession.  There are also NPC contacts you can acquire to get around this if there are no players available to help, or you don't want to bother with players.  If you enjoy playing mini-games you can be a scientist that stays at base, answering calls for help all day long.   
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 30, 2008, 09:41:13 AM

So, I assume I will be able to acquire money and items, somehow, sitting in the base playing other people's minigames all day long, right?  Cause otherwise the "profession" isn't viable.

How?

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I'll see it at release, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:49:43 AM by ajax34i »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #162 on: July 30, 2008, 11:41:40 AM

So, it's like I can hang out around the fountain in Stormwind and beg for locked boxes to pick, or stuff to enchant?  "Arch looking to translate.  Tech looking to solder..."  Le fun!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:15 PM

Tech guys do go on missions in Stargate. Just not necessarily the first encounter ones. They go in after, and do research and jank.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Stargate SG-1 MMOG Announced.  
Jump to: