Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:45:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's... 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  (Read 81216 times)
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 07, 2006, 07:26:11 AM

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this..

Actually, I've also enjoyed the event.  Linen cloth is now worthless to me, but I've been able to grind out linen bandages, turn 'em in, and get some decent items for my level.  I've also been turning in commendations for equipment rather than for reputation, so I've gotten some good stuff, and what I can't use I sell in the AH.

Hell, I was never going to see the new content anyway since I'm perpetually playing alts in lowbie land, so this event has worked out great for me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 07, 2006, 08:36:59 AM

Words which were lost in the magical beauty that is the wee chick in the avatar.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 08, 2006, 04:38:41 PM

Ha ha...farming is a "world event."

Look at yourselves people!

You know what would be an awesome "world event."? Everyone has to type "she sells sea shells down by the sea shore" into chat, and after 10 million times that opens a dungeon.

As far as creating good world events - that's what these people get paid for. It's possible. It might require a little imagination but it's possible. This is basically the single easiest thing they could think of. "Hey get that intern to spend a couple minutes coding up our world event!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 08, 2006, 05:44:18 PM

So.. what can they do? 

Maybe think of something that would involve... *GASP* WORLD PVP?

Seriously do you even play? Silithus has turned into a fucking war zone.  At least on my server theres ten times the world pvp there was before this patch, pvp guilds are having a fucking field day with this.  So far theres been an overwhelmingly POSITIVE result from the War Effort.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #109 on: January 08, 2006, 06:34:33 PM

Fun fact for Horde farming: you can fish whitescale salmon in Alterac Valley.  Yes, you can ignore the inept pickup group's attempt at winning the battleground while you happily fish and rack up frostwolf faction at the same time. All in an area that rarely gets bothered even when the other team is about to win!

It's double plus good when someone starts bitching about it. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 06:36:07 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #110 on: January 08, 2006, 08:03:24 PM

I did get to heckle the people doing the world spawn.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 09, 2006, 06:26:05 AM

This event reminds me of how ATItD works.  Bring stuff to a central location and it unlocks something.

EDIT: I really should drink my coffee and get my brain working before even trying to post anything here.  I hate it when I post something already posted on page 1 of the thread. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:57:51 AM by Xanthippe »
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #112 on: January 09, 2006, 07:59:39 AM

So.. what can they do? 

Maybe think of something that would involve... *GASP* WORLD PVP? Allow people to temporaryly join the Cenarion Hold Armed Forces and the Twilight's Hammer Spearatists or something and let them duke it out around the world. Have objectives all around the world. You don't have a 60 yet? Let me quote you on that one "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" - sit on your fucking ass and get one. I mean who hasn't got a 60 by now? I'm no designer, I'm not even playing wow anymore - All im saying is - there IS a way to make that event better for everyone. You want repetitive? Cool, tie the lower portion of the event with some lower instance. Isn't the point summoning Eranikus right about the end, make people go to Sunken Temple and fight his shade. Having to collect 10,000 fish, IMO, is the worst way out. It's unimaginative and uncreative. Something I wouldn't expect out of Blizzard when I started playing the freaking game and sucked 50 people with me.

World PVP would be the MOST exclusive thing they could have done.

No, I don't have a 60 yet, I could easily and I'm not whining about not having a 60 (my 56 kills many a 60 in World PVP anyways, I have no fear of including my 56 shadow priest in pvp).  But in my guild there are 4 of us maybe, that pvp regularly.  The rest rarely, if ever pvp, and would NEVER participate in an event that had every lvl 60 Field Marshal out one shotting people in world pvp.  On my entire friends list there are probably another 4 people who pvp regularly.  Out of all the people I know, maybe 15 total would enjoy an event that was pvp (and I would be one of them).  The rest would think it's the most absurd thing they've ever heard.

I pray, literally pray to a God I do not even believe in, but I PRAY that they make part of this event World PvP.  If there is ANY justice in the world, one of the stages of the event will involve World PVP.  The whining and gnashing of teeth around THIS VERY MESSAGE BOARD will be SO GODDAMN CRAZY that it will create an internet singularity, in which the entire fucking internet will simply cease to HAVE EVER EXISTED.  This sheer density of whining will make the internet not only poof into non-existence, but our very memories of the internet will simply vanish.  No more will I ever have to have listened to your absurd notion THAT any event in a MMOG EVER should EVER have involved PvP.

Just getting to post once in the "WORST SCREWUP EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!! I WAS ONE SHOTTED BY A FIELD MARSHAL!!! BLIZZARD WANTS TO EAT OUR BABIES!!!" topic that would inevitably get started on this board would please me so greatly.

ETA:  If you STILL think it's a good idea to have a world pvp event, go fucking read the Alterac Valley is a waste of time thread posted on this very board.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 08:04:16 AM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #113 on: January 09, 2006, 09:12:12 AM

It already has involved pvp on my server and if the rumours of a raid on enemy cities are true it will involve a great deal more as things get down to the wire.

Both the alliance and the horde have one person who is gaining the faction, Sithilus appears to be moving fast from a cease fire for the good of being the #1 server (a feat we are surely not going to acomplish, I'd say top10 would be remarkable) to a war-zone.  In fact I expect I might head out there with the catass' next time for some good old fashioned face smashing fun.  But first I need my 7k rep in AV for exaulted... fucking stupid AV..

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 09, 2006, 09:35:14 AM

I don't know if this belongs here or in Board Thread of the Day but

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-dungeons&t=300974&p=1&tmp=1#post300974

appears to be plenty of world pvp going on here.

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #115 on: January 09, 2006, 09:41:40 AM

You guys (from what I can tell) are talking about PvP on PvP servers.  Anyone who didn't see this coming is silly.  You can't put a bunch of PvP flagged guys in a zone and say "go nuts, the first one to the top wins!" and not expect a HUGE amount of pvp.

He was talking about flagging people for PvP on a PvE server to increase the World PvP in an event.

None of the events so far flag you for pvp do they?

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
schild
Administrator

Reply #116 on: January 09, 2006, 09:42:03 AM

I remember The Regulators in a bunch of other games. They are a bunch of dickheads. I'd stay the hell away from any server they are on.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #117 on: January 09, 2006, 10:45:59 AM

You guys (from what I can tell) are talking about PvP on PvP servers.  Anyone who didn't see this coming is silly.  You can't put a bunch of PvP flagged guys in a zone and say "go nuts, the first one to the top wins!" and not expect a HUGE amount of pvp.

He was talking about flagging people for PvP on a PvE server to increase the World PvP in an event.

None of the events so far flag you for pvp do they?

I play on a PVP server, and so far we have completed two of the world events. The PVP truce held (for the most part) through both events. After the events ended it usualy would break down in to a melee, but having 100+ horde and 100+ alliance in one place with no real fighting is kind of cool. At the first events, I was running around doing /dance with a bunch of guys that normalls I would be trying my damndest to kill, and they would dance back. It was kind of refreshing for a change. Also, getting a close up look at some of the other factions gear is kind of interesting also.

I personally have spent a total of 0 minutes farming, but I show up at the world events, and helped kill Eranikus at the second event. So for me, its fun, with no real downside.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #118 on: January 09, 2006, 10:56:34 AM

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-dungeons&t=300974&p=1&tmp=1#post300974

Frankly, that's pretty hilarious.  You don't want other guilds to screw around with you?  DON'T PLAY ON A PVP SERVER.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 09, 2006, 11:00:48 AM

Speaking of PvP servers...  In playing my warlock, so far, I've seen plenty of ?? leveled Alliance(mostly in Barrens), and have so far not been attacked by any of them.  Tehy'll stand there looking at me, maybe wave... The one alliance I've seen that had a number for a level was +8 levels from me(29 to my 21), a paladin... and he ran away from me.  I did kinda chase him, I have no illusions my 21 warlock could have been anything but a speedbump to someone that much higher, especially a paly.

Is this really normal?  Or does Dishonor really work to curtail n00b ganking?

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: January 09, 2006, 11:22:55 AM

Speaking of PvP servers...  In playing my warlock, so far, I've seen plenty of ?? leveled Alliance(mostly in Barrens), and have so far not been attacked by any of them.  Tehy'll stand there looking at me, maybe wave... The one alliance I've seen that had a number for a level was +8 levels from me(29 to my 21), a paladin... and he ran away from me.  I did kinda chase him, I have no illusions my 21 warlock could have been anything but a speedbump to someone that much higher, especially a paly.

Alkiera

There is no dishonor for noob ganking, its just not much fun for most people.

I am the .00000001428%
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: January 09, 2006, 11:54:58 AM

The Alliance are probably in the Barrens to mine copper for turn-ins.

There is no dishonor in killing players of any level.  Only NPCs.  (Doesn't make sense to me, either).

I can't recall if Barrens is contested or Horde territory.  I thought it was Horde, but I don't recall.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #122 on: January 09, 2006, 01:12:11 PM

Well, I'm disappointed to report that the catass who told me to stop levelling and farm linen is tacitly supported by the guild officers.  It seems that while I was gone (6 months) the guild underwent a rather interesting metamorphosis from people who had played one game together well to a completely catassed-out-the-ass guild.  In other words, I am a very small minority.  (I even got booted today briefly for daring to tell the catass to stop telling me how to play - the guy's not even an officer). 

Mate, why are you still in that guild then?

On another note, I'm having the time of my life on WoW. My wife started playing and I started a mage with her. We're level 28 and couldn't give two sideways shits about some new top-end content I'll never see. I never got to Time in EQ, either. I may sell some Runecloth today though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #123 on: January 09, 2006, 01:12:36 PM

Your going to be safe for the most part from ganking until you get to STV, in STV everyone gets ganked those are the rules.  At least that is how it works on my pvp server.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #124 on: January 09, 2006, 01:26:12 PM

Alkiera

Alkiera,

Barrens is Horde, which means that Alliance are open to be attacked at any time, but you have to flag yourself for PvP to get attacked.  Also, a 21st level Warlock should be able to take a 28th level Pali.  Fear + DOT is your friend.  If you keep him near perma feared, then he is dead.

:-D

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 09, 2006, 03:27:12 PM

Alkiera

Alkiera,

Barrens is Horde, which means that Alliance are open to be attacked at any time, but you have to flag yourself for PvP to get attacked.  Also, a 21st level Warlock should be able to take a 28th level Pali.  Fear + DOT is your friend.  If you keep him near perma feared, then he is dead.

Even on a PvP server?  I thought PvP servers everyone was liable to ganking at all times... As to the paly thing, maybe that's why he kept running when I followed him... I could see animations for various buffs(seals, etc) going off over his head as he ran.

Alkiera

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: January 09, 2006, 03:39:08 PM

Alkiera

Alkiera,

Even on a PvP server?  I thought PvP servers everyone was liable to ganking at all times... As to the paly thing, maybe that's why he kept running when I followed him... I could see animations for various buffs(seals, etc) going off over his head as he ran.

Alkiera

Only on contested zones, gotta keep the total newbs safe somehow.  Most zones are contested but anything under 18 or so is horde/alliance.

I am the .00000001428%
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: January 09, 2006, 03:43:42 PM

Only on contested zones, gotta keep the total newbs safe somehow.  Most zones are contested but anything under 18 or so is horde/alliance.

Ahhh...  That explains an awful lot.  Especially the ?? melee guy who kept steping between me and my target, I think hoping I'd accidentally r-click on him and initiate combat in Tirisfal Glade.

Alkiera

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: January 10, 2006, 11:34:15 AM

I'm not sure.  I'm a fly on the wall basically.  I don't play peak hours, I don't raid (and probably won't, unless they occur at times when I can, like weekends), I generally solo or group with non-guild players.  I do enjoy helping people who are lower than me, and I can give out arc transmutes and gather needed herbs.

I'd really prefer to be in a guild with people who are older, have kids, and jobs or otherwise more similar to me.  Unfortunately, the people I know like that are playing different games.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #129 on: January 10, 2006, 02:19:44 PM

I'm not sure.  I'm a fly on the wall basically.  I don't play peak hours, I don't raid (and probably won't, unless they occur at times when I can, like weekends), I generally solo or group with non-guild players.  I do enjoy helping people who are lower than me, and I can give out arc transmutes and gather needed herbs.

I'd really prefer to be in a guild with people who are older, have kids, and jobs or otherwise more similar to me.  Unfortunately, the people I know like that are playing different games.

Well it seems that your guild isn't nearly as casual as you, and in fact smells of Cat and Ass. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but reading quotes like this tell me you'd be better off unguilded and eventally finding one with mature non-h4rdc0r3 people in it. Go grind fabric, bitch, so *I* can raid. Apparently.

reminds me of EQ, and is enough to get people like me cranky enough to start bitching at guild slackers not helping to get this lousy crap over with. Such things were never necessary before.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: January 10, 2006, 03:36:01 PM

I never before considered 30 hrs a week as casual, but it certainly appears to be the case here.

Heh.  Funny the people you run into around here.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #131 on: January 10, 2006, 03:44:47 PM

I never before considered 30 hrs a week as casual, but it certainly appears to be the case here.

Heh.  Funny the people you run into around here.

30 hours? Well perhaps casual-levelling mentality rather than levelto60asapthenraid mentality would be a better fit. Else you'd be 60 by now. And on your alt as well.

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this..

Actually, I've also enjoyed the event.  Linen cloth is now worthless to me, but I've been able to grind out linen bandages, turn 'em in, and get some decent items for my level.  I've also been turning in commendations for equipment rather than for reputation, so I've gotten some good stuff, and what I can't use I sell in the AH.

Aren't the linen turnin rewards all like a level 9 cloak or something? I've got tons of linen in alt storage in case a friend or alt wants to level up tailoring or firstaid, and unless I can get something worthwhile I'd rather keep them for said future alts/friends.

Also, I now officially likey the event. I've made about 40g from selling the Runecloth I'd accumulated. That's half a mount for the upcoming toons right there!

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: January 10, 2006, 04:24:15 PM

PvP is going to be the norm in the new expansion since those lands are PvP enabled even on the PvE servers.

It's going to suck for people like me who have both no interest and no skill in PvP combat.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #133 on: January 10, 2006, 04:31:12 PM

ohemgees really? 

I like this new expansion now, elf boobs and all!

Really it doesn't change my life at all since I play on a pvp server but here is hoping this will force blizz to make the pvp matter in their new "war" or whatever they replace contested with, zones.

-William Gibson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #134 on: January 10, 2006, 04:32:02 PM

where'd you hear this? Linky please?

Sounds like a silly business move if it's true. But moreso it sounds like an internet rumour.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 10, 2006, 05:22:59 PM

Its at the end of the Computer Gaming World article on Outland in the Dec. '05 issue:

While all the WoW races will have strong motivation incentives to go back to Outland .... the designers are delighted to also point out that the relative "truce" between them all (well, except on PvP servers) will have no place on Outland. 

"its like the Wild West out there," says Metzen. "It's far from home.  There are Horde and Alliance leaders stuck out in Outland going nuts, like Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now."

"In Warcraft III," says Kaplan, "we brought all the races together.  We've learned in WoW, though, that the more everybody hates each other, the better."

You hear that, everyone?  No CareBears in Outland.  Blizzard has made it official.

I agree it is a bad business decision.  My guess is the board will explode with complaints, people will cancel accounts, and Blizzard will back down.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 05:33:04 PM by Brolan »
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: January 10, 2006, 05:44:27 PM

My former horde guild.  Before I quit.  For the 3rd time =/
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: January 10, 2006, 06:05:15 PM

Geez that's dumb. Isn't the whole point of PvP vs PvE servers that you can choose which playstyle you like?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #138 on: January 10, 2006, 10:31:57 PM

I just want to say, the amount of linen we're supposed to gather is absurd. I mean really, who was blizzard kidding with this? 800,000 linen! You get roughly 80 linen from a Deadmines run. So, from that logic it's 10,000 Deadmines runs. Say rougly 1,000 people even care about this on the server, and that's 10 runs per person at about an hour a run. That's 10 hours farming linen for 1,000 people. 10,000 man hours just to finish one aspect of the war grind.

I suppose it's not much different than 10 hours somewhere else, but this is to specifically go back and get drops off of trivial mobs. I just thought they'd scale it up towards the upper end having more runecloth required than linen cloth. It's the 60s that are gunning to open this crap anyway.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: January 10, 2006, 11:25:45 PM

Deadmines is actually pretty bad for linen, you get mostly wool.
RFC is good for linen, but it's right in the heart of orgrimmar, so you'll die 235212519878 times getting there.

BTW, alliance have 5-6 quests that involve going to the Barrens at some point (warlock 20, warlock 30, warrior 30, ST unlock quest, felwood cleansing quest, etc etc... and also accessing the 4 instances that'd otherwise be horde-only) and two that involve going to Tirisfal (halloween event, barov... or heck, even just going to SM). Be thankful that you don't have to go to red zones as horde ('cept for the fair and maybe the druid sealform?).. enemy territory is just a huge grief-a-thon on a pvp server with plenty of bored 60s, unless you're a rogue.

-- Z.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Behold the massive World Event that opens the Gates of Ahn Quiraj, it's...  
Jump to: