Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172918 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14490 on: March 30, 2021, 07:04:26 AM

Last Epoch is keeping me busy.

Getting better every quarter. Played the game enough now that the story mode is boring as fuck and I hope they make something to help skip leveling in the future.
I've been waiting on that in Path of Exile for years.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14491 on: March 30, 2021, 10:56:21 AM

The acts in POE are better than Last Epochs leveling story. It's at least varied in color.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14492 on: April 01, 2021, 06:34:37 PM

Anyone play Control? The ultimate edition is 60% off right now.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14493 on: April 02, 2021, 06:54:39 AM

Control is fantastic.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14494 on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:19 AM

I need to make another try at it. I thought it seemed interesting but also it just did not fully grab me for some reason.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14495 on: April 02, 2021, 09:11:48 AM

I started it, died to first boss (yeah yeah I know, not a hard fight) and decided I would wait till I had an RT card. And now a year later I’m still waiting for cards to be available. So probably 2023 before I try it again.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #14496 on: April 02, 2021, 06:35:56 PM

I‘d like Control a whole lot more if it was a walking simulator. The combat is about the least interesting thing in this game and it isn’t even particularly good mechanically.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #14497 on: April 02, 2021, 06:39:20 PM

I‘ve been replaying Dark Souls and interestingly enough it’s a lot easier the second time around.

I’ve also played a lot of Dorf Romantik, which is a small indie tile placement game where you place tiles to build rivers, cities, fields and woods and complete quests to get more tiles. You go for high scores and it ends when you eventually run out of tiles.

It has an almost zen-like quality and it’s very relaxing and chill.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14498 on: April 02, 2021, 06:59:22 PM

I'd been waiting for Control UE to be cheap af. Super great. On a 980ti because it's not really worth writing home about the graphics. Anyway, it's the SCP video game I've wanted for years. Could they have dug deeper, sure.

SCP is Control: the walking simulator: http://www.scpwiki.com/ probably the best collection of fiction on the web.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14499 on: April 03, 2021, 01:13:04 AM

If you want a video on the Origins and explanation of SCP you could do a lot worse than spending 28 minutes watching or listening to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oibFGmea1nw

I think the overall concept of SCP is great.

Hic sunt dracones.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14500 on: April 03, 2021, 04:33:40 AM

Control is pretty good, yeah. I've not heard of SCP before playing the game, but I dig the concept. That said, the combat started to feel 'eh' for me around halfway through the game... it's not just the difficulty / level of precision required for some boss fights, but rather the relative simple cadence of combat (basically alternating between autohit telekinetic attacks and auto-reloading weapons). I'd still put Control in my top 5 for 2019 behind Disco Elysium, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Baba Is You and Fell Seal... man, just looking at that list makes me nostalgic for 2019, fuck covid.

Speaking of which, I just finished Disco Elysium again (the Final Cut edition) and it's pretty great! They didn't add THAT much new content (the political vision quests are maybe 30-45min of gameplay each, though I think it varies a lot between the 4), but just having full VA for the characters is a great change (even if new Cuno isn't nearly as awesomely obnoxious as old Cuno).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14501 on: April 03, 2021, 09:03:02 AM

I have scored 200 hours of Escape from Tarkov in less than two weeks. This is one big mind fuck of a game.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14502 on: April 04, 2021, 01:02:08 PM

Control needs to remove or make optional a couple hours of gameplay in the run up to the ashtray maze. And do something about the final encounter, because it is crap.

But people need to play control just to do the ashtray maze.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14503 on: April 04, 2021, 03:51:06 PM

The final encounter is incredibly underwhelming, especially for such a cool game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14504 on: April 05, 2021, 06:36:08 AM

Been plunking around a bit in GR Wildlands, maybe 8 hours in at this point. Just kinda getting familiar with how the mechanics work and unlocking skill points in the newb area. I like it thus far, decent big sandbox with adequate toys to play with. I'm withholding judgement on the map for a while, but it feels like it's more on the Just Cause end of the spectrum, vs a Far Cry 5 or Days Gone, both of which feel a bit more hand-crafted. Could just be that I dislike the climate of the region the game is set in  why so serious?

Upscaling from 720 has been working mostly great. Pretty solid mid-40s overall, dips down into mid-30s in heavy scenes (which to me is still pretty playable) and hits 60 in simple scenes. Looks good in motion and great stationary (thus hard to screenshot results), vegetation transparency can get a bit mad at times, though that might be the engine, but the motion blur feature smooths out the worst of the FSAA freakout from the veg. Text can be difficult to read in motion, but just looking directly at it will resolve it. Overall a few more compromises compared to Cyberpunk 2077, but it gets the framerates to acceptable rates while preserving ultra quality settings.

That said, I hope I can snag a 3080 and build a new pc /this/ year, before jumping into Breakpoint...

Still puttering around in Valheim. Got the basic setup of my stone fort done, and the docks. It sits on a nice central bay on a relatively thin neck of land, so I have a secondary dock on the other side of the island and a decent road. Ran my first few shipments of bronze from my mining regions, splurged on a bunch of bronze stuff to just get a little extra att/def in the swamps. Basic portal hub setup done, too. Glad I didn't rush this game, having a cool infrastructure coming together is nice.

The flatwound cables I put on the bass are performing really well, this may be my new setup going forward. I'm using La Bella strings, from right here in NY. Short scale flatwounds, in their 'medium' gauge (the thickest they have for this style). While the initial wear on my fingers is way down, I'm prone to slide more, which is giving me a whole new set of calluses. I've always done a lot of legato anyway, but the smoothness of the slides and ability to get an almost fretless feel at times is just too nice. The thickness feels great, just need to beef up the hands a bit more but they hold up to most of my abuse when I'm in the zone. A lot of the anomolies from playing very hard are solved by the combo of thickness and flat winding. Something like Suck My Kiss I would have to spend a lot more energy and thought trying to moderate my playing and hit the right spots on the bass to reduce unwanted sounds from creeping in...now I can mostly just slap the shit out of it and it sounds great.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14505 on: April 05, 2021, 09:48:35 AM

Finished Dishonored 2. Very definition of an "average" game. If I didn't play the first and enjoy it so much, I would have probably put this down before the end. There was so little there in regards to the story and the integration of the story and game play that it shone a particularly strong light on just how mediocre the gameplay and levels were. New outsider powers are a bit strong as well, I probably could have used them to greater effect, but I stopped caring about being stealthy in the last few stages.

It's free on game pass, so there's no risk, other than you're probably wasting your time and could be playing better games.

Speaking of better games: playing Disco Elysium for the first time. The writing and voice acting is just superb. Enjoying this so far, if not completely enjoying having so many skill checks at a very low chance of success. The failures are still fun. I could do with a little less infodump, but at least it's all high quality.

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14506 on: April 06, 2021, 10:55:23 AM

Started hacking into the pile of games I bought but haven't played. SO today I decided to do carrion of Carrion, where you play a red tentacled horror trying to take over a base and eat all the humans. Its in old stile picilated 2d graphics with really adds to the style

In practical terms you move with the left mouse button and interact with the right mouse button, and have various other powers you gain through the game While you are very strong, in many ways you are actually sneaking about as even a basic goon with a handgun will wreck your shit if you let him get a few shots into you. So it is very much a puzzle game as you try and figure out how to clear rooms, finding places to change size to use the different abilities you get at different mass sizes, find your way to new areas and so on. All in all really absorbing. Music and sound are fantastic too.

Minuses are there is no map, so it;s very easy to wind up running in circles for 20 minutes trying to find that room where you half remember you can get through now you can get through that barrier. Also I would really like them to have the ability to lock doors as I keep accidentally closing them again as I pass through. Also you have to backtrack a fair bit.

It's supposed to be rather a short game (4 hours or so according to reviews) but its well worth checking out. I'm having a blast with it 3 and a half hours in.

Gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtLvqrEexk

*edit* After me complaining about it I figure out you can rip doors off their hinges. Well, that solves that problem!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:04:11 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14507 on: April 06, 2021, 10:36:28 PM

Been plunking around a bit in GR Wildlands, maybe 8 hours in at this point. Just kinda getting familiar with how the mechanics work and unlocking skill points in the newb area. I like it thus far, decent big sandbox with adequate toys to play with. I'm withholding judgement on the map for a while, but it feels like it's more on the Just Cause end of the spectrum, vs a Far Cry 5 or Days Gone, both of which feel a bit more hand-crafted. Could just be that I dislike the climate of the region the game is set in  why so serious?

Upscaling from 720 has been working mostly great. Pretty solid mid-40s overall, dips down into mid-30s in heavy scenes (which to me is still pretty playable) and hits 60 in simple scenes. Looks good in motion and great stationary (thus hard to screenshot results), vegetation transparency can get a bit mad at times, though that might be the engine, but the motion blur feature smooths out the worst of the FSAA freakout from the veg. Text can be difficult to read in motion, but just looking directly at it will resolve it. Overall a few more compromises compared to Cyberpunk 2077, but it gets the framerates to acceptable rates while preserving ultra quality settings.

That said, I hope I can snag a 3080 and build a new pc /this/ year, before jumping into Breakpoint...

Great to read that you did start GR Wildlands, my 340-hour game. The map is even bigger than you think it is... there's snow, there's desert, there's jungle. Once you get into the rhythm of your preferred fighting style and unlock a bunch of skills, it will open up. Especially if you steal lots of helicopters.

Breakpoint? I tried it twice and put it down. I waited till they "fixed it" and until they added squad members before I tried it, but it still felt like a 5/10. Instead of building on the Wildlands experience (9/10 for me), they tried to make something completely different and lost what made Wildlands work.

I went back and played the Wildlands expansions, but the main original campaign is by far the best thing (despite being party to war crimes). I restarted the original campaign, this time as a blonde woman instead of a tattooed male, and set the difficulty on Extreme (which is too hard). Got about halfway through and had my fill, but also my money's worth, by far.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:44:41 PM by Tale »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14508 on: April 07, 2021, 08:06:08 AM

Finished Carrion with 9 and a half hours playtime. I really want to know how people can say "short game, only 4 hours!" ya maybe if you've played it before and know where everything is and have all the tricks down, but I only found one room that a complete ass that I died over and over in. I think there's a lot of bullshit said in reviews.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Would munch humans again.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14509 on: April 07, 2021, 10:49:38 AM

Went back to finish the Atlantis questline in AC: Odyssey. I dunno if I'm going to bother much longer. It's fine? I guess? The visualization of Elysium is cool. It's also kind of annoying--running around to the teleporters most of the time isn't worth the trouble, I just start climbing and or I just jump. I wish the Isu guards did something other than disable my cool moves, it just means I either spend more time beating them down or I stealth-kill every fucking thing. (Thank god the statue guys don't activate if you stealth-murder someone right in front of them.) It kind of seems to exemplify what's really wrong with the entire meta-premise of Assassin's Creed. It would be vastly more compelling if Kassandra were in the land of the actual gods and realizing she'd basically ascended to demi-godhood and her reactions could be written that way, just as it would be more compelling if AC was just "actual history of the assassins v. templars" rather than "modern-day people simulating actual history via some kind of DNA machine thingus". Even with the modern-day frame being about as minimal as possible I still fucking hate it and I still hate all the references to the Isu blah blah blah.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14510 on: April 07, 2021, 04:00:06 PM

I also hate the modern meta-plot in AC, and have from the very first one. Have they even had a modern one, yet? I thought that's what they had all been building to, then they killed Desmond kinda randomly and I thought they were admitting it was all stupid...then they had modern shit again in the next one.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14511 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:55 AM

The DNA memory conceit was just too good a crutch to explain moving the plot forward years, including secret messages and such as hunt Easter egg prizes, the silly games you do, and so on. And its the Lost thing where you can trundle on for years asking questions and hinting at a wider plot, without having to resolve anything or even bother having an overall plot.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14512 on: April 08, 2021, 04:48:10 AM

Does anyone actually like it, though? Literally everyone I've ever talked to about it is somewhere on the spectrum between "I don't care about the modern segments at all" and "The modern segments actively detract from the fun."

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14513 on: April 08, 2021, 06:55:10 AM

I like the idea of it. It sucks in the game because it's terribly implemented at every level.

There are so many cool things you could do with a modern inhabiting a historical assassin, and at the same time so many cool things you can do with the 'aliens uplifting humanity' and 'ancient tech remnants hidden behind secret societies' kinda stuff. Just like the gameplay and gameworld itself, I think the whole project is watered down by being too big of a project. Though I'm sure any attempt to focus it and make it anything more than 'dick around in a big open world' would destroy the fun they've managed to unearth.

Over the last 2 years i've played Origin and Odyssey, and while Odyssey is the better game overall, it was so goddamned samey that I won't even try playing the viking version for at least another year or two....and I love viking.

Anyway, I wish there were more integration with the modern stuff. Since the skills bleed forward, take those shitty stealth segments and make a light shooter like Days Gone during the 'spy on the researchers' segments or something. Even puzzles that jump forward and back in time have been done a million times better by indie games. It's a great idea that's completely wasted by the developer.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14514 on: April 08, 2021, 08:22:15 AM

I didn't mind the future stuff at all as it was walled into its own area. Bearing in mind that I've only played the first Assassins creed to completion, what drove me nuts was the gamy stuff. Like in one mission I had to do 3 out of 6 activities to proceed. Fair enough I think so I run a roof race, beat up some toughs and something else. All nothing to do with the target. So then I take Altair back to the boss and he starts spouting all this stuff about the target that he had found out. And I was thinking "How do you know all this stuff dude, you haven't even gone near him!"

I find that kind of gamey shit far more world breaking than popping back into the future world every so often. Progressing the story despite the main character not actually doing anything to progress the story, simply becasue you have ticked a bunch of arbitrary boxes, wrecks it for me.

Like I said maybe they fixed it in future ACs I really don't know. ANd its been pretty obvious that the Aliens plot was going nowhere from day 1, so I just slotted it into the easter egg category.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14515 on: April 08, 2021, 09:07:34 AM

Over the last 2 years i've played Origin and Odyssey, and while Odyssey is the better game overall, it was so goddamned samey that I won't even try playing the viking version for at least another year or two....and I love viking.

If one was to pick up and play any AC game, is it Odyssey?  Or maybe Black Flag?  I never really got into the series after trying both the original some other one set during or around the American Revolution, but I feel I might be missing out a bit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14516 on: April 08, 2021, 09:15:03 AM

If Black Flag is the Sailing ship one then pretty much everyone loves that one. So being EA they immediately dumped all sailing ship stuff out of the series as being excellent takes work. They would rather have people laying the same money for mediocre than build up expectations of quality.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14517 on: April 08, 2021, 09:39:27 AM

Sir T, Odyssey had sailing as a central theme, the naval part of the game was important. I hate pirates, so I've never played Black Flag, don't know if the naval parts had changed, it was soundly mediocre in Odyssey. Even the Risen series lost me because of pirates. Couldn't manage to finish their first pirate-themed entry, skipped the second one entirely. Played Elex through quite thoroughly, so for me, setting is important.

The American Revolution is one of my favorite time periods that has not really been done very well. I tried AC III when it released and then again last year, I think the formula of the game has changed enough since then that I just like the newer stuff. AC III just felt clunky and weird, despite being a remaster. I'm angry about that, I really want a good game in that period. I'm even considering This Land Is My Land, despite it looking like hot garbage.

I haven't played the viking one. Between Odyssey and Origin, I preferred Odyssey. I think between the last 3 games it boils down more to which setting you like the best, I know egyptphiles that love Origin. But it's pretty samey as far as the actual gameplay goes (albeit more ship stuff in Odyssey, for reasons that should be obvious!).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14518 on: April 08, 2021, 10:35:31 AM

Black Flag is a lot of fun, but it's maybe looking a bit long in the tooth?

I loved the naval combat in Black Flag and hated it in Odyssey, I got so I'd do almost anything to avoid the naval missions unless there was no way to progress without one.

The series as a whole just feels to me like the most fun a mediocre AAA game can be. It's like a really great looking sports car that turns out to have an underpowered engine and also can't drive on most roads actually. Only a few ACs are actually bad to the point that you hate them, only a few are actually good to the point that you really love them. The one thing I'd say Odyssey and Origins had were modestly engaging characters and really well-designed environments. But they're just so polluted with minigames and incredibly repetitious looping play, with environments that look beautiful but are actually kind of empty--there's almost nothing you 'discover' in the environment that isn't going to be used in a very predictable way by very predictable quest designs. There's nothing that's just there for the sake of being there that is also something you can interact with--if it's not for use in a quest, it's effectively just a painted background or flavor element.

But that's "open-world" as most devs hear it. Almost nobody does anything differently with that concept except maybe Bethesda, and maybe even they will never really do that again.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14519 on: April 08, 2021, 11:53:04 AM

If one was to pick up and play any AC game, is it Odyssey?  Or maybe Black Flag?  I never really got into the series after trying both the original some other one set during or around the American Revolution, but I feel I might be missing out a bit.
Origins was the first to switch to a "hitbox" combat system rather than a synchronized animation system (a la the Batman Arkham or Middle Earth Shadow games) of the previous games. Origins was also the first to have an RPG gear leveling system where your character and gear levels determines your damage and defense. Oh and if the leveling grind it too much to bear, Ubisoft conveniently will sell you XP boosters for real money because, Ubisoft. Of the new-RPG-style games most people would agree with Sky above that Odyssey is better than Origins but not by much so which setting you prefer (Ancient Greece or Egypt) and whether or not you want to play a female protagonist (Origins is male-only) probably matters more.

Of the earlier non-RPG-gear-grind games I believe the general consensus is the top games are in no particular order:

* The Enzo Trilogy (II, Brotherhood, Revelations)
* Black Flag
* Syndicate

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:01:06 PM by Trippy »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14520 on: April 08, 2021, 12:00:26 PM

If Black Flag is the Sailing ship one then pretty much everyone loves that one. So being EA they immediately dumped all sailing ship stuff out of the series as being excellent takes work. They would rather have people laying the same money for mediocre than build up expectations of quality.
That's Ubisoft, not EA. Ubisoft is bad but not EA bad. And ships are in Origins (as a token thing) and Odyssey (as a major feature) but in Odyssey you can avoid most of the naval stuff except as a means to unlock fast travel locations if you want to while sailing and ship combat are integral to Black Flag.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14521 on: April 08, 2021, 12:11:17 PM

Fair enough. Mea Culpa.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14522 on: April 08, 2021, 02:35:05 PM

The Ezio Trilogy was my favorite part of the series; if there's a remastered collection on whatever system you're looking at it's a good place to start. I didn't play Black Flag because I wanted an assassin game, not a pirate game. Origins is fine, but nothing particularly remarkable; it's pretty and modern but everything feels very samey.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #14523 on: April 08, 2021, 06:35:59 PM

Finished Carrion with 9 and a half hours playtime. I really want to know how people can say "short game, only 4 hours!" ya maybe if you've played it before and know where everything is and have all the tricks down, but I only found one room that a complete ass that I died over and over in. I think there's a lot of bullshit said in reviews.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Would munch humans again.

I dunno, seems fairly accurate to me.  According to my library, I beat it with 86% of achievements, with 5h 5min of playtime, and I wasn't exactly sailing through it.  No doubt it's longer if you plan to 100% it, but if you're just going for the end credits, 4h seems reasonable.  Unless there's been some massive post-launch patch which added a bunch of levels or something.

The DNA memory conceit was just too good a crutch to explain moving the plot forward years, including secret messages and such as hunt Easter egg prizes, the silly games you do, and so on. And its the Lost thing where you can trundle on for years asking questions and hinting at a wider plot, without having to resolve anything or even bother having an overall plot.

I reeeeeally hated the DNA thing.  First of all, it's derpy pseudoscience (I'd prefer if they'd just said you're the reincarnation of Altair, or something, rather than trying to make it sound scientific, because then it raises all kinds of "but how does THAT work" questions that a AAA video game is not remotely interested in answering).  But the bigger problem is that it means you don't actually do anything in the game.  Altair and Ezio and company died hundreds of years ago, and your actions have no impact on the things they actually saw or did.  Likewise, it means the supporting cast in the modern setting can't have any presence or impact in the past setting.  It's like a movie where the characters have to watch a movie; the movie-within-a-movie might be a good movie in it's own right, but if the drama in it isn't going to have anything to do with what's happening with the overarching plot, one of the stories is always going to be superfluous.  Time travel would have worked, or alternate dimensions, or something, but the DNA memory stuff just seems like an attempt to include some goofy fantasy aspects without making it look like goofy fantasy.

Plus, it makes the whole open world aspect of the games just a bit ridiculous.  I can see why Ezio might want to buy up every shop in Florence or whatever and collect a pile of money, and as a player who's trying to kill some time on a Monday, it makes sense for me to do, but it doesn't make sense for Desmond Miles to be doing it while hunted by the Illuminati and trying to find the secret magical dinglebob which will avert the apocalypse next week. 
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14524 on: April 08, 2021, 07:15:43 PM

I tried Origins and couldn't get into it (felt weird being in the same engine as Ghost Recon Wildlands, which I'd just come from). Haven't tried Odyssey.

On a whim, I bought the new Assassin's Creed Valhalla on PS4 and loved it. Bought it again on PC, because the savegame is platform-independent. I've switched between them seamlessly, but stalled because I went back to Elite Dangerous due to its upcoming expansion. Otherwise I'd still be playing Valhalla, and hope to pick it up again. It just has a good feel about it. I like the ships and I like the combat. Others disagree.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: