Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173434 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14455 on: March 13, 2021, 04:56:41 AM

Picked up the remastered Homeworld collection on a sale on GOG. The Original game looks fantastic now. Unfortunately my skills have rotted and the third mission is kicking my ass. And I never realized how "Adagio for Strings" sending choirs of Angels into my ears was wholly mood breaking while I'm swearing at the cruisers blowing up my Salvage Corvettes and popping the cargo thingies.

I do think the game has been altered a bit in the revamp as I don't remember those mission 3 cruisers kicking my strike craft so badly. Still I'm getting it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14456 on: March 13, 2021, 07:42:22 AM

Wasn't super-impressed with Valheim but I'll do a bit more of it today to see if I feel any differently.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14457 on: March 13, 2021, 12:03:52 PM

Yeah I like the concept but am struggling with the UI and the lack of in-game help. Even just picking stuff off the ground is difficult for me.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14458 on: March 13, 2021, 01:35:58 PM

Just feels really clumsy. At this point the basic conventions of a builder/survival game are so fixed that I need something to hold on to that makes it a new experience. That's either got to be a really new kind of world environment (and this really isn't that) or it's got to be a way better UI (definitely not that) or a really different range of things I can build/craft (nope). I'm just thinking that "how the fuck do I get these floor tiles to snap together on a slight slope" is not "a fun game problem I want to solve".
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14459 on: March 13, 2021, 02:05:37 PM

I just enjoy chilling out and building little outposts and roads and bridges to connect them. I could definitely be much further along, I just decided to tackle the Elder (2nd boss) because I more or less maxed out bronze age tech while doing the aforementioned chilling and building.

Check your log, the raven gives you pretty much everything you need to progress.

It's far from perfect, of course. For something that rewards a relaxed gameplay, the biome POIs need to be expanded, ditto the flora and fauna, etc. But I really dig it for what it is.

Also, every survival builder requires you learn their janky way to build structures. Minecraft may be the only one that ever just let you slap shit down wherever and have it work.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #14460 on: March 14, 2021, 06:00:42 PM

Also, every survival builder requires you learn their janky way to build structures. Minecraft may be the only one that ever just let you slap shit down wherever and have it work.

This is why I keep leaving every other survival builder I try, no matter how pretty. Between janky building that you have to fight and even "glitch" to get it to put two things together correctly, and janky UIs, and janky physics, once the "ooh pretty!" phase is over I'm always left wishing I could be doing this in Minecraft but with these graphics. Then I either quit completely for a while or go back to Minecraft. Minecraft just plain *works*. It doesn't bug out on you, barring extreme lag issues you don't fall through terrain into the void or touch something and suddenly bounce off of it into orbit or try to place a building component and have the game tell you "sure, that looks great!" then refuse to put it there when you click to commit, etc. It. Just. Works.

The root of the problem is engines and engineers. Or rather the suits and artists running the companies who aren't willing to pay for them. 3D Engines are extremely difficult to get to work right, whether you roll your own or license one. To get them to work at all requires those pesky expensive engineers, who just bang away on their keyboards in their cubicles for hours and hours and hours without ever making any pretty textures or models or parkour or crafting systems or any of the other visible features that make great marketing bullet points or demos or whatever. And you need to keep paying them to keep tweaking and fixing your engine because every time you touch one of those finicky engines with a new feature, or even a new graphics card/driver, it breaks.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14461 on: March 15, 2021, 04:23:08 AM

I'm in the same "Spoiled by Minecraft" boat.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14462 on: March 15, 2021, 05:53:08 AM

I kinda enjoyed playing with the Fallout 4 builder for what it was, but ya, even that is a frustrating mess of twisting and turning to get the damn thing to turn green.

So I got through the 3rd mission in Homeworld by grabbing the cryo trays first rather than focus on killing the frigates, so moved on to Mission 5 Now this is where you take on the fleet that destroyed your home planet. So in the original its an intense but very manageable fight against a Carrier pumping out a bunch of fighters and frigates and then *gasp* a destroyer comes into view as the highlight of the mission. Well I started and... wow this is a hell of a lot of frigates and fighter. I don't remember that many enemies. Oh look there's the destroyer. lets see if I can capture it... wait a minute... THERE'S 4 MORE DESTROYERS???

Someone must have watched online people sneering about how easy the campaign was so racked it right up. Bloody heck.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14463 on: March 15, 2021, 06:43:46 AM

Eh, I wish it were different, but having to play by the engine's building rules is fine. I put it in the same boat as janky combat, if there's enough elsewhere in the features that I dig, I put the sum over the parts. And, for me at least, Valheim ticks a lot of boxes (which is good, because it's janky af, too). You can push through the content pretty quickly, especially on a multiplayer server, but I feel that's missing one of the nicest aspects, the chill gameplay (where a lot of it is my own storyline playing out, in my imagination).

Though the chill gameplay does take a slight left turn after killing the 2nd boss  why so serious? Immediately spawned a massive wave of skellies and draughwhateverszombiessoundsgood. So I was immediately introduced to a few new elite mobs and a troop of archers. Luckily I expected bad things and had my portal network ready for the nigh-inevitable corpse run. Grab my stuff, portal home with the new mob drops, troll horde  why so serious? The other side of that slow approach has been killing a ton of skels and trolls in my travels, and I believe the hordes are tied to that...

So then I just started upgrading my base with some more defense, which was a nice change of pace. It does fairly well at keeping a few levels of goals in front of you. As before, my main complaint is the content is stretched a bit thin and inevitably procedural. But I feel they've hit it well enough that it can be fleshed out nicely. Or not, I'm getting more than my money's worth. I'm even thinking of starting a 2nd character on a new server just to take an uber-slow approach and wait even longer for the 2nd boss, heh. I'm doing a quick&dirty defense upgrade but I'm considering a nice replica of a local Revolutionary fort, since the 2nd tier building stuff has decent tools for that era building...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #14464 on: March 15, 2021, 12:31:10 PM

While we're on the subject of janky builder games, I got a friend trying to pull me back into Space Engineers. Apparently they patched a game in with that one some time back....
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14465 on: March 15, 2021, 01:30:55 PM

That was on my shortlist, too. Bought it when it went on sale while I was playing Empyrion (which may be the current bar for jank in a builder...that's still enjoyable).
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #14466 on: March 15, 2021, 05:04:34 PM

I’ve been playing a lot of Loop Hero.

The concept is neat and it’s fun for maybe ten hours or so but so much of the mid game is an absolute slog and grind. Also there’s really not that much depth in the “play cards to create useful terrain” mechanics. There’s not that many interactions, there’s entirely not. Nearly enough card or card variety and it’s trivially easy to break the game and basically loop infinitely.

Soundtrack and art is very competently made but I’m so very done with the fake retro NES aesthetic.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #14467 on: March 15, 2021, 06:01:32 PM

Loop Hero has made a splash among my Twitch followees but I think the gameplay doesn't translate well to streaming at all. The concept as described sounds fun but the lack of variety is very obvious when watching. I may pick it up anyway just for the novelty.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14468 on: March 15, 2021, 06:16:24 PM

Yeah the game plays really really slowly as well*. There's a config file hack to speed up combat but that can also cause issues so it's use at your own risk. Terrain card "cause and effect" is also delayed in many cases which makes it hard to follow what's going on unless you know the game well. I'm not a fan of it because even the most basic mechanics are not explained and I don't feel like having to Google every single thing in the game as I don't have endless amounts of time to try and figure it out myself. Maybe once everything is figured out and there's a good Wiki, the classes are better balanced and the perks are fixed I'll give it another go.

* not even counting that "slow-playing" is a popular strategy
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14469 on: March 15, 2021, 08:28:14 PM

I just picked it up tonight as well, and am enjoying it. It's this bizarre mix of a tower defense, an idler, and a roguelite that's somehow very satisfying. I don't necessarily mind the hidden combinations from cards, though I wish it had a database in-game that explained how you had unlocked the ones you already have. I had to Google the big mountain thing, and only because I didn't realize it was one per map; I kept trying rocks and mountains in various formations to no avail because I already had one.

I agree that it plays slowly, and would benefit from another speed multiplier (up to x4, at least) along with a combat speed control.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14470 on: March 16, 2021, 07:31:07 PM

What is an idler?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14471 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:42 PM

That puts Wildlands on my wishlist, heh.

Wildlands is 70% off on Steam today. I have 340 hours played. By far the best open-world shooter I've played.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14472 on: March 16, 2021, 08:33:32 PM

What is an idler?

An idle game, something that requires minimal interaction. Progress Quest is probably the oldest example; more modern ones would be Realm Grinder or Clicker Heroes.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14473 on: March 17, 2021, 06:50:33 AM

Wildlands is 70% off on Steam today. I have 340 hours played. By far the best open-world shooter I've played.
Thanks!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14474 on: March 17, 2021, 08:17:37 AM

You might want to just buy direct from Ubisoft, they are having the exact same sale. You have to create and link a Ubisoft account to play it on Steam.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14475 on: March 19, 2021, 07:11:07 AM

Man, the difficulty ramps up when you hit the swamps in Valheim. Mostly manageable, but a 2-star archer or getting pushed into a swamp full of leeches, or getting doubled up on poison attacks...there are some pretty wild snares in there for when things go awry! Almost every night this past week I've tried just one thing too many and ended the night naked in my base :D

Just like the old band days!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14476 on: March 19, 2021, 03:39:26 PM

Tried my first Civ VI game in a while. It really bores me, but I can see some improvements to diplomatic AI--the other civs behave less randomly. I think part of it is that the requirements for Wonders are so fucking fiddly and the rewards so complicated that they don't seem worth it; all combat is a crazy grind; making strategic plans requires a ton of very delicate tweaking and micromanagement. Also it just feels kind of bizarre that I'm expected to be making plans in 4000 BC or whatever for the inevitable global warming that I can't possibly prevent etc.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14477 on: March 19, 2021, 08:28:25 PM

Ya, I tried Civ VI and I could not get into it. It just seemed to he "Juggle 15 balls at once and call me in the morning for your dose of fun." Maybe I'm just old but I don't see the point of dealing with all that crap.

So, basically I'm back to the Original Homeworld which thankfully came with the Homeworld remastered package. Turns out that the remaster has an "innovative" Scaling mechanic that throws more fleet at you if you have a bigger fleet when you come into a mission. Everyone despises this as it punishes you for doing well and makes some missions next to impossible, such as those that have you trying to stop the enemy blowing something up. Theres a fan patch out that allows you to opt out of the scaling, but I just said fuck it.

Goddam Gearbox.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:33:00 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14478 on: March 23, 2021, 12:36:10 AM

Breakpoint is on sale as well and it’s much improved from the original release but holy fuck is the UI a mess.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14479 on: March 23, 2021, 06:30:44 AM

Trippy trying to get folks to go off the reservation  why so serious? Thanks for the headsup  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm still puttering along in Valheim. Took out the 2nd boss which opens up the swamp crypts and iron/stone...and I think I've hit another nice plateau (I've been puttering around in the bronze age for a looong time). Just going to chill and build, do some sailing.

Planning on a set list in Rocksmith tonight. I upgraded my set of flat strings to a thicker set that feels pretty good, hoping I didn't go a bit overboard in thickness, actually. I usually do roughly an hour set, some Nonstop Play for getting new suggestions (my songlist is roughly 1500 at this point, with another hundred ready to upload to that pc), then hop into Learn A Song to jam on the usual suspects.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14480 on: March 24, 2021, 10:27:16 AM

Dishonored 2. It's fine. It's not great, and it's not reminding me why I enjoyed the first so much. It's a bit buggy as well; the AI is all over the place.  I'll probably complete it as it's not likely very long. Trying to go all stealthy, but at most I seem to refrain from killing but still setting off a bunch of alarms. The detection mechanic in this one seems a lot less consistent.

Also, Loop Hero. Third boss keeps kicking my ass, but at this point I've got the entire town unlocked. Only doing a couple loops a day, so not really going too hard at it.

At some point I'll give Total Warhammer 2 a more honest attempt, but my first go just ended up with me being confused as to what I should actually be doing. It seems like this one is quite a bit different since the last Total War game I played was probably in 2009/2010. 

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14481 on: March 24, 2021, 10:44:13 AM

Reinstalled Stardew Valley since life's been stressful and I wanted something relaxing. Fired up an old save that was in Winter 1, pushed through to Spring 2. Only 3 things left to finish the community center, which I haven't ever done before. Should be a lot of new stuff behind that too, that I'm looking forward to.

Still futzing about in FFXIV. Got the DRK to the mid-70s; need to figure out how to get the Exarcic crafting recipes (or whatever the fuck they're called) so I can actually make things that are useful.

Kinda gave up on Loop Hero for now; bounced off the second boss really hard. I'm obviously not playing Rogue right as it feels like the weakest class by far.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #14482 on: March 24, 2021, 11:02:07 AM

On PC I have been playing a lot of Dyson Sphere Program.

On PS4 I have started a new game of HZD.  Silent striking robot dinosaurs is just so satisfying.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14483 on: March 25, 2021, 07:39:40 AM

Breakpoint is on sale as well and it’s much improved from the original release but holy fuck is the UI a mess.

It really is a mess...but I appreciate a game that has a demo! Played a bit last night and was digging it.

I might try to bump up my resolution a bit, but I'm doing the thing I did with Cyberpunk and playing at 720p with all the quality settings maxed out. Same result, looks beautiful with a little blurriness in the smallest text (so far that's less impactful than it was in Cyberpunk).

Upscaling is the way of the future! But I also lol that I have a 4k screen that only sees Rocksmith in 4k and I'm enjoying a /second/ game at 720p. In 2021.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14484 on: March 27, 2021, 11:34:09 AM

Fiiiiiiiiinaly finishe Divinity 2.  Went with the ending where I let everyone have source.  Pretty sure I will play this again in the future, a really exceptional iso rpg, maybe the best I have ever played.  Will also now give the original another look, have a feeling it will stick this time.

In the meantime, I am going into Solasta a bit.  BG3 will get all the hype, but this game is an even more dedicated interpretation of the 5e ruleset.  Some of the graphics (especially character graphics) are total pants as are the voiceovers, but I really like how solidly they have put the ruleset in place.  And I guess they go to level 8 now with a recent patch.  BG3 still stuck on 4, which is lame.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:22:07 PM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14485 on: March 27, 2021, 12:29:47 PM

Some more Wildermyth. It's gentle; I enjoy it and the combat can be surprisingly decent.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14486 on: March 27, 2021, 06:21:02 PM

Playing through Gris, a platformer on PC. I know from reviews that its only 4 hours long Been playing it for 3 hours,) but I'm really enjoying it. The art style is really nice and the Music is fantastic. I do not play platformers AT ALL, so the fact I'm going though this at a good pace and I'm enjoying it says something. There's quote a few puzzles as well but they didn't hold me up too long.

So, I got it on GOG. Can recommend as a pleasant game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14487 on: March 28, 2021, 07:11:01 PM

Finished it at 6 hours even playtime. Still say its worth the playtime.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14488 on: March 29, 2021, 06:43:39 AM

Valheim puttering commencing...used my initial iron (from the only crypt I've found thus far) to get a mace and shield, the rest for wrokbench upgrade and stonecutter...so I can putter!

Decided to flesh out my 'mining company' by building out a stone base with decent docks and a warehouse. Then I can ship ingots from the mine sites to the hub. I was going to ship ore, but I need to hit one more tomb to make a big ship.

Building is getting a bit easier. Figuring out the hoe/pick combo helped a lot. Spent some time just experimenting with the pick while I was mining copper. Don't forget the hoe has a snap-to focus (as does building) when shift is held. That makes working on slopes actually somewhat possible.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14489 on: March 30, 2021, 05:30:34 AM

Last Epoch is keeping me busy.

Getting better every quarter. Played the game enough now that the story mode is boring as fuck and I hope they make something to help skip leveling in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: