Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173417 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14420 on: January 27, 2021, 12:47:56 AM

If you're talking about Bethesda Game Studios as opposed to just everything published by Bethesda, "everything since Skyrim" consists of Fallout Shelter, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and Elder Scrolls: Blades.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14421 on: January 27, 2021, 05:24:36 AM

But you can play Fallout 4 on a car tire!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14422 on: January 27, 2021, 11:50:31 AM

So it turns out the viking declared war on me because my best city-state declared war on Greece  Ohhhhh, I see.

It's still hilarious because neither nation seems to be on a war footing...and I had just de-escalated from a war footing when my neighbor magically went neutral. So here I am with a ton of horsemen (Scythians) and some joked decides to poke the bear. So it looks like it's time to annihilate the viking (and maybe Greece) and use the upgraded troops to knock down Mr Suddenly Neutral and secure my island paradise....

Happy accidents, I guess.
Welp, the vike didn't last too long, guess he was too busy pumping out galleys to notice he was stuck on a resource-poor half-arctic content when he poked the bear living in the fertile crescent. I've never played as a warmonger, somehow, so in keeping with the spirit of Scythia and taking advantage of it being the prime age for the civ (horsemen, both the special unit and getting double units which is OP for the age)...I've been razing him to the ground. Sucks that I can't raze his capitol, as well.

Now I'm a vicious warmonger who has leveled a continent, razing the holy site of Christianity, even the civs that were sitting on the fence have denounced me. What started as a sorta WW1 situation is about to blossom to me vs the world (if I can take the dude splitting my continent).

So I'm pleasantly surprised that despite the shortcomings, I'm really enjoying Civ VI rn!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14423 on: January 29, 2021, 05:29:55 AM

Thing about Classic Bethseda games and Fallout 4 to a certain extent is that you can literally point in a direction and you will find interesting things that are there ready to happen. Other games have nothing in locations if you haven't got quest X unlocked. But you can literally stumble on a hut in Skyrim and have a good half an hour an hour or more of an event happening and its interesting. Even if a cave was tied to a quest in Skyrim you could do most of the cave and have only the last part locked.

Hell you could fuck off without even getting shouts if you wanted. You would still suck up Dragon words but could not use them.

That was kind of their secret. The world engaged with you.

Fallout 76 did not have that at all, I say as someone who hasn't played it and wont.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14424 on: January 29, 2021, 08:19:43 AM

They're really the only open-world games like that and it's why I crave them so badly. RDR2 was kind of close but lots of the gameworld didn't really come to life until you'd progressed the story enough--you could go there but be soft-gated from seeing and doing some things. Skyrim, though, you could pretty well try to do anything you wanted from the get go even if sometimes it was a guaranteed death.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14425 on: January 29, 2021, 10:53:47 AM

Speaking of, I decided to try Fallout New Vegas again. I've been enjoying it a fair bit, though I've had to use console commands for run speed and ignore chunks of the game, like the itemisation.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14426 on: January 29, 2021, 05:13:34 PM

I have AU$500 in my steam account after selling some CS stuff.

Feel like playing something a little fun. Maybe BG3? Nothing is grabbing me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14427 on: January 30, 2021, 06:31:38 AM

Fallout 76 did not have that at all, I say as someone who hasn't played it and wont.

Why do you say it? It does have that.

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #14428 on: January 30, 2021, 07:46:30 AM

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is one I've been having fun with and haven't seen brought up around here. Don't know if I'd recommend it at full price, but if you have the money to burn....
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14429 on: January 30, 2021, 10:21:21 AM

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is one I've been having fun with and haven't seen brought up around here. Don't know if I'd recommend it at full price, but if you have the money to burn....

Heard good things about it but since every other Yakuza game has been added to XGP now I feel like a) there are 6 other Yakuza games I could play, and b) if I wait there's a good chance Like a Dragon will show up there eventually.
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #14430 on: January 30, 2021, 11:39:36 PM

Heard good things about it but since every other Yakuza game has been added to XGP now I feel like a) there are 6 other Yakuza games I could play, and b) if I wait there's a good chance Like a Dragon will show up there eventually.
The other Yakuza games are all beat 'em ups and Like a Dragon is turn based combat. So if you're like me and didn't really enjoy the combat in the other ones but enjoyed the story and weird sense of humor, then Like a Dragon is worth it. It's not just a continuation of the other stories, the actual gameplay is completely different. It probably will show up for free eventually though, which is why I said I'd have a hard time recommending it at full price.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14431 on: February 16, 2021, 06:44:36 AM

Finished up a playthrough of Deep Sky Derelicts. Nice distraction while I'm kind of in gaming limbo without a new open world to hang out in. The ending had my dudes given citizenship and dropped off on some lush planet, and I actually elled oh ell because I had been thinking of playing minecraft and it made for kind of a perfect segue.

So I loaded up MC and welp looks like it's another chapter of unnecessarily intrusive bloatware as Twitch jettisoned modpack launching. I don't care for it, have to look for a new launcher solution, I guess.

The new pack I loaded up was Valhelsia 2. Had a great start but realized they were on version 3, so I loaded that up. As happens with MC, gotta tweak in a few extra goodies (I'm never going to manually chop down trees by individual blocks again! And hey the newest vein/ore/whatever OUTLINES THE VEIN, neato). I ran into issues with Optifine (needed to run the shaderpacks) and 1.16.5, so I'm mulling over dropping back down to v2 again for the pretty.

It's an oddly vanilla feeling pack, using advancements rather than a quest book. I prefer the quest books, especially the versions that integrated JEI. I love the modular weapons from Tetra, really nice changeup with some interesting implementations (I found an underground tech ruin with loot from the mod). Modular weapons that can be enhanced in a few different ways and also level up. It gets rid of a lot of the bloat (and charm) of Tinkers mods.

Fiancee is happy, she generally loves the ambient noise in the game, the wind and birds tweeting kinda stuff. Been a while since I've played and we had a weird realization: the zombie noises are oddly soothing after a while. And at some point, we both begin making zombie and villager noises to each other...

Anyway, for my MC peeps, it's worth a look if only to check out what the Tetra dev is doing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14432 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:50 AM

Went back to Bannerlord for a while. Seems improved from when it first became available--battle AI is better, not as much whack-a-mole going on, you actually get to save your siblings. Still needs work though.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14433 on: February 16, 2021, 08:51:30 AM

Thing about Classic Bethseda games and Fallout 4 to a certain extent is that you can literally point in a direction and you will find interesting things that are there ready to happen. Other games have nothing in locations if you haven't got quest X unlocked. But you can literally stumble on a hut in Skyrim and have a good half an hour an hour or more of an event happening and its interesting. Even if a cave was tied to a quest in Skyrim you could do most of the cave and have only the last part locked.

Hell you could fuck off without even getting shouts if you wanted. You would still suck up Dragon words but could not use them.

That was kind of their secret. The world engaged with you.

For all of its faults Fallout 76 has that. It had it at launch and has it even more now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14434 on: February 16, 2021, 10:54:32 AM

I keep toying with trying it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14435 on: February 22, 2021, 11:20:38 AM

Really enjoying the Valhelsia 3 pack. Been a while since I played something new new in minecraft, so lots of entirely new mods that are awesome (Tetra, Create), as well as a lot of new vanilla stuff. I honestly don't even know what is vanilla or not at this point, heh. It's a very vanilla-feeling experience compared to a lot of the packs I play with dragons and weird shit going off all the time, but it's a nice change of pace and pretty relaxing...until some raiders show up!

Going to give Minecolonies a whirl, too. And I'm going to use Immersive Engineering as my prime tech pack for a while. I usually skirt around it but it fits in nicely for the early game, and it will buy me time to explore the other tech mods.

I'm still missing the more verbose questbook (and its JEI integration) for progression.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14436 on: February 25, 2021, 07:36:42 PM

I've started another attempt at finishing Skyrim, the nearly TEN year old game. I told myself I was going to focus on finishing the main story this time. 60 hours in, I'm nowhere close again - got sidetracked doing some malarkey I've done before at least 2-3 times.

However, I'm forcing myself to run a battlemage-style 1hd/destro; seems to be mixing it up a bit.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14437 on: February 27, 2021, 07:40:22 AM

I picked up Sunset Overdrive for cheap because I wanted to check it out. Solid gameplay and a fun vibe but it's not worth finishing for me.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14438 on: March 01, 2021, 09:20:16 AM

Valheim and PoE. Lots of both. Valheim is quite the fucking bargain. Install size of a mobile game, and tons of content to exhaust. This game can only get better as it gets further refined.

Also a small amount of Curse of the Dead Gods. Difficult. It's a cross between Slay the Spire and Hades in setup and Hades/something more deliberate in gameplay. It's hard. Light on story, but good, weighty combat. Might be a smidge too hard for me.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:23:21 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14439 on: March 02, 2021, 07:39:59 AM

Is Valheim good solo? I figured someone here was running a server and that's why everyone was jumping on it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Rasix

Reply #14440 on: March 02, 2021, 08:07:04 AM

Is Valheim good solo? I figured someone here was running a server and that's why everyone was jumping on it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm playing solo. So, yeah. Each way has its benefits and drawbacks. For a first go round, I'd recommend doing it solo. There's a lot of joy to be had in discovering basic aspects of the game and working out some of the hurdles the game throws at you.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14441 on: March 02, 2021, 08:36:18 AM

Hm, may have to check it out, since I dig the setting.

Anyone play Breathedge? I've got my eye on that one, too.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14442 on: March 02, 2021, 09:42:41 AM

The % of negative reviews has increased dramatically with the release of the full game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

SkillUp has a mostly negative review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p-U3VeVkZE

If you are okay with the humor it might be worth playing for the first part of the game when it’s on sale.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14443 on: March 02, 2021, 01:36:16 PM

My supervisor had her kid in today, he was playing some minecraft, web version. I asked if he played modded mc, he said no. I gave him a quick rundown of tech/magic/adventure mods and he couldn't be less interested. Sigh.

She texted me after she left, asking what this modded minecraft thing was because he won't stop talking about it.

Kids, too cool to be excited in front of old people  why so serious?

Anyway, thanks for the review link, Trippy. That echoes my feelings from reading the Steam reviews. The tool durability and upgraded O2 still being lacking don't sound great.

Maybe I'll finally get around to picking up Dying Light. Going to need something when I inevitably hit the grind wall in minecraft, once I have to build too big or complex a factory to progress, I tend to tune out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:38:36 PM by Sky »
Rasix

Reply #14444 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:45 PM

Dying Light seems like it'd be something you'd enjoy. Zombies and a bit of jank.

-Rasix
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14445 on: March 02, 2021, 04:00:10 PM

The % of negative reviews has increased dramatically with the release of the full game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

SkillUp has a mostly negative review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p-U3VeVkZE

If you are okay with the humor it might be worth playing for the first part of the game when it’s on sale.

This game is great but their durability mechanics make it a tedious slog...see what I did there...

Seriously, though, there is way too much damn crafting of the same tools over and over again. I'm not saying they need to ditch the mechanic all together, but they at least need a balance pass, or maybe a repair mechanic that does not consume the same quantity of resources as a whole new tool.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14446 on: March 03, 2021, 01:53:12 AM

Dying Light seems like it'd be something you'd enjoy. Zombies and a bit of jank.

There is a lot of fun to get out of Dying Light.  One of the best Zombie genre games, IMO.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14447 on: March 03, 2021, 05:38:10 AM

Well, I was up way too late with Valheim.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14448 on: March 08, 2021, 05:44:06 PM

Bannerlord really puzzles me--it gets its hooks into me with the rhythms of the combat but fuck if the subsystems of the game aren't still ridiculously underdeveloped. The repetition is both addictive and almost self-loathing levels of 'fuck it'. So much of it comes down to the strategic stupidity of the AI.

The new element that is insanely annoying is that settlements revolt against leaders who don't treat them right, which is fine, good, except that the AI leaders will never treat being given a settlement with any kind of strategic intelligence, so they invariably provoke revolts quite quickly, which means the game map is soon absolutely swarming with third-party rebel army stacks that you have to treat as if they're lords--if you execute their commanders, it's just as much of a hit with all of your own faction and others (rather than as in CKII and CKIII, the message that says 'you have a reason to execute these people so no one will care'). So as player you can't do anything to prune the board down a bit and you end up riding through all these 100-troop stacks of rebels. Plus the enemy factions can assemble a new 100-stack army in the three or four minutes after you release them or they escape, so the whack-a-mole problem has only gotten slightly less dire.

It's basically a fun tactical battle sim glued to a fairly shitty strategic sim.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #14449 on: March 09, 2021, 03:08:22 AM

I've been putting some time into Nova Drift. It's an arcadey top-down space arena shoot-em-up. Fly around, shoot stuff, dodge black holes, choose perks, die, and restart. Weapons and perks are pretty varied so you can be successful charging up explosive sniper shots, or planting turrets and donating your shields to them, or amping up your thrusters and doing donuts til everything is on fire.

It's 10 bucks right now. Early access but who cares. Plays nice with KB+M or gamepad. Watch about five seconds of gameplay video and you'll know if this is your jam or not.

I'm up to 1.1 million points but the wave 200 boss is still harder than it should be. Trying to find a way to run Discharge + Shielded Constructs without shields dropping every few seconds.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14450 on: March 12, 2021, 06:50:47 AM

Still playing Divinity 2.  Must be in the final chapter, or real close.  Only play 4 or 5 hours a week (and plenty of reloads for whatever reason), so this has been taking a while.  Totally worth it, though, glad I got over my meh opinion of the first.  I think it may even ironically make the first more enticing, now that I am more familiar with the systems.

Also waited long enough to give The Forest another try in VR.  Had sorta forgotten about it, last time I tried was before my last PC upgrades and it ran like shit.  Now it runs pretty much fine, and it is way more compelling in VR than I expected.  Downright creepy, and a pretty immersive survival sim for VR.  I found my first cave and that was just goddamn suffocating and nerve-wracking.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14451 on: March 12, 2021, 08:02:18 AM

I'd love to be playing Valheim in VR, the atmospherics are so immersive and I think the low poly models might matter even less in actual 3D. The Forest is definitely on my short list whenever they get around to making a new iteration of the Index. And of course when I can actually build a new computer to support it. Still sitting here 6 months later with money in hand, waiting to build it. What a year.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14452 on: March 12, 2021, 10:26:31 AM

I understand the waiting in general, but specifically for a new iteration of the Index?  It is already a fantastic consumer product, it will be years before someone significantly surpasses it.  The HMDs are not the problem, it is computing power that cannot keep up.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14453 on: March 12, 2021, 11:45:51 AM

I understand the waiting in general, but specifically for a new iteration of the Index?  It is already a fantastic consumer product, it will be years before someone significantly surpasses it.  The HMDs are not the problem, it is computing power that cannot keep up.
I figure at some point they'll do an update, if not of the displays per se, then QoL improvements or whatever.

Also, my CPU is 10 and my GPU is 7. So....while it's perfectly fine for gaming, the ability to actually buy new parts for a new pc is the hard variable in that timeline.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14454 on: March 13, 2021, 12:07:24 AM

They don't honestly seem to make iterative improvements for the individual pieces, but instead come out with complete packages.  What is a little frustrating is that the last few offerings have all basically said 'yep, Index is the best one, we will aim for a cheaper segment of the market'.  Which is great on the one hand, but not so great on the other.  HP has come out with an HMD with a great display and partnered with Steam on the form factor of the headset, but they cheaped out on everything else and also offered a much smaller FOV.  Pimax has the huge display with the massive FOV, but it is apparently fiddly as hell at best.  And in both of these cases, they require Index components (lighthouses, controllers) to work their best.

Index set the standard, and everyone else is aiming short of that standard for now.  Partly because this tech is difficult, but probably also partly because computers are not up to the task quite like they should be.  And modern GPUs are as common as unicorns. 

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: