Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172819 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14315 on: November 23, 2020, 08:04:36 PM

Playing a lot of No Man's Sky. Decided to switch to PS4 because my son was hogging the PC, and I felt like playing it on the larger screen. Performs pretty well outside of some texture pop and loading times. Umm, there's quite of lot of shit to do in this game. It's a little overwhelming. One minute I'm working on a quest, I decide to help a freighter fight off some pilots and all of the sudden now I have a freighter and a bunch of capital ship stuff to do. Ok, cool.

Is there something I should be doing? Like do a X to unlock everything and then just fart around? Otherwise I'm just kind of letting my fancy take me. I did discover the hopping dildo planet. That was interesting.

-Rasix
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14316 on: November 23, 2020, 09:53:52 PM

DaoC is still up and running?? Cool.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14317 on: November 24, 2020, 01:41:05 AM

Since Assassins Creed Origins crashes my computer I bide my time with Hades and Darkest Dungeon until my new Graphic Card arrives. Lockdown delaying purchase gratification is not a fun thing.

But before it acted up I went to the Hippdrome already and climbed one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. That truly is a gorgeous and fun game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14318 on: November 24, 2020, 05:43:38 AM

Finished Resident Evil 7 and had lots of fun. This made me bolder and I am now tackling Resident Evil 2 Remake which is also very good.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14319 on: November 24, 2020, 07:22:17 AM

Finished Resident Evil 7 and had lots of fun. This made me bolder and I am now tackling Resident Evil 2 Remake which is also very good.
I loved the RE2 remake so much until Mr X shows up.

Really I just enjoy the atmosphere, hanging out in the hallway with the boarded up window at the end was a highlight of the game for me.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14320 on: November 24, 2020, 11:00:22 AM

Tyranny is really good right up to the point where it's not, which pretty much feels like "whoops, we're out of money, let's just call it finished".
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14321 on: November 24, 2020, 11:47:54 AM

I loved the RE2 remake so much until Mr X shows up.

Really I just enjoy the atmosphere, hanging out in the hallway with the boarded up window at the end was a highlight of the game for me.

Well, Mr. X seriously changes the game. I am officially terrified. I hate everything about it, and yet I am mesmerized by this game. 10 out of 10.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14322 on: November 24, 2020, 10:30:31 PM

I played it right up until leaving the police station.  I don't really like where it goes from there, but the first half of that game is fantastic.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14323 on: November 25, 2020, 05:27:21 AM

I played it right up until leaving the police station.  I don't really like where it goes from there, but the first half of that game is fantastic.
And that has been pretty much every RE for me. Brilliant creepy early game exploration and then at some point the game inevitably changes to more of an action game and I'm out. The rest of the creepy game genre seems to be going the 'hide until you have to run' route, which is even less satisfying.

It messes with me, because that early RE experience is SO GOOD and exactly what I'm looking for in a game like that. I even enjoyed the original control scheme. I just have to remember to buy them on deep discount because I know I'll at most get to play 1/3 of the game before it falls apart.

(I also hate the concept of boss battles, but that ship has sailed heh)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #14324 on: November 25, 2020, 04:00:14 PM

I picked up Dishonored 2 and Dark Souls 2 at the steam sale today.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14325 on: November 27, 2020, 03:10:51 AM

Dishonored 2 is great, and has some subtle improvements that make non violent playthroughs more enjoyable compared to the original.

Tyranny is really good right up to the point where it's not, which pretty much feels like "whoops, we're out of money, let's just call it finished".

I think I could write a whole essay on Tyranny. It's a special game, though it has clear flaws. I wish more RPGs followed its approach to replayability and game length. Only game I can think of that might be immediately comparable would be The Witcher 2 and its two divergent paths.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14326 on: November 27, 2020, 05:06:55 AM

Finally getting into hitman 2 now my PC can run it properly.

Level design in this game is so good. I can't think of any game that gives you so many ways to do your thing and where the level actually feels so much like a working building of the type it is supposed to be.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14327 on: November 27, 2020, 08:49:49 AM

Picked up Divinity OS2 from the steam sale.  Was a pretty good rebate, and what I see from the BG3 EA was enough to convince me.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14328 on: November 27, 2020, 12:19:17 PM

Level design in this game is so good. I can't think of any game that gives you so many ways to do your thing and where the level actually feels so much like a working building of the type it is supposed to be.
I wanted to buy that for my Playstation, but quickly got confused at the 84 different versions and decided to wait for a sale or something.

But it's on my to-do list.

Instead I'm finally tackling Xcom 2, with the War of the Chosen DLC.

Which is, bluntly, brutal as fuck. I should have started a vanilla Xcom 2 game.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14329 on: November 27, 2020, 01:14:31 PM

I wanted to buy that for my Playstation, but quickly got confused at the 84 different versions and decided to wait for a sale or something.
It is on sale, though awesome, for real

And yes all the SKUs are confusing but you can start with HITMAN 2 - Gold Edition.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14330 on: November 27, 2020, 01:51:56 PM

I never played XCom 2 vanilla - I started with War of the Chosen. I think while it can get tough, it's probably better with the DLC than without.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14331 on: November 27, 2020, 02:49:55 PM

I never played XCom 2 vanilla - I started with War of the Chosen. I think while it can get tough, it's probably better with the DLC than without.
I've finally gotten into the groove of it, I think. Getting to six squad members and some upgraded gear helps, but it's always really fun to be dealing with timers, advent, lost swarms, a goddamn chosen, oh and I decided to skulljack a captain and found out what happens then.

I'm still sorting out basics, like I just realized you can use intel to buy black market stuff, not supplies.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14332 on: November 28, 2020, 03:54:46 AM

I have finished Resident Evil 2 RE with Leon and I really loved it, more than 7 which was already great. It's hard to describe how much I've hated every second of being chased by Mr. Unkillable Stompy Feet, how much that made my heartbit rate go up in an unpleasant way, and yet how much it all made it for an unforegettable experience. Now, for some reason, I am playing NewGame+ with Claire because I understand there are differences in the story and in the ending, and considering that it's not a very long game I think I can do it. But damn, NG+ is obviously harder and even though I thought the first run was enough to make me immune to the hypertension, this is clearly not the case!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14333 on: November 28, 2020, 09:53:45 AM

I got back into Resident Evil 7/Biohazard last night. I'm not sure I can finish this game. I think I get about 60-90 minutes into a play session and just get stomach sick and I think it might be some kind of motion sickness? It's very odd, the only other game that's done this to me recently has been an earlier build of 7 Days to Die.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14334 on: November 28, 2020, 10:02:23 AM

Plenty of things made me sick to my stomach in RE 7, and motion was not one of them. Anyway, sorry to hear that. Worth trying to see if you can help it by changing FoV and maybe even screen frequency or limit the frame rate?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14335 on: November 30, 2020, 04:09:07 AM

D:OS2 is really a lot like BG3.  Or to be fair it is more the reverse.  Anyway, that means I am probably going to like it, even in the absence of the 5e rules. 

Re-installed and re-started NMS on my Index.  My first planet was an awful artic wasteland with lots of storms, so I had to high tail it the fuck out of there.  Landed on second planet, and it is an actual paradise.  Lots of weird creatures, all of them friendly.  Moderate temps almost all the time, although there is a rare heat storm once in a while.  The most basic resources are everything.  Could be fun to fart around here for a while.

And then off doing some of that farting around.....and a goddamn massive millepede type thing shoots out of the ground and kinda launches itself  (almost directly overhead) into the air only to dive back down and burrow into the dirt again a kilometer or so away.  Think triple krayt dragon size.  I yelled very loudly.  Extremely cool moment.  I think the planet is still safe, just so long as that thing stays the fuck away from me and my base. 

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14336 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:24 AM

Finished the main story line in NMS. Not sure that I'll continue playing much longer as I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this game. I suppose I could actually finish my base and make it look not shitty and maybe find a ship that I like the design of. Good game but I can understand that a worse version of this might be rage inducing. Exocraft seem marginally useful, I don't love the implementation or control scheme. They should probably give this game to people still holding out hope for Star Citizen as some sort of intervention/withdrawal reduction mechanism, because I'm not sure how you could "play" Star Citizen with any sort of optimism when you've seen someone pull off the core functionality in a way that that SC never will be.

I started the Yakuza series. Might hold off on going further until after CyberPunk/PoE events. Seems rather interesting.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14337 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:11 AM

I spent the weekend in Empyrion, a survival builder that's basically minecraft+NMS. It's low budget and janky, but works surprisingly well. I binged through the tutorial, which is fairly well done. It does lack here and there in explaining some of the more esoteric (or just weird) systems, but for anyone who has played a lot of this kind of thing, it makes sense pretty quickly. I encountered a single bug (hovercraft gets caught on a certain tree model, just have to hop out and cut the tree down) and one "problem" (couldn't get a switch connected to my generator - spent a half-hour troubleshooting, reading through advanced signal pathing...realized I hadn't TURNED ON SIGNALS in my base dashboard....oops).

Really cool game with lots of nice little things going on. None of them add up to any of the more advanced/larger budget offerings but together it makes for a nice experience. I wish they had the resources to build out some of the thinner systems, add more mob variety, more everything variety. There was even a moment of running/jumping with the jetpack during combat that almost felt Tribes-ish (if the combat weren't quite so lackluster). The inventory is pretty nice, though. Borrows a bit from Project Zomboid with the dual inventory windows with source/destination drop downs, you can assign inventories to machines, click through from machine to inventory and back. Surprised to see how much you can control in a base from the menus, without having to run to each room to do things.

Barely scratched the surface, using the tutorial's gear, base, and ships. Lots to play around with. Had so much fun, I considered picking up Space Engineers for when I burn out on Empyrion...the amount I've been playing I'm sure to burn out sooner than later  why so serious?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14338 on: December 02, 2020, 05:46:46 AM

After finishing up the tutorial, fired up a new game of Empyrion. Got to check out the 'dungeon' type POI. If you've checked out the last couple Alphas of 7 Days to Die, it's very similar to their 'dungeon' system. Some hidden stuff, lots of traps. I feel it cheats a lot more than 7DTD, in that I'm not sure if the traps are detectable by a cautious player. It could boil down to the graphics, which are considerably more rudimentary than 7DTD, which has been trying to at least stay somewhat modernized as they've plowed through their eternal Alphas.

Overall, I think 7DTD is still the better version of this style of game...but you can't fly into space or visit other planets, so that helps Empyrion a great deal.

Got a really phat lewtz chest from one crazy difficult POI I plunked away at for hours last night, spawned in a flashy little swoop bike to explore in. Vehicles can be customized for a couple roles, I have the swoop for fast exploration stuff and a beat-up old hover vehicle that I've been repairing and upgrading into a small mobile base to the point where I haven't even built a static base yet. It's nice that you have a bevy of schematics to spawn prefabs (you pay the material costs directly) and access to player-made designs, or you can design your own monstrosities. The main limitation to my current setup is that I can't dock my HV into another HV (or a light flying vehicle), you can only dock vehicles smaller than capital vessels into one of those. I would really enjoy a smaller ship to fly around the planet and have a couple small hover vehicles for ground exploration.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14339 on: December 02, 2020, 11:04:10 AM

Played through the Miles Morales Spider-man game. Good thing I like doing all the side stuff as the actual story felt pretty short.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14340 on: December 03, 2020, 06:47:47 AM

So I found the flaw in Empyrion, pretty bummed about it. I had noticed some weird block behavior when glomming stuff onto my prefabs (adding storage or sensors or w/e). Turns out they're one of the lazier implementations of block building, any block will consume the entire block volume, meaning you can't place anything along a wall unless you 'invert' it (so the interior face is outside)....and then you can't place anything on the exterior surface of that wall. I thought my minecraft bases were dumpsters, but hooboy this game sets a new low for Skybase aesthetics.

People have made some really cool stuff despite the limitations, but ain't nobody got time to learn to build around those limitations. Luckily, I can use prefabs, but that severely limits the playability of the game (I mean, it's a building game...).

I'm still having fun, so it's definitely a solid sale game if you're into this kind of thing (and have my level of jank tolerance). Tons of stuff to check out and mess around with, but this building limitation definitely puts a crimp on it, looks like no building a Star Destroyer for me!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14341 on: December 03, 2020, 12:02:32 PM

I have it, I just haven't ever found the time to work with it.

I keep thinking of trying Kenshi again with a shit-ton of addons but I just don't think I can bear the basic badness of the look and core design.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14342 on: December 05, 2020, 07:01:06 AM

Finally got the PS5 and so playing (re-playing) Demon's Souls like it's 2009 and I just met my future favourite game ever.

I have small gripes regarding the remastering process (mostly UI and voices), but overall it's a fantastic job.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14343 on: December 05, 2020, 11:36:38 AM

Haemmy you son of a bitch you jinxed me dude!

Playing Empyrion, which even on easy is a tough combat game due to enemy's perfect aim and the destructible ships. Gave up trying to clear out the enemy base on my starter world until I can source some titanium to build higher tier weapons and get shields online...maybe there is some in the asteroid belt, and hey I have a mission to find a derelict vessel.

It's in a minefield! Fighting off a few sentries, I'm led to a control station for the minefield. There's some story stuff about an alien AI, some infection, a bit of a System Shock vibe due to jank graphics, just a really cool vibe...and the zero G space outpost is an interesting puzzle to navigate...

...except for the motion sickness. About five minutes into trying to search the outpost, my guts heaved worse than they have in years. Something about the fov, controls, map design, and being hunted by aliens, robots and finding turrets at chokepoints all hit me like a hammer. Had to quickly log out and have a snack to calm it.

And yet this game keeps offering up cool new twists and I want to play more! I just hope there aren't too many space hulks to explore without gravity! But I also kinda hope there are because it's awesome.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14344 on: December 06, 2020, 11:50:09 PM

Finally finished Cold Steel 3.  Took me a long time because I only really play it for a couple hours on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings.  104 hours total game time.  I am in parts glad to have a break from it and also waiting for the final installment to hit PC so I can see where this all goes.

I think this means Divinity OS2 will get more time.  I have already put a few hours in, and I find myself needing to make a mental adjustment from BG3 to this.  There are definitely things in OS2 that I like quite a bit less after only a short time, but am willing to admit that it might be that I just have to get used to the differing mechanics.  The first thing being "oh, combat is initiated?  Good thing your group is all clumped together whether you like it or not and oh here is some major AOE damage you will not be able to avoid and it will probably happen again on the next round as well".  Seriously, not only is your own team clumped together all the time, but so are all the spell effects and everything else, half the time I cannot even figure out what the fuck is happening.  The one magic guy I have is useless, because every action he takes splashes damage on goddamn everybody.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14345 on: December 07, 2020, 06:37:32 AM

The first thing being "oh, combat is initiated?  Good thing your group is all clumped together whether you like it or not and oh here is some major AOE damage you will not be able to avoid and it will probably happen again on the next round as well".  Seriously, not only is your own team clumped together all the time, but so are all the spell effects and everything else, half the time I cannot even figure out what the fuck is happening.
You can break up your party and move members around individually.  You can use that to initiate combat with one tanky character while everyone else stealths nearby, moves to optimal locations and tries to get a free shot in before the enemy notices them.  It helps a lot with certain fights when combat essentially pauses on your turn while you sneak your other characters around to take out an extra irritating mage or sniper.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #14346 on: December 07, 2020, 12:31:46 PM

Combat is initiated with people popping out of the scenery, from elevated positions, as soon as you walk into their flammable barrels maze. Got so tired of that, so it sounds like more of the same. Probably also with LARP level dialogue but at least good production values.

Playing Battletech (modded) which had been sitting on my wishlist for a long time. Tactically it's all limited and ablative, and the balance is wonky, but watching mech's explode and seeing if you can find new components in the wreckage to build your dream team can still addict.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14347 on: December 07, 2020, 12:57:38 PM

I finally finished Dragon Age Inquisition. It was OK but I found the ending pretty disappointing. It just wasn't enough for a game that long with that many decisions. Still, at least I'm all caught up and ready for Dragon Age 4.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:16:37 AM by Reg »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14348 on: December 07, 2020, 07:13:17 PM

I did like Inquisition, but yeah.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14349 on: December 07, 2020, 08:02:24 PM

Freddie Prinze Jr. as Iron Bull was fantastic, though.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: