Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172726 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14385 on: January 18, 2021, 12:36:06 PM

Asking here for a PC gaming recommendation.

Want a game where you can customize a character but isn't pretending to be a survival sim. The RPGs I like are dragon age inquisition, divinity 2 original sin, the witcher 3, and xcom.

While I maybe disappointed about the story, cyberpunk is a good jank build simulator game if it wasn't for the lack of an effective reroll system.

Any Fallout game ever made? And yes, all Mass Effect games, except maybe Andromeda. 2 & 3 play better than 1 if that ends up being a bit rough.

Might be a slight tangent, but the Deus Ex, Prey, and Dishonored series might be up your alley as well.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14386 on: January 18, 2021, 04:09:07 PM

Want a game where you can customize a character but isn't pretending to be a survival sim. The RPGs I like are dragon age inquisition, divinity 2 original sin, the witcher 3, and xcom.

While I maybe disappointed about the story, cyberpunk is a good jank build simulator game if it wasn't for the lack of an effective reroll system.
Your list above includes both single character / primary character games and party-based games and you throw in an RPG-"lite" game (XCOM) so there's a huge set of games that overlap the type of games on your list. You may want to be more specific about what you are looking for in terms of build diversity. E.g. do you care whether or not your build changes your dialog options in a meaningful way or is dialog and/or story-and-such not so important?

In any case here are some RPG games that feature a decent amount of build diversity and potentially replayability:

Previous Dragon Ages
Skyrim
Wasteland 2/3
Shadowrun(s)
Souls-games (Demon, Dark 1-3, but not as much Bloodblorne)
Grim Dawn
Path of Exile
The RPG-style Assassin Creed's (e.g. Odyseey)

Since you listed XCOM there's also XCOM 2, Phoenix Point, and BattleTech.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14387 on: January 18, 2021, 09:41:54 PM

Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 1/2 fill in that Divinity: Original Sin/Dragon Age role as well.  Maybe also Xcom: Chimera Squadron once you finish Xcom 2 as well if you're still looking for more.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14388 on: January 19, 2021, 06:41:04 AM

So I've been playing Ultima 8 for a week now.

It's janky as any game from the depths of the past, but goddamn if it doesn't still deliver. The music and quirkiness was still working for the series. I think originally (heh) I only knocked off a couple of the Titans, so I loaded it on a whim and got sucked right into it.

And ironically, given my comment just now about the music in Cyberpunk and general dislike of electronic music, the soundtrack is so on point, even after all this time. I'm not normally nostalgic, especially about QoL improvements, but the lack of a map or any obvious guidance and the need to keep notes on conversations so you don't miss something only mentioned once...it works for me right now.

I've also dabbled with a bit of HoMaM3 but got roflstomped because I've forgotten all my old tricks  why so serious?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #14389 on: January 19, 2021, 04:44:42 PM

Any Fallout game ever made? And yes, all Mass Effect games, except maybe Andromeda. 2 & 3 play better than 1 if that ends up being a bit rough.

Might be a slight tangent, but the Deus Ex, Prey, and Dishonored series might be up your alley as well.

Or Brigand: Oaxaca  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #14390 on: January 21, 2021, 11:14:33 AM

Your list above includes both single character / primary character games and party-based games and you throw in an RPG-"lite" game (XCOM) so there's a huge set of games that overlap the type of games on your list. You may want to be more specific about what you are looking for in terms of build diversity. E.g. do you care whether or not your build changes your dialog options in a meaningful way or is dialog and/or story-and-such not so important?

In any case here are some RPG games that feature a decent amount of build diversity and potentially replayability:

Previous Dragon Ages
Skyrim
Wasteland 2/3
Shadowrun(s)
Souls-games (Demon, Dark 1-3, but not as much Bloodblorne)
Grim Dawn
Path of Exile
The RPG-style Assassin Creed's (e.g. Odyseey)

Since you listed XCOM there's also XCOM 2, Phoenix Point, and BattleTech.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, I kinda went scatter shot because I'm open to most gaming experience except for the ones where you try to be a homeless man.

I have played

Grim Dawn (love that game)
Path of Exile (I mess with that game)
Skryim (got kinda bored of that one, but fun for a minute)
Dragon Age Inquisition (also love that game)

I haven't tried any souls game because I never had high interest for "hack and slash but really hard." but I do have Seriko sitting in my gaming box somewhere.
I haven't played shadowrun or phoenix point or battletech
I haven't tried wastland (how much of a survival sim is that game?)
I haven't tried the previous dragon ages.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pillars of Eternity 1/2, I have but hmm its not as intuitive as say divinity, but i'll give it a second go.

Deus Ex, Prey, and Dishonored, planned to try those.

Fallout will probably end up trying at some point.

Currently playing OuterWorlds. First 10 minutes of the game is pretty standard shooty shooty, unless I'm missing something my special timmy brain is gravitating toward just running a companion build with science weapons in order to avoid just doing the shooty shooty.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14391 on: January 21, 2021, 11:44:35 AM

I haven't tried wastland (how much of a survival sim is that game?)
They are not, at all.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14392 on: January 21, 2021, 12:03:12 PM

It's XCOM with light questing and skill checks.

While they can be fun, I don't think Wasteland 2 or 3 are very good games. They're somewhat shoddily made, and the humor and writing are pretty juvenile. Combat and character customization are pretty decent, but at some point you'll think to yourself "why am I still playing this fucking game?"

I'd rather play the Fallout games for quirky post-apocalyptic RPG fun or any XCOM for your squad based tactics. Do note that Fallout 1/2 are isometric tactical games and 3/NV/4 are more 3D Skyrim like combat with some RPG targeting.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:11:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14393 on: January 23, 2021, 03:58:35 PM

Oh man, wait until you discover Skyrim!
I'll have you know I have almost recovered the horn of jurgen windcaller like 14 times.

Instead I have three houses, a ridiculous enchanting and smithing skillset, and my current attempt at a playthrough is stuck at "Fuck the Soul Cairn".

I was tired of vampires so I thought I'd fix that......
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14394 on: January 23, 2021, 07:01:28 PM

Have you ever accidentally stumbled upon Blackreach?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14395 on: January 24, 2021, 02:18:21 AM

Oh man, wait until you discover Skyrim!
I'll have you know I have almost recovered the horn of jurgen windcaller like 14 times..

Ah man, spoiler that shit!

Seriously, I have played hundreds of hours of Skyrim, mostly in VR, and I have no idea what the game is actually about.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14396 on: January 24, 2021, 06:22:19 AM

Stacking cheese and roll it down a slope.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14397 on: January 24, 2021, 11:03:36 AM

Do other people actually do this? I did this in my first play and it's in my top ten memorable gaming experiences. Like someone jammed an entire expansion into the main game.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14398 on: January 24, 2021, 11:04:14 AM

EDIT: I'm incredibly bummed we are approaching a decade without new TES and nothing in sight.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14399 on: January 24, 2021, 03:17:05 PM

EDIT: I'm incredibly bummed we are approaching a decade without new TES and nothing in sight.
I'm feeling that with GTA. RDR doesn't scratch the same itch.

I'm still working through U8, fired up a game of Civ 6.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14400 on: January 24, 2021, 04:51:57 PM

I finally completed my 14th season with the same club in Football Manager 2020, taking Forest Green Rovers from the 4th tier of English football all the way to consecutive 7th place finishes in the Premier League, the last season of which included a Euro Cup II semifinal loss to Feynoord. I'd pretty much set my goal of finishing the season and winning the Euro Cup 2 just so I would stop playing the game and could play other things. Over 700 games in charge (almost 700 hours of play BTW) - and I still sort of feel the itch to go for another season. I may actually have a problem.  why so serious?

So I uninstalled the game rather than have it there tempting me. And I'm going to try to play through Disco Elysium finally. I'm 10 hours into it but it is SO GODDAMN DENSE that it's not an easy play. It's also so mechanically different than any other RPG I've ever played. I can certainly see why it's gotten so much love and critical acclaim, but holy shit is it hard to play in the sense of it's enjoyable like pulling off a scab. It sort of feels good once it's done and when you start digging you can't stop but it makes you sick to your stomach and hurts like hell.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #14401 on: January 24, 2021, 05:20:35 PM

Strangely not yet, out of about three attempted playthroughs.

I enjoy the game, but it seems mostly I enjoy making my dragonborn good enough gear that he just wades into dragonfire to bitchslap dragons.

And trying to get everything I need to get ALL the shrines in my house.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14402 on: January 24, 2021, 07:58:01 PM

My first visit to Blackreach was 100% accidental. I don't think I read anything about the game ever, actually--all of it was just hey what's that over there? Hey what happens if I do this?

I'm really depressed that they haven't made another TES.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14403 on: January 24, 2021, 10:21:59 PM

I have literally no idea what Blackreach is, and now feel like I have to google it to find out, which will then fully ruin Blackreach.  What am I supposed to do with this information.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14404 on: January 25, 2021, 03:40:11 AM

I'm really depressed that they haven't made another TES.

I'm sure you would have loved Todd Hoawrds latest Idea for Hammerfell "TES - Superfly Johnson"

(Note, this is a Joke but for a second you knew it could be true. And if you diodnt get the reference - Superfly Johnson was the Black Male companion in Diakatana)

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14405 on: January 25, 2021, 06:43:49 AM

Welp, I vaguely remember something about random AI behavior when I played Civ 6 around launch, but I figured it would be a bit better by now.

I initiated an early war to curb the expansion of the other civ on my small continent, fought a protracted war again him. At one phase I was pushing settlers to establish a solid border, for when I bid for peace...so my troop level and tech got a bit behind. I managed to bribe a peace so I could catch up, but he clearly meant to stomp me. Loaded up the borders, stole my suzerainty, I hurriedly tried to shore up my military... and suddenly he went from unfriendly to neutral for no reason whatsoever. Now he's just got a dozen units stuck in the internal holes in my borders. Weird, but whatever. Unsatisfying, as it would've been a heck of a third phase of the long war.

He then acts pretty normal for a while as we kind of uneasily settle the rest of the landmass and vie for good building sites. Meanwhile I'm exploring, the vikings are loving my navy and feel the need to tell me how awesome I am every few turns, friendly status. I run across the Greeks, they're ornery for some reason but located on the far side of the world, so meh....

...until they and the vikings launch a dual war on me, out of nowhere. The best part is, apart from a couple viking longships, they have no troops anywhere near me.

I just kind of did a couple slow blinks and called it a night. Wild random AI shifts, good times.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14406 on: January 25, 2021, 06:57:37 AM

I have literally no idea what Blackreach is, and now feel like I have to google it to find out, which will then fully ruin Blackreach.  What am I supposed to do with this information.

Don't Google it, just have fun exploring Dwemer ruins.  You'll come across it eventually.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #14407 on: January 25, 2021, 07:39:15 AM

Don't Google it, just have fun exploring Dwemer ruins.  You'll come across it eventually.

And then you'll wander around what is a hand-crafted experience, that feels more like a bad generated one. Blackreach felt like it just wasn't finished.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14408 on: January 25, 2021, 09:03:09 AM

Is it a ruin you need a key for?  I thought I had seen all the ruins that were open.  I have literally never googled anything Skyrim related.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14409 on: January 25, 2021, 11:24:23 AM

You get sent there as part of the main story quests, IIRC. I had to google it to remember because the area didn't make a big impression on me at all.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14410 on: January 25, 2021, 05:13:39 PM

I didn't realize that it was in some sense WOW. I was more like "hey, holy cow, look at all this shit, kinda cool." I think some of you all have higher standards that I did then or maybe now. I remember getting into some places and being like wow there's a diary here that reveals the dude who lived here was into necrophilia, serious detail work. Oh well time to move on, this area is sort of cool."

I mean, I dunno, I used to take out felt maps for a Might and Magic or Wizardry game and go WOW WHAT IS IN THIS HIDDEN AREA WHOA.

So maybe I'm a hick.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14411 on: January 25, 2021, 05:32:26 PM

My favourite part of Skyrim was when you meet someone or something (can't remember well) that tricks you into doing something (still can't remember well) that teleports you into some secret garden when there's a strange party going on and you eventually retrieve a magic staff, I believe. As far as I could remember, it was clearly handcrafted but it could not happen to you if you didn't stop to talk to whomever that random spawn was and if you didn't accept to help them. It felt precious.

And maybe I am remembering it all wrong and it was meant to happen no matter what. If that's the case, still props to them for making it seem completely accidental.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14412 on: January 25, 2021, 08:07:12 PM

And then you'll wander around what is a hand-crafted experience, that feels more like a bad generated one. Blackreach felt like it just wasn't finished.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #14413 on: January 25, 2021, 08:42:40 PM

I haven't played it, but supposedly TESO (the Elder Scrolls Online) is a half-decent TES experience when played solo.  I'm still considering giving it a try one of these days. Even as an unmoddable MMO it is quite possibly the closest thing we will ever see to a true successor to the TES line of open world, moddable, play it your way games that peaked with Skyrim 19 years ago. If you squint hard enough.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14414 on: January 25, 2021, 09:27:26 PM

I haven't played it, but supposedly TESO (the Elder Scrolls Online) is a half-decent TES experience when played solo.  I'm still considering giving it a try one of these days. Even as an unmoddable MMO it is quite possibly the closest thing we will ever see to a true successor to the TES line of open world, moddable, play it your way games that peaked with Skyrim 19 years ago. If you squint hard enough.

Uh, Skyrim is merely 9 years old.

I bought TESO in a sale a few years ago and, to me, it played nothing like a solo Elder Scrolls Game. It had very much an MMO feel and was lifeless without a guild. I didn't get very far in it.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #14415 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:37 PM

My first foray into Skyrim was fairly entertaining, in the traditional: I just spent 2 weeks in this game and have now gotten so lost re: the main storyline that I have absolutely no idea where to even pick back up with it any more.  Which was fun.

My second foray into Skyrim was after someone pointed me to a modding site, which ended up something like this:  I just spent a week downloading more mods than the disk footprint of the original game itself followed by 2 weeks trying to get them to work together properly and then got sidetracked by something else and never actually played the game itself long enough to get to the first town.......

I really should probaby break the game out again (now that I have upgraded to a significantly better PC than I had the last time I played it), but I am worried that mod hell awaits yet again.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14416 on: January 25, 2021, 10:02:55 PM

My first foray into Skyrim was fairly entertaining, in the traditional: I just spent 2 weeks in this game and have now gotten so lost re: the main storyline that I have absolutely no idea where to even pick back up with it any more.  Which was fun.

My second foray into Skyrim was after someone pointed me to a modding site, which ended up something like this:  I just spent a week downloading more mods than the disk footprint of the original game itself followed by 2 weeks trying to get them to work together properly and then got sidetracked by something else and never actually played the game itself long enough to get to the first town.......

I really should probaby break the game out again (now that I have upgraded to a significantly better PC than I had the last time I played it), but I am worried that mod hell awaits yet again.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, if you got your hands on a modern VR headset, 15 or 20 mods later and you have IMO what is still one of the most compelling video game experiences in history. 

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14417 on: January 26, 2021, 04:50:59 AM

You really only need to follow the main story up to High Hrothgar; once you get dragons and shouts unlocked you can kind of do whatever you want.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14418 on: January 26, 2021, 08:09:05 AM

So it turns out the viking declared war on me because my best city-state declared war on Greece  Ohhhhh, I see.

It's still hilarious because neither nation seems to be on a war footing...and I had just de-escalated from a war footing when my neighbor magically went neutral. So here I am with a ton of horsemen (Scythians) and some joked decides to poke the bear. So it looks like it's time to annihilate the viking (and maybe Greece) and use the upgraded troops to knock down Mr Suddenly Neutral and secure my island paradise....

Happy accidents, I guess.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #14419 on: January 26, 2021, 04:51:20 PM

Uh, Skyrim is merely 9 years old.

I bought TESO in a sale a few years ago and, to me, it played nothing like a solo Elder Scrolls Game. It had very much an MMO feel and was lifeless without a guild. I didn't get very far in it.

errr, whoops! no idea where that extra 1 came from, sorry!  And yeah, I think everything from Bethesda since Skyrim has been sliding downhill, and thus TESO being highest on that slope makes it the closest we are likely to get, in spite of it's MMO-ness.  Everything since Skyrim has been more and more about monetization and control, and less and less about modding and letting players tune (or fix) their magnificent but buggy as hell foundations.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: