Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:42:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173251 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14280 on: October 29, 2020, 06:12:12 PM

I started playing Stellaris.

For a game where nothing really happens and none of the subsystems are that fun.. I still stayed up til 3am.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14281 on: October 30, 2020, 09:14:40 AM

PS5 with the disc for me, for obvious reasons.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14282 on: October 30, 2020, 09:24:04 AM

Finished Little Nightmares. Not perfect, but the main thing that stood out to me was it being short, sweet and self-contained. I wish more games were like that.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14283 on: October 30, 2020, 09:54:12 AM

Back to No Man's Sky. I think the person on Steam who said "it's like the dad who says he's going out for cigarettes and then actually comes back" got it right. They keep making it better. It's a lot closer to what I imagined it might be, that's for sure.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14284 on: October 30, 2020, 10:44:44 AM

Finished Obra Dinn. Good game and it kind of makes me want to play Papers, Please again. For some reason, that title didn't resonate with me initially. I got stuck for a bit, but then I keyed in on sailor roles, nationality, and positions a bit better. Easy thing that I ignored: read the whole book. There's even a glossary.

New PoE league is now delayed to January, due to them not wanting to compete with Cyberpunk. Current league has stabilized and the economy isn't super destroyed anymore. I have a feeling the no-lifers are just hoarding exalts at this moment or feeding them into mirror tier crafts. The gameplay loop isn't super great for this one. Heist has turned into "Path of Open These Doors" although some of the gems and items introduced are pretty neat.

Need to find a new side game.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14285 on: October 31, 2020, 06:11:18 AM

Let me know when you find one. I actually thought about reinstalling League of Legends after 5ish years of not playing it. Then I woke up.

Been playing a bit of Last Epoch and Dota Underlords when I feel like playing something.
Rasix

Reply #14286 on: October 31, 2020, 12:51:19 PM

I tried The Last of Us 2 last night. Yah, not sure I can play this. The game is already putting me in the shoes of someone about to do something completely horrible. I'm sure I'm going to be hitting button prompts for something I would never do or consider doing. Yep, I kind of get the criticism.

Stealth gameplay seems solid. Presentation is top notch as expected. Just, I dunno. Feeling horrible isn't great.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14287 on: October 31, 2020, 07:25:04 PM

I am not sure some of the people saying that about Last of Us 2 say it about other games where that's the same schtick, e.g., GTA. But I do get it--with a very limited number of exceptions. I just don't feel like playing a game where I'm railroaded into doing bad stuff or making dumb decisions because the plot requires it.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14288 on: October 31, 2020, 09:40:46 PM

I didn't finish it for unrelated reasons, but I found the decision making wasn't *dumb* so much as *emotional*.  It makes sense in the context of the characters and the moment.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #14289 on: November 03, 2020, 12:25:54 PM

I am not sure some of the people saying that about Last of Us 2 say it about other games where that's the same schtick, e.g., GTA. But I do get it--with a very limited number of exceptions. I just don't feel like playing a game where I'm railroaded into doing bad stuff or making dumb decisions because the plot requires it.

I had to stop playing the main story line in GTA V when I was forced to torture a guy to advance the story. Not only did I have to torture him with one implement, like car battery electrocution, but I was forced to use all options available. When you can't even watch what your character is doing and have no choice but to do it to advance the story, I'm done with the "story".
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14290 on: November 03, 2020, 12:46:31 PM

Trevor was amazing. The Last of Us is just depressing and stilted.
Rasix

Reply #14291 on: November 04, 2020, 09:15:34 AM

Pushed through the uneasiness and got farther in Last of Us 2. The gross thing I was worried about at least wasn't you doing it (and it was a different target). Still gruesome and wasn't easy to watch. This isn't that great of a game though as far as being a game goes. The Naughty Dog formula for this feel pretty stale and limited. Story -> very small action scene -> more story -> repeat -> big ass action sequence where you blow all of your ammo. Shooting in this is pretty rough and I really don't like using the guns. Not sure I'll finish. Story is interesting, but I'm sure it'll just cascade into a parade of misery.

Stash tab affinities (easier loot sorting) coming to PoE soon. Still pretty done with this league. I got the cat reward, so I'm good.

Putting down Hades until my arm feels better and cross saves are in. I could try with the pro controller, but I think I'd prefer an Xbox or PS4 controller.  

Think I'll look at something crafting/exploratory in an open world or sim type environment.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:17:46 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14292 on: November 04, 2020, 11:29:07 AM

I'd replay Days Gone again rather than try to finish TLOU once. In fact, I started a second playthrough of DG in NG+, though having cleared all the exploration stuff off the map already makes it a bit less fun, since my ADHD has less toys to juggle.

Speaking of juggling toys, I'm a few days into the DLC for Odyssey, around the 180-185 hour mark thus far. Ye gods (why so serious?) it's a big game. I'll want a break from the formula once I'm done, I'm sure, but in those 180+ hours, I only considered taking a break once, around the 150 hour mark (I had been doing a ton of exploration stuff before getting back on the main quest).
Rasix

Reply #14293 on: November 04, 2020, 12:19:44 PM

I'd replay Days Gone again rather than try to finish TLOU once. In fact, I started a second playthrough of DG in NG+, though having cleared all the exploration stuff off the map already makes it a bit less fun, since my ADHD has less toys to juggle.

Just for you:
https://twitter.com/BendStudio/status/1323686438127325187

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14294 on: November 04, 2020, 12:46:03 PM

Oh, damn! I did! That will be a nice surprise when (if) I can snag a PS5. I'll put a pin in my NG+ for that!

Really looking forward to what they can do with the new controller for DG2. I thought maybe I was overreacting to the motion aiming but when I got back into DG for a bit after a billion hours in AC, it was sooo nice to tweak my aim with motion. I'm a fan and it should be in every shooter ever. In fact, I wish it were more robust and tune-able (maybe a modifier for a dpi-like toggle).
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #14295 on: November 05, 2020, 05:51:44 PM

BG3 for a bit.  will come back to it when it is a bit more ready.

World of Tanks and Grim Dawn

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14296 on: November 08, 2020, 01:23:57 PM

Finished control.

It has too many slogs through similar offices but also some really great bits. The 'ashtray maze' bit where they just make you feel powerful while playing rock music is great, but then they hit you into a really tiresome finale.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14297 on: November 09, 2020, 12:14:46 AM

What the Golf?, on the PC. It's got some funny bits, but it's repetitive and there are some levels which are no fun when you're not using a touchscreen.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14298 on: November 11, 2020, 10:06:37 AM

Finished control.

It has too many slogs through similar offices but also some really great bits. The 'ashtray maze' bit where they just make you feel powerful while playing rock music is great, but then they hit you into a really tiresome finale.

Just finished the ashtray maze. Damn, that part was simply fantastic. The game is a solid 7 out of 10 for me. It's good but I was hoping for a more disturbing setting, and it comes off too mild for me. That part though, makes you forget what you are playing and it just makes you go HELL YEAH!

Rasix

Reply #14299 on: November 11, 2020, 10:29:55 PM

Finished Last of Us 2.  Yep. Not sure why I did. What a completely unfulfilling experience. Stale gameplay and a story that leaves you feeling like someone crowbarred your grandma in front of you. DVDA of misery.

I need the video game equivalent of eye bleach.

-Rasix
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14300 on: November 14, 2020, 03:18:38 AM

Picked up Rocket League again after 5 years of not touching it. I suck at it, but it's fun. Messing around with Sea of Thieves - I have no idea what I'm doing.

Also trying to resist the lure of the Destiny 2 expansion... because I know I'm going to be disappointed by Bungie again!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14301 on: November 14, 2020, 06:43:20 AM

Finally put down Hades after it took ~30 runs to unlock my last companion bond. Moving on to Inside, which should be quick.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14302 on: November 14, 2020, 09:03:36 AM

I've been playing Necromunda Underhive Wars in between bouts of a really long Football Manager 2020 playthrough. It's janky as all fuck, but if you liked the original minis game (or the followup), I think this is a decent translation of that. It's not quite X-Com like - the individual soldier movement is just stupid as fuck, but everything else seems to be decent. The biggest flaw besides movement is the tendency to just put every single number on the UI that can be shown, and it feels like most of those numbers can just be ignored.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14303 on: November 16, 2020, 02:30:45 AM

Finished INSIDE. Really fun for what it is, but I felt the story was a bit of a let down. To me it feels like one of those games where the story isn't told clearly because there isn't a strong, cohesive plot to tell.
Rasix

Reply #14304 on: November 17, 2020, 08:34:01 AM

Started playing No Man's Sky. Went into this nearly blind and it's interesting so far. Do you get random starting planets each time or is the story taking you through a stock set of planets? So far I'm only on my second planet and just started base building. Two hot planets in a row. I can't say the survival aspects are that interesting, but I'll probably leave them on.

The UI is something, though. Woof.

Fake edit:
Would you recommend playing this on controller? M/KB is OK. Kind of awkward, but it's sufficient.

-Rasix
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #14305 on: November 17, 2020, 01:00:58 PM

Everything is random in NMS.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14306 on: November 17, 2020, 03:56:48 PM

NMS is random. I finally found a planet the other day where the weather's nice, the scenery is beautiful, and the Sentinels are not a big deal.

You'll see planets that feel very very similar again and again but then suddenly you'll land on one and it'll be completely different than anything you've ever seen. I landed on one the other day that has normal weather except for occasional extreme hot thunderstorms but the wildlife is an unbelievable freak show of body shapes and behaviors I've never seen on any other planet--a wriggling pile of squid tentacles, strange flying-burrowing things, hopping penises, etc. plus with a great color palette. I landed on one last week that had only one lifeform but it had these really bizarre lit shaped plant-statue things that were yellow and black while the entire planet was in night-shadow all the time and a deep inky purple everywhere.

The UI is a pain, yes. Though eventually it starts to feel pretty understandable and familiar. I don't find it any easier on console.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14307 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:30 AM

My last restart was on a mildly toxic planet that made the initial survival portion really intense. At first I was considering starting over, but running on the ragged edge for most of the first planet turned out to be the most fun I had in that run...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14308 on: November 18, 2020, 06:17:41 AM

I finished Control. Gameplay is solid and the premise and atmosphere is great, but as I probably said before I hoped for something a bit more disturbing. It feels like this game was meant to stay within a certain line of "weird and creepy" and because of that it falls unfortunately short for me. Also, the ending is one of the biggest let downs to memory in my book. I couldn't believe it was over.

A solid game, I give it a 7.5 out of 10, but it could have and should have been so much more.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14309 on: November 18, 2020, 07:00:50 AM

Hmm. Wouldn't it be cool if we could add a Zoo to our bases and collect some of the more bizarre fauna to stock it?
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14310 on: November 18, 2020, 09:08:36 PM

I'm weak. I bought the Destiny 2 expansion after swearing blind I wouldn't. The campaign is good so far - and I've gone into it knowing that I won't be grinding heavily afterwards... I'll find something else to play instead

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14311 on: November 19, 2020, 07:05:32 AM

Hmm. Wouldn't it be cool if we could add a Zoo to our bases and collect some of the more bizarre fauna to stock it?

Yes!

I landed on a moon last week that didn't seem to have any life so I was just going about my business when the ground shook and some kind of giant armored worm that was about 30 or 40 times my size jumped up near me and arced into the sky, very nearly into orbit. Never seen anything like that since. There's a lot of cool stuff in the current version of the game.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14312 on: November 23, 2020, 05:11:12 AM

Been playing Hades a lot in the last few days. Finally clearing things and got my first companion unlock.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14313 on: November 23, 2020, 12:35:56 PM

Finally broke through on Horizon Dawn and played a lot of it the last three days. Good stuff if rather familiar gameplay.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14314 on: November 23, 2020, 01:26:24 PM

Finished 428: Shibuya Scramble. Definitely an interesting Visual Novel, though there's a bit of repetition and clunkiness at times. Also has moments of weird tone, mixing absolutely serious moments with weird silly humorous bits. Might be a Japanese thing.

Currently making my way through Tyranny and really enjoying it, which is lucky as I'd purposely ignored it for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: