Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632496 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1015 on: August 19, 2008, 08:23:41 AM

It's interesting that you mention this.  I found that the better the guitarist I played with was, the thicker the pick they used.  I've always loved the attack of a thick pick, but found I could control a thin pick better.  I guess this says a lot about my guitar skill. 

That is interesting. I feel like I'm finally getting decent at least.  why so serious?

Actually, I don't think I'll ever be that great. I'm too lazy! Or maybe I should say complacent. Not really in learning so much - I like learning. But I'm lazy in implementation. Especially recording. I think I've always been pretty good at getting a good riff out... But I hate making up a bunch of parts and composing things to make it all sound truly great. I don't have the discipline or patience for that. I need someone else to kick my ass probably. It's either that, or I join jam bands. Not much of a middle ground between the two for me.

======

On another note.. I was just wondering... Does anyone here rip off Jimi a little? I ran into a little riff earlier, and it sounds really Jimi like (but not exactly something he's done himself). It's weird though... I've been spending time trying to learn Little Wing, but this sounds more like late period funk Jimi.

Jimi Ripoff

Bad quality, I know. It's just a garageband thing through my computer mic I did real quick. You get the idea though. And if anything, this PROVES that a Jazzmaster can sound like a Strat.  wink

[edit] On a sidenote, John Frusciante is the premier "funk period Jimi" knockoff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:43:31 AM by Stray »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1016 on: August 19, 2008, 06:09:20 PM

Lenny Kravitz has his Jimi moments too.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: August 19, 2008, 07:03:23 PM

I hate thin picks and always have, even back when I was a novice first learning.  I prefer a good thick pick.  A quarter or nickel works well too.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1018 on: August 20, 2008, 09:08:07 AM

If I use a pick, I use mediums. Lately, I don't use a pick -- have actually gotten in the habit of keeping my right hand nails a little bit long. I tear them regularly, given that I mostly fingerpick on medium-gauge steel strings!

I only ever really used a thin pick for that particularly slappy-slappy strum sound, but when I do that I invariably break the tip off them, I guess because I hold them too tight.

Posted a video of myself playing that tune "November" which I posted here a while back.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2008/08/17/the-sunday-video-november/
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1019 on: August 20, 2008, 09:10:55 AM

Really beautiful Raph.  smiley

Who would you say is your main influence anyways?
Raph
Developers

Reply #1020 on: August 20, 2008, 08:35:22 PM

For writing, it's Paul Simon and Billy Joel. I aim for that sort of melodic quality (I like stuff you can hum), and if it has lyrics, that literate quality when they are at their best. For playing... lots and lots of folk artists with alternate tunings and stuff, some obscure and some not. I don't actually listen to all THAT much instrumental acoustic guitar. So for me an instrumental piece is just a song that doesn't have lyrics.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: August 21, 2008, 03:49:44 AM

One thing I am not much of a fan of is 5-6 layered guitar tracks on a song in a 3 or 4 piece band.  Either they end up faded so poorly into the mix you can't hear them or they jumble around and don't contribute much to the song besides a mess and expense.  Then there is the complication of actually trying to make the song sound something similar live.

I always thought that was cool about Dimebag on, what album was that? (I think it was first on Vulgar Display of Power).  They decided to just play what they could reproduce live and would drop the rhythm guitar tracks during the solo.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: August 21, 2008, 03:52:21 AM

I hate thin picks and always have, even back when I was a novice first learning.  I prefer a good thick pick.  A quarter or nickel works well too.
I prefer the green Dunlop Tortex picks.  I've used thicker ones before though.  The Dunlop Jazz IIIs are pretty cool.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: August 21, 2008, 03:56:04 AM

It's interesting that you mention this.  I found that the better the guitarist I played with was, the thicker the pick they used.  I've always loved the attack of a thick pick, but found I could control a thin pick better.  I guess this says a lot about my guitar skill. 

I got ahead of myself with the last two posts because I am reading this backwards, but yeah, I agree.  Pick attack is a huge part of the guitar sound, and I don't understand why guys, like Eric Johnson, shy away from it. Zakk Wylde has kinda got out of control lately, and has not been in my taste with his "HARDCORE PENTATONIC!!!!!!!!!" style, but I always loved his pick attack and how much a part of his sound it was.  I just liked him when he was more melodic.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1024 on: August 21, 2008, 03:58:40 AM

Favorite current Texas dude is Doyle Bramhall II (well, he's not current...been around since Stevie, and made that excellent Arc Angels album about/after Stevie passed away). What I meant though is, I loved Stevie, and then just kind of wanted to stop hearing about him...He's just talked about all the time. Then I came back around again. He deserves to be talked about. The guy was so passionate, playing wise, singing wise. Amazing through and through.

I have that Smokestack album and it kicks ass.  Plus, Doyle's dad helped Stevie write some of his best tunes on "In Step"!
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:00 AM

I fucking hate wankers and struggle to not do that when I play, since I was birthed (musically speaking) in the age of the shred.

I appreciate the technical mastery of wankers, but they are unlistenable to me.  Gilmour in Comfortably Numb or most any Clapton solo evokes far more raw emotion while drawing the listener in.  I always brought this to my professional playing.  When I practice, I'll play crazy Chris Squire of Geddy Lee bass lines, but in front of people I prefer to sit in back and support a solid groove.  I think it's all part of being secure enough to adopt a less-is-more philosophy with music. 

OMG, the first solo for "Comfortably Numb", and especially the first bar of the solo, is one of the most incredibly constructed solos, ever.  It sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16:33 AM

Learning guitar is tough. You can have fun and learn power chord songs, but you should also learn to play properly. I did both, I took some classical guitar classes and learned fingerpicking and proper chords and all these years later I am so glad I got that early foundation, because it makes a lot of things easier now. Of course, I blew off a lot of the lessons on fingerpicking and though I'm very good at playing without a pick, I totally suck at learning structured fingerpicking because I took so many shortcuts over the years.

If you just want to be a hack and do power chords, don't ask me for advice.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I look back and think that all the tabs in the music mgazines and this idea that I had to learn shit note for note (which I was too lazy too do in reality) really hampered me.  It was discouraging to look at that stuff and try to get it down.  But at the same time, I looked down on the song books that just showed you the basic chords, with no riffs.

It wasn't until I was able to sing and play at the same time that things started to come together.  I'm super out of practice right now, but at least I know how to do it if I want to get it together.

Yeah, it's long and boring to learn all those scales, chords, and arpeggios, but that's where it is at.  You can learn riffs until the cows come home, but learning riffs, "note for note", doesn't really teach you how to mix everything together.  Once you learn all that "other" stuff, your bass player can start playing something he came up with and you can derive riffs from the things he's playing and not have to resort to doubling what he's playing (and vice versa).

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24:21 AM

Sorry for the necro.

My birthday was on Sunday, and my parents decided to buy me a guitar. I've been interested in learning for quite a long time, but never really had the balls to go and pick one up.

The problem is, I really have no idea how to choose one. What I should buy along with it? Does anyone know of a good program for learning? I would go for private lessons, but I'm broke.

I'm leaning towards a nylon-string, maybe a Yamaha C40? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Please mention anything I'm forgetting about.

Thanks.

I didn't know anything about acoutsics when I got my first.  I needed one because my college dorm did not allow electrics.  I got a nylon string because my uncle suggested one, but I wasn't interested in classical music and was kicking myself for not getting a steel string.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:20 AM

Thirdly, don't spend a lot of money until you know if you'll stick with it. A few years learning the basics on a cheapo and you will be ready to move up to a mid-range instrument and know what to look for in one.

YES!!!!

Beginners are so lucky these days with all the quality cheap guitars available.  I remember when the Korean stuff sucked, but it all seems really good now, and is CHEAP!  Yamaha seems to make really good beginner stuff.

I own a Baby Taylor that I bought for airline travel.  It sounds great and was cheap.  However, you do have to make tuning adjustments because of the very short scale.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1029 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10:54 AM

Wow, that's a lot of replies in a row.  awesome, for real
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1030 on: August 21, 2008, 08:14:54 PM

Wow, that's a lot of replies in a row.  awesome, for real

My computer is in an office outside my house and I got locked out, without my keys.  My roommate had company over and I didn't want to bother him, so I stayed up super late and posted to some old threads.  I ended up sleeping on the floor, using my backpack as a pillow, until he got up and unlocked the house.

It was a weird night.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1031 on: August 25, 2008, 08:31:01 AM

Dunlop 1.5mm. Don't like anything else, I wear the fuck out of them. Most are rounded way down, I need some new ones. I started on mediums, always broke them and they just didn't have enough dig for heavy palm-muting I was doing back then. Got a 1.5mm and never looked back, perfect thickness. Also use my fingers a lot. Raph has some nice technique. Found a vid of the guy I keep mentioning from the ren faire, Conrado Garcia on charango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHyTs_EMOI I want that technique! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2xmbm2rTik

On the topic of playing accessories, my first slide was a bic lighter, held between my index and ring finger with the middle holding it down. Now I can only play slide with my middle finger. Currently using a chromed steel slide. I bought three originally, the steel one and two made of glass. One glass was too thin, the other is nice and thick but it's blown glass and not straight, so tough to chord.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1032 on: August 25, 2008, 08:53:40 AM

I play on my middle too. I prefer glass on acoustic, and steel on electric (but I hardly ever play slide on electric...if I had a specific guitar to set up the bridge for it, I would).
Raph
Developers

Reply #1033 on: August 25, 2008, 06:34:48 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Sky. :) It's funny how posting a video got so much more of a response (not here, but everywhere) than just posting an audio track.

I play slide with a medium glass slide, on the index finger, in my lap, usually, and sometimes with the guitar held normally, on my middle finger.

And when I play slide, I am usually doing it on the '62 Gibson L000 acoustic, where it just *screams* -- totally awesome sound. That guitar has a very old-timey sort of sound to it, and it just really clicks with slide. Plus the action is a bit high anyway. Or I'll play it on the (also '62) Gibson Melody Maker, where I have to be very careful and light and am usually doing it fuzzed out.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1034 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:22 AM

I don't know what the hell I was saying.. I actually use my slide on my pinky. Mostly open E or G. For whatever reason that I can't explain, I like playing in both tunings with a capo on the first fret. Especially open E/capo 1st. I just love that. My acoustic isn't set up for slide, but it still works well. Pretty interchangeable.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: August 26, 2008, 07:15:27 AM

I don't want to bang up the SG with the slide, I play on my old Cort that I set the action way high and keep in open G. I need to get back to playing more, this whole home buying/construction/moving thing has been hell on my free time. It is nice to finally have a place where I can open up the amp and play without bothering the landlord, or sit out in my backyard with birds accompanying my acoustic. My recorder sits in a box somewhere  undecided
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: August 26, 2008, 10:47:52 PM

What do you guys use for recording software?  I've got a super old version of Cubasis that is really buggy and has had latency issues with some of the operating systems I've used.  I'm itching to set up my computer to do some basic recording - all my hardware and guitar stuff are right next to it, but I need a low cost solution because this is just for fun.

I've used Kristal and loved that, but it doesn't support MIDI and I've got a Boss DR-660 drum machine for my drums, so I need MIDI to make everything synch up.

Or perhaps I just need a good software solution for the drums.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1037 on: August 27, 2008, 12:09:00 AM

I still use Acid Pro, SoundForge, and now I have added some VSTs to the mix. Drums for me come from either an Alesis SR-16 or loops.

Acid has supported MIDI since version 5 I think. I have done a few things that were half-and-half.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1038 on: August 27, 2008, 08:33:52 AM

I have Cubase and Live on Windows, and only old versions of ProTools on Mac. I don't do much recording anymore, so I just fuck around with garage band....which is actually pretty good for simple home recording.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1039 on: August 27, 2008, 08:36:53 AM

I WANT A MACBOOK PRO.

What? Did I yell. I really do want one. Preferably with a Digi002+protools. Right now I'm using a Fostex MR8HD, it's a really cool unit for basic demo/ideas.

Anyway, I do need to look into recording software, too. Anyone use Audacity?

I've also lamented not having a drum machine to play to. I have a serious love/hate with drum machines, because I hate uninteresting drums and I'm very into syncopation and horrid at notation for time. Once I get unpacked at the new house, my drums are coming out of storage and I'll try to record them. It'll bring out the limitations of my recorder, but paired with software it might be perfect for my basic recording needs. I have to check if it's got a click track, I meander.

Raph, I hope you're using midi to control that Alesis or something. I'm a miditard and putting in step patterns on that unit was TEH DEBIL. We had one in the band room, and doing anything complex on it was impossible, even when blasted on cocaine. The Boss was much better, but still waaaay too limited. And those are pretty much your choices for drum machines. I need a computer package or something, but then things start getting too complex, because I don't want to have to boot the computer to record, I like solid state units I can lug around. I believe I've had this gripe before in this thread :)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1040 on: August 27, 2008, 08:39:05 AM

Uh, yeah, I use audacity, but just for touching up some things. I've never really found much use for sound editors actually. Or post-production in general! Just like to get my shit right through my gear and press record.  awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: August 27, 2008, 11:21:54 AM

It's nice you can play bass, guitar, drums and sing all at the same time and have enough tracks to record it all, too!  awesome, for real

I can only record four live tracks at a time, meaning one 'song' on my Fostex would be the drum kit: snare, kick and two stereo room mics. Rather than bounce that down to two tracks, I'd prefer to copy it over to the pc after the performance and still have all those tracks open to mess around with if needed.

I'm very hands off, if you couldn't tell by the levels and mistakes in my recordings. I do just hit record, I don't even bother getting my shit right first.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1042 on: August 27, 2008, 11:35:03 AM

Nah, I can't play drums for fuck. I have two neighborhood drummers for that, if I ever need them. I also have a ton of loops and some samplers...just haven't messed with that. Got yet another beatmeister (hip hop oriented though) with all kinds of shit too. In fact, it's kind of a shame that I don't take advantage of them much..  undecided

Anyhow, I'm pretty hands off like you too. I can make my way around synths and get something done really well if i put my mind to it, but I'd rather just be a simple guitar player....with someone else doing all the production work. Shit man, I still don't even have any good mics. So I can't even make a decent guitar recording either, when I'm alone at least.

Raph
Developers

Reply #1043 on: August 27, 2008, 11:39:54 PM

Anyway, I do need to look into recording software, too. Anyone use Audacity?

I know it is heresy but I can't stand it. Give me SoundForge or give me death. :P

Raph, I hope you're using midi to control that Alesis or something. I'm a miditard and putting in step patterns on that unit was TEH DEBIL.

I don't do it that way, I do the overlay loop way -- you set the click track going, hit the pads, and it loops and you build up the part. I do it with little quantization. Comes out much more musical, to my mind.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1044 on: August 28, 2008, 03:57:43 AM

Reaper

It's free and it's great.  Both Audacity and SoundForge are useful programs for sound design, but they don't stack up well for recording compared to other programs.

Stray: if you want to mic your amp then a cheap SM57 will be more than adequate.  You can get a good sound with that, assuming you don't want to drop several hundred on a good condensor.  Otherwise, just run the guitar directly into your computer and use some amp modeling plugin.  It will give you more control over the tone anyway.

Edit: I'm generally bored and in need of some practice, so if you guys need any mixing or drum sequencing done I'd be happy to take a stab at it.

Edit 2: Apparently Reaper might not be free anymore.  It was when I downloaded it a few months ago.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:05:10 AM by Phildo »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: August 28, 2008, 07:04:11 AM

I do the overlay loop way -- you set the click track going, hit the pads, and it loops and you build up the part. I do it with little quantization. Comes out much more musical, to my mind.
How do you program in specific parts, changes and non-repetitive beats? I was trying to program a song (prog metal I guess) for my band back in 91 and almost threw the thing out the window.

I mic my guitar with the sm58. Actually I mic everything with it, since it's my only mic :) I used to go direct from my GT6 effects unit into the board, but I've been happy with the mic/amp setup. Still want to get a decent overdrive for when I start playing out, so I'm not lugging the big GT6 board around, even if it's nice to have the versatility at my feet.

Maybe some day when my home is finished, hah. Even thinking about a set of mics for the drum kit is fantasy at this point. Guess that solves my drum tracking issue...mono drum track!
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1046 on: August 28, 2008, 09:12:36 PM

Reaper

It's free and it's great.  Both Audacity and SoundForge are useful programs for sound design, but they don't stack up well for recording compared to other programs.

Kristal Audio Engine + Audacity is a great, free setup.  However, I'd like MIDI support.
Raph
Developers

Reply #1047 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:15 PM

I do the overlay loop way -- you set the click track going, hit the pads, and it loops and you build up the part. I do it with little quantization. Comes out much more musical, to my mind.
How do you program in specific parts, changes and non-repetitive beats? I was trying to program a song (prog metal I guess) for my band back in 91 and almost threw the thing out the window.

I lay down one loop, bring it digital, stripe it, then play fills and the like over it, or replacing bits of it. Same if I need a second drum part.

One of the last things I do to make the drums sound better is to go over the whole drum track with a volume envelope, often beat by beat. It breaks up the sound of looping.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2008, 02:23:01 PM

Bought meself a new beater guitar. I think it's a Hamer PRS copy... I don't know, I got it for cheap.

It's black like this Washburn:

Except no floyd rose (more of a PRS trem on it).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:39:36 PM by Stray »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: September 04, 2008, 02:31:45 PM

I've been playing a mexican Fender Tele as my beater guitar.  I'm thinking the only good use for a mexican Fender is for practicing Who moves.  What a worthless chunk of wood. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: