Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632660 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #385 on: November 26, 2006, 11:10:20 PM

I usually order strings online. Hate going to a store for that.

http://www.juststrings.com/

They have those La Bellas you were talking about, I think. It's a good and fast site to buy bulk from.

Who made that banjo anyways? Or can you tell?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #386 on: November 27, 2006, 08:57:49 AM

I enjoy buying strings. Supports the local music shop, I always buy a few picks though with the heavy gauge I use my picks last for years. I try to buy what I can from them, but they don't stock much good stuff. I got my Alvarez jumbo there. They mostly focus on lessons and school band stuff. Also, good opportunity to shoot the shit with some locals, I helped some guys with a recording solution for their band.

I inherited my grandfather's banjo, a crappy Silvertone. Real crappy, action is ridiculous. I thought about trying to lower the bridge, but I don't want to destroy the thing. I just bought some new strings for it. Need to actually learn how to play it, I tune it like a 5 string guitar :) Right now it's strung with the high and low string and I've been doing an Indian chant with it. Don't ask. In other stringed instrument news, I've been thinking about picking up a Charango. I know a guy from Chile who is just amazing, a master of the instrument. I know him from the renfaire circuit and might be able to talk him into lessons during the summer while his band is here.

Slayer. One of my favorite bands from the early 80s, I remember buying a Metal Massacre compilation with them on it, it turned out to be their vinyl debut. We used to get a lot of compilations because it was a great way back in the pre-internet days of digging new music (and a huge thanks to metal blade records!). There was some metallica, helloween, lots of cool stuff. Then I got their debut, Show No Mercy. Bought every subsequent album up until Seasons of the Abyss. Reign in Blood, of course, is the classic, but there were some great tracks on every album. I even arranged South of Heaven with a midi orchestra when I was in music school. The teacher didn't know the source, but my clique of metal buddies were sniggering in the back of the room. It really lent itself to the full orchestral treatment, suprisingly. For so many instruments, I had to layer in a lot more harmonies and side melodies than the band put in, but it turned out great. Wish I still had a tape of that.

Speaking of tape (I now date myself by calling all recording tape, like the DVR "Did I tape that episode"...bah), I laid down my very first full vocal/guitar song :) I never used to sing (except a few regretable backups) back in my band days. And I did lay down a snippet of "Sweet Dreams" when testing a recording setup (that sucked) in the late 90s. But this is my very first actual recording with my instrumentation + vocals. I did "I Can't Be Satisfied", a Muddy Waters slide in open G. Turned out ok, and I need to clean it up because I was kinda nervous and not really in the zone. Messed up the guitar several times, and my vocals...well, they're on there, anyway. A friend was over for football on Sunday and I played it for him. He loves slide guitar, so he liked it. I asked him about the vocals and he said it sounds like Tom Waits. Not sure if that's a compliment.

I'll probably retrack both the guitar and vocals, but first I want to test out the whole bouncing to the pc thing. The Fostex MR8HD is a nice little unit. A bit limited, but hey, it was only $350. Actually...my first track was "Old Man" by Neil Young...but oof...the vocals on that had me laughing my ass off. I'll stick with Muddy for a while ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 06:54:22 AM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #387 on: November 27, 2006, 11:49:54 AM

Supports the local music shop

Hmm...What's that?  :-D

Seems like everything has been taken over by the Sam Ash and Guitar Centers of the world. Even the local shops that do exist function in much the same way as Guitar Center. There's a popular local shop here in my town called "Hermes Music", but it's just as big and impersonal as Wal Mart.

There's one cool shop that's fairly small, but they specialize in boutique-ish triple rec amps, and not much else.

The used shops spread about have shit for vintage equipment.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: November 27, 2006, 01:14:06 PM

When I'm feeling nostalgic, I like to check out Ed Roman and eBay for vintage stuff. Some of the prices make my jaw drop, but it's still fun to look.  I miss all of the local shops, but can understand why it's so hard to stay in business as one.  Finding cheap gear is as easy as firing up your computer.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #389 on: November 27, 2006, 01:17:51 PM

I like to check out Ed Roman for his rants. He's incredibly asshole-ish.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: November 27, 2006, 01:23:43 PM

I like to check out Ed Roman for his rants. He's incredibly asshole-ish.

I agree.  I think it's his best quality.  Reading the tips on his site reminds me of a sign hanging in a small guitar shop in Minneapolis (B-Sharp was the store if you've ever been there):  "In God we trust.  All others pay with cash."

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #391 on: November 27, 2006, 03:56:42 PM

I usually order strings online. Hate going to a store for that.

http://www.juststrings.com/

Well, I was hoping to have them that day. No such luck.

They have those La Bellas you were talking about, I think. It's a good and fast site to buy bulk from.

Who made that banjo anyways? Or can you tell?

S S Stewart. I blogged in detail, including pictures, here:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/07/07/1894-stewart-banjo/

Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: November 30, 2006, 03:31:18 PM

I got a steel string acoustic when I was 16 and tried to learn how to play for about 15 years on and off, I was pathetically bad however. I could be considered one of the worlds' worst guitar players but I probably don't even qualify for that. Anyways, I've got a masochistic streak and want to give it another go. I remember the first time sitting down with my guitar and not being able to figure out which way to hold it (righty or lefty). I'm sort of ambidextrous, probably more accurate to say I'm neither handed though. I think I wanted to play it lefty but it was strung right-handed so I just stuck with that.

I recently got a cheap nylon string guitar and am thinking maybe I'd have more success playing it lefty, but is it ok to just flip it over to play lefty? I restrung it a few days ago and it seems to work OK but I'm worried the string tensions might warp the neck or something... also should I flip the plastic bridge thingies around (the one at top seems glued in place)?

Another question I have is that I hate having long fingernails, I always cut them all down to the quick so I'm using my fingertips to pluck the strings. Seems like every finger-player (term?) uses their fingernails. I'm also using my pinky to pluck, I haven't noticed guitarists using their pinky much, but I'm thinking why let that bugger go to waste? Will this style work out ok in the long run? thanks
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #393 on: November 30, 2006, 04:39:38 PM

I recently got a cheap nylon string guitar and am thinking maybe I'd have more success playing it lefty, but is it ok to just flip it over to play lefty? I restrung it a few days ago and it seems to work OK but I'm worried the string tensions might warp the neck or something... also should I flip the plastic bridge thingies around (the one at top seems glued in place)?

Don't worry about neck tensions. It's quite fine. If the guitar has been strung like that for a LONG time though (i.e. is it new or old?), then it might mess with the tension a tiny bit. If that's the case, all you'd have to do is readjust the truss rod a small amount (like a 45 degree turn).

Flipping the bridge around is up to you, but not absolutely necessary. It might mess up your intonation a bit though.
Raph
Developers

Reply #394 on: November 30, 2006, 11:35:10 PM

You can play quite successfully with flesh as opposed to nails. So don't worry about it. With nylon, it will not make a huge difference except in tone. If you were playing on steel, playing on nails helps reduce blistering on the fingertips of the picking hand.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: December 01, 2006, 06:49:07 AM

I use my fleshy bits to fingerpick (term: fingerpicker). I'd like to cultivate nails, the guy I mentioned who plays charango has some crazy hard pointy nails, I just can't do it. Also, my style is very influenced by my years playing bass with my fingers (striving to be Cliff Burton or Steve Harris...I can be percussive...). I have a shortcut to callous my right hand, I practice bass for a few hours a day before doing some intense fingerpicking guitar.

Righty/lefty, just go with your writing stance. If you write left-handed, play lefthanded. It really doesn't matter. In fact, that's kinda been my credo: it doesn't matter, go with what's right for you. If it feels natural (and sounds good) playing with your pinky, go for it. I use my pinky occasionally because it just kinda does it (I'm not real disciplined :)). I got a lot of compliments on my bass style when I was in music school because of my (disciplined!) two finger style (it took a lot of work to make them alternate properly), but mostly for my incorporation of the ring finger into more complex rhythm patterns (especially triplets, it's the only way I could play Maiden tunes, hours spent playing The Trooper ftw). So yeah, if it works, work it. If it feels odder than playing without it, maybe you could learn pieces with and without the pinky so you'll be able to play both ways or drop one down the line.

If you do decide to go lefty, you have to make the string flip decision early. Some lefties played with restrung right-hand guitars (Hendrix), some with lefty guitars, some with right-hand guitars strung for right-handers (Albert King, it's one of the reasons for his mighty bends, I've read).

I'm dying to post my crappy little song I recorded, but I'm striving mightily to wait until I have a better version recorded. I've already laid down a new (a bit too drunken) voice part that is much more in the direction I'm trying for. I have a very non-melodic voice (I find it very unpleasant :P) so I'm going for more of a Howlin' Wolf growl, which isn't so apparent in the first take. Also, need to fix a couple guitar bits. My girlfriend says I have 'show & tell' syndrome, as soon as I do something or get something new, I love to share it with everyone.
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: December 02, 2006, 06:17:58 PM

Thanks for the info and tips. Its a new guitar ($99 Yamaha, seems pretty nice considering). Its a very pleasant feeling to play with the fingertips, physically satisfying (I tried with steel strings + pick in the past), though the tone is maybe not as clear as with a pick/nails. I write lefty but do other stuff righty/ambi - I always wondered about guitar handedness, thought the fret hand is the trickier part so its seems a bit counterintuitive how it works out for most people.

Go for it Sky I'd like to hear it, seems like a friendly place here, no worries.

Raph, that ukulele is freaking kool, nice tune (May) and the tone is sweet. Its astounding to me you are an accomplished musician on top of all the other stuff, makes me wonder what your parents/childhood were like. That your granddad had the uke is really neat, such a personal thing, all that sweat and care going into playing it... I wish I had been able to snag my granddads piano.

Thats interesting about Hendrix, his later live recordings have always tore me up real bad, 'Machine Gun' especially just lays me low. I was reading the BBC website last week with my mom nearby, there was a blurb for Jimi's birthday and I mentioned to her that he would have been 64 that day. She said "I didn't know you like Jimi Hendrix" then told me about how she and my dad had taken me to a Hendrix concert when I was about 4 months old, I was like "WHAT?!?"; my mom is the last person in the world I would have expected to be at a Hendrix concert, she is straight out of the old world (from Latvia on a donkey fleeing the Russians during WWII) and very elegant/conservative. She said "I couldn't believe that so much...(pause, clenches fists and grimaces) power could be going through one person." Damn, damn, damn... that hit me in the chest like a hammer.

Raph
Developers

Reply #397 on: December 02, 2006, 11:35:35 PM

Raph, that ukulele is freaking kool, nice tune (May) and the tone is sweet. Its astounding to me you are an accomplished musician on top of all the other stuff, makes me wonder what your parents/childhood were like. That your granddad had the uke is really neat, such a personal thing, all that sweat and care going into playing it... I wish I had been able to snag my granddads piano.

The music stuff seems to have skipped a generation, actually. Both of my grandfathers were musicians. Of my paternal grandfather, my dad said "if it had strings, he could play it." But none of my uncles and aunts play. I do have a few cousins who do, though -- one's a drummer, and I think there's another guitar player. Many of my memories of my paternal grandparents involve song circles around a camper in Key Largo, lots of older folks playing all these jazz tunes.

My other grandfather played the Puerto Rican cuatro. He loved to sit on the porch and noodle on it. I never really listened to him much on it -- now I wish I had. I should chase down a cuatro at some point. Who knows where his ended up.

But me, I didn't pick up the guitar until I was 18. I messed around with keyboards before that. It was one of those things that I just said, "you know, I think I would like to learn how," and I had an old guitar that my brother had taken lessons on and ended up not pursuing.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #398 on: December 03, 2006, 12:11:19 AM

No musicians in my family (that I know of). Several kinds of artists though. My grandmother illustrated a lot of old Hollywood magazines. Mom's involved in arts and crafts stuff. Brother's a painter. I'm a fairly competent doodler. ;)

Picked up guitar at 13. Probably would have done it sooner if I had known it was "possible" (I had been under the impression that it was one of those things only famous people did or something. Hehe). The second I saw one of my old neighbors bust out his electric, I had to get one. He's the guy that originally taught me a lot of surf stuff, and to this day, those sensibilities have stuck with me.

SirFodder, I'm a lefty playing righty too (if I read you correctly). I, too, think it's a natural fit. Most notable guitarist in our boat that I can think of is Nels Cline. Pretty kickass experimental/jazz player, but probably more known for being in Wilco.

Here he is in Banyan.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: December 04, 2006, 06:52:58 AM

No great musicians in my family, and I'm the only one still practicing. I grew up under the piano, though. Had an uncle and grandmother who played a lot, she did all spitiruals (southern baptist) and he was real eclectic (ragtime, 70s rock, classical, tv themes, he had a great ear). My mother used to play, too, but she hasn't in years. I think everyone should play a musical instrument, it's part of being a human :)

Part of why I'm reluctant to upload stuff is that I set the bar very high for myself. Fodder is new and maybe hasn't read the whole thread, but I used to be a pro metal bass player back in the 80s/90s (no you never heard of us or I'd still be pro hehe). Now I play blues guitar. My bar for quality is set where I left it when playing metal, very high. I was at the top of my game, pushed to what I could do with my genetics, when I was playing metal, vs being a blues newb. I'm used to having a singer as good as Bruce Dickinson or Geoff Tate, and my voice is barely musical. I've forgotten just about everything about recording I learned in school. So I'm wicked shy about my music right now, even if I'm not exactly a shy person about anything else...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: December 04, 2006, 09:24:47 AM

[link removed]

Sorry, the hosting was only temoporary. I lost my isp password :P
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 06:53:45 AM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #401 on: December 04, 2006, 11:23:22 AM

Link doesn't work. You did that on purpose, didn't you?  tongue

I don't upload anything because I sold my mics. Serious!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: December 04, 2006, 11:38:43 AM

Oops.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #403 on: December 04, 2006, 12:18:41 PM

Pretty cool man. I thought you said you had problems with slide? Sounds good to me. That was G right? Do you have anything in E too? I've been dabbling with that tuning lately myself.

One nitpick though: Need to turn down the lows a bit, and get that bad boy in the midrange (or alternatively, play on your bridge pickup). Also, bring those vocals to the forefront (not bad btw!).

[edit] Or in other words, I'd really like to record you Sky ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:20:49 PM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: December 04, 2006, 12:33:17 PM

I botched a spot where the lyrics break for a bass solo (that's not on there), and ended on the wrong note :) It's in open G. I don't have any EQ set up (I don't have an EQ), I probably could have imported it into Cakewalk, but I don't know how to use Cakewalk. I've got an old copy a friend gave me without a manual and the only manual I could find to download is the wrong version...And forget adjusting the guitar, that's my crapola guitar an ex-girlfriend left me because she felt too bad about me not having a guitar to take it. Cort strat knock-off, total garbage. I set the strings wicked high so it works decent for slide stuff and I can leave it in open tunings rather than always retuning. I also prefer a low boost like that, chalk it up to years of cutting out the midrange playing bass. But even when I was in school, no 'trained' people ever like my mixes, I guess I have an odd ear.

I did mess around with open E a couple weeks ago when I was toying with Statesboro Blues (Allmans version), but I decided to stick with works-in-progress before starting anything new. Muddy Waters played in open G for all of his early career, which is what I'm working on right now.

Finally, my bass thumb on guitar just sucks imo :) It's hard for me to break it into two seperate lines.

Vocals intentionally put way in the back :P
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: December 04, 2006, 10:37:44 PM

That put a big  cool on my face Sky, bravo! (btw I've been around forever, just don't post much).

I was one of 6 kids, and the only one to never receive musical instruction. All the rest got extensive training, I was the only kid seriously interested in music too, WTF mom and dad? They said I was too "difficult" to even try,  jeesh; I went downtown (a BIG no no!) with a pocket full of change when I was in second grade and bought Sgt. Peppers. The thin tie clerks gave me a ton of good natured crap, especially when they found I was short some change, they still let me have the album. Of course nowadays I'm the only one among my siblings still pursuing music.

One note regarding my folks bringing me to see Hendrix when I was an infant; I've always "bragged" tongue in cheek that my first concert was a Neil Sedaka and Carpenters show I saw at age 7 or so, haha! Apparently I also got to see Glen Campbell perform "in a small restaurant with about 5 other people present" a few days after the Hendrix show. Damn. Neil and Carpenters were only my 3rd show  cry   :-D

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: December 05, 2006, 09:26:00 AM

Hardly worth a bravo, but thanks.

My lady gets out of work a half hour later than I, so last night I broke out the guitar when I got home, intending to lay down a twelve bar to play over. I'm very bad at discipline, as I've mentioned, I can't even keep a twelve bar rhythm going without noodling around...Anyway, while I was tuning up the acoustic, I revisited an old jam I'd shared here before, so I decided to lay it down for grins. And just like the original, once I'd laid down the rhythm I had to put a lead on it...then I decided to add another rhythm track...and then I decided to put on a mysterious background sound..

It's a fingerpicked acoustic rhythm on 1, I think I flatpicked the acoustic solo on 2, a flatpicked acoustic rhythm (for percussiveness) on 3, and some spacey guitar sound on my SG on 4. Pushed the two rhythm tracks left and right, pushed the SG way back for just a kind of ethereal odd sound in the back. Very sloppy as always, just first take improv stuff I quickly laid down (about 15 minutes total) while waiting to go to the store. Once I spend the time to do good takes I might actually be happy with my stuff :)

I've got a lot of work ahead to get back my recording skills. One reason my mixes are not up to snuff is my monitor situation. I used to have good studio monitors and headphones, as well as a variety of stuff to play the mixes on (home stereo with nice speakers, etc). Now I've got cheap old pc powered monitors (shorted out, they suck), a cheap headphone I used to use for teamspeak, and my 5.1 (which lacks good stereo fronts because I'm cheap).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 06:54:10 AM by Sky »
Raph
Developers

Reply #407 on: December 05, 2006, 09:51:18 AM

Nice solo/lead playing, but yeah, you're right, you lack discipline for rhythm. I thought you had played bass! Next time, only lay one rhythm track. ;)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: December 05, 2006, 10:00:33 AM

I was trying to layer and intertwine them, because the fingerpicked and percussive things played well off each other...I just couldn't hear the first one well when I was laying down the second one and kept forgetting where the changes were because I was doing it off the cuff :) When I played bass, I had an amazing drummer to keep time and whatnot.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: December 05, 2006, 11:12:07 AM

Oh i liked that spanish like one. Mix was a bit messy, but solo and fingerpicking was real nice.

Its nearly a year since i started playing, and seem to be keen as ever. Hope i keep it up as long as you guys, perhaps one day i will be able to lay down the Dragonforce solo of my dreams lol.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: December 09, 2006, 12:01:53 PM

I missed the performance - maybe you could find another host? I'd like to hear it!
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:13 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to hold my classical type guitar, the left side of my back ends up getting fatigued real quick (playing left handed). I put a strap on it and it helps a lot though its still not great. I don't like the idea of using a foot stool / raising one leg up to rest the guitar on. I watched some videos of classical guitarists not using a foot stool but I can't figure out how they do it, like this guy (who IMO is amazing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W7CCQi-CWI     I tried holding the guitar like him but the neck wants to just fall down to horizontal, how the heck is he holding it like that?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #412 on: December 19, 2006, 01:44:17 AM

Takes practice.

Like I said to someone earlier in this thread, a big part about learning an instrument is dexterous. Getting acquainted and used to the physicality of it. Be it piano, horns, percussion, or string instruments.

----

Sorry to derail, but I came across a cool video of one of my favorite guitarists (and singer/songwriters to boot):

Richard Thompson - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Pretty cool. I wish all my favorite musicians filmed themselves strumming in their living rooms.

Any Fairport/Thompson fans here?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: December 19, 2006, 07:27:38 AM

That guy was pretty good. As far as classical guitarists, I've been listening to Christopher Parkening doing some Segovia and flamenco. Sans Placido, though ;) Also some Pepe Romero, who is pretty amazing. The guy who first got me into flamenco style (though he's really more jazz now that I'm eruditer ;)) was Paco DeLucia on the amazing Friday Night in San Francisco, with John McLaughlin and Al DiMeola. If you don't own that album, YOU MUST GO BUY IT NOW. It's the best guitar album I've ever heard, I've had a copy since 84 or so.

The guy Fodder is looking at seems to be balancing the butt of the guitar in his lap. I imagine that would take some practice. I sit the hip of the guitar on my right leg (I'm right-handed), though I was taught to sit it on my left leg with a foot step. I might play around with new stances because lately I've really been digging into the top side with my upper right arm. I don't know if that's because I'm just playing so much more acoustic now (blues and some clsasical I'm working on for the holidays) or if it's because it's a jumbo guitar or what.
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: December 19, 2006, 01:45:06 PM

Damn, you people have some good taste, I usually have a hard time finding music I like. Thompson is amazing, I just heard his stuff for the first time a few weeks ago on a Sierra Nevada show that popped up on a public access channel. I was admiring his stage presence/writing/singing for a while, then suddenly it hit me what an amazing guitarist he is.  DeLucia yes! DiMeola not so much, he always seemed to me a bit spastic and infatuated with technique, same for McLaughlin but I do like some of his early 70's stuff. Haven't heard any of their more recent (post mid 70s) stuff though, I'll keep an eye out for the live album.

Back to guitar holding: in that Parkening video he seems comfortable with the foot stool but his torso appears sort of twisted, I want to avoid that (my spine is really long and back not too strong) and the between the legs style seems more ergonomic (I'm not sure though) and sexy to boot. If I try to hold the guitar this way though it seems to be more than just a matter of dexterity, it would require superhuman picking-arm-strength or a super sticky guitar without propping it with the fretting hand, which seems awkward...

Hmm! I was looking for more examples of guitar holding and came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeAbllBpGo  and this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZkK5Bbn0Og  There appears to be some kind of stand attached to the side-underside ofthe guitar. I thought there was something fishy going on. Anyone know anything about this prop thingy?

Damn though, I took another look at that Peo Kindgren video I posted and there appears to be no prop, the guitar seems to just magically stick there, it can't be balanced at that angle! and it's clear that his fret hand isn't propping it up, what the heck is going on? Hmm, is it just a shadow here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0tuRFHbUg maybe he's got a mini-prop?
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: December 19, 2006, 03:17:16 PM

If you want a guitar that naturally holds itself in an upright position you could always try a Flying V Accoustic. Gimmicky though!

Paul Gilbert playing spanish guitar. I won't comment on the standard of his playing compared to the masters listed above, but it's a really nice tune.
I don't really have a clue whats going on here. Some kind of Japanese TV show involving him and Marty Friedman. I like the way that even though they both speak Japanese, they get subtitled. Bizarre and strangely watchable though, and plenty of good ol' guitar wankery.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #416 on: December 19, 2006, 04:52:01 PM

Yeah, that's a great show. I wish someone did something like that in America.

...Then again, maybe not. Without the Japanese goofiness, it'd probably suck.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #417 on: December 19, 2006, 05:31:48 PM

Damn, you people have some good taste, I usually have a hard time finding music I like. Thompson is amazing, I just heard his stuff for the first time a few weeks ago on a Sierra Nevada show that popped up on a public access channel. I was admiring his stage presence/writing/singing for a while, then suddenly it hit me what an amazing guitarist he is.

Yeah, I really dig him. Definitely in my top 10. Too bad there aren't very many good examples of his electric playing on Youtube...Especially before he left Fairport. He's an amazing lead guitar player, but on acoustic, it's the singing and songwriting that stand out (I'm not complaining though).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 06:08:55 PM by Stray »
Sir Fodder
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: December 19, 2006, 10:56:04 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realize Richard Thompson was in Fairport. Back in '84 I saw an open air Jethro Tull concert on a pier in NYC (right next to that aircraft carrier they just moved); the opening act was supposed to be "Fairport Five" but there was a transport problem and only 2 of the members made it on time, I'm now almost certain one of them must have been Thompson - there was some prodigious acoustic jamming going on. The Tull band joined them on stage and they had a raucous medievalish acoustic set that was freaking amazing, one of those things where everything just came together perfect.

OK, I think I've got to the bottom of this mysteriously balanced guitar mystery! Take a look at the ErgoPlay and Efel Rest on this page: http://www.staffordguitar.com/shop/accessoriesnew.asp  I must have one of these things, anyone have recommendations for online guitar gear sellers?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #419 on: December 20, 2006, 02:20:29 AM

That might have been him in 84, but not likely. He was one of the founders of Fairport, but he left in the early 70's. He occasionally gigs with them though.

The Thompson era Fairport (which was more Folk Rock-ish, with Thompson's guitar antics) is a completely different beast than what it became (more Folk and Experimental).

This is the only decent example of him in Fairport on Youtube:

Time Will Show the Wiser

Really cool groove, some great lead fill ins (although brief). Still not a good example though.

[EDIT] Crap, I screwed up in editing this thing and lost another link I put up....Oh well.

Anyhow, he's not doing Paganini like some of these links you guys are posting. ;) I don't like him because of virtuosity or anything. He just has these quivering vibrato techniques that I love...Really expressive, even with one note.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:54:29 AM by Stray »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: