Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632631 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #210 on: December 08, 2005, 04:43:46 AM

I still have my first real guitar that I saved my money from detasiling corn and doing odd jobs.  It is a Gibson Corvus II, still in great shape after all these years.  I'm not sure what happened to my Peavey Decade practice amp...should have gotten the Marshal 10 back in the 80's, but hey I was a rock-n-roll plowboy who dug the country/rock mix.   :-D

I'm glad I didn't add the Kahler aftermarket or Floyd Rose aftermarket tremolos system and I'm really glad I didn't get the Washburn tremolos system that the guitar shop wanted me to get, even if it didn't add any holes to my ax (heck I can't find any information on that unit...it was a big clunky system that mounted in your bridge and had all the cams in there so they didn't have to cut into your body, with a neck locker too...).

Found a pic of what the Corvus I looks like :
http://www.muc.de/~hm/music/Guitars/gibson-corvus-82973530/

Yeah, those were made when 80's guitarists considered Gibson's timeless designs, like the LP, to be out of touch (when it was actually those guitarists who were out of touch). The same thing happened to Fender to an extent as well. That was probably the last time when an average player could get a real nice vintage piece for an affordable price......Because all of the expensive guitars were Jacksons and Kramers!

Some of the ideas from back then were pretty neat though. The Corvus is both can opener AND guitar at the same time ;).[
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #211 on: December 08, 2005, 06:26:26 AM

My guitar player had a couple nice Ibanez blade guitars, a bit thinner than my SG, basic strat body shape, though. My bass is an 80s metal shape, very pointy, kinda like an explorer put through the Buzz Bunny experience. And I did play BC Richs for a while, I would still play a Warlock, they are pretty nice. But yeah, the 80s had some very weird stuff, especially the headless little box guitars.

Tremolos...blah. Everyone and their brother was using Floyd Rose floating bridges (and Jacksons and Kramers, heh), and I had such a heavy right hand (my band began as pure thrash metal, we were blistering) I'd fuck up everyone's guitar when I played it :P I hated those things, probably formed my anti-tremolo bias I still have. First thing I'd do with a new guitar is take off the bar if it had one. Love my SG with just a simple fixed bridge, it's perfect.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: December 09, 2005, 10:55:09 PM

good stuff here for you Sky

http://www.godofguitar.com/poses.htm

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: December 15, 2005, 03:15:59 AM

Nice thread.

I'll be buying my first guitar tommorow. Not sure what one yet, will be heading down to see whats good for me and in my price range. Will be doing the equivilent of taking a mechanic along when buying a car as my guitar playing sound engineer/muscian friend is coming and will test, advise and haggle for me :)

Will also be getting a Guitarport (watch out for the dodgy music on the flash intro if at work, it blares unexpectedly) for effects and stuff. I'm into metal but my (and aforesaid music bloke) roots are in tech/dance music so its a cool crossover with an interface i understand and i like the idea of the online lessons and stuff.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 03:56:03 AM by penfold »
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: December 15, 2005, 06:10:33 AM

Anybody here, besides me, into bluegrass or appalachian folk music?  I've been flat picking on a Martin DMX for 5 or 6 years now but aside from festivals, it's hard to find people to play with anymore. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: December 15, 2005, 06:39:13 AM

I saw an incredible mandolin player with a trio (guitar and fiddle) a couple weeks ago in Clinton. The guy's name escapes me, but he's a legend in the field, he was 71 or 72 and jamming like mad. Had a great and funny personality, too. Wish I could remember his name! An acquaintence of mine from the local Fender shop plays mandolin in a jam band and got on stage with that guy for a few numbers, he was phenomenal as well. Here's the site for his band, WoodenSpoon.

I got a line on another local metal jam, I had mentioned the old one I played at a few times (the first time I've played 'out' in a decade!). This one has all the usual local suspects, so I'm not real hot to get down there, especially in the winter when there is poor turnout (of musicians). There is a reason my band left this area, it's amazingly bad for creative eclectic musical folk....unless you dig a commute to jam, and I like to play a lot. I've gotten responses from a few guys I know that range from a 45 minute commute (each way), which blows for me since I want to jam at least three nights a week, to "I need $150 to plug in" (we call him HunnertFitty now) to "I only practice with the band once a week, I can learn the songs at home" Everyone is very paying-gig oriented, and I'm not in it for money at all, just to jam. Bah.

At least I'm still making (slow) progress in my own playing. It's cool when you're working on some theory and suddenly realize why you've been playing certain riffs for years. I love the feeling when something magically drops into place like that, it's pretty rare. Listening to a lot of Buddy Guy for inspiration, he's the man. Also Susan Tedeschi, she's a total badass. And Brian Setzer, but his playing fries my fragile circuits.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: December 15, 2005, 07:33:20 AM

Nice thread.

I'll be buying my first guitar tommorow. Not sure what one yet, will be heading down to see whats good for me and in my price range. Will be doing the equivilent of taking a mechanic along when buying a car as my guitar playing sound engineer/muscian friend is coming and will test, advise and haggle for me :)

Awesome.  Good idea taking a knowledgeable player with you if it's your first guitar purchase, too.  :)

I also picked up a new bass fairly recently when Musician's Friend was blowing them out at $299 including HSC.  It's not the 5'er I really wanted, but it's still a damned sweet instrument.  Super-articulate (occasionally a bit too bright) thanks to the piezos, and has the ultra-skinny/slim Ibanez bass neck.  Lightweight and very resonant -- sounds great even when played unplugged.  The distinctive looks are just icing, though they're likely the reason the bass is discontinued now.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #217 on: December 15, 2005, 09:13:35 AM

Anybody here, besides me, into bluegrass or appalachian folk music?  I've been flat picking on a Martin DMX for 5 or 6 years now but aside from festivals, it's hard to find people to play with anymore. 

I'm into the more catch-all "Americana", if that counts? I like a lot of old American roots and folk as well, but nothing particularly/strictly bluegrass (not to say that I don't like it....I just don't own any specific albums or play that way).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: December 15, 2005, 09:27:36 AM

That's a shweet looking bass, Mr N! Cool beans. I did the same thing when I got my ESP custom, I had been at the Carvin store playing a very nice 5 string, but I was sold on the neck on the ESP. I do miss Hollywood, with manufacturer stores, vintage stores, and Guitar Center all in a couple blocks.

Now I need some new damn pickups for the old clunker, that's one reason I got it pretty cheap: stock passive crap pickups I always meant to replace with some Bartollini p-bass pickups.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: December 15, 2005, 10:12:11 AM

Nice bass Mr. N.  As for the 5 string bit, I always figured that if I wanted more than 4 strings I'd play guitar.  I'm still banging away on my 1970's Fender Jazz 4 string and can't imagine going to 5.  The neck width alone makes me cry. 

I hope that you discover the joy in music that all of us in this thread find. 

I picked this bass on eBay for dirt cheap last week and have been using it to see if I could harness some new sounds.  It's an inexpensive bass, but put together relatively well for the cost.  If I like the sound and feel of the open body, I'll likely pick up a vintage Vox teardrop or a Gibson from the late 60's.  Now I just need to find a good guitar and I can stop buying instruments for a while... I need an excuse to build myself a new cabinet!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:16:14 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: December 17, 2005, 02:21:07 AM

I still have my first real guitar that I saved my money from detasiling corn and doing odd jobs.  It is a Gibson Corvus II, still in great shape after all these years.  I'm not sure what happened to my Peavey Decade practice amp...should have gotten the Marshal 10 back in the 80's, but hey I was a rock-n-roll plowboy who dug the country/rock mix.   :-D

I'm glad I didn't add the Kahler aftermarket or Floyd Rose aftermarket tremolos system and I'm really glad I didn't get the Washburn tremolos system that the guitar shop wanted me to get, even if it didn't add any holes to my ax (heck I can't find any information on that unit...it was a big clunky system that mounted in your bridge and had all the cams in there so they didn't have to cut into your body, with a neck locker too...).

Found a pic of what the Corvus I looks like :
http://www.muc.de/~hm/music/Guitars/gibson-corvus-82973530/

Yeah, those were made when 80's guitarists considered Gibson's timeless designs, like the LP, to be out of touch (when it was actually those guitarists who were out of touch). The same thing happened to Fender to an extent as well. That was probably the last time when an average player could get a real nice vintage piece for an affordable price......Because all of the expensive guitars were Jacksons and Kramers!

Some of the ideas from back then were pretty neat though. The Corvus is both can opener AND guitar at the same time ;).[

The Fender of the day was stupid though.  They should have made out like bandits in the 80s, but they waited too long before trying to get in on the action.  They should have gone humbucker + Floyd Rose WAY earlier, and they should have backed a dump truck, filled with money, into EVH's driveway.

Now they've got Charvel/Jackson + EVH, and it will add a different market share and, in the case of EVH, boost their sales, but they should have done that shit when he was a REALLY hot property.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: December 17, 2005, 02:24:46 AM

Also Susan Tedeschi, she's a total badass.

No Derek Trucks love?  He is amazing.  I love Warren Haynes, but whenever I watch that newest ABB DVD, I scream at the screen, "JUST STFU AND LET TRUCKS SOLO!" everytime Warren takes a solo.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: December 17, 2005, 11:52:03 AM

Bought myself a Yamaha RGX121Z in sliver, a Guitarport (which is great) and various assorted accessories and am happy so far :)

My friend got the Ibanez S520EX and will be putting in some EMG pickups, i get the ones in the S if they fit, and my brother took back an ESP he bought last week that turned out to be slightly damaged and upgraded to the Ibanez JEM7V.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: December 17, 2005, 05:31:27 PM

Nice bass Mr. N.  As for the 5 string bit, I always figured that if I wanted more than 4 strings I'd play guitar.  I'm still banging away on my 1970's Fender Jazz 4 string and can't imagine going to 5.  The neck width alone makes me cry.

Thanks, Neb and Sky.  :) 

As for the 5-string thing, I just like the extra bit of range that they offer, though I prefer narrower neck widths in general (I started with an Iby Soundgear).  The EDA905 5-string, and to a lesser extent, my Peavey bass, have fairly narrow string spacing, so it's tolerable still - I've fiddled around with some others (Warwick 5-strings in particular) that always make me feel like I'm trying to play an aircraft carier, even with fairly long hands.

I picked this bass on eBay for dirt cheap last week and have been using it to see if I could harness some new sounds.  It's an inexpensive bass, but put together relatively well for the cost.  If I like the sound and feel of the open body, I'll likely pick up a vintage Vox teardrop or a Gibson from the late 60's.  Now I just need to find a good guitar and I can stop buying instruments for a while... I need an excuse to build myself a new cabinet!

Damn, I like those Iby semi-hollows.  They've got both that and the doublecut version of it at the local shop, and I can't resist picking 'em up and doodling away for a little every time I visit.  Right now, I'm kinda hankering for a short-scale (mmm... Mustang bass reissue)  for some reason though, and am running out of space for all my instruments as it is. 

Gah.  So much gear, so little time.

Bought myself a Yamaha RGX121Z in sliver, a Guitarport (which is great) and various assorted accessories and am happy so far :)

My friend got the Ibanez S520EX and will be putting in some EMG pickups, i get the ones in the S if they fit, and my brother took back an ESP he bought last week that turned out to be slightly damaged and upgraded to the Ibanez JEM7V.

Awesome -- the two or three other Yamahas I've picked around on have been nice playing axes, and the pickup swap shouldn't be a problem.  I've been really curious about the GuitarPort, but have had decent (nothing pro-quality, but it's tolerable) results simply feeding a multi-FX directly to my soundcard for recording.  I hope you dig it and keep at it -- even though I'll probably never play for anyone but myself, I get a lot of pleasure from it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: December 19, 2005, 07:12:05 AM

No Derek Trucks love?  He is amazing.  I love Warren Haynes, but whenever I watch that newest ABB DVD, I scream at the screen, "JUST STFU AND LET TRUCKS SOLO!" everytime Warren takes a solo.
Trucks is great. We saw him with ABB in September and with his band in November. I prefer him with ABB way more, because of the interplay with Haynes and because his solo stuff is jazzier, and I barely like jazz. Both were great performances, though. I totally disagree with you about Haynes, he's an incredible guitarist and singer, too. It's one of the reasons ABB shows are so great, everyone on the stage (including the Juke Horns w/La Bamba) just kills. You can focus in on anything on stage and it's better than many bands entire output. We got the Instant Live cds (3) of the show, they hold up to the vintage ABB stuff I've got (Atlanta Pop and Fillmore). But...they've got a DVD with the new lineup? Woohoo!

After the holidays, I'm thinking of getting one of these. I need something for ideas, and I don't like using the mouse to move sliders :P
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 16, 2006, 07:50:15 AM

Prompted by a joke in the Useless Video thread, I remembered my camera has video capability. So I made a crappy improv video just to see how it'd turn out. Here it is, fuckups and all (removed video link, took it down due to MB), I'm just jamming off the cuff to test the idea. Figured it might be passingly interesting to someone, at the least you can see my nice SG :P Well, kinda.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 07:49:19 AM by Sky »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 16, 2006, 11:00:29 PM

You cut your head off.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 17, 2006, 06:41:58 AM

You cut your head off.

Hey... guitar players want to see guitar and the hands playing it :)

Nice one Sky. I enjoyed watching it. I like SGs
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: February 17, 2006, 07:34:08 AM

Guitar players have heads?

<Nice improv Sky.  You're going to make me want an SG damn you!>

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #229 on: February 17, 2006, 07:54:36 AM

So my two cents.  And I have not read the full thread.  :)

Haven't posted since I haven't played seriously in a while.  Regardless...

My goal in 1994 was a Gibson _anything_.  Through great karma I got my hands in 1995 on a Gibsons ES-335 to supplement my hopelessly thick and high-action acoustic Fender FGx.  I played a lot of pop, some funk with it, wee jazz.  Had a "guitar computer" second hand for a while that allowed me to change to strat, etc.  Also had a lovely twin-chorus amp which was a jazz delight.   When I say "jazz" you must know I mean "standards" and BS, nothing original or interesting.

Ultimately, what I find myself pining for these days is a really really nice (American made) Strat AND one of these ... GODIN .  I first encountered the Godin guitars (from Quebec no less) in a music shop in Belgium.  They are fascinating guitars.  One day, when I'm as rich as Raph I too shall have n+1 amazing guitars.  /dream

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 17, 2006, 08:30:32 AM

The thing about guitars...they make a great investment if you buy quality. I'll have my SG on my deathbed, after going through another 18 pcs or so (assuming I die in my mid70s), a few more hdtvs and projectors and cars and maybe even houses.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: February 17, 2006, 10:07:29 AM

If you like the Godin guitars but are looking for a non-classical for flat or fingerpicking, this isn't a bad alternative.  As a resonant guitar for onstage or recording, Tacoma makes a very decent guitar for the money.  Think of it as a budget alternative for the non-nylon crowd.

I actually own a Tacoma acoustic and bought it to ease my urge to own a Martin. I'm very pleased with the quality and sound of the instrument for the price.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:20:49 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #232 on: April 20, 2006, 05:11:24 AM

Thought it'd be cool to post some guitar vids

Otis Rush (gotta love that crowd)

If you didn't know, he played upside down (Low E on the Bottom, High E on Top).

Jeff Beck - Brush with the Blues (aka How to really use a vibrato bar...And a guitar for that matter)

And just for a laugh: Sun Ra

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 20, 2006, 05:25:08 AM

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=guitars+suck

3 vids showing clips of guitarists doing tricks and other virtuoso type stuff. Bumblefoot, Rusty Cooley,  Shawn Lane, Jimi, Buckethead,  Satch, Vai, the usual lot. The original is the best one i think, although theres some cool accoustic stuff on No. 3.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: April 20, 2006, 07:48:13 AM

Oh man, I loves me some Otis Rush. There's the real deal. Almost all I listen to these days are the old-timers. Nice little arpeggios in there, so much feeling. I wish I could slow down and phrase more like that, I always end up playing more like Johnny Winter... And man, can that cat SWEAT!

Jeff Beck is a great guitarist, but his performances somehow are always lacking, imo. I guess I'm just a bit too into traditional blues? I dunno, I definitely like his playing, but not his style, or something. I'm not a fan of the whammy bar or tapping. He's also kind of a dick.

Guitars Suck 3...the 12-string stuff was decent. The rest of it was pretty much shitty masturbation. Great technique, shitty music. Exhibit A in why I hate drum machines, at the very least. Reminds me of when I was 16 and too young to know any better.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: April 20, 2006, 11:03:18 AM

My background is drum and bass/hard techno music, as with the musician friends I know (heh, we end up playing highly repetative, very heavy rhythm without even realising it when jamming but im gradually slowing my head down to some different timings). All that tech and drum machine business sounds pretty good when done right and with the appropiate kit, virtual drummers have come a long way since an 808. The Guitars Suck vids are admittedly a complete wankfest though, and theres a couple of examples of why shredding a million notes a minute is pointless if none of the million notes actually go together, but I love that shit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: April 20, 2006, 11:31:16 AM

Bah computerized drums. I used them extensively in the studio and in college (I was a studio engineering dual majored with improvisational performance). But it's a matter of taste, when I was younger I dug it and electronica (which wasn't electronica then...). I used to use very early generation digital gear and echo boxes to create what can be done real easy with modern effects. It was fun stuff, but almost totally lacking in emotion.

Now I have my own (cheap, crappy) drum kit and I'm dying to buy a house so I can set them up and record rhythym tracks to play over.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: April 20, 2006, 01:29:25 PM

My friend uses the Steinberg Virtual Instrument plugins for the backing tracks, mainly the bassist and drummer. They are huge sample librarys basically (50gb install or something), although as he's a sound engie/musician type he can actually combine the digital recording/logic pro/instrument plugins and real instrument into something workable and actually has the ability to lay down something structured enough to play over. There's way too much of a learning curve for me to use unfortunatly.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #238 on: April 20, 2006, 05:17:10 PM

Hillybilly Yngwie

Sister Rossetta Sharpe rocking gospel on a White SG

More upside down crazyness. This time from Albert King
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #239 on: April 20, 2006, 09:18:34 PM

Jeff Beck is a great guitarist, but his performances somehow are always lacking, imo. I guess I'm just a bit too into traditional blues? I dunno, I definitely like his playing, but not his style, or something. I'm not a fan of the whammy bar or tapping. He's also kind of a dick.

I understand, I think. I think it's a matter of his songwriting style, and not necessarily his playing?

Anyways, it's not like I'm a big fan or anything, but I still dig the guy if only because he's so innovative when it comes to technique. Nobody really sounded like that or got those kind of noises out of an electric guitar until he came along.

He might be better off if he didn't even try to resemble blues or rock at all though...Like in this clip: Link

The other cool thing about him is that he's probably the only person in the world who's maintained a Ziggy Stardust haircut for 30 years.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:34:44 PM by Stray »
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: April 26, 2006, 11:27:27 AM

Just saw this at Gizmodo.  Quite possibly the coolest thing for guitar I've seen in a long time.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #241 on: April 26, 2006, 03:09:36 PM

Pretty cool. Not that expensive either ($40).
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: April 26, 2006, 03:14:02 PM

Just saw this at Gizmodo.  Quite possibly the coolest thing for guitar I've seen in a long time.

That's very cool.  It reminds me that I need to record more... except that recording always reminds me of those little bad habits that I can so easily hide with effects pedals.

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: April 28, 2006, 06:50:29 AM

That looks cool. I've been shopping for a HD recorder for a while, though, because I tend to lose ideas in the time it takes my pc to boot up and run a cable to it  undecided Also, mouse != faders, I hate the mouse interface for recording.

I've learned HD recorders are a gaggle of compromise. Either it's too feature-limited or it's a total goddamned studio.

At the least I want four simultaneous mic/line inputs (for drums, snare/bass/2 ambient), the ability to upload discreet tracks to the pc (cheap models export the whole bundle), decent onboard faders, aux for punch-ins, stuff I thought was pretty basic, heh.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #244 on: April 28, 2006, 06:56:18 AM

Believe it or not, a Roland drum sample disc and a sampler are a pretty good alternative. The disc I have has about 30 different kits on it (which you can mix and match, etc.). You'd be missing actual drumming dynamics, of course, but it's still a lot more realistic than the average drum machine.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: