Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: So. Raging Douchebag Week is Upon Us. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. Raging Douchebag Week is Upon Us.  (Read 117655 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #210 on: May 30, 2005, 08:33:28 AM

Since everyone is going on about what each other looks like, I may as well post this link: http://www.thefirsturl.com/index2.php

It originated on "the other site" but there is some crossover of membership, obviously, so I though some of the newer folks here might be interested.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #211 on: May 30, 2005, 11:51:52 AM

I stealthily hid a picture of myself in one of my E3 writeups.  Bwaha!  But a more flattering picture of me is here.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #212 on: May 30, 2005, 01:32:38 PM

You seem to be a giant.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #213 on: May 30, 2005, 01:44:22 PM

That's not an illusion.  Why, I ate a small village today for breakfast.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #214 on: May 30, 2005, 01:52:01 PM

Oh... and Happy Mullet Week.  At least some of us seem to be paying it proper respect.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #215 on: May 30, 2005, 04:56:58 PM

Meh.
schild
Administrator

Reply #216 on: May 30, 2005, 05:12:39 PM

For a short time in the 80's, Vin Diesel enjoyed famed as singers Chris DeBurg and Bonnie Tyler. The amazing part was that he appeared as both singers at the 1986 Grammy Awards at the same time.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #217 on: May 30, 2005, 05:18:28 PM

Happy Mullet Week.

From Mississippi.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
schild
Administrator

Reply #218 on: May 30, 2005, 05:21:29 PM

Way to resize there, chief.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: May 30, 2005, 05:24:22 PM

Thanks. I go to the Schild school of resizing.

schild
Administrator

Reply #220 on: May 30, 2005, 05:29:16 PM

Thanks. I go to the Schild school of resizing.

I told you paying your tuition late would result in you not finishing your training. Edit -> Transform -> Scale. That'll be $57.43.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: May 30, 2005, 05:35:40 PM

Or...

Image > Image Size > ?Pixel

Consider it a trade off.

schild
Administrator

Reply #222 on: June 04, 2005, 01:13:23 AM

That's the scenario presented by C|Net editorialist David Carnoy. He argues that the price of a new console versus the price of a PC gaming rig will have gamers migrating their gaming habits to the couch and using the extra dough on items such as an HDTV. Even if they're only upgrading the video card, a $300-$400 console sounds better than a $400-$500 cutting-edge video card.

The bottom line is that console manufacturers often heavily subsidize their new machines, swallowing huge losses up front in hopes that they'll make it all back selling games. (Unlike PC games, the console manufacturers get a royalty for each game sold on their respective systems.) Other things being equal, the DIY-heavy PC-gaming industry can't hope to compete in that kind of market.
So with PC game sales either declining or remaining stagnant over the past few years and the fact that big-name titles are also landing on a console (Quake 4, Prey, Alan Wake, UT2K7), do you believe PC gaming is going the way of the arcade, losing its business to the consoles?

C|Net is only a month behind us. Corporate press is a delayed feedback industry all to itself. The C|Net logo is now a douchebag unto itself.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #223 on: June 04, 2005, 02:30:01 PM

The bottom line is that console manufacturers often heavily subsidize their new machines, swallowing huge losses up front in hopes that they'll make it all back selling games.

Why does everyone think this? This is not some industry standard, but rather a new practice comingled with an  old myth

In our current generation there is good reason to believe that only MS subsided their console significantly.  Nintendo, with its lower quality hardware and steady profits is probably making a small profit on each console sold.  Ever mysterious Sony is iffy, but given the initial chip shortages and the consistent positive earnings for their game division since, oh, 97 or so, I'd wage they are at least breaking even.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #224 on: June 06, 2005, 08:19:55 AM

That's the scenario presented by C|Net editorialist David Carnoy. He argues that the price of a new console versus the price of a PC gaming rig will have gamers migrating their gaming habits to the couch and using the extra dough on items such as an HDTV. Even if they're only upgrading the video card, a $300-$400 console sounds better than a $400-$500 cutting-edge video card.

The bottom line is that console manufacturers often heavily subsidize their new machines, swallowing huge losses up front in hopes that they'll make it all back selling games. (Unlike PC games, the console manufacturers get a royalty for each game sold on their respective systems.) Other things being equal, the DIY-heavy PC-gaming industry can't hope to compete in that kind of market.
So with PC game sales either declining or remaining stagnant over the past few years and the fact that big-name titles are also landing on a console (Quake 4, Prey, Alan Wake, UT2K7), do you believe PC gaming is going the way of the arcade, losing its business to the consoles?

C|Net is only a month behind us. Corporate press is a delayed feedback industry all to itself. The C|Net logo is now a douchebag unto itself.

A month hell. I've been saying this for at least a year if not more. The writing is on the wall, and that wall is in the local EB, which doesn't so much carry PC games anymore as it does humor them by a modicum of inclusion.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: June 06, 2005, 03:23:34 PM

In our current generation there is good reason to believe that only MS subsided their console significantly.  Nintendo, with its lower quality hardware and steady profits is probably making a small profit on each console sold.  Ever mysterious Sony is iffy, but given the initial chip shortages and the consistent positive earnings for their game division since, oh, 97 or so, I'd wage they are at least breaking even.

I'm fairly certain Sony lost money on both the PS1 and PS2 initially, because the systems are not put together very well and are difficult to manufacture. MS lost boatloads of money on the XBox though.

IIRC the trend is towards more people owning fewer games each, so loss-leading makes less and less sense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #226 on: June 07, 2005, 02:36:20 AM

I'm fairly certain Sony lost money on both the PS1 and PS2 initially, because the systems are not put together very well and are difficult to manufacture. MS lost boatloads of money on the XBox though.

IIRC the trend is towards more people owning fewer games each, so loss-leading makes less and less sense.

This is news to me, but it makes sense given the rest of the industry and the growth of rental companies.  Can you cite a source? 

I wonder if there is any relation to game price as well...

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '05  |  Topic: So. Raging Douchebag Week is Upon Us.  
Jump to: