Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: The First Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Day  (Read 34842 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: April 28, 2005, 08:35:53 AM

So I got up early to play before work, it was pretty slick and running good.  The load times were pretty short, which was a fear I had given all dynamic stuff.  The real test will be primetime.

Too bad many of you have already moved on, but I guess that's the danger of long betas.

Whats a good minor for necro?

"Me am play gods"
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 08:44:30 AM

So I loaded up the game yesterday and was as completely underwhelmed as I was a couple months ago. The game seems lifeless and dull. I have a feeling beta weekends did more to harm the game than help it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 08:49:43 AM

I played a bit, and will probably go buy my and my wife's pre-orders tonight.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:15:44 AM

In fact I am sending you out to do just that.

You have your orders!

s i r

lol

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:25:23 AM

I'll be ready to crack some skulls when I get home at ~3:30pm EST.

Also, a Mesmer might be a good secondary for Necro, with the mana taps and such.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Xilren's Twin

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 09:37:30 AM

Going to pick my copy up at lunch.  Did the guild stay intact or we starting from ground zero again (which would be my guess)?

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 09:39:27 AM

I'm thinking ground zero, but I didn't check. I only got to level 2.

WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 09:54:01 AM

Looks like I am going to be late on this one too. Can't get myself fired up about it at all. I am sure you will all rave about it, seduce me into buying it, then quit en masse the day I get it installed.

Not that I am bitter.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 09:56:32 AM

I was and am fired up, however the usual suspects have prevented my login.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 10:02:20 AM

I played a bit last night.

I thought I found some fun.

It was a hill.

I logged out.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 10:17:36 AM

I got my discs in the mail on Monday, spent an hour fiddling with the installer (disc 2 hates my DVD drive, apparently). Played for a couple hours with some friends last night and had an OK time trying to get oriented and figure out how stuff works. Formed a guild (House of Spite). Managed to get out of the newb zone towards the end of the evening and went out into the first part of the "real world". Was summarily owned by two enemies half my level on the city's doorstep. Went to bed.

I'm having serious Diablo flashbacks from the little labels that appear when there's takeable loot. Other than that, it seems to be a fair blend of the standard MMO/Diku formula with the Diablo/Action-RPG formula; probably will be fun to play with a group of friends, but I expect it'd break down if you tried to solo or randomly group.

Edit: Forgot to note that there was definitely some lag when I was playing; not much when I started (7 PM PDT) but it seemed to increase as the evening went on. Probably because the server opened to the idiot brigade rest of the world around when I logged off.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 10:20:39 AM by Yoru »
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 10:34:36 AM

I played some yesterday. Had two big lag spikes which lasted for 30-60 seconds and then finally a disconnect at which point I switched over to Planetside. Made it to level 3. "Krakrok" seems to be a banned name now though my beta characters still have the name. The quests show exactly where to go on the map so you don't even have to read the text of them. You don't get to choose your second profession until later. I'm not sure you even have to take a second profession though. Seems optional.

Beta account seems to work fine. Gamestop hasn't bothered to ship my copy yet.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 10:52:38 AM

Gamestop didn't send mine, either.  Turns out the credit card I used expired between my order date and now, so I gave them the new expire date over the phone and voila, it's now in transit.

I played before you needed the preorder to play, and really enjoyed it.

Played yesterday and had fun, but it wasn't quite as much fun.  They slowed down the levelling, but then I didn't play from level 1 the last time.

So I meandered around and got to level 6 questing and so on, and then got my ass handed to me in the pvp portion when I moved from pre-Searing Ascalon or whatever it's called.  I suck as a warrior in pvp.

Planning on trying an elementalist now - what's a good minor for the wtfpwn elementalist I'd like to be (but due to a lack of skill and fumbly-fingers, never will be)?

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 11:27:10 AM

I got to level 3 yesterday and while looking through the art book I passed out from lack of sleep and working too much. Going to play like crazy today. Ezuret in game if anyone wants to shoot me a message. I'm an Ele. What compliments an elementalist?
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 01:41:53 PM

Got the level 5 in three hours.  Having lots of fun on my ele just running around exploring things.  The art is goregeous in sort of an real-but-exaggerated sort of way.  My guess is that GW, at least for me, will be like D2 - pick up and play start to finish once every 8-10 mo., spiced with some multi play.

Also: Anyone else do the Prized Moa quest in the Cats yet? The end to it was friggin awesome.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 01:54:05 PM

Z-axis seems sorta gimped after CoH; invisible wall are teh suck.

"Me am play gods"
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 01:57:02 PM

After COH I find it really hard to forgive crappy z axis implementation.

kaid
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 02:11:13 PM

Z-axis seems sorta gimped after CoH; invisible wall are teh suck.

Gotta agree here. I was firing off arrows and stuff at a bear in Regent Valley last night, with the little flute girl following me around. The ledge I was shooting off of was maybe 1 foot off the second level, but there was one of those invisible walls there. After killing the bear (and he drops the quest item I need), I turn around and discover the damned little girl is blocking the path out.

Unfortunately, there's no "move the hell out of my way you little twit" key, nor could I incinerate her and step over the corpse. And, naturally, a one-foot drop down a cliff might bruise my ankles, so I couldn't jump down the other way.

Sigh, teleport back to Ascalon, walk all the way back (sans little girl this time), kill fifteen bears before getting the damn item again. :(
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 02:37:37 PM

I didn't pre-order and didn't see any copies locally anywhere.

However, high marks to NCSoft. I was able to simply buy a keycode online and the download was quite quick.

Not bad IMHO
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 03:08:35 PM

Bought the collector's edition.

Worth it just for the art book.

I have no time and will now play.

- A broken haiku, by schild.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 03:18:53 PM

Okay NOW you are going to play?

P.S... Who is starting the Bat Country guild?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 03:21:30 PM by SuperPopTart »

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 03:28:24 PM

After the abortion that was the guild cape in the last one, I guess I can start it, I'm gonna play all afternoon and night once I get this shit done. Anything I need to know can be sent to me in game, where my name will probably be "Autoleveler Schild."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 03:33:16 PM

After the abortion that was the guild cape in the last one, I guess I can start it, I'm gonna play all afternoon and night once I get this shit done. Anything I need to know can be sent to me in game, where my name will probably be "Autoleveler Schild."

Hey, you don't ask color blind (red/green) people to make guild standards and expect anything good to come out of it.

As for the game, heh, I think I'll ask my wife if it's cool that I pick up my pre-order.  If not, I can always blame her for not picking up a game I've lost total interest in.  Just can't think of anything to shift my preorder to.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 03:34:34 PM

I'm sure this game can only get better. I think. Goddamn, I hope.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 04:34:00 PM

You people don't have to play the game.  Just come dance with me and PopTart!  We need at least 15 necros to form a pyramid to  do the Thriller dance.

Need a director and a cameraman, too.

I'll bring refreshments.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 04:35:13 PM

Okay my name in game is: The Lady Valarian

Find me or die. Or at least no dancing. Signeeeee! Hugs.

WayAbvPar

Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 04:38:15 PM

I'll get John Landis on the phone.

And send over a host of prepubescent boys for the head undead.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 08:36:04 PM

Forgot to mention: my In game name is Bael Bloodfire

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 08:36:28 PM

Played a bit today, got to level 7. The guild I had made in beta was still intact, sans cape.

No cape makes me a sad panda.

Having the cape cost 2,000 gold makes me weep.

Also, realising it may be some time before I can properly make my build work (illusionary weaponry) is somewhat discomforting. I'm not eager to spend points on a weapon type and have to blow refund points.

The character I am playing is a Me/W named Veronica Zemanova.

Yes...I went there.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 10:32:47 PM

Yay for me. I think I can resist this one.

Now, let's see how long this can last....
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 10:45:07 PM

So I'd not played long enough to see the game transition from pre to post-searing Ascalon. And I have to say.

That's Really. Fucking. Cool.

Now I'm getting into this shit.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 11:28:09 PM

Motherfucker.

(Not you schild)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 11:28:26 PM

So I'd not played long enough to see the game transition from pre to post-searing Ascalon. And I have to say.

Let the rest of us know.
Monika T'Sarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 12:29:23 AM

I liked this part a lot - newbie levels with a really motivating twist at the end. Totally surprised me as well. First time I think a mmorpg needs spoiler protection !

Imagine playing WoW in this way as a human newbie in darrowshire, an orc in an internment camp, a tauren on the run. Its really sad that we have to get our motivation and lore from a website instead. Show, not tell.

I suppose a matrix mmorpg done this way would be the best game ever - of course you'd have to sell it as a totally different game to make it work.

I love the henchman, to. You can learn about your skills and party play without bothering others.

Monika T'Sarn
The Combine
www.the-combine.net
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 06:10:15 AM

Yay for me. I think I can resist this one.

Now, let's see how long this can last....

Me too.

Must.....  resist.....

If Schild likes it though... it's just like the Life cereal commercials.

"HE LIKES IT... HE LIKES IT!!"

Witty banter not included.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: The First Day  
Jump to: