Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dune!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dune!!  (Read 33339 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #105 on: September 06, 2021, 12:10:55 AM

Please don't flop. Please don't flop.

(fully expecting it to flop)

This is getting released on HBO Max at the same time as theatres.  The Suicide Squad didn't perform well under similar circumstances...sadly, I don't have high hopes.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #106 on: September 06, 2021, 09:09:57 AM

As I mentioned on Discord, my main takeaway from these reviews is to really go in expecting "Dune: Part 1" and with the understanding that "Dune: Part 2" not currently in production or even greenlit yet.

From Rotten Tomatoes.

DOES IT FEEL UNFINISHED?
“The film is ultimately a long and overwrought prologue — a prelude to action rather than its own autonomous story.” – Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair

“The real meal doesn’t really begin until Part Two, and that’s probably one of the minor disappointments of its inconclusive finale.” – Rodrigo Perez, The Playlist

“It does wind up feeling incomplete… like the serving of a decadent and delicious appetizer that comes out while the epic entrée to come is still braising in the kitchen.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“It feels so completely sure of itself and so legitimately stunning, that it’s a huge shame that the next chapter is in fact subject to the whims of the marketplace… Surely, there has to be more.” – Catherine Bray, Film of the Week

“To be left dangling without Dune: Part Two would be a particular heartbreak. Here’s hoping we won’t only be seeing it in our dreams.” – Ben Travis, Empire Magazine

IS IT DIFFICULT TO ASSESS THIS FIRST CHAPTER ON ITS OWN?
“It will require reassessment when the rest of the director’s vision is revealed – and if there is a movie god, we’ll see that happen sooner rather than later.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“What could happen in the future isn’t something you can think about when critiquing a movie though. There’s this movie, this story, and if it doesn’t work on its own, that would problem. It’s not a problem here.” – Germain Lussier, io9.com

“If what you love most about Marvel is the quips, you might not like Dune very much…it is deadly serious…a relief I hadn’t realized I needed.” – Catherine Bray, Film of the Week

I'm sold. This movie is for me.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #107 on: September 06, 2021, 09:20:54 AM

Please don't flop. Please don't flop.

(fully expecting it to flop)

This is getting released on HBO Max at the same time as theatres.  The Suicide Squad didn't perform well under similar circumstances...sadly, I don't have high hopes.

It didn't "perform well" by the metric of box office numbers alone -- but the studio obviously knows that releasing on HBO is going to cut into the box office, and they must have done some math that shows that they come out ahead financially regardless.  Hard to tell whether their math was right since as far as I can tell they don't report how much money they made on streams the same way they report the box office take.

Point being, if Dune has "disappointing" box office numbers due to the streaming release, that doesn't necessarily imply that it lost the studio money or that they won't make another one.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 06, 2021, 10:01:07 AM

I hate going to see movies in the theater and giving the big studios money. I have a stupidly nice TV and already have an HBO Max sub so I will be watching this at home. Especially because I don't want to be in a room for 2.5 hours with a bunch of covidiots.

But I am thinking I might buy a ticket online for the movie and then not go to the theater :D

Or maybe I will do the whole "rent a theater" thing with a small group of friends if this is available for that kind of showing.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 22, 2021, 03:05:29 PM

God damnit if you are going to release a movie without ending you better be filming the sequels all at the same time, this bullshit is lame.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: October 23, 2021, 12:14:33 AM

God damnit if you are going to release a movie without ending you better be filming the sequels all at the same time, this bullshit is lame.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised they didn't do the "filmed both movies at the same time" thing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #111 on: October 23, 2021, 01:16:57 AM

“If what you love most about Marvel is the quips, you might not like Dune very much…it is deadly serious…a relief I hadn’t realized I needed.”

this movie is too dry for my tastes bam gottem with the Arrakis joke
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 25, 2021, 09:23:47 AM

It's good. They had better fucking make Part II.

I think it oddly enough moves a bit too quickly and actually needs one or two bits of additional exposition. The place where you can see this problem  I think Villeneuve was so worried about someone saying that it had a problem with being too slow, talking and languid that he moved too hard in the other direction (though with a lot of very beautifully shot exteriors and interiors).

But it's good.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #113 on: October 25, 2021, 02:26:56 PM

The wife fell asleep about a third of the way through, thought it was too slow. I liked it, but I can see her point. And the fact that it took as long as the Lynch film did just to get Paul and Jessica jumped in to the Fremen doesn't help with that perception.

Overall, I really liked it. The visuals were stunning and the action, where it did happen hit the right chords. Especially the Duncan Idaho/Sardaukar fight.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #114 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:44 PM

The cinematography and costume design were simply stunning.

But agreed: now I have to wait fucking two years for part 2, which hasn't even been approved yet?

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #115 on: October 26, 2021, 12:23:57 AM

But agreed: now I have to wait fucking two years for part 2, which hasn't even been approved yet?
In a post-covid environment where box office is shit, and streaming isn't making up for it :( Hope it happens regardless.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #116 on: October 26, 2021, 06:20:09 AM

In a post-covid environment where box office is shit, and streaming isn't making up for it :( Hope it happens regardless.

I wanted to go see this at my local Drafthouse, and tickets were sold out for weeks, including weekday matinees.  This is with reduced capacity mind you, and it's just one theater, but there seems to be some level of enthusiasm.  I've also seen a few people saying that they subbed to HBO Max specifically to watch Dune, and I'm pretty sure stuff like that gets factored into the decision to make another one even if it's not part of the standard box office numbers.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #117 on: October 26, 2021, 07:07:07 AM

The theater I saw it in last weekend was practically empty, but I read that the streaming numbers were exceptional and there's some movement on greenlighting the sequel now.  There's hope!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #118 on: October 26, 2021, 11:32:02 AM

HBO got a sub out of me for it at least.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #119 on: October 26, 2021, 11:55:54 AM

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: October 26, 2021, 01:13:27 PM

The theater I saw it in last weekend was practically empty, but I read that the streaming numbers were exceptional and there's some movement on greenlighting the sequel now.  There's hope!
We're back to full capacity at the 16 theater multiplex I work at, and demand has been, well, interesting.   Regular screens (we have 2) and 3D (1) have been moderate to low for attendance, but our IMAX (non 3D unfortunately) is doing really well.

Leads me to believe that most of the people coming to watch this are people who are likely fans of some form, and REALLY want to get the full visual experience for it, even if that means paying the premium for IMAX image quality.  Either that or they know that our IMAX content tends to only last about 2 weeks before something new pushes it out, so FOMO is pushing them to hit the IMAX early.  

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 28, 2021, 05:10:54 AM

I really loved this.

The look and feel of the movie were amazing. Tone and pacing were great too. I didn't think it was too slow either but I get why people would say it. When it felt slow, it was so damn amazing to just look at that I didn't mind taking a few seconds and smell the roses of the scenery.

I haven't read the books in two decades so I don't remember the details of the story but it hit all the high notes for me.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #122 on: October 28, 2021, 11:18:09 AM

My entire family loved this. My wife, who really isn't into scifi stuff, and my son, who found the book to be a little too dense (he's 12), both had a great time watching this and adored the visuals. I thought it was great and if the sequel didn't end up getting greenlit, it would have been right up there with Firefly getting cancelled in terms of disappointment. Watched it twice already, and might go see it in theatres as well, provided it's still there when I get some time off.

From their reactions, another big part of the appeal was the originality and the fact that it wasn't another Disney-fied IP. 

-Rasix
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 28, 2021, 11:16:13 PM

Oddly enough, some of it actually seemed rushed to me.  Especially the lack of much sense of time passing between them arriving on Arakis and the Harkonnen assualt.  Really leaves the impression that they were barely there for like, a week or so, before everything came apart.

Also makes me wonder why Villeneuve didn't include the political / social party scene that takes place shortly after they arrive.  Would have been fairly easy to fit in, I would think, and would have been an amazingly easy way to do exposition on the politics, intrigue, fremen society, Dr Yueh, crazy importance of water and the like.   Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 29, 2021, 03:13:05 AM

I absolutely loved it. But I did think that if someone hadn't read the book or at least seen the David Lynch version then they'd be pretty baffled by a lot of what was going on.

But then I don't really care about those sorts of people, so that's OK.

Edit: visually it was astonishing, and the scale of the navigator ships was incredible (and very well done by being hinted at and existing in their own shadow) but I thought that the convenient Fremen dude surfing past, hanging ten on his gnarly worm looked a teensy bit comical.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:14:43 AM by Endie »

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 29, 2021, 03:50:27 AM

Really leaves the impression that they were barely there for like, a week or so, before everything came apart.

When I read the book it gave me the same impression, to be honest.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #126 on: October 29, 2021, 07:16:10 AM

I absolutely loved it. But I did think that if someone hadn't read the book or at least seen the David Lynch version then they'd be pretty baffled by a lot of what was going on.

My wife had read the book so long ago that she didn't remember anything at all, and she's not a sci-fi person, and she was able to follow along fine.  For reference, we just went to see No Time To Die and she was constantly asking me questions about what was happening.

Dune, it's less complicated than James Bond?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #127 on: October 29, 2021, 07:23:22 AM

Good, can't call it great as there is no payoff but visually, atmosphere, music, all very cool. Casting all seemed on point.

Fingers crossed & covid-willing in 2 years I'll be re-watching Part I on IMAX right before part II comes out.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: October 29, 2021, 10:06:32 AM

In the book it's longer than a week, but it's not a long time--when Leto, Jessica and Paul arrive, some of the Atreides forces have been there for maybe a month? I don't think the book ever makes it 100% concrete but it's clearly no more than a month or two before the attack begins. Jessica's pregnancy sets the outer limits of time--she's not showing to anyone by the time she and Paul are taken in by Stilgar after they escape the attack, and she's pregnant by the time they arrive on Arrakis, so all within the first trimester.

The time frame from the end of this movie to the big conclusion of the novel (and presumably Part II of the film) is more concrete--about three, maybe four, years? I think Paul may even say as much, but there are a lot of other markers of the passage of time.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #129 on: October 29, 2021, 03:02:36 PM

He cut out a fair amount of weirdness so it will be interesting to see how he handles Alia.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #130 on: October 29, 2021, 09:07:12 PM

I thought the only part that felt really rushed was the fight with Jamis at the end, but I've only read the books once and it was years ago, so that may not be out of line with the book. I actually felt this version's handling of time passing between the Atreides arrival and the Harokken attack was better than the Lynch version, but both seemed to happen almost instantly.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 29, 2021, 10:52:08 PM

The fight with Jamis wasn't really rushed.  They just rolled it and the initial meeting with the fremen into one scene.  If I remember the book right, after the initial encounter they move off to a temporary refuge / cave shelter to set up temporary camp, which is where Jamis makes the challenge and the fight occurs.   They also altered it a little bit, because I am pretty sure that in the book, since they were in a "sealed" environment in the shelter, they stripped off the stillsuits and basically fought in loincloths or close to it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #132 on: October 30, 2021, 09:21:17 AM

That sounds more like what I was expecting - it's been so long since I read the books, I couldn't remember that scene. Kind of odd that it would be rushed like that, since the movie is already 2+ hours long, adding another minute of them trekking to a cave as exposition wouldn't have hurt. That was a very minor quibble though, in an otherwise pretty good adaptation. Chalomet did better as a young Paul to me than either Machlachlan or the actor they had in the SyFy series, because he really does look young. It helped make his growth into a more certain, leadership role towards the end more believable.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: October 30, 2021, 03:20:20 PM

The fight with Jamis wasn't really rushed.  They just rolled it and the initial meeting with the fremen into one scene.  If I remember the book right, after the initial encounter they move off to a temporary refuge / cave shelter to set up temporary camp, which is where Jamis makes the challenge and the fight occurs.   They also altered it a little bit, because I am pretty sure that in the book, since they were in a "sealed" environment in the shelter, they stripped off the stillsuits and basically fought in loincloths or close to it.

Jamis calls him out after they have settled into a cave shelter.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: October 30, 2021, 04:39:01 PM

Yeah, I have no problem with the challenge being immediate.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 02, 2021, 09:10:36 PM

It felt rushed to me, but it also felt like it was supposed to be rushed. It feels like chaos rushing in and you only realize what really happened when it's too late. A lot like the plot, really.

I loved it. I just wanted more.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 02, 2021, 10:04:00 PM

Jamis calls him out after they have settled into a cave shelter.
In the movie?  Nah.  Jamis calls out Jessica (or Stilgar depending on how you look at it) out literally the moment after they have "resolved" the initial encounter when Stilgar suggests they should get moving because dawn will be approaching soon.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: November 02, 2021, 10:21:14 PM

He's referring to the novel.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 03, 2021, 01:37:03 AM

He's referring to the novel.
Which was what I initially said.  Which is why I was trying to figure out what the context of his comment was.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 16, 2021, 02:46:51 PM

Did they cut Feyd Harkonnen?  No one will ever beat Stings "I WILL KILL HIM" but I don't recall anything in this version.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dune!!  
Jump to: