Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dune!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dune!!  (Read 33360 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: November 16, 2021, 10:31:04 PM

Did they cut Feyd Harkonnen?  No one will ever beat Stings "I WILL KILL HIM" but I don't recall anything in this version.
He was never presented, but considering that he wasn't really important until the second half of the book, I don't see why they wouldn't just directly introduce him in the second movie.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #141 on: November 16, 2021, 11:11:36 PM

Did they cut Feyd Harkonnen?  No one will ever beat Stings "I WILL KILL HIM" but I don't recall anything in this version.

He did not appear in this. From just finishing the books, you easily cut the character all together or just as easily bring him in. He would have had only a single scene here.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: November 17, 2021, 05:53:00 AM

He is pretty important from the story perspective as part of the Baron's plan as a "benevolent" alternative to the brutality of Rabban as well as the Bene Gesserit breeding thing. But this movie pretty much nixed most of the Baron's motivations and the breeding program thing probably isn't going to be important in with the way they re-worked Jessica's storyline already.

But they could easily introduce him in the second installment so he is present for the most important reason he exists: the duel at the end of the book that seals things onto the path.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: December 02, 2021, 03:50:59 AM

This was finally out here, so I watched it. Wasn't expecting much, but it started well and I got my hopes up. Sadly.

It's not bad, it's just a long way from being good.

The soundtrack and the tone are terrible. So boring and overused. So much stuff played for the single dramatic moment, rather than in service to connect everything together. The desaturation of the colours just bad. The CGI of Arrakeen is lame.

The casting, the general decisions the made with what to show and what to cut.. all actually excellent. Almost perfect. I thought I would hate the Idaho casting and it was actually pretty good. Jessica was a bit weak, but that was not the actor but the scenes and direction they gave her.

It's just a shame that they didn't take all that work and make a tighter movie with a bit more life and movement, and instead played it out like they thought every moment was going to give me an orgasm or something. Get rid of the repetitive noise and actually let the characters do some acting. You've picked the right bits, but you need to let them do work, not think just showing a still with a loud BRURRRNGG is going to get it done.

Ultimately I was bored. With about an hour to go and yet another loud drawn out soundtrack moment I was just over it and contemplated leaving.

A friend linked this review, and I agree with it pretty much: https://amp.smh.com.au/culture/movies/it-s-big-loud-and-full-of-action-but-dune-is-a-desert-of-mediocrity-20211201-p59drr.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:12:55 AM by lamaros »
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: December 03, 2021, 12:30:49 AM

There are criticisms of Dune to be made - some of them mentioned in this thread - but Zimmer's soundtrack is not one of them.

If you found the soundtrack repetitive and infuriating I'd just love to read your review of Dunkirk.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: December 03, 2021, 04:56:03 AM

Not seen Dunkirk, but complaints about the soundtrack for Dune aren't rare. Nor are people liking it rare. Eh, we don't agree, that's ok.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: December 03, 2021, 11:05:35 AM

I disagree with him on everything but the soundtrack. It was silly loud. I hear fine, I don't 6000 decibels blasted directly at my drums, thanks.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: December 03, 2021, 01:17:31 PM

I watched it at home, so the volume levels were just right for me  awesome, for real

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dune!!  
Jump to: