Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dune!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dune!!  (Read 33341 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

on: September 09, 2020, 09:48:50 AM

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:11:39 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:05:27 AM

Inappropriate use of Floyd. 10 yard penalty.

I'm much cooler to this than I was. I'm tired of Momoa, he's the same thing in everything he does. The Fremen and Rabban seem very well cast though. I dig Isaac for Leto, too.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:15:10 AM

I'm much cooler to this than I was. I'm tired of Momoa, he's the same thing in everything he does. The Fremen and Rabban seem very well cast though. I dig Isaac for Leto, too.

I....actually agree?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:28:43 AM

I don't have strong opinions on Dune. This looks fine, but it also seems like a lot to cram into one movie.

I also don't imagine myself going to a movie theatre in 2020. No thank you.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:29:07 AM

Hmmm.

Looked somewhat well done, though it is always hard to say from a trailer.

Though I must say, the gom jabbar looking like a fucking pen is a stupid design choice.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Though I must say, the gom jabbar looking like a fucking pen is a stupid design choice.

That and the loud sound effects when it went to Paul's throat. There are some silly decisions here.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 10:37:12 AM

Isn't it described as a needle?

Also, wasn't Floyd on tap to do a soundtrack for an earlier optioning of Dune?

I don't see any scenes past Paul being with Chani, I'm pretty sure this is part 1 of two films. Not quite sure where they'll break it. I would guess that the attack on the Atreides is the big set-piece of movie 1 with the aftermath being the falling action. Looks like quite a few scenes on Caladan to start.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 10:46:27 AM

Jodorowsky's Dune was exploring lots of prog rock groups, I think Floyd was one of the groups that was high on the list.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 11:03:52 AM

I don't see any scenes past Paul being with Chani, I'm pretty sure this is part 1 of two films. Not quite sure where they'll break it. I would guess that the attack on the Atreides is the big set-piece of movie 1 with the aftermath being the falling action. Looks like quite a few scenes on Caladan to start.
Yeah it is supposed to be two parts.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 11:14:39 AM

Looks fine. Villeneuve is worthy. Wish there was some Brian Eno in the score (may be).
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 11:35:34 AM

I don't have strong opinions on Dune. This looks fine, but it also seems like a lot to cram into one movie.

I also don't imagine myself going to a movie theatre in 2020. No thank you.

I heard that this movie is only the first half of the book.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 11:45:28 AM

I wonder how they will depict the Guild Navigators.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 01:54:55 PM

That trailer was desperate to cause the tinglies and failed miserably.  ANGST overload.  The movie may be better than the trailer, but that trailer was weak.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 01:58:22 PM

You jaded motherfuckers. That trailer was great and Denis Villeneuve is an amazing director. My only fear for this movie isn't the quality, it'll be outstanding. My worry is it'll make like $5 in the theaters and we won't get part 2.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 02:02:46 PM

It is described almost exactly the way it was shown in the David Lynch version. A tiny needle attached to a finger. Not a giant fucking fountain pen held in the hand.

To things the trailer shows "right", Paul and Chani are a lot closer to the age they should be compared to previous screen adaptations. They actually look like teenagers rather than 20-somethings.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:04:22 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 05:05:51 PM

I think it was pretty cool, at any rate.

The interesting thing is to take Paul and Chani from teenager to burnt-out prophet and queen mother in the time frame of 3-4 movies, if they get that far. But they can definitely take Paul and Chani from "tell me of your homeworld" to "I am the emperor of the galaxy" in two movies.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 06:39:40 PM

I dont think the Arrival and Blade Runner tone works for Dune, and I don't like the tone or colour palate of this trailer.

Its just a trailer. The movie might still be good. It won't be close to my Dune though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:54:17 PM by lamaros »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 07:12:22 PM

They have to pitch this to non-Dune fans, which they did.  I'm stoked as hell for this.

Fun fact, Paul/Chani actors from both this and Lynch's are basically the same age at the time of filming (24/25 ish). These two just look younger.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 07:11:49 AM

I didn't see anything in terms of color palette that you could imaginably say "Oh man that's not Dune". Like, what, not orange enough on Arrakis all the time? Caladan needs to be more blue? I actually think saving a much more orange palette for Arrakis for the deep desert that shows up in the second half is really smart (and also needed for the melange deposits).

One thing I realllllly liked was that they got the shields-and-knife-fighting perfectly right--the look of that was fantastic. I also liked the look of the Sardaukar (I assume that's them coming down on ropes).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 08:02:24 AM

It was just …. so … strained, grimdark, emo, and saccharine fake.  They may have lost the weight of the scenes in the trailers due to edits, but I felt like the guy cutting it thought that trailer was the best thing since Twilight. 

The whispered lines, the lingering glances, the emotionless faces, the silent screams... Replace the lead with Edward Cullen and it would be seamless.

And they do not have the message that big special effects like the sandworm are no longer the big thing... we get that for TV shows now.  if you do not have awesome special effects, you're under the bar.  If the big reveal of your trailer is that you can make a worm,

Maybe the actual film has more gravitas, but that was just a huge fail in my books. 

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 08:58:46 AM

Not enough Patrick Stewart.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 10:17:13 AM

Strained, grimdark and emo?

Have you read Dune? I mean, I love the book, but that's the mood throughout, man. It's gigantically pretentious (in the best way), there's ominous prophecy dripping from every scene, it's a teenager dreaming (accurately) that he will not only become ruler of an entire galaxy but is also a kind of genetic superbeing, it's a teenage prince from a water planet dreaming of a teenage desert nomad who will be his wife and love, it's a prince being trained to fight assassins while also being (secretly) trained in the hidden martial and mental arts of an ancient female priesthood. It's characters who speak in grandiose profundities even when they're basically just bodyguards or soldiers. There isn't a single rounded relatively ordinary human being anywhere in the entire story--even the fucking housekeeper is a spy who provides crucial intelligence to Paul and Jessica.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 10:23:40 AM

Dude, just take jgsugden's doomcasting as a ringing endorsement of its actual quality and move on.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 11:05:01 AM

Have you read Dune? I mean, I love the book, but that's the mood throughout, man. It's gigantically pretentious (in the best way), there's ominous prophecy dripping from every scene, it's a teenager dreaming (accurately) that he will not only become ruler of an entire galaxy but is also a kind of genetic superbeing, it's a teenage prince from a water planet dreaming of a teenage desert nomad who will be his wife and love, it's a prince being trained to fight assassins while also being (secretly) trained in the hidden martial and mental arts of an ancient female priesthood. It's characters who speak in grandiose profundities even when they're basically just bodyguards or soldiers. There isn't a single rounded relatively ordinary human being anywhere in the entire story--even the fucking housekeeper is a spy who provides crucial intelligence to Paul and Jessica.
There is a difference between grimdark and having stakes.
There is a difference between emo and emotional.
There is a difference between straining out that crap that rips you hole open, and letting the big boy slide out to release the pressure.

We'll see.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 11:11:56 AM

That looks pretty good.

I don't think I've read the books in 20 years.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 11:41:20 AM

There is a difference between grimdark and having stakes.
There is a difference between emo and emotional.
There is a difference between straining out that crap that rips you hole open, and letting the big boy slide out to release the pressure.

We'll see.

100% with Khaldun here the source material is dripping in grand melodramatic emo nonsense that its a wonder why the series wasn't being sold in 90s hot topic with Crow merchandise.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 11:56:45 AM

So you want your Twilight? Enjoy.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 11:58:27 AM

And they do not have the message that big special effects like the sandworm are no longer the big thing... we get that for TV shows now.  if you do not have awesome special effects, you're under the bar.  If the big reveal of your trailer is that you can make a worm,

Maybe the actual film has more gravitas, but that was just a huge fail in my books. 

That worm was for the fans. Come on man. Most fans were spending the whole trailer going "I need to see a sand worm!"

Anyway, I find your ranting about it hilarious. I didn't get any of that shit you did out of the trailer.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 12:09:06 PM

So you want your Twilight? Enjoy.

It's almost like you just want to remain willfully ignorant of the source material and its tone.

The trailer was fine - it even had some good moments, and the use of the Floyd song was great (but that's among some of my favorite Floyd music of all time, so I'm biased). My only criticism is that is seems a little too much like just a modern visual update of the 1984 movie, which again, is fine but less interesting than I hoped. However, it's Villaneuve, and his visual sense is just stunning, so I'll go with it. I may not have liked Blade Runner 2049 but it was aesthetically brilliant.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 12:20:20 PM

That worm was for the fans. Come on man. Most fans were spending the whole trailer going "I need to see a sand worm!"

Anyway, I find your ranting about it hilarious. I didn't get any of that shit you did out of the trailer.
Go watch it again. Drink every time you have whispered lines, lingering glances, stoic/emotionless faces, or silent screams.  Don't plan on driving anywhere soon.

Said my peace.  Enjoy.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 12:28:10 PM

Thanks for confirming you haven't read Dune.

This is a book where the main character repeats that litany in the trailer multiple times both aloud and in his own thoughts: I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Where people repeat grandiose scripture, prophecies, political formalisms, etc to one another instead of basic ordinary emotional relationships. Where a mother and son relate primarily more in political terms than they do emotional ones--in fact where they both know they must not simply appear like a mother and son.

Where many lines are whispered and conspiracies abound. Where literally--no joke--some people have been trained to communicate with one another simply through facial expressions. Where the training the main character has gone through is precisely to be able to be stoic or emotionless at need, and where many of the local people are equally deliberately impassive. Where the silent scream is literally on the fucking page: if Paul actually screams in that scene, he will not only die, he will bring his father's guards and very likely get his mother killed as well for having had him in the first place, something she wasn't supposed to do.

The movie may or may not be good, but every single thing you're upset by is a direct translation of page to screen. You're just saying that you don't like Dune. Which is fine, but don't blame the movie.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 12:52:18 PM

And they do not have the message that big special effects like the sandworm are no longer the big thing... we get that for TV shows now.  if you do not have awesome special effects, you're under the bar.  If the big reveal of your trailer is that you can make a worm,

Go watch it again. Drink every time you have whispered lines, lingering glances, stoic/emotionless faces, or silent screams.  Don't plan on driving anywhere soon.

Said my peace.  Enjoy.

Read the book. It would be one thing if your arguing that a retelling of the 1965 story should be modernize for 2020 sensibilities, its entirely different and quite frankly moronic thing to insist that the emo/grim dark tone of the trailer isn't 125% the franchise. A teenage boy talks about a unleashing a galactic genocide with the same emotion as someone ordering a mcflurry.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 01:03:06 PM

No, it’s grimmer than that.  He doesn’t want to unleash the genocide, he wants desperately to avoid it.  But circumstance continually hems him in until he finally accepts his role in the galactic jihad.  If he didn’t the jihad would become even worse.

I do agree with JGSugden that the trailer feels very by-the-book for this decade.  Yes, the source material justifies everything we see, but that doesn’t mean the end result of the editing process wasn’t a trailer full of cliches, up to and including a slow/sad pop/rock song.

I still think the movie looks awesome, though.  Too bad we’ll never get the second half.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 01:07:48 PM

It is described almost exactly the way it was shown in the David Lynch version. A tiny needle attached to a finger. Not a giant fucking fountain pen held in the hand.

To things the trailer shows "right", Paul and Chani are a lot closer to the age they should be compared to previous screen adaptations. They actually look like teenagers rather than 20-somethings.

I'm sure they could read that... Likely decided to make it bigger so it was properly visible in certain zoomed out shots they were going for in the scene.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 02:14:07 PM

That looks pretty good.

I don't think I've read the books in 20 years.
$54 for the kindle version box set. I think I am going to buy and read them again.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dune!!  
Jump to: