Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250942 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: May 27, 2021, 03:29:03 AM

So when everyone is on zoom calls it becomes a scramble to see who can show up the earliest and claim a room.  Sounds fun!

Every Zoom call takes the place of what would otherwise (pre-pandemic) have been a meeting in a conference room, so room availability should stay the same, at worst.  

My "private office" comment was suggesting that with the increased number of people who've gone full remote, we might just have one conference room per person in the actual office, which means effectively everyone gets a real office with walls and a door, just like the old days.  Will have to see how the numbers actually shake out, but the overall trend is going to be toward office space being cheaper, which means more space for those of us who have the luxury of living near it.  I've already been thinking about subletting my own private office from one of the companies in SF who are madly scrambling to stop the bleeding from their now-useless leases.

Before the Pandemic when we "in the office" it's not a situation where all of us are at the same location.  I will have project team members from California, Texas, New Hampshire, and India.  So when we are in the office, it's just like working from home with Zoom calls all day from your desk.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: May 27, 2021, 04:36:05 AM

Of course many companies will try to use this to roll off parts of their infrastructure costs to their employees, ideally without re-compensating them for it.

Apart from that, there are only upsides to more flexible working space arrangements in areas where this is possible. Another bank in our area had mandatory Home Office days even before Covid, cutting down on 20 to 30 percent of office space. I think the future in many companies will be Home Office as standard, and mandatory office days once in a while. No bean counter can resist the idea of saving that much money, especially now that necessity has proven that people aren't really less productive at home (which was the standard argument one heard before Covid).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: May 27, 2021, 05:32:23 AM

Back when organized labor was something that generally got you hit over the head by a Pinkerton with a billy club, mine owners made miners pay for their own equipment. I can definitely see a lot of white-collar businesses being happy to make employees eat all the costs of maintaining a functional office--it's up to you to get your own broadband and productivity software etc. if you want to work here!--and maybe offloading the rest of their benefits structure at the same time. (Though health care tied to the workplace is an important strategic tool in employee retention.)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1193 on: May 27, 2021, 07:17:07 AM

So when we are in the office, it's just like working from home with Zoom calls all day from your desk.

Oh, yeah, that's pretty dumb then.  Before the pandemic I worked in an open-plan office where if you were going to be on a Zoom call you grabbed a conference room.  Finding a big conference room for a big in-person meeting was usually challenging on short notice, but we had a lot of smaller two-person conference rooms for 1:1s and Zoom calls.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: May 27, 2021, 09:04:56 AM

A bunch of four Young likely lads were right up in my back yesterday when I was grocery shopping and I had to tell them to back off. Weren't wearing masks too. The whole Covid reality is largely breaking down here.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: June 03, 2021, 04:36:44 AM

New normal:  During a 4 hour training/workshop event today, I:

-Shaved my face and head
-Ate lots of cold pizza
-Took a dump.
-Dis-assembled some DnD terrain pieces
-Took a shower during a 5 minute break
-Stood up and wandered around a bit

Despite all that, I don't believe I got any less out of the event.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1196 on: June 03, 2021, 05:22:10 AM

Haha, but you do have to triple-check that no video/mic is on.

I've been working from home since March 13, 2020. During today's meeting about a site I don't run (that is similar to one I run), I was namedropped twice at the start and had to respond, then I muted myself, switched off video and, while listening on my headphones...

- Emptied the dishwasher
- Stacked two days' worth of firewood
- Sat down with a cup of tea and a snack
- Played EverQuest in a window
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: June 13, 2021, 03:18:21 PM

AstraZenica jab on Wed. I'll be appearing as a boss in Bloodborne afterwards.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: June 14, 2021, 02:28:35 PM

Too bad for you, most of us have already achieved "Hobo Magneto" status.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1199 on: June 14, 2021, 03:21:20 PM

Novavax announced their non-peer reviewed US / Mexico Phase 3 Trial results today:

Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine Demonstrates 90% Overall Efficacy and 100% Protection Against Moderate and Severe Disease in PREVENT-19 Phase 3 Trial

GAITHERSBURG, Md., June 14, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq: NVAX), today announced that NVX-CoV2373, its recombinant nanoparticle protein-based COVID-19 vaccine, demonstrated 100% protection against moderate and severe disease, 90.4% efficacy overall, and met the primary endpoint in its PREVENT-19 pivotal Phase 3 trial. The study enrolled 29,960 participants across 119 sites in the U.S. and Mexico to evaluate efficacy, safety and immunogenicity, with an emphasis on recruiting a representative population of communities and demographic groups most impacted by the disease.
The company intends to file for regulatory authorizations in the third quarter, upon completion of the final phases of process qualification and assay validation needed to meet chemistry, manufacturing and controls (CMC) requirements. Upon regulatory approvals, Novavax remains on track to reach manufacturing capacity of 100 million doses per month by the end of the third quarter and 150 million doses per month by the end of the fourth quarter of 2021.

The Novavax NVX-CoV2373 vaccine is yet another type of vaccine -- a "protein subunit" vaccine -- which packages up spike proteins plus an immune response booster "adjuvant" to trigger an immune response. An explanation of how they work and are made below:

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/what-are-protein-subunit-vaccines-and-how-could-they-be-used-against-covid-19
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: June 14, 2021, 11:35:43 PM

Guys, just got my first Pfizer shot about an hour ago.  I can already feel that spoons are more attracted to me.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1201 on: June 15, 2021, 06:17:59 AM

Guys, just got my first Pfizer shot about an hour ago.  I can already feel that spoons are more attracted to me.
Sorry, mutations only manifest themselves in mental adolescents.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1202 on: June 17, 2021, 11:26:25 PM

I've been back in the office for about a month now. Just a couple days a week, but this commute/campus sucks in 110 degree weather.

We're still mask mandatory, because our site isn't part of any particular common sense pilot program like "if you've not vaccinated, stay fucking home or whatever". Apparently they can do this at corporate, but not here. Funny thing is, I go into the "agile area" since I saw the door was propped open and that room has been off limits since the start of the pandemic. 3 dudes having a meeting with nary a mask in site. By the looks on their faces, you'd have thought I caught them doing some lewd.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:51 PM

Maybe they were!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1204 on: June 18, 2021, 09:22:57 PM

After a year+ of not showing my mouth and nose to anyone that isn't my wife, parents or doctor, the idea of free breathing feels pretty forbidden to me. I actually had a boxed catered lunch at work for the first time since the lockdown with another person. Both of us were vaxxed and we basically locked ourselves in the auditorium control room while we ate, but it took me a second to get comfortable with it.

Shit be weird, yo.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1205 on: June 19, 2021, 05:04:41 AM

To boost the covid-hit economy, our state government has given everyone 4 x $25 vouchers to spend in restaurants and on tickets to attractions, so we and some friends took our toddlers to the zoo. It was all outdoors with "covid marshals" keeping people apart, until.... a section where you went into a dark tunnel to see fish and penguins swim underwater, which was unpoliced and packed with people from all over the city who were mostly not wearing masks and breathing each other's air in the dark. Mr 2-year-old loved it, but I felt nothing but fear, picked him up and fled. Even though covid is almost absent here, plenty of other viruses are around and I don't think I'll ever accept situations like that again. We've changed. But I guess not all of us have, given the number of people in the tunnel.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: June 19, 2021, 07:15:25 AM

This is one thing where the anti-maskers almost had a point that they were distorting and misinterpreting and being characteristically stupid about, but...excessive hygienic isolation is a risk in its own right. Your immune system actually needs regular exposures to pathogens to stay tuned. There's a growing body of evidence that increases in food allergies and possibly the virulence of some viruses or other conditions is a result of too much cleanliness, too much protection of children from new foods, and too much time spent away from groups of people outside the home. Social distancing was important during this pandemic and will be important when another one comes along, but it might not be a wise general strategy for living.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1207 on: June 19, 2021, 09:38:47 AM

I think daycare provides all the exposure to pathogens we need :) We're all sick (a cold, not covid) for the second time in a month.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1208 on: June 19, 2021, 10:13:55 AM

Daycare, working in an office with people who have kids in daycare or in school - both of those are going to be PLENTY of exposure to viruses and bacteria just like they were before the pandemic. Holy shit, I marvel at the number of times I got sick because one of the parents who worked in the office at my old job would get it from their little crumbsnatchers then come into the office covered in sickness, or from the people who were so Type A that they refused to work from home when they were clearly contagious because they didn't want to take the time off (or didn't have stored up days). If wearing this mask among a bunch of people too nasty to even splash water on their fucking hands in the public restroom after depositing a mountain of toxic waste will keep me from catching sinus infections 2-4 times a year, I will proudly wear my mask.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1209 on: June 23, 2021, 02:17:02 PM

The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) just had a meeting discussing the reported cases of myocarditis/pericarditis after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination. Based on their findings and discussion the CDC will be adding a warning of that risk give the "likely association", to the fact sheets for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, but still recommends young people get vaccinated.

Various news coverage:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-panel-review-heart-inflammation-cases-after-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-2021-06-23/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/06/23/cdc-finds-likely-link-between-vaccine-and-rare-heart-inflammation-but-covid-causes-it-too-and-is-a-bigger-risk/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/cdc-reports-more-than-1200-cases-of-rare-heart-inflammation-after-covid-vaccine-shots.html

This is the updated page on cdc.gov about this:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html

The ACIP meeting slides are here:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/slides-2021-06.html

And the 5 hour video of the meeting is here (from CNBC, it's not on the CDC YouTube channel yet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc7TnFWdYzY
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1210 on: June 23, 2021, 02:31:24 PM

Hey I know some of those folks. I am actually working on one of Matt Daley's projects currently and he was one of the first people I met when I changed jobs back in Oct. Pretty neat to see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: June 25, 2021, 09:13:10 AM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1212 on: July 05, 2021, 03:18:19 PM

Israel’s Ministry of Health reports a drop in efficacy of Pfizer-BioNTech against Delta:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-vaccine-less-effective-against-delta-variant-eyes-third-dose/

According to the ministry, the Pfizer vaccine’s effectiveness in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 has dropped by some 30 percent to 64%, given the spread of the Delta variant. The data shows that during May, when the strain was less prevalent, the vaccine was 94.3% effective.

The Delta variant, which is believed to be twice as contagious as the original strain of COVID-19, is thought to be responsible for 90% of new cases in Israel over the past two weeks.

The data, however, also shows that the vaccine is still highly effective against preventing serious symptoms and hospitalization. During May, that figure stood at 98.2%, and during June, it was 93%.

And from the Fortune version of this news:

https://fortune.com/2021/07/05/israel-data-plunge-efficacy-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-delta-variant/

These figures are in line with ministry data that show that many of the new cases are among people who have been vaccinated, while the number of serious cases is rising much more slowly, Ynet said. Last Friday, 55% of the newly infected had been vaccinated, the website said. As of July 4, there were 35 serious cases of coronavirus in Israel, compared with 21 on June 19.

I checked the English-language version of the Ministry of Health but couldn't find the source study / data referred to above.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1213 on: July 13, 2021, 01:05:51 PM

Some additional serious side-effect warnings for the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine.

EMA: EMA advises against use of COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen in people with history of capillary leak syndrome
EMA’s safety committee (PRAC) has recommended that people who have previously had capillary leak syndrome must not be vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen. The Committee also recommended that capillary leak syndrome should be added to the product information as a new side effect of the vaccine, together with a warning to raise awareness among healthcare professionals and patients of this risk.

The Committee reviewed 3 cases of capillary leak syndrome in people who had received COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen, which occurred within 2 days of vaccination. One of those affected had a history of capillary leak syndrome and two of them subsequently died.

CNN: FDA warns of potential rare neurological complication with Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine (Guillain-Barré syndrome)
"Reports of adverse events following use of the Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine under emergency use authorization suggest an increased risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome during the 42 days following vaccination," the updated label reads.

"Although the available evidence suggests an association between the Janssen vaccine and increased risk of GBS, it is insufficient to establish a causal relationship. No similar signal has been identified with the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines," the label adds.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: July 13, 2021, 04:30:07 PM

I think I read there's been 100 cases of G-B Syndrome after the Vaccination from 160 million doses (However many doses those are of the Johnson and Johnson) That's pretty decent odds, honestly.

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1215 on: July 13, 2021, 04:49:18 PM

Yeah, the extreme "adverse events" have been right at the margins of statistical significance, it's not even a certainty that the jabs are the cause.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1216 on: July 13, 2021, 11:32:51 PM

Not sure if it's been in this thread, but the adverse event possibly associated with the Pfizer vax is myocarditis (heart wall inflammation) or pericarditis (heart's outer lining inflammation).

I spontaneously had viral pericarditis as a teenager and to date it's the most serious illness I've had. Two weeks in hospital and six months until I was fully cleared. I've since cycled over mountain ranges many times and my heart seems just fine, but it's a little daunting to have that history and a Pfizer vax due in 12 days.

Still much rather have pericarditis again than delta covid, so I'm hoping they don't incorporate "do you have a history of..."into the safety questions by then 😉
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: July 15, 2021, 08:02:26 AM

The cases reported were mostly in male recipients under 35.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #1218 on: July 26, 2021, 01:06:26 PM

Mother-in-law's open heart surgery today was cancelled due to the ICU beds filling up with COVID patients. Thanks, fucknuts. Those leaking valves aren't going to fix themselves.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: July 26, 2021, 01:59:53 PM

Mother-in-law's open heart surgery today was cancelled due to the ICU beds filling up with COVID patients. Thanks, fucknuts. Those leaking valves aren't going to fix themselves.
Let's be clear UNVACCINATED patients.
Rasix

Reply #1220 on: July 26, 2021, 02:54:15 PM

While being more liberal and science minded than Phoenix, we've still got our share of cowboys and live-free-and-die types all over Tucson. Kooky rich white moms aren't helping either.

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: July 26, 2021, 07:09:33 PM

I have a friend in Dublin that has needed double hip replacements for a couple of years now, but the hospital wont even examine her becasue they are snowed under with Covid Covid. She went into the hospital with a lung infectiona couple of weeks ago and they basically refused to even discuss her hips and hack sent her home despite her not bieng able to walk, becasue they hospital is full of Delta Young people infections. The nurse told her its not the old people anymore, as they are either vaccinated or protecting themselves, its the under 40s now as they havent gotten vaccinated and they never stopped having parties and socializing.

She said everyone looked tired and stressed out, and there was a guy who looked 30 coughing up blood clots in a room behind a clear partition.

I'm still masking up despite by full 2 Vaxx status.

Hic sunt dracones.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: August 09, 2021, 10:44:45 AM

Since the govt is now allowing Hungarians to get a second vaccine if they want as long as at least 3 months have passed since the first vac's last dose (and many people got 2 doses of Sinopharm, which is not very effective and not accepted anywhere in the world for travel), I got Janssen as my vac #3 today. Bow down before The Vaxman, Lord Of 5G!

... I'm pretty sure that even with the power of these 3 vaccinations combined, any of you who got two Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech doses are better protected than me  awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1223 on: August 09, 2021, 12:44:36 PM

I got the J&J in March and then got myself a Pfizer shot in July after I started seeing stories about doctors who'd had J&J opting to booster themselves up.  Hoping I can get some kind of booster at the next 3-month mark (maybe Novavax or a retooled Pfizer) to stay one step ahead of delta.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1224 on: August 09, 2021, 01:12:02 PM

SF General is giving out mRNA shots to J&J recipients. No idea if that'll still be the case 3 months from now. Two months appears to be the best timing for Pfizer based on a non-peer reviewed study from the UK testing dosing intervals so that's something else to consider.

https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-covid-booster-shots-zuckerberg-general-hospital-coronavirus/10933577/

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1875

https://www.pitch-study.org/PITCH_Dosing_Interval_23072021.pdf
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: