Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:38:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 253540 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: April 23, 2021, 01:19:17 AM

Thing in the Times about a study that concluded the vaccines (AZ at least) were almost certainly reducing transmission and not just turning cases asymptomatic, that I found reasonably convincing and understandable...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b53bb7c6-a39b-11eb-949b-ab1b919d4f89?shareToken=f37be92aea796fe41300f90a89aea52e

The team conducting the study, which has been published before peer review, was able to record the viral load by noting how many “cycles” in the test were needed to detect a positive result.

Standard coronavirus tests employ a reaction known as PCR, in which genetic material from the virus is continually amplified. The fewer such amplifications needed to spot a positive, the more virus is present.

People who were vaccinated were far more likely to require 30 cycles or more to produce a positive result.

“I think from that we can infer that it likely reduces transmission,” Dr Koen Pouwels, from the University of Oxford, said. “These are people that are still able to transmit, but at a lower rate. So I think we can be fairly confident that there is a reduction. We just need to quantify the exact reduction.”
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:28:06 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1156 on: April 23, 2021, 07:21:40 PM

And yet international travel IS a thing and varients are spreading around.

Yes, that's what we're talking about already.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1157 on: April 23, 2021, 08:57:16 PM

There are way too many unvaccinated, stupid motherfuckers running around maskless for me to feel safe either not wearing a mask in public or dining in a restaurant or going to the gym. People like my sister who apparently is going around saying "it's just a flu." I haven't spoken to her, and fear that when I do, I'll say something like "You get a flu shot, you dumb bitch, what do you think that is?"

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1158 on: April 24, 2021, 06:57:22 AM

1 week after my first shot, and I have a tooth going bad. Had a panic attack just thinking about going in among the unwashed only partly-vaccinated myself.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: April 24, 2021, 12:18:15 PM

1 week after my first shot, and I have a tooth going bad. Had a panic attack just thinking about going in among the unwashed only partly-vaccinated myself.

Around here the dentists still have procedures that would be the envy of the guys in the lab in The Andromeda Strain. You stay in your car when you arrive. They come get you and take you directly to your exam room. Everyone is masked and all rooms are wiped down and sanitized between uses.

I actually felt safer at my periodontist than at my doctor's office. A lot safer, actually. For all the six foot spacing and plexi shields patients waiting were still directed to go sit in clearly unsanitized shared chairs.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1160 on: April 24, 2021, 12:42:30 PM

I had a bad tooth pulled during the week. Utterly horrific extraction as the tooth had been infected for months, but the point is that the dentist wore this thing that looked like a space helmet with a pipe for airflow going behind his back. They also did not have any people waiting in the waiting room and you had to wait in your cars outside.

I wouldn't worry about infection at a dentists.

Hic sunt dracones.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1161 on: April 24, 2021, 01:36:16 PM

I've been putting off 2 extractions and an implant for a year. If it was just an extraction, I wouldn't be as worried. But it's more involved, and in Missouri. So I'm worried.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: April 25, 2021, 01:22:38 PM

I received the 2nd Dose of the Pfizer yesterday.  Today, I will entertain you all with details of my suffering. My employer gives us a full week of "Covid Relief Time Off" to use for stuff like getting vaccinated so used today because why not?

So other than a little fatigue, no side effects from the 2nd Pfizer dose.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1163 on: April 26, 2021, 01:18:06 PM

Son's baseball team had to shut down for a week due to the coach's kid testing positive. Not a big shocker, considering I've never seen a mask on the kid's face. Most of the real jock-ish kids barely even have them. It's interesting seeing the divide in mask usage. The breakdown on parent's profession is somewhat mixed. There's exceptions present, like the dentists' kids never wearing masks. Some kids whose parents are Univerisity employed wear and some don't. Most doctor's kids' do.

The one universal seems to be if your kid is a star player, a mask does not touch their face. Which is kind of odd, considering most of those players' parents have aspirations of them being collegiate atheletes and beyond. Might be difficult if COVID fucks up their lungs.

Luckily my son tested negative. We're both vaccinated but got tested anyways. They wanted to play Saturday, but I think we were the only hold out due to testing not being back yet. Funny enough, we were only going to have 8 and thus play with 8 (since no team wanted to lend players, shocker) since the coach's kid and other start player (both likely still had covid?) were playing in a club ball tournament. Fucking hell.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1164 on: April 26, 2021, 05:20:55 PM

The way in which the disease got politicized across the world (it's not just the US) conditioned some reactions and responses that I think might not have happened otherwise. Polio is a good counter-example. At its height, people were really sensitive across the board to the risk of it even if the iron-lung level of consequence was relatively rare, and especially families whose kids were athletic with aspirations in that direction. If the political hierarchy in the US and elsewhere had said forthrightly, "look, the long-term consequences are rare but very serious, mask up and limit your exposure", I think some of the people who've rejected masking would have accepted it. Once it got mapped against serious divides within global populations, it was all over.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1165 on: April 27, 2021, 12:38:39 PM

The way in which the disease got politicized across the world (it's not just the US) conditioned some reactions and responses that I think might not have happened otherwise. Polio is a good counter-example. At its height, people were really sensitive across the board to the risk of it even if the iron-lung level of consequence was relatively rare, and especially families whose kids were athletic with aspirations in that direction. If the political hierarchy in the US and elsewhere had said forthrightly, "look, the long-term consequences are rare but very serious, mask up and limit your exposure", I think some of the people who've rejected masking would have accepted it. Once it got mapped against serious divides within global populations, it was all over.

Counterpoint: Seat Belts.  'The long-term consequences of an accident are rare but very serious, buckle up and limit your exposure' has been similar to the marketing campaign for decades.  It was only when we mandated their use that people changed their behavior. 

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: April 28, 2021, 06:30:37 AM

I don't necessarily agree with making it "mandatory" as such, but that doesn't mean both government and private entities can't make your life impossible if you don't have, say, a vaccine pass.  Don't want a vaccine?  Cool!  Also, we'll arrest you if you go out in public.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1167 on: April 29, 2021, 08:58:12 AM

Arundhati Roy on the devastation of covid-19 in India right now. An unsparing indictment of Modi and the government he has shaped. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/28/crime-against-humanity-arundhati-roy-india-covid-catastrophe
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: April 29, 2021, 10:00:08 AM

India is the only country I've spent time in where the degree of nationalist and sectarian infection in the discourse even among generally well educated, was just frightening.

It is where Trump/Johnson et al lead.

And that piece is say exactly what I'd expect.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1169 on: April 29, 2021, 12:14:15 PM

At least some of that is a result of Modi's repression--somewhere in the last five years, it's become actively dangerous to be an educated, elite Hindu who is on record as disagreeing with Modi and Hindutva. (Obviously it's been real bad to be a Muslim elite since the very beginning of Modi's rise to power.)

And yes, this is precisely where this was always going in India and will go anywhere else on this road. It's not an accident that Hungary has had one of the world's worst death rates from covid-19 and that Brazil has been a catastrophe throughout the pandemic. Authoritarianism and sectarian nationalism doesn't even create efficient structures for managing public crises.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1170 on: April 29, 2021, 12:23:20 PM

Finally got first shot of Moderna after it got easier to get appointments online, and although there'd been a rush early on once things cleared up I had all sots of options. No crowd, no fuss, got it at a grocery store pharmacy a few blocks away... went shopping for the 15 minutes I wasn't recommended to drive.  Injection site was hot and achy the day of, merely achy for an additional three days and now I'm just waiting until mid May for the scheduled second shot.

Asking around, the report is that people are coming to their appointments on time and the appointments are indeed still booking up solid just more slowly than early on. Even though rural Kansas has a lot more doubters than the urban area I'm in, they're apparently also getting consistent enough business that they're using doses as quick as they're getting them. Everybody jokes about how getting the vaccine improves your cell phone reception.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1171 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:47 PM

My county is redneck af and we're at 51% 1st dose, 41% fully vaxxed.

I'm kind of amazed, but it does take the edge off being at the grocery store lately. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much more penetration we're going to get.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1172 on: April 30, 2021, 10:36:29 AM

At least some of that is a result of Modi's repression--somewhere in the last five years, it's become actively dangerous to be an educated, elite Hindu who is on record as disagreeing with Modi and Hindutva. (Obviously it's been real bad to be a Muslim elite since the very beginning of Modi's rise to power.)

And yes, this is precisely where this was always going in India and will go anywhere else on this road. It's not an accident that Hungary has had one of the world's worst death rates from covid-19 and that Brazil has been a catastrophe throughout the pandemic. Authoritarianism and sectarian nationalism doesn't even create efficient structures for managing public crises.

And as bad as it is here in India...it's likely to only get a lot worse before it gets better. People are still having weddings and other large-scale religious ceremonies here.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1173 on: May 01, 2021, 12:58:04 PM

Pfizer round two was an hour ago. Some woman waiting in observation had a reaction while waiting to leave. Visibly sweating and kinda out of it so that was interesting.

Now the wait-and-see part starts. Good thing I took care of all my errands yesterday on my day off.

edit: Fell asleep on the couch last night and remained there. Getting up this morning, feels like I have a medium sized hangover. Stomach is flip-flopping, headachy, slight ringing in the ears, and overall body aches but nothing severe. Slightly hard to focus on anything that takes up brainpower, but that is probably due to everything else being more pronounced. The arm I got the injection in is less sore than the last one. So overall, nothing crazy...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:10:30 AM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: May 02, 2021, 11:12:05 PM

edit: Fell asleep on the couch last night and remained there. Getting up this morning, feels like I have a medium sized hangover. Stomach is flip-flopping, headachy, slight ringing in the ears, and overall body aches but nothing severe. Slightly hard to focus on anything that takes up brainpower, but that is probably due to everything else being more pronounced. The arm I got the injection in is less sore than the last one. So overall, nothing crazy...

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this post you made is entirely in your imagination.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1175 on: May 03, 2021, 06:30:56 AM

I had my second Pfizer yesterday and took today off work just in case, but I feel fine so far other than some arm soreness.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1176 on: May 04, 2021, 04:57:56 AM

I had my second Pfizer yesterday and took today off work just in case, but I feel fine so far other than some arm soreness.

Exactly my reaction too (2nd Moderna). Focusing too much on possible reactions probably just invites them.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1177 on: May 04, 2021, 05:49:48 AM

Read various things suggesting getting more rest in the aftermath helps get a stronger response from the vaccine.

Might be bullshit but unlikely to hurt.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1178 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:01 PM

https://twitter.com/rupasubramanya/status/1389718661905092609

Rupa Subramanya@rupasubramanya
New variant discovered discovered in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh is "at least 15 times more virulent than the earlier ones, and may be even stronger than the Indian variants of B1.617 and B1.618. Experts a shorter exposure is enough to acquire the virus". I don't even.

The Hindu@the_hindu
· 22h
Experts say the new prevalent #COVID19 variant, which is being called the AP strain as it was first discovered in Kurnool, is at least 15 times more virulent than the earlier ones, and may be even stronger than the Indian variants of B1.617 and B1.618

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: May 05, 2021, 06:39:17 AM

So, in a metaphor, a seaside town in japan has used $228k of Covid relief money to build a giant statue of a squid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56978075

Hic sunt dracones.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1180 on: May 21, 2021, 09:02:33 AM

So I'm being submitted on Monday for approval to return to the office.  I'll have to go through instructor-led training of some sort (lulz!) before being allowed back, but otherwise it's only part time.  My manager suggest M W F, I countered with M W Th, and he's fine with that, so we'll see.  I'm still planning to wear a mask when moving about and will continue to avoid in-person meetings if possible.

At least it'll be a change from being at home all the effing time.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1181 on: May 21, 2021, 09:10:19 AM

Yah, I just got approved for working on site. I didn't ask to, but I need to install some development hardware for another site in our lab.

There's no logical reason why it has to be me, but whatever, I'll go in. We're still in a phase 1 reopening, so the practices are pretty much the same as a year ago. Fun fun.

Baseball season is almost over and my son will be done with school soon, so there's little impact on me personally. I'd just rather not be everyone's lab gopher.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:12:33 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1182 on: May 21, 2021, 09:58:22 AM

We are fully opening on June 1. Nobody is happy, but it is what it is. Just happy that I'm vaccinated.

Unfortunately, we kinda got forced into moving up our timeline thanks to the state and locals falling into line behind the CDC almost immediately. We figured we'd phase the opening similar to last year's phases. So I just had a shitload of work dumped onto my desk to finish next week.

And I just had a confrontation yesterday with an angry dude about masks, so after June 1 it'll basically be 'fuck it, pandemic's over' (though the daily deaths are still more than double of where they were last year here, but who gives a shit, right?)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1183 on: May 21, 2021, 05:31:35 PM

I volunteered to go back into the office for a pilot.  I only live 10 minutes away so I figured "why not?"  Unfortunately, the powers that be decided to change to a more open concept seating arrangement and that just doesn't work when the job requires 6 zoom meetings a day. 

So it's back to the home office I go.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1184 on: May 21, 2021, 09:13:26 PM

I had to go in for a whiteboarding session for a new intervention a project is planning. Had a call an hour before so went in early. It was strange not least of which I have ever only been in the office for this job for my orientation week. The whole time I kept thinking I could be listening in on the whiteboarding session on Teams and working on code to pull the data for another project. Actually started feeling anxious about not being able to get more done.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: May 24, 2021, 07:02:58 AM

the powers that be decided to change to a more open concept seating arrangement and that just doesn't work
fify
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1186 on: May 24, 2021, 08:01:51 AM

Usually in an open-seating office you at least have conference rooms where you can have meetings without everyone having to hear everyone else.  I'm still waiting to see how things shake out when the office reopens, but given the number of people who've gone fully remote and the number of Zoom meetings I'm going to continue to have to do, I might be able to just permanently claim a conference room as my private office.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1187 on: May 25, 2021, 02:26:27 AM

Usually in an open-seating office you at least have conference rooms where you can have meetings without everyone having to hear everyone else.  I'm still waiting to see how things shake out when the office reopens, but given the number of people who've gone fully remote and the number of Zoom meetings I'm going to continue to have to do, I might be able to just permanently claim a conference room as my private office.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

So when everyone is on zoom calls it becomes a scramble to see who can show up the earliest and claim a room.  Sounds fun!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1188 on: May 25, 2021, 10:20:15 AM

So when everyone is on zoom calls it becomes a scramble to see who can show up the earliest and claim a room.  Sounds fun!

Every Zoom call takes the place of what would otherwise (pre-pandemic) have been a meeting in a conference room, so room availability should stay the same, at worst.  

My "private office" comment was suggesting that with the increased number of people who've gone full remote, we might just have one conference room per person in the actual office, which means effectively everyone gets a real office with walls and a door, just like the old days.  Will have to see how the numbers actually shake out, but the overall trend is going to be toward office space being cheaper, which means more space for those of us who have the luxury of living near it.  I've already been thinking about subletting my own private office from one of the companies in SF who are madly scrambling to stop the bleeding from their now-useless leases.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: May 26, 2021, 12:14:24 PM

Lots of talk in academia about what the "new normal" ought to be when we all come back in the fall, which for a lot of faculty and staff sounds uncomfortably like "I wonder whose jobs we can get rid of permanently?" and "Hey, maybe we really don't have to have students here" (that's being pushed by the ed-tech people who've been trying to pull an Uber on K-12s and universities alike since the late 1990s and have so far failed).  But there's stuff I'm completely good with making permanent. I've been to talks and workshops on Zoom "at" locations all over the world this year and it's been rather lovely. A lot of events that would have been dull canned lectures have been turned into conversations or dialogues. I would be perfectly happy to see professional association meetings die forever.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: