Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250987 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #280 on: March 23, 2020, 12:05:30 PM

Well, someone already smashed in the backdoor of the local Mexican food restaurant, so it's not a bad idea if you're not going to be open anytime soon.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #281 on: March 23, 2020, 12:28:10 PM

Down town Seattle is now starting to look like what it must be like before a hurricane arrives.

Seen three business that have their windows and doors boarded up with plywood.

Austin businesses are boarded up.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: March 23, 2020, 01:10:18 PM

Hey, remember how I just helped my kid move five states? Guess who furloughs starting tomorrow.

For bonus fun? He's still registered as an employee in Texas -- he never officially started his new position in his new state. And his address is still Texas, because he hasn't changed it.

I have no idea where he should apply for unemployment legally.

He needs to call the DoL line for claimants, explain the situation, and see.  It does vary state by state.

In many/most states, a reduction in hours or furlough would qualify you to collect unemployment under normal circumstances.  Most states are loosening requirements now anyway.  He needs to find out when the DoL claimants line opens for business and call first thing.

In New York, if you leave a job for a new job and then are let go/furloughed from the new position, you would be eligible for benefits as you were a qualifying employee in New York within the last year and lost employment/hours through no fault of your own.  Benefits would be calculated based on your salary at your prior position.

Or, you know, if you had a regular accountant who handled your affairs this would be a great time to ask them to see what the best approach would be...
Thanks! I was able to find the information that was Texas specific based on your post, and he does qualify for Texas.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #283 on: March 23, 2020, 01:18:35 PM

The looting has quietly begun here, rash of a lot of businesses getting hit. We have a lot of NYC transplants, thanks to the prison outside town (that used to be a mental hospital and is now closed, so...jobs, amirite). So it's a really great class of citizen. Mostly just opportunists taking advantage of closed businesses with low levels of security, but that's how it starts before the desperation. I was ground zero for the King riots in LA in the 90s, so I'd already been contemplating a pistol permit. With the delays due to the current situation (not even sure if I can get a class, though a couple local shops are trying to stay open through the governors shut down order,it's a mess), I'm considering long rifles, probably a shotgun or a NY legal rifle...if I can get ammo.

I don't see how it's not going to get bad when most of the minimum wage jobs just disappeared. I don't want to be in an American city (albeit one of the smallest) without some protection. Also, nice to live in a stone house :D

The old lady is terrified of guns, but I grew up with them around and used to shoot a lot. We talked about this briefly early on, and now she's sending me links about pistol permits, so I know she's now more terrified of human behavior in a couple weeks.

Anyone else been thinking along these lines?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: March 23, 2020, 01:36:54 PM

Yup, all I have now is a Ruger 1022 .22 cal rifle in the house.  Probably going to buy a random 12 gauge shotgun and cut the barrel down to where it is still legal.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #285 on: March 23, 2020, 04:00:33 PM

Welp... Australia.

My parents are out of quarantine today, into this.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: March 23, 2020, 06:55:33 PM

Australia is still in a much better situation that pretty much everywhere else in the world.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/australian-health-protection-principal-committee-ahppc-coronavirus-covid-19-statement-on-22-march-2020

More testing per capita than most, lower positive rates than most. Moved earlier (relative to cases) than most.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #287 on: March 23, 2020, 07:09:57 PM

Can't confirm this is real or not, but a captivating read... in a horror-sense of the word at least:
https://imgur.com/gallery/fiZxBkt

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #288 on: March 23, 2020, 08:08:24 PM

Can't confirm this is real or not, but a captivating read... in a horror-sense of the word at least:
https://imgur.com/gallery/fiZxBkt
Saw the original FB post, it's at least actually from the person it says it is.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #289 on: March 24, 2020, 12:00:51 AM

Well thanks for scaring the ever loving fuck out of me at 1 a.m.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: March 24, 2020, 12:43:25 AM

Makes me rethink this strange nasal drip I have had the last two days.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: March 24, 2020, 06:30:18 AM

Australia is still in a much better situation that pretty much everywhere else in the world.

No, we are not.

We are doubling every 3 days.

The test results are 10 days behind the actual infection rate. So whatever you have test results for, because we are only testing people with direct contact or have been overseas and are visibly sick, you won't see them and get results for 10 days after they are infected.

We are now 8 days from when Italy's medical system was over taken and could not cope.

3 days after our medical system reaches capacity, you need to double it in size. The estimates are our ICU beds will hit that point around the 1st week of April. That's 2 weeks from now. Our muppet government is allowing 10's of 1000's of people to stand in lines outide centrelink offices and had no idea it would happen and made no plans for it that 1 million people would be out of work in the course of a week.

They are STILL not shutting everything down because they think there is an economy to save!

There is going to be no economy.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #292 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:36 AM

There’s going to be no people
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 24, 2020, 07:27:09 AM

And the kangaroo will once again rule the continent!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #294 on: March 24, 2020, 07:59:02 AM

I, for one, welcome our new marsupial overlords.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 24, 2020, 08:15:50 AM

Australia being taken over by kangaroos would be one of the most pleasant things that country has gone through recently.

Oh, and Australia has one of the worst curves in the world, they are in deep shit.  One of the weakest responses I have heard of.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: March 24, 2020, 08:28:11 AM

That’s the one constant of this virus, it exploits any weaknesses.  In the host body or government/political systems.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: March 24, 2020, 08:43:56 AM

There seems to be a correlation between facist shitfuck governments and slow and uninformed response.  Or maybe it's just me.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #298 on: March 24, 2020, 08:56:54 AM

There seems to be a correlation between facist shitfuck governments and slow and uninformed response.  Or maybe it's just me.

According to some napkin math, there is a positive correlation between the two variables, r = .98, p = < .001.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:15 AM

If its on a napkin, it must be true!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #300 on: March 24, 2020, 10:14:35 AM

I, for one, welcome our new marsupial overlords.

--Dave
They've got the female human vote locked: THEY HAVE POCKETS

This crisis has revealed that the fiancee's mom is farther into dementia than we had thought. Fiancee has been having to explain the entire situation in full multiple times a day. Mom's one remaining friend has an asshole grandkid living with her, having company over and going out all night partying, so she can't have contact. Keeps asking if family or the cleaning lady can come over. They canceled her church services, she's now completely isolated and just watching the news cycle all day. And then the cycle of questions (because she's seeing it again and again on the news) for the fiancee. Poor girl is run ragged, she's also not coping well with remote work and feels shut out by the younger employees.

Still can't find any TP anywhere.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #301 on: March 24, 2020, 11:51:36 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #302 on: March 24, 2020, 12:12:26 PM

Vienna is gorgeous without the people.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #303 on: March 24, 2020, 12:13:29 PM

Trend in Italy is more or less stable for the third straight day. Again slightly less +positive cases, but also more deaths compared to yesterday's count (but more people recovered too). Peak really seem in sight, but the situation is still spotty because southern Italy might get hit harder in the next 10 days or so.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #304 on: March 24, 2020, 04:21:03 PM

China is an autocratic shithole and yet dealt with the outbreak pretty well.

It’s just that our autocrat shitbags value “the economy” (TM) more than their own people.
schild
Administrator

Reply #305 on: March 24, 2020, 05:02:20 PM

China is an actual dictatorship.

Dictatorships are good at putting the boot down on bootlickers.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:47 PM

Maintaining quarantines is a Storm Troopers specialty.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #307 on: March 24, 2020, 06:00:08 PM

Day 7 of the San Francisco Bay Area "shelter in place" order. For some reason it feels longer than that to me. Here in the heart of Silicon Valley, which is the epicenter for the infection in the Bay Area (sorry about that rest of the Bay Area), reported cases are doubling every 5 days which looks pretty scary when plotted though not as scary as Australia's graph. Don't know if testing frequency has increased or not yet though Google is now offering free testing in the area for those that qualify. Of course Google, never missing an opportunity to collect and tie people's personal information together, is forcing people to create Google accounts if they don't already have one to be able to get tested*.

The two grocery store chains I visited today have (finally) instituted purchase limits since I was there end of last week. Whole Foods only has limits on certain high-demand staple items while Sprouts has a limit on everything which is odd and inconvenient. The shelves are slightly better stocked than they have been the last two or three weeks, however, so at least that's good. Whole Foods was also oddly missing its army of Amazon Prime grocery shoppers/deliverers for some reason. Even before all this started it felt like most of people shopping my Whole Foods were Prime shoppers so I'm not sure where they all went. Haven't yet been to Costco this week yet but last week when I was there they had toilet paper in limited quantities (including Charmin and not just the cheap flimsy stuff) so that's encouraging.

I've actually been out more since the lockdown started getting takeout food, trying to both preserve my stockpile of food at home (while I also slowly add to it each week) and also support my favorite restaurants that are still open. Some are even offering gift cards / discounted purchases to encourage people to order food from them which is nice.

* Yes Google is claiming in the FAQ that this data isn't going to be associated with your other Google data "without your explicit permission" but it's trivial for Google to force that permission to happen with their frequent ToS changes that nobody reads

Edit: removed redundancy
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:09:48 PM by Trippy »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #308 on: March 24, 2020, 06:09:38 PM

We went from buying at Whole Foods to ordering Amazon Fresh once they started limiting people in the stores to 50.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #309 on: March 24, 2020, 06:10:52 PM

Mine doesn't have that limit (yet) though they do have the one hour in the morning seniors-only (60+) thing now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #310 on: March 24, 2020, 06:18:45 PM

Day 7 of the San Francisco Bay Area "shelter in place" order.

Today represents roughly day 14 of me choosing to shelter in place, and I gotta say

not much has changed
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: March 24, 2020, 06:38:43 PM

I miss sitting somewhere having coffee, but other than that not much for me either.

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #312 on: March 24, 2020, 06:43:05 PM

I haven't had a good flat white in two weeks.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: March 24, 2020, 07:10:54 PM

No, we are not.

We are doubling every 3 days.

The test results are 10 days behind the actual infection rate. So whatever you have test results for, because we are only testing people with direct contact or have been overseas and are visibly sick, you won't see them and get results for 10 days after they are infected.

We are now 8 days from when Italy's medical system was over taken and could not cope.

3 days after our medical system reaches capacity, you need to double it in size. The estimates are our ICU beds will hit that point around the 1st week of April. That's 2 weeks from now. Our muppet government is allowing 10's of 1000's of people to stand in lines outide centrelink offices and had no idea it would happen and made no plans for it that 1 million people would be out of work in the course of a week.

They are STILL not shutting everything down because they think there is an economy to save!

There is going to be no economy.

Scott Morrison is an incompetent leader who cannot deliver a clear consistent message to save his life. That's bad.

Australia's economy is going to get fucked. That's bad.

People will die. That's really bad.

We're still way better off that many many other places. That's still bad, because everywhere is fucked.

We are doing more testing per capita here than most places. We've shut down things on a more aggressive schedule that most places, even if not by much. Relatively better can be true, even if it's still bad.

Graphs can look good or bad based on a bunch of recording factors. The US was testing like 17 people per million, Australia was doing about 500. The US can look great if they decide to not test anyone and treat anyone and hundreds die in their own homes. Simplistic looking at graphs and saying "nah nah it's super worse here" is not the way to consider what is going on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:13:55 PM by lamaros »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #314 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25:31 PM

Scott Morrison is an incompetent leader who cannot deliver a clear consistent message to save his life. That's bad.

Australia's economy is going to get fucked. That's bad.

Last night in a televised press conference, Prime Minister Morrison said "Stay at home." Meaning don't go out under any circumstances if you can help it.

This morning his government sent a public health information text message, supposedly to all Australians, saying "Stay at home if you're sick." (contradicting his advice)

It only reached customers on the Telstra network. It came through as being from Telstra itself and began "Coronavirus Aus Gov msg:" like someone's shorthand version, then continued in full sentences.

This is despite the fact his party spent the last election spamming everyone with unsolicited texts where the sender was accurate.

Most things are closed but they're keeping open hairdressers and (for fuck's sake) food courts in shopping malls, restricted to takeaway only. So entire shopping malls full of closed shops are keeping their aircon running for douchebags who want to eat from the food court. Schools also remain open by order of the government, terrifying teachers and parents.

Oh and there's a new co-ordination commission set up to try and minimise the effects of the crisis. It will be headed by.... a former mining boss, aligned with the conservative government. Fuck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: