Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250975 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #210 on: March 18, 2020, 10:27:38 PM

Apparently the R0 on this is worse the lower the humidity, so BYEEEEEEEEEEE from the desert.

probably has more to do with co-variation between desert climates and Iran/Eqypt

No, it has to do with how low-humidity helps to keep droplets from coughs/sneezes airborne/aerosol rather than precipitate out of the air. It's fairly well known for normal flu stuff.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #211 on: March 18, 2020, 10:30:07 PM

So there was a earthquake in the Salt Lake City Utah area today....

Ya, been a blast on the Emergency Management side of things. It caused a chemical spill at the big mine of HCl that created a plume we needed to deal with as well.

It's wild. Like, I've been in FEMA training where they do these tabletop exercises and the devious fuckers keep piling on one thing after another (Hazmat train derailment, then a tornado, etc.) and this feels just like that but its all real.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #212 on: March 19, 2020, 03:22:12 AM

The city and county where my sister and parents live as has been put under quarantine and a curfew because it’s become a corona hotspot.

So I won’t  be able to see my family for the next few weeks or months. Maybe never again if my parents get infected.

Ground zero for the outbreak was a beer festival in a town about 20 miles away where all of the townsfolk went including police fire dept and doctors. This town is on lockdown since Tuesday.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #213 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:26 AM

Simple tip seen on Facebook.  I only have a small bottle of hand sanitzer, and it seems at least for a while that one will need such a thing on hand for the next several months any time forced to interact with the public.  Of course, it is sold out everywhere I look.

But what isn't sold out?  Isopropyl alcohol and Aloe Vera.  I guess you just make a 2 to 1 mixture, and BAM, there's your sanitizer.

My wife just bought 3 aloe plants and 2 bottles of iso alcohol for just such a task. I tried to tell her she's probably tripped over into overreaction a bit but she's stubborn. Also, she may be right so yay?

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: March 19, 2020, 11:12:39 AM

So my wife is a research scientist who runs an immunolgy lab. She is the smartest person I know, but in a couple ways she just lacks common sense. Not like and idiot or anything, just that there are some answers to basic things that Jane on the Street will get that she won't. I've been telling her for a week now her department is going to get shunted to COVID work. She would scoff and tell me that what a bad idea that was, that they didn't know the first thing about the virus (not from a layman's perspective, from and advanced research perspective), that they weren't set up for that, etc. And I would tell her, that doesn't fuckin' matter. You don't have to be Carnac the Magnificent to see that they were going to get forced into it.

And of course I was right.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #215 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:25 PM

Simple tip seen on Facebook.  I only have a small bottle of hand sanitzer, and it seems at least for a while that one will need such a thing on hand for the next several months any time forced to interact with the public.  Of course, it is sold out everywhere I look.

But what isn't sold out?  Isopropyl alcohol and Aloe Vera.  I guess you just make a 2 to 1 mixture, and BAM, there's your sanitizer.

My wife just bought 3 aloe plants and 2 bottles of iso alcohol for just such a task. I tried to tell her she's probably tripped over into overreaction a bit but she's stubborn. Also, she may be right so yay?

We've had a huge aloe plant for years, (had to cut it down and give the cuttings to several friends and family members.) Got a case of everclear too. Let's rock.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #216 on: March 19, 2020, 01:37:53 PM

My son's friend's dad killed himself on Sunday. The guy had some mental health issues and apparently was convinced he had cancer for like the past year. I didn't know this about him, and the guy seemed nice enough and upbeat the few times I hung out with him last year. The whole corona virus situation I guess pushed him over the edge.

Sucks. He had two kids and a wife that works part time.

Anyhow, I suppose we'll see some people broken by this. Keep safe and healthy everyone.

-Rasix
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: March 19, 2020, 01:45:02 PM

I’m expecting other bad shit like an increase in domestic violence and murders.  People stuck together too many hours in a day.  It’s a pressure cooker and stove is set to High.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #218 on: March 19, 2020, 01:54:11 PM

There will likely be a spike in divorces because of this. And also babies being made.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: March 19, 2020, 02:17:44 PM

My son's friend's dad killed himself on Sunday. The guy had some mental health issues and apparently was convinced he had cancer for like the past year. I didn't know this about him, and the guy seemed nice enough and upbeat the few times I hung out with him last year. The whole corona virus situation I guess pushed him over the edge.

Sucks. He had two kids and a wife that works part time.

Anyhow, I suppose we'll see some people broken by this. Keep safe and healthy everyone.

If you have other medical issues and are in the hospital right now corona is already messing up your chances to survive. We have only six corona deaths here but I know personally two incidents where just the fear of it has affected treatment for individuals.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #220 on: March 19, 2020, 07:13:56 PM

If you have other medical issues and are in the hospital right now corona is already messing up your chances to survive. We have only six corona deaths here but I know personally two incidents where just the fear of it has affected treatment for individuals.

One of those deaths is the person my parents were exposed to, so shit is real around here. They tested negative and their quarantine ends next Tuesday. At this stage I'd prefer it didn't end.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #221 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:02 PM

Well your reported cases are going up exponentially too so it probably won't be too long before people will be asked/ordered to self-isolate.

Feb 22: 22  reported cases
Feb 29: 25
Mar 07: 71
Mar 14: 295
Mar 19: 757

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/novel_coronavirus_2019_ncov_weekly_epidemiology_reports_australia_2020.htm
schild
Administrator

Reply #222 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:37 PM

have fun in italy, california
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #223 on: March 19, 2020, 07:48:05 PM

I live in what was the hardest hit county in California until Los Angeles* passed us recently awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see. ACK!

At least we don't have a butt-head governor like you do.

* but my county has a lower population so we're still way ahead per-capita

Edit: for those wondering what schild is talking about:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-issues-statewide-stay-home-order-coronavirus-fight-n1164471
https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:50:45 PM by Trippy »
schild
Administrator

Reply #224 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:47 PM

I live in what was the hardest hit county in California until Los Angeles* passed us recently awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see. ACK!

At least we don't have a butt-head governor like you do.

* but my county has a lower population so we're still way ahead per-capita

our butthead governor legalized alcohol delivery
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #225 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:17 PM

Sadly that's not a cure.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #226 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:47 PM

Well your reported cases are going up exponentially too so it probably won't be too long before people will be asked/ordered to self-isolate.

Feb 22: 22  reported cases
Feb 29: 25
Mar 07: 71
Mar 14: 295
Mar 19: 757

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/novel_coronavirus_2019_ncov_weekly_epidemiology_reports_australia_2020.htm

Agree with you entirely (and have been working from home for a week so far).
schild
Administrator

Reply #227 on: March 19, 2020, 08:06:18 PM

Sadly that's not a cure.

well, texas gov sucks obviously

but while it's not a cure, it DOES mean I get alcohol brought to my door
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #228 on: March 19, 2020, 10:08:28 PM

Florida is about to go all pear shaped on us:

https://healthweather.us/

tldr: "Flu Like Illness" is code for "we think COVID but we can't test for it because the proper hoops haven't been jumped through." 4.5M olds in Florida.

--Dave

Edit: Grey doesn't really mean 'normal', it means not enough data because nobody fucking lives there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:09:59 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: March 19, 2020, 10:17:05 PM

The comment about grey being no one living there is fucking hyperbole, Dave.

There are lots of places on that map with pretty high populations that are in grey areas, and places where there are hundreds of square miles per person that are not grey.

But yes, Florida is looking to end up more like Iran than Italy.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #230 on: March 19, 2020, 10:34:09 PM

Starting to wish my parents had come here for ... 18 months? Yeeeeee
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #231 on: March 20, 2020, 02:37:31 AM

Florida is about to go all pear shaped on us:

https://healthweather.us/

tldr: "Flu Like Illness" is code for "we think COVID but we can't test for it because the proper hoops haven't been jumped through." 4.5M olds in Florida.

--Dave

Edit: Grey doesn't really mean 'normal', it means not enough data because nobody fucking lives there.

ILI, or influenza like illness is what the CDC uses to track possible flu cases and the season waves which they have been doing for at least a decade now. These can only be reported if the person's ARI (acute respiratory illness) symptoms get reported and logged into the medical record system. All it means is people are suffering from respiratory illness, not fever though that accompanies flu most of the time. It's a cool graphic and all, but coming from a company selling thermometers, I can understand why they emphasize the points that directly support their products.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: March 20, 2020, 03:13:25 PM

I have about a 2 week supply left but I am starting to regret not buying a jumbo pack of TP when I went out for ice cream last week and saw the beginning of the apocalyptic run on the grocery store. There is probably enough food in the house to last as long as the TP.  My wife did make an attempt to go to the store today and said it is still crazy, even less on the shelves than there was 4 days ago.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #233 on: March 20, 2020, 05:39:25 PM

I went to the local Kroger today and people have officially LOST THEIR GODDAMN MINDS. Toilet paper/paper products aisle completely obliterated. All antibacterial hand soap, gone (yet oddly these idiots left all the regular hand soap that isn't labeled antibacterial even though just REGULAR GODDAMN SOAP is just fine to wash off viruses and shit). People walking around in face masks, some of them coughing.

Look here, Sally Shitstain. If you are wearing a mask because you need it, i.e. YOU ARE COUGHING, you shouldn't be in the fucking grocery store around 1/4 of the population. If you do NOT have symptoms yet are wearing a face mask, the police should slap you around, go to your home and confiscate every goddamn one of those masks and give to the HOSPITALS THAT FUCKING NEED IT, YOU CUNT.

Thankfully, I think I'm not stocked up enough that I won't have to leave my house again until next Friday when I have to go back into work for my 1 day a week. By that time either we'll have restocked our shelves or the apocalypse will be well and truly upon us and I won't have to go to work anyway.

I got TP. I got booze. I got food. I got snacks. Let's hermit up in this motherfucker.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: March 20, 2020, 06:05:32 PM

I have about a 2 week supply left but I am starting to regret not buying a jumbo pack of TP when I went out for ice cream last week and saw the beginning of the apocalyptic run on the grocery store. There is probably enough food in the house to last as long as the TP.  My wife did make an attempt to go to the store today and said it is still crazy, even less on the shelves than there was 4 days ago.
The TP shortage will not last forever.  If you get desperate, use a washcloth and wash it. 

People only have so much shelf and fridge space - we're starting to see food last longer at Costco, Grocery Stores, etc... in my area.  There was TPon the shelves at Costco and the chain grcery stores for over half the day, today.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #235 on: March 20, 2020, 06:09:12 PM

By the time I have to shop again(about 3 more weeks), I expect things to have worked themselves out. There's no actual shortage of household products, just a passing demand surge. But once a month/bi-weekly shopping trips are going to become the norm for a bit.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: March 20, 2020, 06:29:40 PM

The TP shortage will not last forever.  If you get desperate, use a washcloth and wash it.  

People are selling TP on e-bay, if that company gave an actual fuck about anything they would ban it and let these fuckers enjoy their 10 year supply of TP.

edit - I took a quick look here is some absolute saint of a human being selling a package of TP for $40 (not to mention $30 shipping and handling).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:33:00 PM by Salamok »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: March 21, 2020, 05:45:13 AM

edit - I took a quick look here is some absolute saint of a human being selling a package of TP for $40 (not to mention $30 shipping and handling).

There's a means to report listings for price gouging, but looks like this person was already reported for it on the 19th, and is still at it, so doesn't seem to do any good.  Not surprising, given how shitty Ebay/Paypal are.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: March 21, 2020, 08:26:19 AM

One of my shitbag coworkers was bragging about selling Clorox wipes on Ebay for $80 a pack yesterday.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #239 on: March 21, 2020, 09:54:15 AM

Did you cough directly into his shitbag hellmouth? Because you should totally do that.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: March 21, 2020, 11:53:44 AM

Also, if he has anything nice you can steal just go ahead and take it.  After all he is stealing from others.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: March 21, 2020, 01:53:00 PM

The record of their sales will be there for a while.  eBay and Amazon will face pressure to go after them.  I'm curious if eBay and Amazon have the capability to disgorge your gouging profits.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: March 21, 2020, 02:08:55 PM

I think folks who are doing this kind of stuff don't really know what they're messing with. In this context, it's no longer cute or Reddit-worthy or whatever. In a genuinely dire situation, people who are profiteering have the sense to be discreet and to hire protective muscle. The people who are visible and public and stupid are honestly courting some form of public violence.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: March 21, 2020, 03:12:22 PM

As the US healthcare system gets more stressed, they are starting to talk about not bothering testing

WaPo

A new message in hard-hit areas: Don’t get tested

Health officials in New York, California and other hard-hit parts of the country are restricting coronavirus testing to health-care workers and people who are hospitalized, saying the battle to contain the virus is lost and we are moving into a new phase of the pandemic response.

As cases spike sharply in those places, they are hunkering down for an onslaught, and directing scarce resources where they are needed most to save people’s lives. Instead of encouraging broad testing of the public, they’re focused on conserving masks, ventilators, intensive care beds — and on getting still-limited tests to health-care workers and the most vulnerable. The shift is further evidence that the rising levels of infection and illness have begun to overwhelm the health care system.

Health officials are struggling with a complicated message — more people can get tested, but those with mild symptoms should stay home and practice social distancing. Some go so far as to warn that widespread testing at this point could threaten the U.S. response by burning through precious supplies just as a tidal wave of sick people descend on the system — a message at odds with administration announcements that millions of test kits are finally becoming available.

“In a universe where masks and gowns are starting to become scarce, every time we test someone who doesn’t need one, we’re taking that mask and gown away from someone in the intensive care unit,” said Demetre Daskalakis, deputy commissioner for the Division of Disease Control of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Personally I'd start outside drive through testing stations and don't throw away a mask for every patient, but what do I know? Regardless, numbers from tests are going to become even more unreliable.

Also seeing reports that US hospitals are going to start going broke soon as they are spending out the ass for supplies.

Hic sunt dracones.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: March 21, 2020, 10:27:35 PM

Here in Minnesota we had our first COVID-19 death.  Patient was in their 80s and had a number of health issues.  We have 137 known cases and 6-12 hospitalized depending on who you believe. 

Youngest patient is 10 so that blows a hole in theory kids don’t get sick from the virus.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: