Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250937 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: March 16, 2020, 09:43:52 PM

I personally know one person who has self quarantined. She has symptoms and has properly reported herself to her doctor and been told to just keep doing what she is already doing. No test, so no attempt at officially checking her recent contacts either.

Considering the fact that it is already a global pandemic and the lack of testing.....isn’t that the right approach?  It no longer matters where it is coming from, that phase is over.  And considering the lack of available testing, they cannot afford to test anyone who is not in serious condition.

Well, not according to the World Health Organization, who just yesterday was recommending less "social distancing" and more real tests, including running down and testing previous contacts.

The disease is not past the point of testing being useful in the US yet. In two weeks, it may be.
schild
Administrator

Reply #141 on: March 16, 2020, 09:44:54 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #142 on: March 16, 2020, 10:15:48 PM

That was both uplifting and heartbreaking.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: March 17, 2020, 01:15:35 AM

I personally know one person who has self quarantined. She has symptoms and has properly reported herself to her doctor and been told to just keep doing what she is already doing. No test, so no attempt at officially checking her recent contacts either.

Considering the fact that it is already a global pandemic and the lack of testing.....isn’t that the right approach?  It no longer matters where it is coming from, that phase is over.  And considering the lack of available testing, they cannot afford to test anyone who is not in serious condition.

Well, not according to the World Health Organization, who just yesterday was recommending less "social distancing" and more real tests, including running down and testing previous contacts.

The disease is not past the point of testing being useful in the US yet. In two weeks, it may be.

Yeah, I get it....but practically speaking, that is not even possible any more.  There aren't enough tests available.  Nobody is going to spend time tracking down contacts.  They only have time and resources to deal with the most serious cases (and also rich or connected people).

In DK, they are officially saying that they will not even test anyone who does not have very serious symptoms.  Based on what we know, that could mean that the infected rates is easily 10 times what is being reported.  It has to be FAR worse in the US.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #144 on: March 17, 2020, 05:57:28 AM

Update: my parents tested negative. Phew. They've still gotta complete the 2-week quarantine, which is actually peace of mind for me because it protects them... Give it another week and a bit, we'll probably all be in lockdown.

The man my parents encountered who had Covid-19 died of it today. They are shocked.

Case apparently consistent with others I've read about: patient aged 80+, hospitalised but appearing to recover, takes a nosedive in week 2 and dies.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #145 on: March 17, 2020, 09:08:46 AM

Sigh, yeah, my boomer father who does a lot of travel across all of Northern California as a sales/contract guy, is in full denial mode.  Talking to me about how our commie governor has the state on Martial law over just a few cases of the disease.  Trying to talk sense into him about the practical reasons this is serious, but going to take stuff closer to home for it to sink in I think.  Which I'm very afraid will be his significant other, who has some serious lung issues (hurray a life of smoking), who will 100% die if she caught it.

Really need some high profile GOP asshole to drop dead from this to at least maybe possibly get the fear of god into that group of people.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:10:33 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: March 17, 2020, 09:46:18 AM

I had essential travel (helping my kid move to another state) so I got to embark on a five state road trip and a flight back, complete with eating at lots of resteraunts. The day after I flew back his new state shut down all their restaurants and bars, and today Houston did.

I had to argue with my bosses to work from home for the next week (you know, the sensible thing!)-- compromised on me coming in after hours, when the office is very empty, to do a few 'in person' tasks  and working from home the rest of the time.

Having to fight for that was annoying, because I'd bet money that next week my workplace will move to mandatory "work from home" if it all possible. Which is why I went in last night and ensured I had all the paperwork filed to work from home for the next month and to basically just take my work equipment home to do my job. Hopefully I can pick it up tonight.

Of course my kid is low-key panicked. His company paid to move him, but he can't do his job -- he's there as a manager for a new location for his company, a location that was supposed to open in the next two weeks. They can't hire staff, can't train staff,  they couldn't open on schedule anyways (falling into the "closed by order of the state" because, well, it's a place where people hang out in large numbers), so he's stuck on PTO then unemployment.

I've tried to reassure him -- first off, opening a new location for his company ain't cheap, and they paid to relocate him. He's not first on the chopping block, and the salaries of a few managers (the rest of the staff not being hired yet) is peanuts compared to what they've sunk into building this place, but that's pretty cold comfort, you know? And frankly, it's not like he could be working here -- their locations here just closed as Houston shut down all the same things.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #147 on: March 17, 2020, 11:30:47 AM

My doctor is doing a pretty decent job with this. They see a lot of elderly patients (it's Arizona), so they're saving the handful of tests for them. However, his assistant called 3 times yesterday to check on me, and he called me this morning to see how I was doing. They're only seeing sick patients at 3pm or later.

I'm in the spare bedroom 90% of the day, sleeping anywhere from 12-15 hours a day for the past 3-4 days. Still feel extremely crappy. No fever though. Weird ass time to come down with whatever the hell this is.

-Rasix
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: March 17, 2020, 01:31:53 PM

Sure you guys have seen this, but it gave me a chuckle:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1239624352305303552

"Don't be a spreader."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #149 on: March 17, 2020, 01:33:34 PM

The good: we are finally closing for staff as of tomorrow

The bad: I am one of 2-3 people who will continue to report as usual

booooo

The worst: I get to set up a lot of what enables everyone else to work from home
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #150 on: March 17, 2020, 01:44:13 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #151 on: March 17, 2020, 02:03:59 PM

The bad: I am one of 2-3 people who will continue to report as usual

Yep - the joys of being labeled IT. We are considered essential staff.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #152 on: March 17, 2020, 02:16:33 PM

I've been trying out the latest and greatest ramen place* near me since they opened in February and hot soups in general and spicy hot soups in particular give me a runny nose. So people have been looking at me funny while I'm blowing my nose awesome, for real

* they don't / didn't do take out so I skipped last week and they better change that policy if they want to stay in business
And they started offering take out today so my shopping list for this afternoon is now: allergy medicine, paper towels, zipper freezer bags and ramen for dinner.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #153 on: March 17, 2020, 02:19:29 PM

Talking about Italy, the situation is still in flux: experts are saying that high numbers will undoubtedly keep coming in for at least 5 or 6 more days, then we'll hopefully start noticing the effects of the (almost) total lockdown that was put in place between March 9th and 11th.

There are places where the R0 is higher, like in Lombardy, and the struggle is enormous, then the numbers are very "local" (for example, today it was a "good" day for my hometown of Modena, with only two new cases, 20 in the whole province). We're expecting Covid-19 to hit southern Italy harder in the coming days, because of all those idiots moving from the northern towns to get back to their parents while in panic mode a week or so ago.

The general population is reacting well, trying to adapt to this unprecedented situation. Sure, there are still idiots hanging out at the park together, or moving around for no reason: now, whenever you put your nose out of your home, you have to show this to the authorities if they stop you along the way (there are no fixed checkpoints, but lots of police cars moving around):

You can go outside only if:

- You are heading to work
- Iyou are in a "state of necessity" (going to the supermarket or drugstore, need to assist an elder, walk out the dog and similar situations)
- Health reasons (obviously unrelated to flu-like symptoms)
- you're heading back to your home from wherever you were before

Anyway, glad to see that France, Germany and the UK are finally coming to sense, or so it seems. I'm very proud of how our government reacted to this crisis (and I voted something else entirely back in the day) and the measures they're taking, so it's good to see these other foreign countries adopting very similar ones.

Keep your head up, Rasix  Hulk Rock

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:21:23 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #154 on: March 17, 2020, 02:37:47 PM

Welp, I may be screwed. The grandmother of a classmate of one of my kids is currently in the hospital with "unspecified viral pneumonia", her doctors think it is COVID but they can't get her tested. My kid was sick early last week with an unidentified virus, and my SO was really sick later in the week, we assumed from the same thing (they both tested negative for flu and bacterial infection). I was caring for the kid most of the time, so I'm very exposed to whatever it is.

Fucking irony if I get Coronachan because I wasn't paranoid enough. There were no known cases in the state, but if anyone should have known that didn't mean the state was clear, it's me.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 17, 2020, 02:40:57 PM

Keep us posted. Remain in light. Hopes and affection.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: March 17, 2020, 02:52:09 PM

Welp, I may be screwed. The grandmother of a classmate of one of my kids is currently in the hospital with "unspecified viral pneumonia", her doctors think it is COVID but they can't get her tested. My kid was sick early last week with an unidentified virus, and my SO was really sick later in the week, we assumed from the same thing (they both tested negative for flu and bacterial infection). I was caring for the kid most of the time, so I'm very exposed to whatever it is.

Fucking irony if I get Coronachan because I wasn't paranoid enough. There were no known cases in the state, but if anyone should have known that didn't mean the state was clear, it's me.

--Dave
Symptoms?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #157 on: March 17, 2020, 02:58:44 PM

Symptoms?
I felt a tickle in my throat a few times last week, and what feels like the beginning of a sinus infection today. Could be something else, could be psychosomatic from obsessing over the symptoms and epidemiology of COVID. Checking my temperature regularly, haven't had a fever. We have an oximeter for the kid's asthma, going to watch that as well.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #158 on: March 17, 2020, 03:01:58 PM

We're pulling for you, man.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: March 17, 2020, 03:07:58 PM

Symptoms?
I felt a tickle in my throat a few times last week, and what feels like the beginning of a sinus infection today. Could be something else, could be psychosomatic from obsessing over the symptoms and epidemiology of COVID. Checking my temperature regularly, haven't had a fever. We have an oximeter for the kid's asthma, going to watch that as well.

--Dave

We will all have to deal with some psychosomatic shit to various degrees in the coming weeks/months, virus or not: that sense of "weight" lingering on your chest along with some shortage of breath, which is (at least in the majority of cases, hopefully) not a sign of your lungs starting to act funny, but just anxiety creeping in, which is totally understandable and again, we'll just have to cope with it.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 17, 2020, 03:11:57 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm watching for fever and O2: They're not subjective, I can't fool myself into thinking they aren't what the machine says they are.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #161 on: March 17, 2020, 03:14:25 PM

The locked down my building today so no one can go in without having temperature checked for fever. Why this isn't happening all over the place I don't know.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: March 17, 2020, 03:34:10 PM

Learn the symptoms.  Dry Cough.  Shortness of Breath.  Fever. 

Learn the treatment protocol.  For most of us, it would be: Isolate yourself, watch Netflix, and try not to injure yourself masturbating too much (generally, if you draw blood, you've gone too far).  They specifically do NOT want most of us to go to the doctor is we're symptomatic unless we present significant impacts.  Keep the virus isolated.

Whether ill or healthy: Stay the fuck away from people with compromised health, whether from medications, medical issues, or age.  However, don't treat them like lepers - call them.  Video chat them.  Unlike most of us, they actually have something to fear.  Help them feel better - and a big part of that will be helping them avoid fear.

If you get it, and you do not have clear and obvious elevated health concerns (age, disease, medical issue, being an asshole with a karma bill coming to get yer ass), remember that you've got a significantly greater chance to die in an auto accident (1 in 77 in the US) than you do to die of COVID-19 (1 in 200) according to the best stats we have - which are based upon confirmed cases of COVID which likely mean that the 1 in 200 is far too high as a lot of people are bugging through this thing with just minor discomfort - and are likely not even reporting it because they're too afraid to admit to themselves they have it.

And if you have purchased more than two cases of TP in the last month - yes, you're an asshole.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 17, 2020, 03:42:27 PM

Colorado ordered all ski resorts in the state closed on Saturday. By Sunday morning, resorts elsewhere started closing like dominoes.

I was at Big Sky in Montana with my ski club and on Sunday morning they sent out a press release saying "we are closing at the end of business today, all resort owned retail and food outlets included." They are letting lodging guests stay until the end of their booked time (or this coming weeekend, whichever is earlier) but then are totally shutting down on Sunday. All the seasonal employees are being summarily laid off and kicked out of the staff housing at the end of the week as well.

My friend who was rooming with me and I had a car rental for the week rather than using the airport shuttle so we ended up driving back to Illinois in a mostly straight shot. To help keep myself awake as I was driving through MN on I-90 I counted the vehicles I encountered going the same direction as me. I had a total of 6 trucks and 4 cars between Sioux Falls, SD and the Mississippi river on the other side of MN. Sure, 1-5AM is a slow time on the interstate but I have never, even driving interstates that are low traffic even during the daytime gone 70 miles without seeing a single vehicle going the same direction before.

Everyone stay safe.

Also, an interesting note that was not publicized as far as I can tell: it appears that US cell carriers have opened up the networks you can roam on considerably. I am on Sprint and never have I had roaming coverage on a GSM carrier but on Sunday morning I was suddenly seeing AT&T LTE as the carrier with full signal in Montana rather than the spotty "Extended 3G" that I had been seeing the previous day. At a couple points I had AT&T 3G come up as the carrier while I was driving back.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:55:09 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: March 17, 2020, 04:14:12 PM

Sigh, yeah, my boomer father who does a lot of travel across all of Northern California as a sales/contract guy, is in full denial mode.  Talking to me about how our commie governor has the state on Martial law over just a few cases of the disease.  Trying to talk sense into him about the practical reasons this is serious, but going to take stuff closer to home for it to sink in I think.  Which I'm very afraid will be his significant other, who has some serious lung issues (hurray a life of smoking), who will 100% die if she caught it.

Really need some high profile GOP asshole to drop dead from this to at least maybe possibly get the fear of god into that group of people.

Your dad is a right winger right?

You might want to mention to him that Trump himself seems to be taking it seriously now (after earlier characteristically dismissive remarks).

So is Newt Gingrich. And I don't know if Buzz Aldrin is GOP, but he is an old geezer and he's quarantined himself -- "Lying on my ass with the door locked!"

I mean, it ain't just the California commies that are recognizing we have a problem.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: March 17, 2020, 04:19:29 PM

Italy is turning out to be the case to pay attention to. Another bad day but the key thing is that it wasn't a *worse* day. It was just as bad as the previous two days. The sequence of partial and then total lockdowns in Italy is having an effect.

People are not good at thinking counterfactually which is costly in this case. Because here I think the lesson has to be: imagine if Italy had just said, hey come on it, the water's fine, no biggie, go have dinner, ride your scooter, ciao.

Yesterday would have been a new peak. Today would have been a new peak. Tomorrow would have been a new peak. And the peaks would be so peaky that they would intensify the mortality because of no beds. There are going to be people after this all calms down who will not be able to see that what's being done right now if it's done right will save an enormous number of lives.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: March 17, 2020, 04:40:21 PM

Yeah, something that you always have to remember is that, when talking about daily counts, especially when measures are being actively taken and frequently change,  you're not talking about present time or future, you're talking about what happened in the *past*.

And unfortunately, 10 days or so ago people in Milan, for example, were still actively meeting, dining and socializing in the popular "Navigli" area and so on and so forth.

While a total lockdown was immediately put in place in the Codogno and Vo' Euganeo areas at the beginning of the outbreak (the so called "red zone"...By the way, as of yesterday there were no new cases in Vo' Euganeo, and I think it's the same for Codogno, but they're very tiny towns, approx. 3,300 and 15,000 people), with "carpet swabbing" throughout the entire population (asymptomatics too, of course, something they aren't doing anymore here in Italy), the government then decided to take a "step by step" measure, because they explicity mentioned that they couldn't realistically expect a brutal lockdown (I'm talking about Wuhan style) to be so easily understood and digested in such a short time.

Not that it took 2 or 3 weeks, we're talking 10 days max between the progressively limiting lockdowns. I mean, for us next step would be fixed checkpoints with the Army in place. with something akin to your U.S. FEMA starting to bring food to the general population. I REALLY hope it won't come to that, but like I said, it seems that we're more or less doing our homework right now :P

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 17, 2020, 04:58:04 PM

For the most part, people started locking down pretty much immediately here in Ireland. There has been a LOT of pushback on shutting the pubs, but in reality pubs and hotels were shutting themselves before official orders came through. I went to my favourite Restaurant last Thursday because, and I said this to the woman who owns it, I wasn't sure if that night would not be the last opportunity for a while.

Of course you had those gobshites in Dublin who swarmed the Temple Bar nightclub district on Saturday night, but out in the country it seems to have been a very orderly shutdown. Rural people here are crap in some ways but in others they are very pragmatic. If it has to be done they dig in and do it, no messing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:00:03 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #168 on: March 17, 2020, 06:22:20 PM

Australian government announcement today:

- travel advice raised to maximum "Do Not Travel" for entire world

- "prepare for at least six months of disruption to daily life"

- non-essential gatherings of 100 or more people indoors are banned

Meanwhile we continue to draw a curve of stupid:

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: March 17, 2020, 06:41:19 PM

The more stupid, the longer the pain of quarantine/social distancing is going to be, generally.

Or the longer the bleeding out of any health care system--government or private--will be. If if you'd been spending some gross extra amount of GDP on health you might have found this pretty overwhelming (South Korea). But fuck, the worst case scenarios in the US and a few other places are just fucking awful if everyone just goes out and does whatever they want for months.
schild
Administrator

Reply #170 on: March 17, 2020, 06:41:50 PM

lol at all the 15s and 20s k
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: March 17, 2020, 07:08:22 PM

69 more cases confirmed in Ireland, bringing the total to 292.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #172 on: March 17, 2020, 11:46:50 PM

lol at all the 15s and 20s k

That was our "It's going to be just fine. We have it totally under control." [Donald Trump, January 22]
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #173 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:19 PM

69 more cases confirmed in Ireland, bringing the total to 292.

nice
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: March 18, 2020, 12:22:40 AM

DK now forbidding gatherings of 10 or more people publicly.  All retail and restaurants closed except for food stores, pharmacies and take-away.  Strict regimen required for such places to continue to operate (spaceing, gloves, sanitizers, etc.).  Online shopping already under obvious pressure, virtual lines forming, out of stock, extended delivery, etc.  I expect the next 48 hour or so is a good time to ignore it all.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: