Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  (Read 250933 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #420 on: March 31, 2020, 07:09:46 PM

Man, there's always one black guy in there to fuck up the curve for the rest of us.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #421 on: March 31, 2020, 08:25:13 PM

Excellent illustrative back-of-a-napkin calculations and animations from math youtuber 3blue1Brown.

Gives easy-to-visualize examples of what different prevention measures would look like, and what results they might have.
That was interesting, thanks for that.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #422 on: April 01, 2020, 01:26:19 PM

Did Corona kill the yearly April fools thread? 

Maybe I can get it kickstarted with a crossover post:

https://www.surrogate.tv/game/toiletpaperclaw
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #423 on: April 01, 2020, 02:32:22 PM

Work has officially extended the work from home period to May 4th.

I'm not sure I'll survive being home for that long. 

And I'm mostly upset that my office plants will be dead by the time we're let back into the office because I completely forgot about them when considering what I needed to bring home for the extended WFH period. 

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #424 on: April 01, 2020, 02:37:44 PM

So working from home is nice enough. I got out of the shower and went to the bedroom to put my clothes on, grabbed my sweatpants and looked over at the wife and said, "Putting on the uniform." Haven't heard her laugh like that in awhile.

I'm also getting to know all her co-workers thru just overhearing all her meetings. Dunno if I can take having two groups of office people in my house all the time.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #425 on: April 01, 2020, 02:40:49 PM

2 work from home parents with meetings. Kid with online class meetings. I've taken a few scrum meetings in the spare bedroom.

This house needs some damn sound proofing. It's a fucking cacophony of keyboard clicks and random voices.

-Rasix
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #426 on: April 01, 2020, 02:51:29 PM

I think with the wife and daughter now working from home as well I feel a little less ridiculous about buying an over sized house, then again if things get real bad my oversized mortgage isn't going to be very forgiving.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #427 on: April 01, 2020, 02:59:42 PM

Work has officially extended the work from home period to May 4th.

We're going till June.  I won't be surprised if it gets extended further.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #428 on: April 01, 2020, 03:21:14 PM

I have a 4 year-old and teach webinars/design self-paced training professionally so anything involving audio has been tricky.  Instead of working in my house I've moved everything to my backyard shed and I work from there.  Even dragged a 100 ft. ethernet cable out here.  Using my webcam to show everyone my "luxurious studio" has turned into a nice icebreaker.

The weather is awesome right now and the only problem has been a plague of crane flies, but they mostly leave me alone.  I can't keep it up into late May/June though...it's going to be hot down here.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #429 on: April 01, 2020, 03:43:01 PM

Looking like we are going to extending our WFH until at least May as well.

Personally having half day in office and half day out is pretty darn nice. Only real issue is I setup my office in the basement which has a weird echo effect when I have people on speakerphone.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #430 on: April 01, 2020, 03:46:38 PM

They removed even the skeleton crew from my office. I'm IT so still working from home but I no longer have to go into the office. There isn't even a date set for when it might end. I don't expect to go back until at least mid-May or later.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: April 01, 2020, 04:07:52 PM

I think the call back in places that have had their early wave will be June 1. Unfortunately what's going to fuck that up is redstate bullshit, much as predicted. Florida in two weeks is going to be worse than NY; Missouri's urban areas too. And so the danger is going to be that places where folks have been sheltering--and thus NOT gaining herd immunity--is that insane fuckheads from places where folks refused to shelter are going to reignite everywhere before we really get over the top in terms of medical capacity and therapies. So what's going to happen in a place like NYC is that businesses will reopen but mostly people with money to burn will still be hiding (or at the country home). In some businesses and institutions, the lawyers will be advocating to continue shutting down or face liability suits--but probably the sane CEOs will look at the balance sheet and figure that being sued by old guy employee #2 is less expensive than staying completely closed.

The US is going to be the absolute worst case scenario of this thing except maybe for countries that essentially have no health care sector or government authority to speak of.

Maybe.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #432 on: April 01, 2020, 05:19:08 PM

Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne passed today due to this, age 52.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: April 01, 2020, 06:21:26 PM

Nearly everyone in my office is WFH, though we have 6 or so other IT people to handle laptop builds (which are still being handed out) and random people with PC's who don't have laptops yet :(

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
schild
Administrator

Reply #434 on: April 01, 2020, 07:25:36 PM

So working from home is nice enough. I got out of the shower and went to the bedroom to put my clothes on, grabbed my sweatpants and looked over at the wife and said, "Putting on the uniform." Haven't heard her laugh like that in awhile.

I'm also getting to know all her co-workers thru just overhearing all her meetings. Dunno if I can take having two groups of office people in my house all the time.

my go outside and work from home outfits are, I've discovered, the exact same
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: April 01, 2020, 07:32:40 PM

My work at home outfits are not outfits. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #436 on: April 01, 2020, 07:57:01 PM

neither are mine :somediscordemojiicantusehere:
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #437 on: April 01, 2020, 09:13:11 PM

Doing webex meetings on the terrace. It's almost the only outside time I've had.

Going to walk the three miles to my place to grab some other supplies and wave at my wife from afar before walking back up to my mother's place for a few more days. She's almost up to walking with a cane and it's almost been 15 days since she got out of the hospital. I'm working from home probably;y until mid may either way.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: April 01, 2020, 11:15:28 PM

My "don't leave my house or interact with people for 2 weeks" timer keeps getting reset.

Saturday I needed to go to the hardware store for the tank fill mechanism for my toilet which only decides to fill on its own after flushing about 10% of the time.
Sunday, I had a hardware update issue at work that required me to go into the server room in my office to reseat something.
Monday, I had to visit our other datacenter on campus to resolve the same issue on another piece of the same model hardware.
Tomorrow or Friday I will need to go into the datacenter to replace a failed disk in one of our production VM hosts.

I might make it to 14 days in a row once by the time the stay at home order is lifted.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: April 02, 2020, 12:31:52 AM

What's the thinking about a 2 week timer for yourself?  I mean....it is more about what is happening out there, right?  You could successfully lock yourself in for 2 weeks, but then what?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #440 on: April 02, 2020, 12:40:42 AM

Maybe he means not spreading it if he's infected but asymptotic?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: April 02, 2020, 05:44:36 AM

What's the thinking about a 2 week timer for yourself?  I mean....it is more about what is happening out there, right?  You could successfully lock yourself in for 2 weeks, but then what?

Mainly to see if I can do it without becoming convinced my soap is an ice cream bar.

Maybe he means not spreading it if he's infected but asymptotic?

Also this.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: April 02, 2020, 06:45:10 AM

I've gotta say if it's the latter... going out for any reason that's not an emergency is pretty shitty to do to everyone you came into contact with...

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: April 02, 2020, 06:52:25 AM

I've gotta say if it's the latter... going out for any reason that's not an emergency is pretty shitty to do to everyone you came into contact with...

I am only running under the assumption we all should be under that I got it at some point and I need to be careful to avoid other people.

And I am super careful about wearing gloves, not touching my face, washing my hands, etc.

Fuck I wipe down every single surface I touch with clorox wipes on my way out of the office when I am forced by circumstances outside of my control to go in.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: April 02, 2020, 08:51:11 AM

I mean I assumed that you didn't actually have a reason to think you've been exposed but putting a 2 week timer on yourself and then going out (or resetting it anytime you've come within 2m of another human being) seems totally ineffective and a pretty good way to go insane why so serious?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:03 PM

This is going to be a pretty shitty couple of weeks when many people that were working so hard to stay safe realize that the assholes out there that were being ignorant infected them despite their precautions.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #446 on: April 02, 2020, 07:14:19 PM

At this point, every random asshole, and every idiot relation and friend that isn't as paranoid as you are, is a loaded gun pointed at your most at risk acquaintance or relative. Act accordingly. We're passing the point where you can go outside with a reasonable presumption of not crossing paths with a carrier.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #447 on: April 02, 2020, 07:16:29 PM

We long ago passed that point.  Assume everyone has it but you, and also that you have it and nobody else does (but will die if they get it).

In other news, Apple is doctoring.

https://www.apple.com/covid19

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #448 on: April 03, 2020, 04:35:20 PM

So, here in Italy we've reached the so called "plateau": numbers are stabilizing and/or decreasing all over the place, albeit at a very slow pace (deaths are still too many, but it will be the last number to decrease, unfortunately).

Lockdown is extended 'til April 13, but it will definitely go on 'til May 4th.

Our PM is starting to talk about the so called "Phase 2": start to actively hunt the virus, aggressively look for people who developed some sort of immunity and slowly re-open some non essential factories with much stricter safety measures in place; maybe some shops too, at least those which can assure proper social distancing (so, no restaurants, bars, disco, whatever).

Schools might get re-opened for a month and half for those students who have to undertake the overarching exam at the end of our fifth and final year of high school (the so called "esame di maturità"). Everyone else stays at home.
---

But it's also the phase everyone else, sooner or later, will face: start to get out again (at least in order to feed the family) and live together with Covid-19  while, hopefully, more focused drugs and therapies will be developed and tried out... 'til a vaccine is created.

It's gonna be a long, 18 month slog.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: April 03, 2020, 06:46:22 PM

There are a lot of wealthy people putting a lot of money into a gamble that businesses will be reopened and functioning by the end of summer.  NFL, movies, etc...

Regardless, I live in a state where the Governor thinks we're unique and we don't need a shelter in place order.  Still.  South Carolina is the Motel 6 of this thing - we'll keep the plague on for you.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: April 04, 2020, 05:38:34 AM

In 'just how stupid would you have to be' news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358

Mobile phone masts have been torched and engineers abused over "baseless" theories linking coronavirus to 5G.

I'm genuinely unsure if I have less respect for the idiots torching phone masts or the idiots putting quote marks around the work baseless.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:43:01 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #451 on: April 04, 2020, 08:03:47 AM

In that context, the quote marks around "baseless" are simply meant to indicate that an expert is quoted in the story saying the claim is baseless. They're not being used to question whether it's baseless.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: April 04, 2020, 08:40:17 AM

They've removed them now.

But they were there to report it as an opinion rather than fact. And they were just shitty journalism.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #453 on: April 04, 2020, 03:37:22 PM

So the house on the corner that has been flying a 'Women for Trump' flag for over a year now is staying true to stereotype and hosting a large gathering of people.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #454 on: April 04, 2020, 04:20:55 PM

So the house on the corner that has been flying a 'Women for Trump' flag for over a year now is staying true to stereotype and hosting a large gathering of people.
You should send them a gift box of kazoos and harmonicas.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19  
Jump to: