Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Eve Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eve Online  (Read 51205 times)
Meester
Terracotta Army

on: July 05, 2019, 12:11:57 PM

This topic is more for those crazed veterans who have stayed connected to this no-life spreadsheet simulator where you fly spaceships [RIP Old MMO's topics].

For the uninitiated its a one server 'game'[except China if that server still exists?] where you literally have thousands of players who inhabit thousands of systems at the same time and sometimes in battles. You control one spaceship and those spaceships are flown in a typically third person viewpoint [think Homeworld] and you can configure your spaceships in all kinds of variations and I cannot remember how many different spaceships there are [a lot]. The ones in the picture above represent the main races you get to choose [Gallente Federation, Caldari State, Amarr Empire, Minmatar Republic]. It is a pvp game with pve elements game where typically everything you do competes with other players in some form or another. To do certain things you need skillpoints that are trained over time and not by doing things [though you can also buy skillponts that are culled from other players]. It is also free to play but is primarily a subscription game so free to play [alpha] doesn't allow you to nearly so much as a subscription [omega]. You can pay for omega with in-game items [PLEX] but farming for them as an alpha would just leave you bored in the end so a subscription is really the way to go in the end.

Practically anything is allowed in the game such as scamming and spying and basically you choose what you want to do except where CCP [games creators] forbids it. CCP gets a lot of flack [with good reason] and there is some suspicion that they got lucky with Eve, however they still made the game so kudos there I guess. As a game Eve is not designed to be fair, those who have even a modicum of wits can survive even if it is at the bottom of the barrel. Playing this game for the pve is the quickest way to be disappointed though some people do that anyway be they miners etc though exploration is pretty good. There is high sec space which is safest [for most anyway], low-sec which generally has more pirate players with feeble enforcement from the ai police at the stargates, null-sec which is where there is no enforcement and players can build their space empires, wormhole space and abyssal space. Space ships you can fly include frigates [smallest class vessels], cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, capital ships etc etc. You can build space stations. There is so much to do it would take a lifetime to explain it all. It started in its beta really and since then has seen many empires rise and fall and it has a rich history maybe more than any other game. Best in-game economy of any game too. Video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPFII3ozSHI

Now the real reason I made a new Eve Online topic.

Instant local is being removed from null-sec! It will soon follow the wormhole space model.

https://www.eveonline.com/article/pu69gy/nullsec-local-blackout-incoming-during-july

There is also this very recent thing of Drifters running around null-sec and blowing people and bots up.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:43:59 PM by Meester »
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 02:45:55 PM

Where did the old EVE board go? I don't see it in the graveyard?
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 03:52:05 PM

Where did the old EVE board go? I don't see it in the graveyard?

You have to go multiple levels deep for old MMOs: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?board=50.0
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 04:13:11 PM

You have to go multiple levels deep for old MMOs: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?board=50.0

Yeah its there but posting in a Graveyard is probably not the best place for visibility especially for those few veterans on f13. Hell i'll post there anyway just in case.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 04:27:56 PM

I just wondered. It had been kept as a live forum for years for no good reason and I didn't even notice when it disappeared.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 01:08:29 AM

I would think that co-vert ops and hot drops will be the order of the day.  Apparently Hilmar actually played the game for the first time in a decade and found it stagnate and boring to play outside Wormhole space.

Seems like a Hail Mary plan to try and save the game - did it really take CCP this long to discover that 0.0 was decayed? Maybe the game needed T20 playing for Bob after all.

I can't imagine Goonswarm would let me back in after the rest of the corp joined Pandemic Legion (and I kinda insinuated that The Mittani deserved a ban for something) , and no one seems to talk about PL anymore. Do they still exist?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 12:01:30 AM

and no one seems to talk about PL anymore. Do they still exist?

I think PL's light went into Horde, PL might be a PUBG alliance these days AKA Eve Offline. So yes they exist but not as anything remotely significant as they used to be.

Though since Goons and allies are currently wrecking shit in the north whether there would be anything for PL to return to is another matter [though I imagine some enterprising PL managed to unachor and save a few citadels]. SniggWaffe of WAFFLES is alive.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:50:09 AM by Meester »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:15:55 AM

My eye twitch is back.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 07:12:06 AM

Bat Country is in Pandemic Horde at the moment.  I don't think anyone from here is still playing with them, but a few of us still hang out in the corp Discord channel and it would make a decent home for anyone looking to get back into the game.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 03:00:22 PM

Recently in EVE Online....Surgical Strike Update was released.

Resilient Capsuleers,

The quest for a healthy Capital ecosystem continues with a massive update to Capital survivability, resistance modules, and more in the Surgical Strike update, coming this April!

As outlined in the recent Ecosystem Outlook blog, bold changes are being made across EVE in the search for diversity and new exciting options for pilots. Surgical Strike will bring Capital survivability more in line with the rest of New Eden, reduce the overwhelming power of logistics, make adjustments to some long-standing powerhouses in the Subcapital meta, and begin to establish more payoff for getting up close and personal with your enemies. Let’s get into it!

Resistance Modules

The biggest change coming in this update is a 20% reduction in the power of all modules that increase shield or armor resistances. That means energized plating, armor coating, armor hardeners, shield hardeners and shield resistance amps. This will lead to a drop across the board in effective hit points, but the more slots a ship has devoted to resists, the more important the change becomes. There is excitement here about this approach because not only does it lower Capital survivability, it also diminishes the overall power of logistics and will make modules focused on speed and damage a more attractive option. The hope is to see bloodier fights, less stalemates, and a huge cross-sectional shift in the fitting meta. This kind of shake up rewards those that adapt quickly, so get to theory crafting!

Alongside this update to resistance module power, tiericide for shield and armor resist modules is also underway, which you may have noticed beginning to appear on the Singularity test server. The tiericide adjustments are very small in scale and much more focused on sensible naming and organization of the modules in these groups, but you can expect the 20% reduction to be applied after the stats currently in place on Singularity for modules are affected by tiericide changes.

Capital Updates

There is a vision for a Capital ecosystem with clear escalation steps based on distinct roles for each class. Part of that vision relies on moving Super Carriers and Titans away from all-purpose damage to a specific focus on Capital and structure killing. You will have seen one big step in this direction recently with the removal of High Angle Weapons from Titans. Now, substantial changes are being made to Super Carriers as well, but there is also an acknowledgement that Super Carriers need more to set them apart from Titans and Dreadnaughts as Capital killers before their Subcapital damage application can be fully removed. For now, their fighter tube loadout will be rearranged to promote more class diversity in your local Super umbrella and decrease long range Heavy Fighter damage application.
Capital changes in this update include:

Removal of support fighter tubes for Super Carriers with the addition of one extra Heavy Fighter tube
    Bonuses to XL plates and extenders for Super Carriers reduced to 200% and for Titans reduced to 300%
    Long Range Heavy Fighter explosion radius increased 50%
    Short Range Heavy Fighter speed increased 50%
    Fighter bay size increased for Aeon and Wyvern
    Capital Capacitor Boosters limited to 1 per ship

Subcapital Updates:

Fleet diversity and an evolving meta are things that are always encouraged, and in that interest there is a small package of Subcapital updates coming as well. The resist module power reduction will naturally favor Tech II hulls slightly, and as these ships already dominate the fleet meta, Battleships will be given an upgrade to keep them competitive while adjusting critical bonuses for ships like the Muninn, Loki, and Eagle.

All Tech I Battleships - which includes faction hulls - receive 10% increase to base hp and 30% increase to scan resolution
    Muninn bonuses to damage and optimal range reduced to 5% per level
    Eagle max velocity reduced to 190 and powergrid reduced to 950
    Loki offensive subsystem bonuses to projectile optimal range, fall off and tracking reduced to 5% per level and powergrid reduced to 550
    Legion powergrid reduced to 625
    Deimos bonus to hybrid damage from Heavy Assault Cruisers skill increased to 7.5% per level, powergrid increased to 1100 and CPU increased to 380

Additionally, damage from bombs will be reduced by 20% to roughly match the loss in effective hp associated with the resist module change. Bomb hp will also be reduced by 20%.

Brawler's Paradise

Over the years, as fleet commanders and elite PvPers across New Eden have refined their skills, it has become more and more difficult to capitalize on the supposed benefits of short-range ships. Gone are the days of blaster slug fests on Lowsec gates between plated Megathrons and Armageddons. While a return to such primitive times is not expected, there is a desire to begin exploring new rewards and tools for those brave pilots who are willing to get up close and personal. As a first step in this direction, there will be an increase to the damage of all close range Tech II ammo (excluding exotic plasma) by 15%. This means Conflagration, Hail, Rage, and of course Void will all be packing an extra punch.

The Surgical Strike update will be live on the test server very soon, so keep your eyes on EVE social media platforms for that announcement. Its deployment to Tranquility is expected on 15 April.

This is a big step towards our long term capital vision, but we have also planned further updates later in the year to continue the journey towards a vibrant EVE ecosystem.

Until then, fly safe o/

And coming later next month to the relief of a hell of a lot of people is Forsaken Fortress.

Greetings Capsuleers,

Coming 26 May, further improvements to the gameplay mechanics of structures will be introduced in the Forsaken Fortress update as part of the Eclipse Quadrant.

Since the introduction of structures with the Citadel expansion, thousands of structures have been built in New Eden. Many of these structures have been used for a variety of purposes by players, with some structures acting as Headquarters, key strategical beachheads, or even as logistical warehouses. For some of these structure deployments, their use may have dwindled over time to the point where they are no longer maintained by their owners. As a result, these forsaken fortresses proliferate in space as ambitions, conflict, and entrepreneurs rise and fall in New Eden. Cleaning up your sovereign space by removing these abandoned structures can be a frustrating experience, a topic that has been brought up by the community and CSM alike.

In the continuing journey to frequently iterate, there will be changes made following the last structure update of Kicking Over Castles, from 10 December 2019. The Forsaken Fortress update will introduce a new structure state - 'Abandoned' - alongside the existing Full Power and Low Power states to formalize the mechanics of structures being abandoned. This will apply to both standard structures and FLEX structures. In the update, structures will transition from Low Power to the new Abandoned state if they have not consumed any fuel from service modules for 7 days.

When a structure enters the Abandoned state, the following structure abilities will no longer be available to it:

No Reinforcement Phases - The structure will have no reinforcement phases, meaning it can be destroyed in one session (Damage caps will still be in effect. If a structure is currently in a reinforced state at the moment the abandonment timer expires, then that reinforce timer will operate as normal but no new reinforcement phases will be allowed).
No Tethering - The structure will not provide any tethering assistance.
No Asset Safety - Items will not be put into asset safety when the structure is destroyed (Wormhole located structures will continue to operate with no asset safety for all states).

Onlining a service module in a structure that is in the Abandoned state will return it to Full Power, restoring its abilities provided that the structure is not damaged, as service modules cannot be onlined for a damaged structure. If a structure survives through a Hull Vulnerable repair cycle and transitions back to the Shield Vulnerable phase, then the service modules will automatically attempt to re-online themselves, provided there is fuel available to do so. This is important in order to ensure that a Full Power structure with sufficient fuel cannot be prematurely forced into the Abandoned state by pushing it through a hull reinforcement and then allowing it to repair.

Two diagrams are included below that detail the new flow of structure states (Full Power, Low Power, Abandoned) and the phases (Shield, Armor, Hull Vulnerable).

Standard Structures:

FLEX Structures:

As mentioned earlier, this update to structure mechanics follows the topics and discussion in the community from the previous update to structures - Kicking Over Castles. As the journey in 2020 with EVE in Quadrants continues, it is hoped that these regular balance changes, game health improvements, and permanent meta changes continue to excite you and bring about further discussion to engage in.

These changes will be coming live to the Singularity test server soon, so keep your eyes peeled for further communications on that from the EVE social media channels.

Until then, Capsuleers, fly safe o7

If you'd like to discuss this dev blog please join the forum discussion to give us your thoughts!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:28:34 PM by Meester »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 10:54:57 AM

I just recently installed this game to play.

I uninstalled it before I launched it.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 01:50:47 PM

I just recently installed this game to play.

I uninstalled it before I launched it.

Cool story bro.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 02:22:17 AM

The only way to win is not to play.

Hic sunt dracones.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 09:36:26 PM

Been winning Eve but it seems there is fun to be had atm turning high-sec systems into low and null sec. Its tempting to log-in but CCP have a way of drawing you in and then screwing up in some manner so we get back to square one so i'll wait a bit.

Eve Zenith trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUAu07ZNKKQ
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 10:22:34 PM

Eve Echos on Android and Crapple is about to release. I played with the beta versions and don't hate it.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 04:35:49 PM

Eve and Elite both seem to me like: the time to really invest was X time units ago, not right now.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 04:05:24 PM

Eve and Elite both seem to me like: the time to really invest was X time units ago, not right now.

This is a dumb argument and always has been imo, its akin to saying its not time to invest into sprinting because of Usain Bolt and that F1 drivers should just quit because of Lewis Hamilton.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 05:32:23 PM

So much of Elite is basically a solo experience, and the galaxy is so big, the only way that would be remotely true for it is if the only thing that satisfies you is being "first" somewhere blatantly obvious, or pure PvP. If the former, yeah, all the cool nebulae and the core and farthest points and such have been visited and are now cluttered with graffiti and empty beer bottles and cheetos packages.  If the latter, I suspect there are far better PvP games out there to go make a mark in.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 12:46:08 AM

If the latter, I suspect there are far better PvP games out there to go make a mark in.

Better pvp games possibly yet EVE pvp is up there with the best if not the best. There is a reason for that.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 01:33:28 AM

Time to invest in Eve is when you have infinite time.

Ultimately that's why I stopped. No one else I know of delivered on a game genuinely about the continuous interaction of thousands of players, but inevitably a game like that is dominated by how organised groups are within it, and that multiplies the impact of time spent.

I'd only recommend it to someone with a shit load of spare time, and a way in to a well organised group. And even then the entertainment value is in the player politics and organisation.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 02:53:34 AM

While the best part of EVE is its PvP, I suspect a lot of people still play it as a relaxing affair of space trading, mining and fighting mobs, in an ever evolving shared universe (EDIT: and with an ever present feeling of progress). Elite Dangerous is very similar but in many ways way less developed unfortunately (maybe because it's 10 years younger too), and it requires more active time since you can't idle or AFK as much as you do in EVE.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:22:35 AM by Falconeer »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 06:19:52 AM

I used to find running missions in high-sec while listening to music a very zen experience.  Not the most lucrative way to spend your time, but it was definitely calming after a long day.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 10:41:40 AM

Time to invest in Eve is when you have infinite time.

Ultimately that's why I stopped. No one else I know of delivered on a game genuinely about the continuous interaction of thousands of players, but inevitably a game like that is dominated by how organised groups are within it, and that multiplies the impact of time spent.

I'd only recommend it to someone with a shit load of spare time, and a way in to a well organised group. And even then the entertainment value is in the player politics and organisation.

It depends on your play-style, I have played it mostly solo for years and years and can easily join a faction warfare group whenever I want. Does it truly matter if null-sec is dominated by such and such if what you enjoy doing in-game isn't really affected by it? I'll compare it to Warframe [maybe a bad comparison?] but if I decide to play solo, it has no impact on what clans are doing well and visa- versa. Whoever is Conclave champion [lol] doesn't impact on what I ultimately perceive. Total War, some guy who is winning the tournaments doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the campaign map.

Back to EVE, I know that there are big groups that do big things and if they do those things then really they accept that there will be other big groups doing big things. I accept EVE as a whole and accept being a small cog in a big machine. Do I care occasionally what they do in-game affects what I am doing? As a whole no because that cause and effect is one of the attractions. It is part of the vision of EVE.

Niarja has also gone into Stellar Reconnaissance. Glory for Triglav!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 04:26:43 PM

Some good arguments (and I've been in both EVE and Elite, EVE for a while). But you know, "what a dumb opinion" is a fantastic way to confirm the opinion being right in the first place.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 11:06:36 AM

I've actually redownloaded it a couple of days ago and it's still good but with actually lots of improvements that are drawing me in again. And I haven't even looked at PvP.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 11:10:48 AM

When I went back to Eve for a year and a half I cared not a fuck for the big alliances, and the Newbie corp I stayed in (an Amarr one) had a number of old vets in it that had basically said "a pox on all their houses" and had created a character to do their own thing after basically nuking their old characters. One new guy said after we had a story swapping session that we all sounded like we were suffering from PTSD.

Anyway I did explorations and Wormhole hopping and really enjoyed it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 03:33:20 PM

But you know, "what a dumb opinion" is a fantastic way to confirm the opinion being right in the first place.

Im not sure why saying that would prove me incorrect. The saying 'opinions are like arseholes, everyone has them' is apt really, an opinion is not proof of anything. The proof that it is 'dumb' is shown in the world around you. If everyone thought they could not achieve something because Colonel Mustard got promoted first then no-one would ever achieve anything and we would regress into a rabble of illiterate barbarians. You are basically saying 'Don't progress because someone did it better'.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 06:43:07 PM

It's a classic, acknowledged problem of multiplayer game design, especially virtual worlds. EVE does better at it than most because the whole scene is so changeable, rather like life--but in any multiplayer game, especially with levels or accumulating resources, a new player can feel overwhelmed because almost everybody else has so much history in it, because so many resources have been accumulated, because new players can feel like there is no way to matter or compete.

The Usain Bolt comparison is in some ways a good one, really--at some point, competition genuinely starts to hit an upper limit of what's even possible given basic design constraints. (As demonstrated by the fact that almost all of Bolt's competitors have been busted over the years for illegal drug use.) But at least in that case there is some sense of constant renewal by the fact that the previous champions have an enforced limit to their domination of the game (they inevitably become slower, weaker, etc.), which doesn't pertain at all in long-running gameworlds except that long-time players (mostly) get bored.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 02:03:54 AM

I just got an email.

The Horn of Goondor has sounded. All of Eve is at the the gates of Delve and Goonswarm wants every supercapital they can get. if you can't play, please donate it.

I don't own any Super capitals. :(

Should I go back? CAN I go back? Would they take me back?

Hell, I think Endie and co are the ones invading Delve again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:22:52 AM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 06:39:59 AM

Get 'em!
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 09:20:28 AM

I just got an email.

The Horn of Goondor has sounded. All of Eve is at the the gates of Delve and Goonswarm wants every supercapital they can get. if you can't play, please donate it.

I don't own any Super capitals. :(

Should I go back? CAN I go back? Would they take me back?

Hell, I think Endie and co are the ones invading Delve again.

Yea I got the same email.  It's been a long time!

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 09, 2020, 11:24:36 AM

I've been back in the game for a few weeks now and having a blast. I've always thought EVE is one of the best video games ever made, but I find it much easier to play with lots of quality of life adjustments.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 08:06:52 PM

I have a bunch of capital ships and a supercap, and a >100M sp character that can fly everything with 5s across the board. I'm sorta tempted to go back, but my life is complex right now and I don't really have time for 6 hour fleet actions any more.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 12:39:22 AM

I saw the email today too. I only ever play sub-caps and don't know if I'd make the cut.

I saw Ultrapolite Socialites is still in GS, but after that shitfight, I wouldn't go back to its new management. Bat Country is in PL isn't it?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 03:49:01 AM

Far as I can tell, yes. And they are INVADING.

I don't have time for 6 hour fleets. I plan on sitting my FC 5 5 5 5 5 on the TCAG gate and boosting the gate camp. Maybe fly a an Inty around so if the battle goes too long I can just fly home.

Edit- Assuming of course, I'm allowed back in. Hell, penissmash is, maybe they'll take anyone.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:55:57 AM by Comstar »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Eve Online  
Jump to: