Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  (Read 78838 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 15, 2019, 11:10:01 AM

Did I miss some part of the story here where we actually have reason to think this is going to be a high quality thing?  I still picture it on the level of Shannara, the cast consisting of teenage underpants models and the whole thing coming off as an extended advertisement for perfume and hair products.

It’ll be a bunch of young nobodies put together with one well known has-been B lister or something.  Introducing Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Moraine, or some shit like that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #106 on: July 15, 2019, 11:19:24 AM

Of all the various high fantasy series, I’ve always felt WoT was one of the best.  It has excellent world building and an overall fun narrative/story for the first half.  You could absolutly adapt it into a great TV show.

Now, as for the odds of that happening, yeah, very little hope.  It would require a lot more effort and passion than I expect the people being hired to make this have.  But since I loved the series in my youth, will be fun to follow along to see how it turns out.

Also, if you were actually paying attention, you’d see the very first post was about them announcing Rosamund Pike as Moraine.  :p
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:22:23 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:14 AM

Hey, I never said I was paying attention.

And while familiar, I can’t say I can figure out where I have seen here before, so there is that.  B lister indeed.

Anyway, if they put quality people in charge and give it a big ass budget, it could work out.  Guessing they will do neither of those things. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 15, 2019, 01:02:36 PM

She was the evil “Bond Girl” in the one with Halle Berry as the not-evil one.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 15, 2019, 01:20:41 PM

I knew her from Gone Girl and World's End. I'm not sure what constitutes A list or B list, but she's a fairly big name. Certainly far beyond anyone they got for Shannara.

I am the .00000001428%
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #110 on: July 15, 2019, 02:02:57 PM

Minor news: David Moxness will be the Director of Photography/Cinematographer:

http://www.thedailytrolloc.com/2019/07/david-moxy-moxness-wheel-of-time.html

Some of his previous works (taken from the linked article):

Whiskey Cavalier (2019) 6 Episodes
Leathal Weapon (2016-18) 18 Episodes
The Kennedys After Camelot (TV Mini-Series) (2017) 4 Episodes
Forever (2014-15) 8 Episodes
Graceland (2014) 11 Episodes
The Tomorrow People (2013-14) 13 Episodes
Revolution (2012-13) 10 Episodes
Fringe (2011-12) 16 Episodes
The Kennedys (TV Mini-Series) (2011) 8 Episodes
Smallville (2006-2007) 13 Episodes
Dead of Summer (2016)
When the Bough Breaks (Movie) (2016)
Minority Report (2017)

Latest news from Randland (taken from Twitter's "Weekly Wheel News". A must read  why so serious?):
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:04:33 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 16, 2019, 07:39:24 AM

You were right to spoil that. I hope I never have to see that again.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 17, 2019, 01:11:13 AM

I knew her from Gone Girl and World's End. I'm not sure what constitutes A list or B list, but she's a fairly big name. Certainly far beyond anyone they got for Shannara.

I mean, Shannara had motherfucking Crixus.  Who is admittedly a B lister at best, but fairly recognizable?  I don’t know, I am just blowing shit out of my ass anyway and this is destined to suck.

Unless it doesn’t suck, in which case I want to also formally predict that it will be amazing.  That way my bases are covered.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: August 14, 2019, 09:35:41 AM

The Two Rivers fellas has all been cast (official headshots from casting):

Marcus Rutherford is Perrin Aybara:

Barney Harris is Matrim Cauthon:

Josha Stradowski is Rand al'Thor:

--------------

But wait....There's more!

Zoe Robins is Nynaeve al'Meara:

Madeleine Madden is Egwene al'Vere:

(from the official twitter page of the show: https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:01:08 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #114 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:42 AM

Those are very tuggable braids.  why so serious?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 14, 2019, 11:29:02 AM

The big three are nobodies, as expected, but they all look the part well enough. Nynaeve looks younger than I pictured her, but otherwise looks fine; Egwene doesn't match my mental picture, but she's closer than their pick for Moiraine.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:01 AM

They look ok.  Just hope they can act.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: August 14, 2019, 11:58:12 AM

The big three are nobodies, as expected, but they all look the part well enough. Nynaeve looks younger than I pictured her, but otherwise looks fine; Egwene doesn't match my mental picture, but she's closer than their pick for Moiraine.

Wasn’t Egwene’s whole thing that she was the blondest blonde girl who was ever blonde?  That’s the picture I have of her in my head anyway.  Rest of them look okay.  Rand looks about right, and Mat looks almost just as I pictured him.  Can’t quite tell about Perrin....don’t care about the skin color, just wonder if he has the stocky frame.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 14, 2019, 12:10:04 PM

Wasn’t Egwene’s whole thing that she was the blondest blonde girl who was ever blonde?  That’s the picture I have of her in my head anyway.  Rest of them look okay.  Rand looks about right, and Mat looks almost just as I pictured him.  Can’t quite tell about Perrin....don’t care about the skin color, just wonder if he has the stocky frame.

That is Elayne; anyways, dunno why but I always pictured Moiraine blonde instead of "dark haired".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:12:42 PM by Lucas »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 14, 2019, 05:11:00 PM

The Two Rivers fellas has all been cast (official headshots from casting):

Marcus Rutherford is Perrin Aybara:

Barney Harris is Matrim Cauthon:

Josha Stradowski is Rand al'Thor:

--------------

But wait....There's more!

Zoe Robins is Nynaeve al'Meara:

Madeleine Madden is Egwene al'Vere:

(from the official twitter page of the show: https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime)

FYI: You cannot embed pbs.twimg images anymore. People who do not have them in their cache will not see the images.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 14, 2019, 09:23:54 PM

I see them?

- Viin
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 15, 2019, 04:07:37 AM

Boy they aimed full tilt to piss off the incel/nerd/right wing crowd with those picks.  Looks good though, I like!

Though on the one hand they'll get hate from the right for casting a black woman in the role of a white character.  On the other, they'll get hate from the left for pushing the Angry Black Woman stereotype.   awesome, for real

Just need to cast a hot Asian for Min now.
Nynaeve's thing was that because of her natural ability in the power, she looked way younger than her age, and everybody thought she was just some young person who didn't look like the village wisdom (which was one of many things that pissed her off).  Also, I highly doubt anybody had the mental image of an Aboriginal Australian when reading about Egwene in the books, heh.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:13:17 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 15, 2019, 05:32:52 AM

Moiraine was featured, I think, as jet black hair and blue eyes on the cover of one to the books and therefore became so in my memories.  And being that that is my favorite kind of human female, I am sorta bummed they didn't go there.

I will never have a hissy fit like the incel/nerd kiddos about race issues, but I generally do prefer that characters look how they are described if they ever are explicitly described at all.  That doesn't mean failing to do so makes something bad, and sometimes mixing it up works.  But I am reminded of Fellowship of the Ring when that came out.  Everything and almost everyone looked exactly like I pictured it in my head, and that scored some huge points with me.  These might be cheap points to score, but it works....just makes a stronger and more immediate connection.

Edit:  To add a fair counter-argument:  GoT got Tyrion Lannister waaaaaaay wrong.  But that turned out for the better to be certain.  So who knows.

I am curious about what they do with Mat's ultimate love interest....isn't she like a 4 foot tall pitch black 11 year-old with a bald head or something like that?  That must be a casting challenge.  Wonder what the neckbeards will do say about that one.  

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:34:50 AM by Cyrrex »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 15, 2019, 05:47:08 AM

She's the same age as Aviendha according to the WoT wiki.  And yes, this what the general fan art shows of her, though I doubt it would be hard at all to find somebody:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:48:51 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: August 15, 2019, 12:41:19 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #125 on: August 15, 2019, 01:18:43 PM

I'm not sure we can keep it together as a species long enough for all those seasons to happen but I applaud them for their plans to cover the source material with the thoroughness that it deserves.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: August 15, 2019, 01:42:33 PM

I thought the nine moons chick was described as more Asian stereotype looking, and she is pictured on at least one of the book covers. The only “pitch black” people I remember were the people from the other side of the waste and people in the Age of Legends dream sequences.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 16, 2019, 05:15:51 AM

I always thought that also, but heyo, just looked it up and somebody grabbed several references in the book to how she looks.

“With an oath, he spun on his heel and found himself facing Tuon, her dark face, stern behind the long transparent veil” -Winter’s Heart (page 584 eBook)

“Tuon raised a peremptory hand, a black porcelain doll, but every inch a queen despite the shabby, too large dress” – Crossroads of Twilight (page 761 eBook)

“Tuon’s face was as smooth as a stern mask of dark glass.” – Crossroads of Twilight (page 155 eBook)

-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 16, 2019, 05:21:51 AM

There may be even more references out there, but she is supposed to be extremely small, extremely dark-skinned, extremely bald.  Looks like a pre-pubescent even though she might actually be of age.  The whole thing felt a little pervy to me when I read it, honestly.  I expect they will have to take some liberties.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 16, 2019, 05:48:52 PM

I always thought nynaeve was like just out of college age where the younger fast was just out of high school age at the start.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 17, 2019, 10:20:48 AM

Yeah, I thought she was just a year or two older than the others.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 17, 2019, 10:34:39 AM

Yeah, I thought she was just a year or two older than the others.

At one point in the books she actually mentions her age. I don't for the life of me remember the exact number or WHICH book it is in (which means it could be 2-3 years different than another time since the entire story covers like 4-5 years I think).

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 17, 2019, 03:52:19 PM

You guys know there's wikis for everything right? Nynaeve is seven years older than Egwene and four years older than Rand.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 17, 2019, 06:30:41 PM

And yet Egwene's actress looks 5+ years older than Nynaeve's.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: August 18, 2019, 02:48:42 AM

You guys know there's wikis for everything right? Nynaeve is seven years older than Egwene and four years older than Rand.

Yes, and we just managed to get you to look it up for us, so mission accomplished  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 18, 2019, 06:04:51 PM

That matches my thinking in the books (I think they actually described the age difference?). Egwene was always a few years younger than Rand. Hey, now there is a wiki entry.

I'm tentatively excited for this. I both love and hate this story. It was one of the first adult books I read in like 4th grade and I read it every time a new book came out with my dad. I love it for the characters and growing up with the story.

I hate it because some of the writing in the majority of the later books is utter trash and the story sucked.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: August 20, 2019, 12:49:45 AM

Just a small beef from me, but the guy they picked to play Perrin looks absolutely nothing like I would picture Perrin in my head.   The way I picture Perrin in my head, that guy would need to add about half again his own body weight in bulk and muscle to his frame to feel right.  Perrin is supposed to look like the kind of guy who would man handle that kind of guy without breaking a sweat.  Perrin is often described as being almost bear like in build, given that he is both tall and very heavily muscled.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:51:55 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: August 20, 2019, 06:47:07 AM

Perrin is a blacksmith so I had the same thoughts. But in Game of Thrones Gendry was a blacksmith and he wasn't a big dude and watching it I didn't think twice about it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 04, 2019, 09:19:17 AM

Daniel Henney is al'Lan Mandragoran  (can you see the pic?)

Link to the official tweet:
https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1169279471712497664
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:09:57 AM by Lucas »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #139 on: September 04, 2019, 10:07:55 AM

Daniel Henney is al'Lan Mandragoran  (can you see the pic?)
Only in some browsers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  
Jump to: