Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  (Read 78817 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #665 on: May 04, 2022, 06:09:34 PM

If they were discovering great talents that would have been left on the shelf, I'd buy that. But none of these actors look like Oscar contenders waiting for the right role.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: May 06, 2022, 01:57:29 PM

I'm just glad the character wasn't beaten by an ugly stick like so many of the cast.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: May 06, 2022, 02:25:22 PM

The thing is, if you look at their actor profile pics, none of them look as bad as they do in the show., and that includes Min. It was a conscious decision, so who knows what Aviendha will end up looking like. By the time we get to Berelain she will probably be buck toothed and riddled with acne.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: May 06, 2022, 03:47:00 PM

Jordan was moving HARDBACKS. Giant, Bible-sized hardcovers. He was moving them in boatloads. I can't think of one fantasy release during that time I worked there where we got more than say 1 or 2 hardcovers in inventory. We got BOXES of Lord of Chaos. We had people asking about that book a year before it was released. There simply wasn't anything in that time period in either fantasy or sci-fi that moved paper like that. For like 3-6 months after release, we couldn't keep them in stock more than a few days. Hell, he even released a hardcover that was some revolutionary war historical novel and it sold (though obviously not as well as WOT).

Late 90s, think it was 98, I had built a fairly popular (for that time & space) site w/forum dedicated to Age of Empires. And I remember in those forums is where I learned of WoT from a few passionate posters that swore it was the greatest fantasy novel ever.

I made to book 8 or 9 I think & just couldn't muster the wherewithal to continue.

Funny, at new church I started attending a few years ago, met a friend whose sister runs fan sites for Jordan (or Jordan "estate" or whatever I should term it) and is a regular attendee of Jordan-con (latest one just happened a few weeks ago).

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: May 06, 2022, 04:06:24 PM

I made to book 8 or 9 I think & just couldn't muster the wherewithal to continue.

Was that the one that spends the entire book showing the reactions of the entire cast of characters to the events of the book before? cause that's where i gave up too.

I am the .00000001428%
WayAbvPar

Reply #670 on: December 30, 2022, 01:31:24 PM

This monstrosity got me to do one final re-read (and got my wife to start on the audiobooks). I am about halfway through the last Jordan book (Knife Of Dreams) and can almost see the Sanderson finish line in sight.

SOOOOOOOOOOO many plot lines and characters that could be trimmed.

An incomplete list:
Anything in the White Tower (especially the search for the Black Ajah). Chapter after chapter of named Aes Sedai that I could not care any less about.
90% of the 'drama' with the Salidar rebels. They move from Salidar to outside of Tar Valon and do fuck all for several books.
99% of the Seanchan internal drama. It would be better if they were just outsider monsters.
Faile in Shaido captivity. This goes on for what, 3 books? Jesus wept.
115848% of Elayne and the fucking Andor succession. Everyone fucking knows she is going to be Queen, so why do we have so much shit about the rivals and plots and the strategies? NO ONE gives a fuck.

Seriously, you trim all this fat and knock out 70% of the endless descriptions of clothing, and this series is a tight 6-7 books.

Looking forward to hate watching the fuck out the rest of this debacle until it gets canceled.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #671 on: December 30, 2022, 09:26:17 PM

Yeah, basically agree with all that.  I'd also add Matt's entire expedition down to get the bowel of winds and the knitting circle stuff.  It wasn't bad, per say, but it lasted several books until conclusion.  Really should have cut that whole side plot much much shorter.

I don't know if I have it in me to even hate watch this.  They followed up with the new LOTR stuff and it's been torture for me to get through because it's so bland and cliche (if not out right terrible every time the Harfoots are on screen).  They are so bad at all this.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: December 31, 2022, 09:10:55 AM

This monstrosity got me to do one final re-read (and got my wife to start on the audiobooks). I am about halfway through the last Jordan book (Knife Of Dreams) and can almost see the Sanderson finish line in sight.

An incomplete list:
Anything in the White Tower (especially the search for the Black Ajah). Chapter after chapter of named Aes Sedai that I could not care any less about.
90% of the 'drama' with the Salidar rebels. They move from Salidar to outside of Tar Valon and do fuck all for several books.
99% of the Seanchan internal drama. It would be better if they were just outsider monsters.
115848% of Elayne and the fucking Andor succession. Everyone fucking knows she is going to be Queen, so why do we have so much shit about the rivals and plots and the strategies? NO ONE gives a fuck.

All correct. I could add a few of my own, but I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

Seriously, you trim all this fat and knock out 70% of the endless descriptions of clothing, and this series is a tight 6-7 books.

Imagine if he cut out the gender stuff too? "Women are all like ughhhhhhh." "Well men are all like fuhhhhhhhh." I think it would be down to a pamphlet at that point.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: December 31, 2022, 09:24:04 AM

An incomplete list:

All correct. I could add a few of my own, but I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

Imagine if he cut out the gender stuff too? "Women are all like ughhhhhhh." "Well men are all like fuhhhhhhhh." I think it would be down to a pamphlet at that point.

This is still the only book series I never finished after getting several books in. I think, ironically, I made it to Knife of Dreams but just was done when I realized I was skipping any chapter with the content listed above. When I got to book 4 or 5 of Song of Ice and Fire I called a friend of mine and said "George RR Martin is turning into Robert Jordan. So many useless characters and subplots I don't care about."

That same friend was super excited for the show and disappointed at how it didn't honor the books. I just couldn't be bothered.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WayAbvPar

Reply #674 on: January 23, 2023, 06:12:38 PM

I just posted about this in the book thread, but the jump from Jordan to Sanderson after Knife of Dreams is jarring. I didn't do a full readthrough when I read Sanderson the first time. It definitely feels weird and a bit off stylistically, but it more than makes up for it with actually interesting content. The first chapter about the storm is really creepy and well written.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: January 24, 2023, 07:49:50 AM

Part of the problem was that when Jordan knew he wouldn't make it to the end of the series he actually quit with all the bullshit and wrote a VERY good book. If Sanderson had come in after one of the previous eight or so shitty books it would have been like a breath of fresh air, instead Jordan left us with a sad reminder of what could have been.

I am the .00000001428%
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: January 24, 2023, 10:26:53 AM

Look I love Wheel of Time. It's my second favourite fantasy IP. But I actually preferred Sanderson's mechanical nuts and bolts writing to RJ's. I love Jordan's ideas and world and characters, etc, but his prose is shit. Several times upon rereading it, I've gotten lost. As in, I have no idea where exactly what is going on in a scene. Another thing, RJ looooooooves telling but is thin on the showing. There are countless times he will just narrate a character's attributes to the reader, but never actually shows us that in action. Meanwhile, I would pick it up immediately in Sanderson's work.

Also, Sanderson's work ethic, chef's kiss. Rj woulda had to have lived longer than Lews Therin to have finished the book even without being ill. My buddy and I are hoping ol Georgie boy lets GoT go over to Sanderson when he dies, fuck it, right now.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  
Jump to: