Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 05:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  (Read 15536 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:22 AM

The way this casting has been going, I expect Jennifer Cheon Garcia to be playing Verin.

Check out my podcast: ADD&D, Attention Deficit Dungeons & Dragons!
"I think it's time for a dose of F13 RED PILL MOTHER FUCKERS" ~cosapi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #246 on: January 23, 2020, 03:18:50 AM

Aaand one more, Peter Franzén (undisclosed role)

Hmm, I agree with Rendakor, he will probably play Lanfear.  Other, less likely choices: Ingtar, Child Byar, Gareth Byrne, Elyas Machera (with appropriate makeup).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: January 23, 2020, 07:40:11 AM

This is a pretty large cast for the beginning of the story. For this show to not be utter garbage you need to slowly build the show and expand to the giant unnecessary cast of characters Jordan put in there.

I thought the first book was pretty good. It's your typical first book of a hero's journey. Backwater start, a journey, explore the world and it's history through the eyes of an ignorant bumpkin. Expand the book's horizons as the main characters learn more.

By expanding it too quickly, you'll have a problem I think of confusing the audience.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: January 23, 2020, 08:10:27 AM

That's the route I thought they would take, but instead they're apparently making Moiraine the MC and introducing a million characters early on.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: January 24, 2020, 02:32:22 AM

Seems like a bad idea.  This is going to suck, is my guess.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: January 24, 2020, 07:27:25 AM

Yeah this is most definitely going to suck. Should be fun to watch burn.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: January 24, 2020, 03:55:57 PM

They are going the GoT route and just dumping you into the world.  I agree it is a bad way to go.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: January 25, 2020, 04:13:12 AM

You know, I would have been pretty confident if this was in the hands of HBO and some of their usual writers/showrunners. Here we have a case similar to the Witcher's one (first time as executive producer and main showrunner), but with a much, MUCH bigger cast at hand.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1988994/ (showrunner imdb profile)
--------

Also, there are rumors of the first season being just 8 episodes, and depending on the writing and how they want to structure the story, it might be a too low of a number.

I think some "groups" will only get a passing mention, like the Tinkers ("Tuatha'an") or even the Whitecloaks, no matter the fact they're quite important right from the beginning for the Perrin's storyline.

Still, they would need to get quite in-depth (they have to offer the audience a clear overview of these, at least) with:

1) Our merry fellowship that depart Emond's Field
2) The White Tower (even a bit of their internal dynamics, although not so much for S1)
3) The baddies (Dark One but the Forsaken as well, even if they're going to trickle them one by one).

With this in mind, it makes sense they already have a big cast, doesn't it? I think it will be more of HOW they're going to present them while spacing them so they don't create too much confusion.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: January 25, 2020, 09:39:11 AM

They are going the GoT route and just dumping you into the world.  I agree it is a bad way to go.

Especially since the majority of 2nd tier characters aren't very interesting at all. And depending on the book, some of the Tier 1 guys aren't either.

I'm looking at you Perrin/Faile stories.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: January 25, 2020, 11:23:05 AM

You know, I would have been pretty confident if this was in the hands of HBO and some of their usual writers/showrunners. Here we have a case similar to the Witcher's one (first time as executive producer and main showrunner), but with a much, MUCH bigger cast at hand.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1988994/ (showrunner imdb profile)
--------

Also, there are rumors of the first season being just 8 episodes, and depending on the writing and how they want to structure the story, it might be a too low of a number.

I think some "groups" will only get a passing mention, like the Tinkers ("Tuatha'an") or even the Whitecloaks, no matter the fact they're quite important right from the beginning for the Perrin's storyline.

Still, they would need to get quite in-depth (they have to offer the audience a clear overview of these, at least) with:

1) Our merry fellowship that depart Emond's Field
2) The White Tower (even a bit of their internal dynamics, although not so much for S1)
3) The baddies (Dark One but the Forsaken as well, even if they're going to trickle them one by one).

With this in mind, it makes sense they already have a big cast, doesn't it? I think it will be more of HOW they're going to present them while spacing them so they don't create too much confusion.
You really don't need to do the White Tower at all in S1. The only Aes Sedai that matters that early is Moiraine, and you can just have her giving bits of lore here and there about it. The decision to show Logain's gentling seems to be the worst one they've made, since it's going to add a whole bunch of characters for something that doesn't really matter much early.

They only encounter what, 3 forsaken in book 1? Ishamael in Rand's dreams, plus the two mooks who get killed at tEotW; Ishamael is important, but the latter two aren't so they can just be nobodies because they'll be in one scene then never heard from again. Beyond that you just need Padan Fain and some CGI monsters to cover the rest of the early villains.

Perrin and Egwene's sidestory en route to Caemlyn is the biggest character bloat; Elyas, the tinkers, the Whitecloaks, etc. The tinkers don't really matter for a long time, but the Elyas/wolves/Whitecloak dynamic is basically all of Perrin's character (aside from his awful wife) so cutting any of that leaves him rudderless.

I'd probably cut all of the Shienar stuff from book 1, too; I'd bring them out of The Ways outside Shienar and just show it in the distance with the CGI trollocs approaching. Rand can still save the day, and they can introduce the Shienarians in S2 when some of them start to matter.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: January 25, 2020, 03:11:37 PM

They would be smart to really keep the scope of the whole story hidden until season 2. You want to pull an audience in with a simple story about a kid getting caught up in saving the world. You need to tell the story of Random from Two Rivers and him "defeating the dark one" in season 1. Cut a few wandering split ups of characters, make it 10 episodes.

Then if the show is well done and popular? Then you start bringing in everything else.

You need to basically do what A New Hope did.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: January 27, 2020, 03:16:02 PM

Confirmed: Jennifer Garcia Cheon Warn will play Aes Sedai Leane Sharif, of the Blue Ajah (NSFW?):

I approve  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Speculation: she hasn't mentioned the most common "title" that goes along with Leane in the earlier books. Perhaps another confirmation that the show might cover  some of the material in the "New Spring" prequel novel.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" Visible Spoilers Thread  
Jump to: