Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Baldur's Gate 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  (Read 56127 times)
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

on: June 06, 2019, 09:33:04 AM

Announcement trailer

Made by Larian Studios.

Looks like it's going to be a watered down version of 5th Edition.  Online multiplayer.  Set 100 years after BGII.  On Google Stadia for reasons.  Mindflayers.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/larian-studios-shares-its-vision-for-baldurs-gate-3-interview
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:42:15 AM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:41 AM

I must gather my party before not giving a shit.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:19:56 AM

Note: it's not a Stadia exclusive.

Larian is great, but I'll reserve judgement until there's something other than just a cinematic teaser.

-Rasix
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:31:18 AM

As long as it's not a Stadia exclusive.

Now I want to fire up BG.  Where did I put that Enhanced Edition...
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:32:20 PM

I must gather my party before not giving a shit.

Useful contribution.

I love the BG games and really like D:OS, so I'm very excited. I hope they make a great game.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 07:22:26 AM

Holy shit, I love those crazy belgians so much  awesome, for real awesome, for real Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4v6hC_rjM  (BG 3 Community Update #1).

Anyways, we might get something more pretty soon, specifically during PC Gamer's "Gaming Show" at E3 (Monday June 10th, 1pm EDT/6pm CET). Sometimes, those gaming show segments are just interviews, but hey, they might sneak in at least 2-3 screenshots (I would be pretty surprised to see some gameplay already).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 07:23:56 AM

Hmm, so its not going to use any edition.  It’s going to be Larian creating their own ‘D&D’ inspired system. Which sure, can be fine, but for me a big part of playing the Baulder’s Gate games is getting a chance to play with PNP D&D in all its wonky glory in video form, though all 20 levels (especially since I will never in my life sit down long enough to do that with the actual PNP game).  This sort of sounds like they are making D:OS 3, with a D&D re-skin.  Pretty bummed.

Edit:  Ok, maybe stand corrected.  One article I read said they had tried to translate the rules, but it didn’t work, so they were just doing their own interpretation.  But then I found another with more info about that response:

There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."  

This interpretation should still be more true to the tabletop RPG than its predecessors, however, capturing the feel of D&D even if it's not borrowing every single system and rule. Some of this is because of a difference in technology. Black Isle faced a lot of limitations that Larian doesn't. The studio has invested heavily in this side of things, as well as in staff, who now number in the hundreds. Internally, 200 people are working on Baldur's Gate 3, while another hundred are working on it externally.

Missing a rat 15 times in a row with your giant club is a BG tradition!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:36:26 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 08:06:24 AM

Playing the original Baldur's Gate in the last few years convinced me that the D&D rules are really really shit. They were great in the vacuum of the '80's, but generally speaking, they are just shit. There are so many better systems for PNP, and especially for video games.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 08:07:14 AM

Missing a rat 15 times in a row with your giant club is a BG tradition!

LOL, yeah :).

There is another interesting interview that goes a little more in-depth when it comes to the transition from 2nd to 5th edition and the translation to the computer screen:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/06/baldurs-gate-3-announced-from-the-creators-of-divinity-original-sin/
---

Their approach makes sense: they take a look at the various PnP game systems the 5th editions offers and see what can be translated to a *modern* computer game and how. *Modern* in the sense that, at least by reading these first interviews, WoTC gave them much more flexibility and "carte blanche" than expected, or so it seems.

If you think about it, in 1998 those of us who were 20+  and played CRPGs since the eighties were excited because BG was seen itself as a "renaissance" of the Gold Box games, which were sometimes a 1:1 translation of the PnP modules.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 09:46:03 AM

Playing the original Baldur's Gate in the last few years convinced me that the D&D rules are really really shit. They were great in the vacuum of the '80's, but generally speaking, they are just shit. There are so many better systems for PNP, and especially for video games.

Totally agreed, the games are unplayable given the advances we've made in the genre today.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 02:11:44 PM

If any other company was doing this I wouldn't give a shit but the Original Sin games are far superior isometric rpg's than Baldur's Gate 1+2.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 08:09:21 AM

If any other company was doing this I wouldn't give a shit but the Original Sin games are far superior isometric rpg's than Baldur's Gate 1+2.

I never played them. In what way are they superior to BG? Graphics, gameplay, story, all of the above?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:55:49 PM

They're really good games that were clearly inspired by Baldur's Gate. Calling them far superior is silly other than the fact they take advantage of tech advances. Story-wise they're probably roughly on par with Baldur's Gate. Gameplay, each of the games has pros and cons in my opinion but generally, I didn't feel like there was a huge difference on the gameplay side minus some QoL stuff that, once again, is primarily due to tech advances and lessons learned in the 30(?) years since the BG games were out.

They are really, really good games and easily the best modern isometric RPGs and in the top 5 RPGs of the last decade or two. But far superior to Baldur's Gate I & II? I think not.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 07:15:58 PM

D&D should always be turn based.  The Infinity engines all suffered from their real time/pause command combat.  To be honest I preferred the old SSI games than the Infinity Engine ones.

I was never able to finish an IE game, no matter how much I wanted to like them the combat was never fun.  I tried the hardest in BG2 and got pretty far but they also never got the trash/boss balance right imo (working on very old memories) and the spell slot system and having to rest all the time because entering any fight without your dispel magic and other counter magic for the inevitable casters in every fight just pulled me right out of the game.

The turn-based combat in Original Sin is excellent, so much better than the IE games, the action point system and powers design are better than D&D spell slots too.  The encounters are just paced better too. 

If BG3 isn't turn-based though and they try to make it more like 1+2 my interest will dwindle very quickly.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:28 PM

100% agreed about turn-based being superior for this kind of game, especially from a tactical combat perspective. Most enemy AI in BG1/2 is way too dumb, but if anyone played the 'Chosen of Cyric' encounter in the BG2 rogue rebalancing mod, it showcases this problem pretty clearly -- the enemy scripts are advanced enough to respond to basically everything you do, including repositioning themselves on-the-fly, switching targets to deal with spellcasters, etc. I can't see anyone beating that encounter (outside a ridiculously overpowered party) without pausing literally every 2 seconds, at which point a TB system would be waaaay better.

(Incidentally, I think the SSI Dark Sun games are superior to the BG games on a design level, despite the simplistic graphics... and the bugs. oh god the bugs)

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 10:19:11 PM

DoS has a much better turn based system in many ways, but the skills and attributes systems were still flawed and unbalanced in significant areas.

And their equipment systems were less fun than BG. I'm not a fan of the Diablo style loot.

DoS2 has a much much worse companion and quest system than bg2. But the main stories and plots were fairly equivalent in execution I'd say.

Larian improved a lot between dos 1 and 2 though, there's no reason to think bg3 won't be a better game again.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 01:02:11 AM

DoS2 suffers from a lot of the mechanics being half baked and from being an 80 hour game with about 30 hours of content.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 06:17:41 AM

I hope they stick with turn based, I really enjoyed DOS:2 except for the loot system, which was horrible.
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 09:22:39 AM

Original Sin 2 is a great game in many ways but even the remastered edition feels like unfinished Eurojank a lot of the time.  It's very easy to break certain encounters, be allowed to save in the middle, and then be forced to spend hours watching npcs around or start over - I'm thinking of the trainer in the swamp who's fighting the soldiers and the ghosts who can't be killed if there's fire around towards the end of the game in particular, but there are more. I'm also not a fan of how the high difficulty levels are balanced on a knife's edge so that enemies a single level higher than you can be completely unkillable and then pushovers after you level up.  It makes the game into a search for which content is completable at your level, which really undermines the open world quest structure. All that said, the combat is still really satisfying most of the time.  Unlike a lot of people, I'm not a fan of the story because of the wild swings in tone and the repeated failure to establish the personalities of important characters, but the game does have a lot of interesting role playing decisions. I'd really like Baldur's Gate 3 to be slightly more accessible and polished.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 08:25:11 PM

100% agreed about turn-based being superior for this kind of game, especially from a tactical combat perspective. Most enemy AI in BG1/2 is way too dumb, but if anyone played the 'Chosen of Cyric' encounter in the BG2 rogue rebalancing mod, it showcases this problem pretty clearly -- the enemy scripts are advanced enough to respond to basically everything you do, including repositioning themselves on-the-fly, switching targets to deal with spellcasters, etc. I can't see anyone beating that encounter (outside a ridiculously overpowered party) without pausing literally every 2 seconds, at which point a TB system would be waaaay better.

I had a fairly overpowered party, and not only did it take about five hours worth of attempts and reloads to beat the Chosen of Cyric party, I had to do a not-insignificant amount of pre-planning and pre-fight setup of spell sequencers and contingencies. I even had to look up how certain mechanics actually worked in BG2, because you would never have them used against you any other time, like that one guy who casts Mislead and runs his clone off into the fog of war.

Of course there was also a ton of pausing, and I had to eventually set auto-pause to fire at the end of every single round after a single missed pause at a critical moment caused me to be a half second too late to react to something that started a death spiral.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 10:51:10 PM

Does the Rogue rebalancing mod change missile combat to something less unbroken? Because once you found out that it works for everything, its really hard to not cheese your way through the harder passages of the game.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:54:59 PM by Tebonas »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 05:30:44 PM

Lots of recent news on this one - and a big announcement for June 6 which many think will be the prerelease version going live.

The preview videos do not follow D&D rules everywhere, but a lot of the variances feel like DM administration of a player asking to do something not spelled out in the rules.  It will bethe first PC game that I've made time to play in a long time. 

You can play pregens or make up to 4 PCs.  You'll also be able to add to the party with NPCs,  henchmen and hirelings. It is real time, but you can slow it down to round by round combat.   It will run through 10 levels, so you can be sure there will be at least one sequel.  I expect two - one to add more classes, races and bckgrouns (as well as a little adventure content - side quests) and another to take you from 10 to 20.  Mike Mearls was banished to help them keep this game in line with D&Dlore and mecanics wherever possible.  It looks good.

Article with link to video

One thingt to note: They think that something in this will discourage the save/reload techniques.  We'll see.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 06:58:22 PM

It looks super generic and boring from everything I've seen so far.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 07:08:38 PM

Well, it's Larian.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 06:46:43 AM

Hmm with only 10 levels I'm wondering whether it's going to be a big enough game to justify paying AAA prices for on release.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 07:50:59 AM

Ugh, the first Baulders Gate was 10 levels (BG2 going from 10 to 20), and it was plenty long.  D&D leveling is slow.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 08:26:40 AM

You're right! I've only replayed BG1 a couple of times because first level Dnd characters are so horribly tedious to play. The first playthrough was fun though I admit.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 08:34:13 AM

But yeah, in your defense, the first 10 levels are way more boring/shitty than the second 10 levels in D&D.  Which is one major reason why BG2 was so much more enjoyable to play.

So hopefully they craft a good campaign, but only being the first 10 levels will hurt it.

-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 11:40:54 AM

BG 1 and 2 were also three editions of D&D back.
WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 12:05:31 PM

Is it truly round by round turn-based combat, or is it 'spam spacebar every 4 seconds' pause bullshit?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 01:41:08 PM

Every edition of D&D since 2nd has had an explicit focus on making the low level experience not suck.

We're a long way from 4 HP wizards with a single spell and a 5% chance to hit with a physical attack.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 03:52:55 PM

Hah 2nd edition is the version I've been playing with my university buddies for the last forty years. We usually minimize the suckage by starting new parties at 7th level.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 07:14:17 AM

I never did PnP D&D in those early editions. I do very clearly remember playing BG1 and desperately recruiting party members because they kept dying for the first week or two of attempts before I started figuring it out.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 09:12:44 AM

According to D&D Beyond, 90% of campaigns end by level 10 in 5th edition.  That makes a lot of sense to me as well.

Characters had far too few abilities/options at low levels in 2nd edition and it was boring.  But in 4th/5th edition characters can also become bloated with too many abilities at higher levels.  So the goldilocks zone of character development starts much lower with 5th edition.  Most one-offs/campaigns I run start at 2nd or 3rd level.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 12:23:16 PM

Tangentially related, but in a recent article about what a potential 6th edition could be someone did a breakdown of how long each edition of D&D lasted:

Original Dungeons & Dragons: 1974 (woodgrain boxed set) through 1976 (Swords & Spells) - 2 years
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition): 1977-1979 (depending on whether you could it as beginning with the release of the Monster Manual in 1977, the Players Handbook in 1978, or the Dungeon Masters Guide in 1979) through 1988 (DL16 World of Krynn) - 11 years
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition): 1989 (Player's Handbook) through 2000 (Die Vecna Die!) - 11 years
Basic Dungeons & Dragons (Holmes): 1978 (the Holmes Basic set) through 1979 (B2 The Keep on the Borderlands) - 2 years
Basic Dungeons & Dragons (B/X): 1981 (the Moldvay Basic Set to 1983 (X5 Temple of Death) - 2 years
Basic Dungeons & Dragons (BECMI): 1983 (the Mentzer Basic Set to 1993 (Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark) - 10 years
Dungeons & Dragons (3.0 Edition): 2000 (Player's Handbook) through 2003 (Ghostwalk) - 3 years
Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition): 2003 (Player's Handbook) through 2008 (City of Stormreach) - 5 years
Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition): 2008 (Player's Handbook) through 2012 (Into the Unknown: The Dungeons Survival Handbook) - 4 years
Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition Essentials): 2010 (Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set) through 2011 (Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale) - 1 year
Dungeons & Dragons (Next): 2013 (Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle through 2014 (Legacy of the Crystal Shard) - 1 year
Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition): 2014 (Starter Set) through Present (Mythic Odysseys of Theros) - 6 years+
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Baldur's Gate 3  
Jump to: