Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 189832 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 26, 2019, 08:22:30 AM

Oh boy. Another thread full of middle aged men bemoaning the resolution of a film series they started watching as children.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #106 on: August 26, 2019, 08:25:06 AM

Look Sir. This is going to be the worst end of a trilogy since RotJ.  why so serious?

Edit: interested in Mandalorian but not this.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #107 on: August 26, 2019, 08:26:53 AM

Oh boy. Another thread full of middle aged men bemoaning the resolution of a film series they started watching as children.

That film series ended in 1983.  They’re talking shit about some new half assed sci-fi movies.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:20 AM

Pretty much.  This is a series of awful movies, with one of them a shining beacon of awesome that shows it can be done, if you know, you give a shit, which further reinforces the point that the movies that end up being made for the most part are done by people who don't give a shit.

It's why when Mandalorian looks more like Rogue One than any of the others, it inspires hope.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #109 on: August 26, 2019, 10:54:09 AM

Still waiting on sabre-nunchucks   why so serious?

I forgot all about this release until a friend of my wife's mentioned it while we were all out at an ice cream stand. Struck me odd that I probably had a similar conversation when I was 9, at a neighborhood ice cream stand, with my cousins about RotJ - only there was a lot more excitement 36 years ago...for me at least.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 26, 2019, 11:10:15 AM

Still waiting on sabre-nunchucks   why so serious?

I forgot all about this release until a friend of my wife's mentioned it while we were all out at an ice cream stand. Struck me odd that I probably had a similar conversation when I was 9, at a neighborhood ice cream stand, with my cousins about RotJ - only there was a lot more excitement 36 years ago...for me at least.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Heh I remember not being excited at all for RotJ. My thought was "no way this will be better than Empire", and I was right. I don't remember seeing this in theaters back then, but I don't think the first time I saw it was on videotape/cd/dvd either so who knows.

I specifically remember a group of us kids in the school library reading the paper with a big, incomplete Death Star on the cover page. I think most of us agreed that it couldn't be the old DS but I don't remember anyone saying it's a new DS.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: August 26, 2019, 12:21:09 PM

Some peoples only joy is shitting on things that others enjoy. Everybody gotta have a talent, I guess.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 26, 2019, 01:22:03 PM

Time Every star wars thread is a flat circle.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: August 26, 2019, 01:34:57 PM

Fuck's sake, can we stop just adding goddamn light saber blades to things in an effort to look cool? Holy shit, that little saber twist at the end made me laugh out loud. This is getting ridiculous. Where's that picture of the dude with light sabers coming out of his knees?

Not sure why you get all riled up about people's personal weapon choice in a movie. It's just like anything else. Every movie that has some kind of master or professional typically has their own style of weapon choice. Same shit here.

You knew Rey was bound to have some kind of staff weapon at some point. Well here you go.

And the shot of here with a Maul-like saber is probably just a vision/dream so who cares.

The sooner the skywalker saga can end the better so we can move on to actually good stories like the Disney+ stuff.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #114 on: August 26, 2019, 02:48:28 PM

But the double switchblade saber/staff is also red. That's been a Dark Side only thing, one of the few rules they have stuck to. And frankly, they've been foreshadowing a Face-Heel turn for Rey since the beginning.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: August 26, 2019, 03:00:07 PM

Rey is not going Dark Side. Just put that out of your mind. She is the face of the franchise, as well as the face of Disney's repeated emphasis on more diversity in their franchises. If anything, the switchblade saber wielding Rey is a straight up lie filmed as a red herring, or it's a dream sequence, or it's a clone. One of my buddies told me about the current hypothesis going around that Rey is one of many clones that the Emperor is supposed to possess/inhabit. That would be sort of clever, and mean we'd likely get a Rey v Rey battle.

Also, switchblade saber just looks dumb as fuck and keeps upping the ante on wacky lightsaber antics.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: August 26, 2019, 03:12:16 PM

Don't know how to post pics from twitter but:
https://twitter.com/WilliamHPerkins/status/1166089396711514112
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #117 on: August 26, 2019, 05:42:22 PM

IT'S A FUCKING CUBE BEYOTCH

Also, yeah. I enjoy the Skywalker movies ok, even liked Solo. But R1 is the only great movie. So I count it as a win and look forward to the Mandalorian. Lucas wouldn't be making movies, so it's all good.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 26, 2019, 06:17:13 PM

It's spelled Reey.

Very likely fighting Luuke and Been Soolo.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 26, 2019, 06:19:24 PM

(Though seriously, if JJ Abrams goes with "the vision of Rey in the mirror is that she was a clone and there are thousand of Rey clones and that's what she was seeing", I'm gonna puke. The entire thing with the clones of the major characters was nearly (not entirely) one of the dumbest EU ideas period. Yes, yes, Palpatine, no sorry Paalpaatiinne did so much with clones and all that, so why wouldn't he repeat it, but ah fuck please.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 26, 2019, 08:56:03 PM

IT'S A FUCKING CUBE BEYOTCH

Also, yeah. I enjoy the Skywalker movies ok, even liked Solo. But R1 is the only great movie. So I count it as a win and look forward to the Mandalorian. Lucas wouldn't be making movies, so it's all good.

I hear this a lot and don't get it. Rogue One is an hour of a super passive protagonist then 45 minutes of a pretty cool fight scene then a minute and a half of badass Darth Vader. It's like people retroactively make the entire movie that Darth Vader scene in their heads. I mean...this is the movie where this happens:

Jyn: The rebellion just killed my dad!!!!!
<screenwipe to Yavin council chamber>
Jyn: Rebellions are built on hope!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 26, 2019, 10:57:36 PM

I agree with that assessment.  I like Rogue One, but it has many of the same flaws as these other movies, plus the most forgettable cast of characters in the whole SW universe.  But it did have amazing visuals that got the "feel" of SW just right, and 30 seconds of badass Vader.

I don't mind the different weapons, as long as they make sense.  Kylo's weapon makes sense.  That unfolding staff thing.....does not.  Like those pinwheel sabers the Inquisitors have in the cartoons.  Stupid.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 27, 2019, 05:16:01 AM

Fans of a series that ended 40 years ago are bad mouthing a movie franchise made solely to suck dollars from said fans who give a shit about the franchise. I mean for fucks sake guys just give Disney your money you fucking weebs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Disney could have used an original IP about space wizards and got kids to watch that shit. It would have been for kids and none of us nerdy 30 somethings would care past the 1st movie because its for kids. But instead their using star wars, with the explicit expectation that old fans, new fans, their grandmas and the entirety of communist china will watch it. They expect us to care enough to pay money to see this shit over Jumanji, buy their kids billions of dollars worth merchandise and pay 100 dollars a human for their amusement park. They can at least make it watchable.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:31:30 AM by MediumHigh »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: August 27, 2019, 05:22:00 AM

I agree with that assessment.  I like Rogue One, but it has many of the same flaws as these other movies, plus the most forgettable cast of characters in the whole SW universe.  But it did have amazing visuals that got the "feel" of SW just right, and 30 seconds of badass Vader.

I don't mind the different weapons, as long as they make sense.  Kylo's weapon makes sense.  That unfolding staff thing.....does not.  Like those pinwheel sabers the Inquisitors have in the cartoons.  Stupid.

It's funny you mention the Inquisitors, saw a Youtube video where a guy pointed out that exact saber was used in Clone Wars by the big lizard Jedi who goes to the dark side and in Rebels by the Grand Inquisitor when he was still a temple guard and Kanan sees him in a force vision or whatever.

No idea if that is intentional or not. I don't think Abrams would think of it but maybe somebody in the art department worked on one or both series or is just a fan.

In the cartoon it's a lot more graceful. He unfolds it and lights it in one motion. He doesn't have it lit then unfolds it like in the trailer.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #124 on: August 27, 2019, 08:08:17 AM

Jesus fucking Christ.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #125 on: August 27, 2019, 10:12:54 AM

That saber is stupid af.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #126 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17:42 AM

I don't get it. What's the reason for it gravity snapping to place? Is it easier to store or something?

Still, I'm hoping for something better than Last Jedi. That shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 27, 2019, 10:44:35 AM

I don't get it. What's the reason for it gravity snapping to place? Is it easier to store or something?

Still, I'm hoping for something better than Last Jedi. That shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

The only reason I could see having a saber like that is if the two parts can be separated. So it folds up, can snap out into a staff or you twist and then have two sabers. So it's versatile. That said, I'm not nearly as concerned by it as you guys are.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 27, 2019, 11:00:15 AM

(Though seriously, if JJ Abrams goes with "the vision of Rey in the mirror is that she was a clone and there are thousand of Rey clones and that's what she was seeing", I'm gonna puke. The entire thing with the clones of the major characters was nearly (not entirely) one of the dumbest EU ideas period. Yes, yes, Palpatine, no sorry Paalpaatiinne did so much with clones and all that, so why wouldn't he repeat it, but ah fuck please.

I think it way more likely this was a twin sister because that has already happened in star wars, and if palp is the real antagonist, he needs an apprentice.

It would also explain all the mentions Rey's family get without her parents specifically being important.

JJA is bad at this sort of thing but I don't think even he'd do the clones with too many vowels bullshit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 27, 2019, 11:23:59 AM

Given that we already know cloning tech is not even terribly difficult, I would be fine with some cloning action.  It is actually kinda stupid that it hasn’t been tried when we know the technology exists.  Outside of the EU I mean.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 27, 2019, 12:17:23 PM

Did you guys notice that the cloak she was wearing wasn't the right shade of black?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: August 27, 2019, 03:00:01 PM

Did you guys notice that the cloak she was wearing wasn't the right shade of black?

Did she also have pointy knees?

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 27, 2019, 03:52:05 PM

Quite.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 27, 2019, 05:28:31 PM

Where's that picture of the dude with light sabers coming out of his knees?

Its from https://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/12/7_terrible_lightsaber_designs_from_the_star_wars_e.php

But there is a more recent thingie, marked "episode VII trailer!!!" And, frankly, this looks even more stupid.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #134 on: August 27, 2019, 05:59:16 PM

How would you not saw your own legs off?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: August 27, 2019, 07:17:11 PM

The Force, I guess.

I dunno why you wouldn't just create armor that would create a lightsaber field around the entire penumbra of the armor and then kung-fu shit to death. As long as you don't forget and pick your nose, you're ok.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #136 on: August 27, 2019, 07:27:52 PM

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #137 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:05 AM

Forget Darth Rey, did you guys notice Darth 3CPO? :

Probably a minority opinion, but I wish they kept the visual style closer to the original trilogy. If you are just going by still images a scene from JJ Abrahams Star Wars could easily be used in the JJ Abrahams Star Trek. These film universes used to have their individual flair, this seems mostly gone.

Am I making sense?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 02, 2019, 09:05:22 AM

You keep asking if you are making sense.  The answer is, of course, no.  And also yes.  If that makes sense.

But yeah, that makes sense.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #139 on: October 21, 2019, 08:22:22 PM

Final trailer.

Does nothing for me. Looks like overdone "farewell to the trilogies" garbage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  
Jump to: