Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 190248 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #140 on: October 21, 2019, 08:36:18 PM

doesn't leave me cold but at the same time i look at the main cast and think: wow i don't give a fuck about these pleb ass retreads.

also movies that i care about i don't watch a trailer this close to release, i need to talk myself into bothering with this in theaters and i'm still not there yet

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: October 21, 2019, 10:53:47 PM

Yeah, I am not sure what is going on there.  They haven't lost me as such, because having two teenagers means I will be there on opening weekend, but I have no idea what that was.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: October 21, 2019, 11:08:56 PM

Looks like exactly the sort of thing JJA is bad at.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:39 PM

I mean, space ships, pew pew, lightsabers, a bit of Palpatine, it'll be fine for that alone.  But when they cannot even muster excitement from someone like me....

Also, there were at least three spots just in that trailer where I was like "uh, that's terribly unrealistic and/or stupid".  I don't get the choices some people make for the apparent benefit of being artsy or whatever.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: October 22, 2019, 04:54:08 AM

I'm willing to bet like half those scenes aren't even in the movie.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #145 on: October 22, 2019, 05:42:32 AM

I won’t see it in cinemas. Maybe watch it on streaming someday.

Mary Sue + Hobbit Goats

fake edit: So at the end they’re riding space goats outside in space? On a star destroyer? Kids aren’t stupid - they’re gonna howl at that.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: October 22, 2019, 06:52:09 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #147 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:53 AM

I won’t see it in cinemas. Maybe watch it on streaming someday.

Mary Sue + Hobbit Goats

fake edit: So at the end they’re riding space goats outside in space? On a star destroyer? Kids aren’t stupid - they’re gonna howl at that.

Howl? Not this generation. I expect a year's worth of stupid meme's all over reddit for the next 2 years.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 22, 2019, 07:36:14 AM

Yup.  I'm done with Star Wars.  Thanks JJ.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #149 on: October 22, 2019, 07:45:23 AM

That final trailer makes me hope the damn thing is 3 hours long, otherwise, it's going to planet hop so often, you'll get whiplash. It also tells me nothing about the story whatsoever.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #150 on: October 22, 2019, 08:19:16 AM

Lucky for you it's said to be the longest SW movie to date.  awesome, for real

So much solo running with open lightsabers. Will I watch it? Yeah. Likely not in a theater unless my kid drags me out.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #151 on: October 22, 2019, 08:32:11 AM

This is going to be a no from me.  why so serious?

I'll see it in a few years when it is streaming only to complete my viewing of the entire series. Star Wars: A New Hope was the first movie I ever watched, long ago in the back of my mom's pinto in a drive in theater (which should date me 5 times over) so I can't not watch the final. That said, the magic left right after RotJ and I should have had the sense to ignore the rest.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: October 22, 2019, 08:47:46 AM

I don't really understand what you guys are seeing. I saw a lot of Star Warsy stuff happening, no better or worse than any others. If you like Star Wars you are getting all the Star Wars stuff you expect, not sure what else they can give you.

I am the .00000001428%
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: October 22, 2019, 09:05:40 AM

I'm looking forward to a 600 page thread from people bitching about this movie who didn't want to see it in the first place and openly admit they have no interest in the franchise anymore.

F13. We enjoy nothing.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #154 on: October 22, 2019, 09:17:04 AM

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: October 22, 2019, 11:04:07 AM

I'm looking forward to this, and I liked the trailer, but every time I see them riding space goats on a Star Destroyer, I think of Spaceballs.  "Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb."

Also, I find it a little weird that EVERY moment in all of the trailers that features Rey has her breathing heavily.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: October 22, 2019, 11:10:16 AM

I think it is a conscious effort to show here as a strong female, full of action and kicking ass and definitely not some Mary Sue that hasn’t earned that.  And it generally works, up to the point where she has to swing a lightsaber and it all falls apart.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: October 22, 2019, 11:54:17 AM

Jesus, at this point anyone who still thinks of Rey as a Mary Sue is just embarrassing themselves.

I am the .00000001428%
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: October 22, 2019, 12:06:23 PM

Now, now, they might simply have a head injury.

Also, thank you, Sky. Exactly what I was going for.  awesome, for real

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #159 on: October 22, 2019, 12:28:53 PM

For my non-smarmy 2¢, I consider these last Skywalker movies to be popcorn movies that allow us things like Rogue One. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as much as the last two and not overthink any of it. Every Disney-era film has been better than the prequels, so it's all good in my book.

Ok, now back to how Ben Solo is a metaphor for the sissyfication of the white male in western society.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:20 PM

For my non-smarmy 2¢, I consider these last Skywalker movies to be popcorn movies that allow us things like Rogue One. I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as much as the last two and not overthink any of it. Every Disney-era film has been better than the prequels, so it's all good in my book.
I'm in the same boat.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: October 22, 2019, 03:26:48 PM

The metaphor in the trailer that struck me the hardest was hearing the main theme in straight major without the Lydian ornaments.

No semi-dissonant minor chords here. Just the predictable basics. JJ is back and EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OKAY.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Yay.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: October 22, 2019, 04:14:26 PM

Have to say that it didn't really grab me. But sure, I'll see it.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #163 on: October 22, 2019, 04:42:21 PM

I find I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing this series get put out of its misery.  As in, I might even go see this in the theater just so it'll be done and I can forget about it that much faster.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: October 22, 2019, 06:05:48 PM

Jesus, at this point anyone who still thinks of Rey as a Mary Sue is just embarrassing themselves.

I'm glad someone else said it first.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: October 22, 2019, 10:51:52 PM

In case it came across as such, I don't see her as a Mary Sue.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: October 23, 2019, 03:08:35 AM

Fuck sake if you are going to have her run like an athlete and stare like an imposing warrior, at least let the woman work some weights so she looks like she has some heft behind her, rather than look like a model waif. I'm sick of action hero women looking like famine victims.

And SPACE GOATS!!!

I watched the trailer out of curiosity as someone who left SW behind a while back as I wanted to see what these space goats were about. Yep, as stupid as I thought.

Raised zero and zilch interest in me to watch this bloated mess. It actually reminded me of that parody SW trailer where they took the real trailer for the first non Lucas SW movie (says it all that I cant even remember the name) and added tons of crap and "and space Negotiations." Did I see 100 Millennium Falcons there?

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: October 23, 2019, 04:19:18 AM

It's true, all the Jedi in previous films were seriously bulked-up, because everything they do physically requires lots of muscles. Can't hold the high ground without some mighty quads, right? Well, except for the alien ones, but they probably were too! Who knows what a weight-lifting Quarren looks like, right?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: October 23, 2019, 04:57:07 AM

I'm rather proud that my first response to that was "What's a Quarren?"  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: October 23, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Liar.  Everyone knows the Quarren share their homeworld with Mon Cals.

Daisy looks perfect for the role IMO (and that's not because I think she is one of the best looking women on the planet, although I do think that).  I just disconnect when I see her swing a saber.  She is pretty athletic looking.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: October 23, 2019, 06:59:34 AM

Meh. She does nothing for me.

It's just that scene in the trailer where she is supposed to look all tensed up and intimidating, and I'm going  "umm... no."

But hey, I've more chance of getting a blow job from a Quarren than seeing this thing. So whatever.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:57:34 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: October 23, 2019, 07:50:02 AM

Gotta be better than the Last Jedi? right?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: October 23, 2019, 08:06:56 AM

Well, yeah.  But then again, I need to watch that space goats scene again to be sure, when I first saw it in a small window it just looked like they were riding horses (which I also thought was strange).

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: October 23, 2019, 08:13:14 AM

Its actually unclear what they were riding, other than dressed up horses. I thought they had horns on first viewing, but stepping through the scene it does not look like they did. They just look like very furry horses on a closer look.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: October 23, 2019, 02:37:33 PM

Desert Planet.  Forest Planet with same helmets.  Death Star.  Lightsaber bullshit.  Big Space Fleet.  Cackling Palpatine.

Yeah, tell me again how JJ Abrams isn't an unoriginal hack.

Even harder pass than the last time I passed hard.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  
Jump to: