Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 189204 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: April 12, 2019, 10:18:16 AM

Trailer!

https://youtu.be/adzYW5DZoWs

Lightsabres!

Speeders!

Lando!

Palpatine!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:30:48 AM

Is that....really......the name?   ACK!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:21 AM

There was a cute little moment at the end of the Episode 9 panel.  After they showed the trailer, the lights came up and there was Ian McDiarmind on the stage by himself.  He's standing there for about a minute, with a goofy grin on his face, while the crowd is cheering at him.  He keeps raising the mic to his mouth like he's about to say something, and then lowering it because he can't stop grinning.  When he finally manages, he says, "Roll it again!" in his Emperor voice.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:00:20 AM

It was amazing. I loved the end of the trailer when you heard the Emperor laugh. Is that the shell of the deathstar? Is that Yavin 4? or Endor?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 11:02:29 AM

It was amazing. I loved the end of the trailer when you heard the Emperor laugh. Is that the shell of the deathstar? Is that Yavin 4? or Endor?

It could be either I guess since they were both forest moons. I don't think the Death Star was close enough to Yavin for a piece of it to land there but then again, we all know J.J. is horrible with how big space is so who knows. I was just shocked they revealed the emperor in a teaser trailer. I'd think they'd hold that back for awhile longer.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:44 AM

That probably means there are more reveals to come.

It's an incredible tease that will drive a shit ton of buzz for a few months until the release the first real trailer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:35:20 AM

I'm tingly. Dumb name, but it will be fun.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 11:36:33 AM

I assume that since JJ is doing this one, it's going to be Return of the Jedi beat for beat.  Which means that we need a bigger badder guy than Kylo/Vader, and that's going to be a Palpatine clone since they killed Snoke (maybe Snoke was a Palpatine clone that didn't bake long enough or something).  Then Kylo can have a do-over of that fight from TLJ but this time he redeems himself while dying tragically and something something the last Skywalker.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 11:43:10 AM

Is that....really......the name?   ACK!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 11:49:28 AM

Shrug, could be Kylo. Not like Solo is a real name.

I am the .00000001428%
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 11:53:22 AM

I like anything with good ol' Palpy!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:59:33 AM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 12:05:08 PM

It's easy enough to do, the source of the info in that spoiler wasn't exactly trustworthy.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:06 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:14:16 PM

If they make her parents Skywalkers, I'm gonna be kinda irritated.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 12:48:06 PM

I think they'll have to jump through hoops to explain it. Maybe Luke got drunk after his Jedi Temple was destroyed and had a one night stand. That said, I think it's obvious the Force Awakens was aiming to make her parentage a key mystery and Rian Johnson was like "meh, I'll just say she's a no one." I get why he did it and without the foreshadowing it would have made sense but with it it felt a bit out of left field.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 12:53:50 PM

I'm going to say that Rey is carrying Luke's cutoff hand and they are off to clone him. In the process of looking for the Emporer's old cloning chambers they find him instead. They raise Luke to fight him because he's super powerful.

Here's the bag Rey is carrying:

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 12:59:14 PM

I'm going to say that Rey is carrying Luke's cutoff hand and they are off to clone him. In the process of looking for the Emporer's old cloning chambers they find him instead. They raise Luke to fight him because he's super powerful.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS shut up and take my money

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 01:03:01 PM

Midichlorians.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 01:39:04 PM

Christmas is going to be so much fun this year!

And my brain went to some kind of timey-wimey travel stuff somehow, but clones do exist so that's the stronger possibility.  I much prefer rey to not be a Skywalker by blood and instead take on the name.  That feels like a better explanation to me, honestly.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 02:29:31 PM

I'll take that.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 02:45:39 PM

What Surly said.

Coming to DisneyFlix some long weekend.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:16:46 PM by Soln »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 02:52:16 PM

If she's a Skywalker it will be through cloning, not from being actually related. Having the emperor back kinda points in that direction as well.

I am the .00000001428%
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 03:10:36 PM

I wouldn't mind her being a clone.  If they tie it back to the theory that Anakin was created by Darth Plagueis/Sidious through some kind of manipulation of life through The Force, and Rey had a similar heritage, I think it'd be a fun way to make the story come full circle.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 03:12:02 PM

Here we fucking go again with this shit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 04:56:58 PM

That looks dumb as shit and the name is also dumb as shit both as a red herring and a true reveal. Just fucking kill it already.

Let the past die. Kill it if you must.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 05:47:14 PM

That looks dumb as shit and the name is also dumb as shit both as a red herring and a true reveal. Just fucking kill it already.

They said they will bring in Ep 1-3 and close the loop. I like the idea of a good adventure romp. You haters just need to get over yourself and have fun.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:00 PM

I'll certainly see it in theaters.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:00 PM

I'm fine with it. I quite liked the last one as folks know, but let's see what the next one brings. Why not.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37:57 PM

And my brain went to some kind of timey-wimey travel stuff somehow, but clones do exist so that's the stronger possibility.  I much prefer rey to not be a Skywalker by blood and instead take on the name.  That feels like a better explanation to me, honestly.

I saw a really cool theory on Youtube. Essentially, the theory was that Rey will form a new order but instead of calling them Jedi she will call them Skywalkers. So basically, going forward, all Force students are Skywalkers. I'm not doing it justice but it sounds kind of cool and makes the title make sense as the third movies have all been about the rise or resurgence of a Force using order of some kind.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 12, 2019, 11:54:25 PM

Jesus. Don't forget to put away your blocks before you go home.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 06:20:57 AM

I saw a really cool theory on Youtube. Essentially, the theory was that Rey will form a new order but instead of calling them Jedi she will call them Skywalkers. So basically, going forward, all Force students are Skywalkers. I'm not doing it justice but it sounds kind of cool and makes the title make sense as the third movies have all been about the rise or resurgence of a Force using order of some kind.

That would make the title awkward. It's not "The Rise of the Skywalker" or "The Rise of Skywalkers"
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 13, 2019, 10:07:07 AM

That said, I think it's obvious the Force Awakens was aiming to make her parentage a key mystery and Rian Johnson was like "meh, I'll just say she's a no one." I get why he did it and without the foreshadowing it would have made sense but with it it felt a bit out of left field.

I just don't see that. IIRC Maz (whatever the cgi character name was) specifically said her parents weren't coming back, and she should look towards "what was in front of her", so while her parents are important to Rey as it informs her decision making process but I didn't see it as something that should be important to the story overall.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #33 on: April 13, 2019, 10:34:28 AM

I don’t think ascribing any vision or long term planning for this narrative makes sense post-Rian.  JJ and friends will make up anything they want to suit whatever they want.  Nothing in the existing narratives from ANH to Rebels matters, because it didn’t matter last film.  Fun to prognosticate but nothing.

Fake Edit: I think a lot of fan story ideas and theories are way more interesting that what we’ve received and what we’ll get.  
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 13, 2019, 10:54:01 PM

Am I wrong, or was the most definitive statement on her parentage coming from Kylo Ren?  He was the one who said that she was a nobody that came from nothing.  Why should he be believed?  He could have been talking about about his own family for all we know, in his bitter, emo way of saying stuff.  I do not think it was ever super definitive, unless Kathleen Kennedy herself came out and stated it, because she is the one who decides important stuff.  And there is nothing more important in a Star Wars film than something like who her parents were, no way did they leave it up to Johnson.

Also...

I had a laugh at this because it is exactly how Kylo would have said it. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars 9 : The Rise of Skywalker  
Jump to: