Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -- new EA Star Wars game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -- new EA Star Wars game  (Read 30574 times)
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 07:13:16 PM

What? You don't trust EA to follow through on their "Moral Compass"?  Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 08:09:09 AM

Gameplay Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8939aURV9Dc

post edited with just the link to the gameplay trailer
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:52:22 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: June 08, 2019, 10:07:12 AM

So 3rd person Titanfall Uncharted?

No thanks.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 11:44:48 AM

Huh, I dunno, maybe?  I rather like Uncharted, so that comparison is a positive.  And it looks purty.  Might give it a whirl.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 01:06:08 PM

Hope they have some option to change your looks, otherwise I'm going to have a hard time seeing the Joker as a Jedi.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 01:23:30 PM

It looks...decent enough. I understand where the devs are coming from, but all that wall climbing, rope jumping etc. look a bit out of place in muh SW game :D. Game might risk the "it's THAT game just with a SW coat painted over it" critic.

Movement and VFX (all around, from blasters to jedi lightsaber) definitely need a lot more polishing, hopefully with  more "oomph" when it comes to melee impact. We'll see in a few more months when it approaches release.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 02:42:14 PM

Isn't that the Joker from Gotham?

Because it looks weird. Saw was fine but Joker jedi is a bit uncanny valley.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 04:08:10 PM

Well that looked pretty boring. Was there any point the player was in danger?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: June 08, 2019, 04:58:50 PM

good ol light saber stopping electrified batons

pure canon
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #44 on: June 08, 2019, 05:56:39 PM

EAface is the real tragedy here. Saw looked passable but the protagonist has the broken-lifeless stare of ME Andromeda.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 08, 2019, 06:17:16 PM

Isn't that the Joker from Gotham?

Because it looks weird. Saw was fine but Joker jedi is a bit uncanny valley.

It's Cameron Monaghan, yeah.  The gameplay looks ok, but I am not a fan of digitized actors faces.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 09, 2019, 11:07:17 AM

There were lots of bits where a player who didn't know the route or how the enemy AI might have struggled or taken a couple of attempts.

But this is a 6 hour story game. I'm sure it will be fun for those hours. I'd buy it if it were on steam.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:27:38 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 09, 2019, 11:45:54 AM

Wait.  6 hours?  Wait.

Wait.

6 hours is not many hours.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: June 09, 2019, 11:48:18 AM

it's a star wars videogame

the fuck do you want
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #49 on: June 10, 2019, 01:08:10 AM

There were lots of bits where a player who didn't know the route or how the enemy AI might have struggled or taken a couple of attempts.

But this is a 6 hour story game. I'm sure it will be fun for those hours. I'd buy it if it were on steam.

Would you still say that if you saw this exact demo without the Star Wars license?

I didn't particularly care for the Force Unleashed games but they seemed an order of magnitude more inspired than what we've seen of this game so far. Everything they're showing looks slow and awkward. Maybe there's more depth to the combat later (this is supposed to be about three hours into the game) but this doesn't look like a great place to start from.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 03:49:18 AM

Wait.  6 hours?  Wait.

Wait.

6 hours is not many hours.

I don't know what to tell you. It is the normal number of hours for a first/third person single player heavily scripted shooter.

This isn't based on knowledge of this game BTW, just an assumption based on the genre.

It isn't 1995 any more.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:52:23 AM by eldaec »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #51 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:17 AM

6 hours? I'd say it is the normal time only for a last minute story campaign attached to a multiplayer shooter, like Battlefield 5 story mode, definitely the running time of any major aaa 60$ single player title ever, let alone Star Wars.

Maybe I am just not too familiar with the sub-genre? Bayonetta was short, but that came as a surprise to me.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 10, 2019, 09:41:26 AM

it's a star wars videogame

the fuck do you want

4 more hours.

Now I remember why, among other reasons, I do not buy FPS games any more.  Guess I can ignore this one after all.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 10, 2019, 10:07:26 AM

Is the genre really down from 16 hours first time playthrough? I remember the Wolfenstein reboot taking about 18 for me, but I like to take a slow pace even in FPSes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 10, 2019, 12:09:53 PM

Well I hope you guys with a more optimistic view on the generosity of EA are right.

Is the genre really down from 16 hours first time playthrough?

Yes it definitely is. Mass effect is only about 16 hours.

Also wolfenstein has been rebooted four times since 1981 original. Do you mean the 1992, 2001, 2008 or 2014 Reboot?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:11:32 PM by eldaec »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 10, 2019, 03:00:47 PM

Well I hope you guys with a more optimistic view on the generosity of EA are right.

Also wolfenstein has been rebooted four times since 1981 original. Do you mean the 1992, 2001, 2008 or 2014 Reboot?

Yeah but they are talking 6 hours above, that's why I was asking -- I was wondering if it was just a typo.

And I probably mean the 2014 reboot -- the one with the NAZIs won alternate future. I actually rather liked the 2001 remake.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #56 on: June 13, 2019, 01:53:38 AM

6 hours for a story mode in Force Awakens III? Nah. Maybe when it drops to super sale times and also has decent reviews.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 13, 2019, 02:20:00 AM

I would settle for a 15-18 hours first blind playthrough (how long was a first playthrough of Tomb Raider and/or Uncharted?) . IMO, with a decent enough storyline, it would hit a good balance.

C'mon guys, from what I've read, the single player campaigns of COD:Infinite Warfare and SW:Battlefront 2 were 5-6 hours long, but we're talking about a different approach.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:48:18 AM by Lucas »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 13, 2019, 05:10:44 AM

If I remember correctly, our original complaints about the 6 hour single player modes came from one of the COD games.  People collectively shat themselves when they found out, but the counterargument was that "hey, at least these games have robust multiplayer modes and in fact that is essentially the entire point of them in the first place".  Which is fair.

But this?  If it is only a single player game and/or has not longevity beyond that?  I submit that that is not acceptable, and we should not try to convince each other it is a reasonable standard in this day and age.  It isn't a reasonable standard.  That will have me likely waiting until this is on a steep discount, or simply never play it at all.  More likely the latter, unless it also gets rave reviews, which already seems unlikely.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 13, 2019, 07:51:47 AM

On what planet is Mass Effect only 16 hours? I mean, I guess if you rush through it and ignore all side content maybe. But my first playthrough of each of the games was 30-40 hours.

Also, let's not all get our panties in a twist. We haven't heard anything about times yet. It may be 6 hours in which case I'll wait for it to go on sale. Or it may be closer to Tomb Raider with enough side content it can stretch out to 15-20 hours easily. We'll have to see I guess.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #60 on: June 13, 2019, 08:39:26 AM

Yes, personally these days when I see statements about a game being 5 hours long I know it really means 10 hours long. If they say 16 hours long, it means 32 hours long. At least for me, which is all that matters. 6 hours long campaign for a main Star Wars AAA $60 game seems too short though, even if it's actually 12 hours.f

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #61 on: June 15, 2019, 02:30:45 PM

I would settle for a 15-18 hours first blind playthrough (how long was a first playthrough of Tomb Raider and/or Uncharted?) . IMO, with a decent enough storyline, it would hit a good balance.

C'mon guys, from what I've read, the single player campaigns of COD:Infinite Warfare and SW:Battlefront 2 were 5-6 hours long, but we're talking about a different approach.

Multiplayer focus in both of those games aside, these are the games you hold up as examples?  swamp poop

*note - I own both. In both cases as a result of super-cheap discounted sales. I haven't actually completed either campaign, either! QUALITY, MOREISH GAMES! Ohhhhh, I see.

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 08, 2019, 03:57:45 PM

My biggest issue with it is that it is another Star Wars game with the main protagonist being a white male. In a galaxy with an assortment of alien species and/or the opportunity to have a Person of Color as the lead, they went with the blandest, safest choice. In the films, when he initiates Order 66, we see multiple characters of different races and genders be killed. Only the white guy survives? Pass.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 09, 2019, 09:48:20 AM

Recent bullshit has made me pretty SJW about this sort of thing, but seriously, Iden Versio says hi.

At least casting the Joker gives representation to sociopaths.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:53:07 AM by eldaec »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 10:37:00 AM

Well, Star Wars BattleLootbox 2 had a WHite female character in its 6 hour campaign.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:09 AM

Well, Star Wars BattleLootbox 2 had a WHite female character in its 6 hour campaign.

Uh...no it didn't? The actress who played her is Indian (with a bit of Dutch on her mother's side) and the character is clearly darker skinned. I actually assumed she was Latino until I looked up the actress.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 15, 2019, 11:20:32 AM

Looked white to me, especially in comparison to the other characters. And I really could not care less what ethnicity her voice actor is, thats irrelevent to the visual experiance. And besides, the characters  father was lilly white. OR WAS HE???

Granted, these days they are carefully shading the skin just enough to look white to whites and dark to those ethnics. Dont want to alienate any paying customers and either side of the SJW idiocy.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:38:56 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #67 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:27 AM

Fascinating.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #68 on: August 17, 2019, 02:35:27 PM

You know a thread is going places once you start guessing the pedigree of fictional characters.

Did you know that Phil LaMarr voiced Samurai Jack?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 18, 2019, 06:01:17 AM

While this now has way too many posts on it, she is very obviously intended to be mixed race and you can pick a screenshot lit according to whatever point you wish to make.

Disney have done a decent job in diversifying both star wars and MCU leads over the last few years. To come back that to the point that started this silliness, complaining that this specific Disney product has a white male lead was dumb.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -- new EA Star Wars game  
Jump to: