Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Joker (2019) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joker (2019)  (Read 42297 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 08:03:58 AM

Look, Bale was good, but you are saying that Keaton was not a good Batman? Forget the fact that the movie doesn't quite hold up as well after the Nolan stuff, but Keaton was a good Batman. Affleck was a good Batman, he just happened to be in almost completely shitty movies - but he and his portrayal of the character was not the problem with those movies at all.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 08:35:35 AM

Even Bale has been mediocre. It's only compared to other Batmen that he's even remotely good.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 08:55:16 AM

If I had to rank live action Batmen it'd be:

Keaton
Affleck
Adam West
Bale

Bale was generally just boring as Batman and Bruce Wayne and his scratchy voice turned the character into a caricature.

This movie looks good but DC marketing has fooled me before. *cough*SuicideSquad*cough*

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 12:12:45 PM

It's weird that watching two hours of "how society made me become a psychopathic mass murderer, please empathize" might not be all that great even if Joacquin Phoenix plays it?

I am really not into comic-adaptions, so I watched this trailer like, well, like a trailer for a film and it looked good.

Not quite sure what your issues here are.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 12:19:51 PM

As far as I can tell, the Internet is terribly concerned that right-wing incels will enjoy this movie too much, so much so that it may be a moral imperative for right-thinking people to NOT enjoy it. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 12:59:50 PM

Take the Joker out of it (or hell, don't) and the movie could easily be called "Diary of an Incel."

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:43 PM

I can't even tell anymore if I'm being trolled or if our culture wars have reached a new depth of stupidity.

IF this movie aims to using realistic psychological/socio-economic etc. create a fictitious life that might lead someone to become a killer clown guy and nothing else... THEN this is a dumb fucking idea for a movie. That plan is dumb enough that it invalidates any reason to watch said movie regardless of quality. If I need a dose of terrible things can turn human beings into terrible people. I don't need to seek out my local cinema for help with that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 05:20:08 PM

I mean, I'm not especially optimistic either...

But tragedy has been a staple of the performative arts for most of recorded human history.

So I don't think 'story about society breaking a guy' is exactly plumbing new depths.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 06:28:19 PM

Yeah, I mean, Taxi Driver is considered a classic, and there have been a lot of movies like it since.  And now this.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 06:33:28 PM

If incels want to think of themselves as the fucking Joker, like, whatever. Ok.

That's a retard slapfight if ever there was one. I'm just going to enjoy the movie because there's a very high chance it'll be good.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 10:51:36 AM

Hopefully it is a good as "You Were Never Really Here" which is recommending viewing.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

So this latest trailer dropped and I can't really see why anyone is terribly interested in this film.

Help ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 10:46:38 AM

So this latest trailer dropped and I can't really see why anyone is terribly interested in this film.

Help ?

This looks fucking great.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 10:57:12 AM

Well, that settled it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 11:11:44 AM

Why so fucking be there?  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 11:29:28 AM

I don't know, I'm thinking I'm with schild on this one. It looks great and I didn't know that Deniro was going to be in this one. I still don't understand why it exists, but it does look like it's a top-notch performance.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 11:38:19 AM

De Niro looks to be playing the Jerry Lewis character in King of Comedy while Phoenix plays the role De Niro originally did in that film.

Could be interesting to see the parallels between the two. Other than that...meh.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:28 AM

Darth Vader didn't need a backstory.
The Xenomorphs from Alien don't need a backstory.
The Joker sure as fuck doesn't need a backstory. It was handled perfectly in the Dark Knight.

Mayor Garcia: [regarding The Joker] What do we got?
Gordon: Nothing. No matches on prints, DNA, dental. Clothing is custom, no labels. Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint. No name. No other alias.

Along with him just making up stories about his past. That's all we need.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 28, 2019, 12:01:20 PM

Trailer looked meh. Pass.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: August 28, 2019, 12:40:25 PM

If this were being made as a popcorn movie with a shitty comic movie actor, it would be shitty.  The fact that it's Joaquin Phoenix makes me interested.

Note that, like schild, I enjoy movies that make me viscerally uncomfortable.  There's a good chunk of people who watch comic movies to feel good and this will Not Be That, I'm pretty confident.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #55 on: August 28, 2019, 05:31:05 PM

I'm looking forward to it, too.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #56 on: August 28, 2019, 06:20:08 PM

If this were being made as a popcorn movie with a shitty comic movie actor, it would be shitty.  The fact that it's Joaquin Phoenix makes me interested.

Note that, like schild, I enjoy movies that make me viscerally uncomfortable.  There's a good chunk of people who watch comic movies to feel good and this will Not Be That, I'm pretty confident.

Still squarely in the I don't understand the audience for this at all camp. I agree that it looks like they are putting real talent in a position to seriously try to...   create a quasi-realistic humanizing origin story for the joker? the fuck? did we want that?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: August 28, 2019, 06:40:44 PM

Maybe the WB execs were jealous of the #thanosdidnothingwrong memes/hashtag?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 29, 2019, 04:12:41 AM

Yeah, that's my point too Hoax.

Ok, fair enough, it might be an ok Movie, though the trailer personally leaves me cold as a stone, but what the fuck is it actually all about ?  It just seems hugely 'for the sake of it' and I don't get it.

Who knows, it might be the next Logan, but.... I dunno.  Not feeling it at all.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 29, 2019, 05:11:17 AM

I thought it looked fun.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 29, 2019, 09:24:02 AM

….

Ok.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 29, 2019, 09:28:43 AM

Fun? Nah. Tragic, horrifying, yes.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 29, 2019, 11:08:28 AM

I think this will be a good movie but I have almost no interest in watching it. I guess it's because I'm not really interested in a Joker origin story. The Killing Joke was awesome but I think part of what makes it great is the Joker himself isn't sure what really happened to him.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 29, 2019, 11:16:14 AM

I’m torn.  I agree with the above sentiment.  OTOH, it looks compelling.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: August 29, 2019, 11:17:24 AM

if you give a single shit about comics and characters in comics, this movie is just not for you
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 29, 2019, 11:35:25 AM

Uh.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 29, 2019, 11:41:49 AM

That’s.....a bit extreme.

What if I only care a smallish amount?

schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: August 29, 2019, 12:54:33 PM

That’s.....a bit extreme.

What if I only care a smallish amount?

sounds like you don't really care then
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 29, 2019, 01:59:35 PM

if you give a single shit about comics and characters in comics, this movie is just not for you

Possibly, but I don't exactly follow the reasoning. I'm fine with different takes on characters (well, normally speaking; I like Chris Pratt in the MCU, as long as I think of him as playing Chris Pratt and not SL).

One interesting thing is as of right now there's no evidence that this Joker is a mass murderer. Maybe he's more of an anarchist than a supervillain. I can dig it. I just don't necessarily want to see it, if that makes sense.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: August 29, 2019, 02:28:21 PM

It just seems hugely 'for the sake of it' and I don't get it.

No, you do get it. It's a character study that the director wanted to do and somehow, he convinced Warner Bros. execs to fund it. I don't know what the WB execs were thinking when they greenlit it, but it really only exists because someone wanted to do it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Joker (2019)  
Jump to: