Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: Far From Home 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spider-Man: Far From Home  (Read 31639 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:01 PM

Thor 2 bad is pretty harsh.

I guess I do have at least one issue with this movie though which is that it requires Peter to make a fuckstupid decision, and that the villain's plot to get Peter make said stupid decision is pretty nonsensical when you think about it for even a second.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 01:28:55 PM

I'm not seeing spiderman til 10pm tonight, but tell you what

there's absolutely no world where its as bad as thor 2

i have to assume ironwood had a stroke and saw a limited engagement screening of that new netflix sandler/aniston vehicle
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:48 PM

The movie was entertaining, funny and charming. Much more fun to watch than Endgame.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 03, 2019, 01:36:44 PM

The movie was like a fucking awful European vacation with actors who were all, to a man, phoning it in except the bad guy.

Oh and hey, Stark's dead so let's make another fucking film that's all about him again.  Jesus.

Also, what the fuck was up with Colbie Smulders ?  She looks really, really ill.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 02:59:54 PM

It was fun and light without being insubstantial. Yes, Peter made dumb decisions. He does that. It's as much his character as it is Batman's character to plan ahead and train obsessively.

I kind of agree on the cast--

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 04:02:23 PM

Yes, Peter made dumb decisions. He does that. It's as much his character as it is Batman's character to plan ahead and train obsessively.

I... completely disagree with that.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 07:21:36 PM

Peter Parker has a nearly infinitely long history of making spectacularly dumb decisions and then rolling them back when he remembers that great power = great responsibility. Seriously. It is very nearly the character's defining characteristic.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: July 03, 2019, 10:48:47 PM

This movie was fuckin great.
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: July 04, 2019, 12:03:28 AM

Alright, let's deal with Ironwoods absolute nonsense -

1. bro you're old and didn't go on an american eurotrip in high school with ridiculous teachers - this movie was absolutely perfect in that regard

2. also, you're old

-

As for Jake being the best thing in the movie. Nah. It was Iron Man Jr. Jake was fairly terrible once he turned off the lies, he was decent as a friend of spidey but as a villain he was a bit of a putz. But that's kind of the problem with every villain Spiderman has, they all kind of suck. I don't know why. A villain shows up in Spideys orbit and he becomes poop.

MJ was great.

Happy and May were great.

Hell, even the Asian friend was great.

As I said, it was fuckin great.

I'm glad we got Iron Man 4.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 04, 2019, 06:18:58 AM

They did a reasonably good job updating Mysterio--there was a sort of metacommentary there
Spider-Man's villains being putzes is kind of the point too--his villains are a lot like The Flash's, they're people whose powers are potentially very strong but who are so petty and small-minded that they can only think of cashing in via crime. Though the movies as a whole found a way to make Doctor Octopus way more interesting. Norman Osborn can be, but not in that outfit the first film used.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 08:52:52 PM

...Also, what the fuck was up with Colbie Smulders ?  She looks really, really ill.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 11:56:55 PM

As for Jake being the best thing in the movie. Nah. It was Iron Man Jr. Jake was fairly terrible once he turned off the lies, he was decent as a friend of spidey but as a villain he was a bit of a putz. But that's kind of the problem with every villain Spiderman has, they all kind of suck. I don't know why. A villain shows up in Spideys orbit and he becomes poop.

It's been a long, long time since I read any comics with Mysterio but to my memory he was always kind of a putz so this was pretty fitting really.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 05, 2019, 06:44:55 AM

We need to quit using "accurate to the comics" to excuse the shitty parts, there is a good reason why only 17 assholes read comics any more.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 05, 2019, 03:51:35 PM

Except. I'm gonna say that the entire region the MCU is great is that Kevin Feige is a Marvel comics nerd. Meaning, he fetches up bits and pieces of comics without being too handcuffed to getting it exactly right to the comic. In Endgame when Hulk is supporting the weight of the flooding basement, that's a ref to Hulk holding up a mountain in Secret Wars--a dumb comic that no one should ever adapt, but a visually cool notation to cite just ever so little in that way.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 05, 2019, 03:55:50 PM

Oh sure, milk the shit out of the good stuff. Just don't try to lampshade the dumb with "because comics".

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 05, 2019, 03:57:32 PM

For sure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 05:25:10 PM

Except. I'm gonna say that the entire region the MCU is great is that Kevin Feige is a Marvel comics nerd.

no it's because every single good one realized their shit only exists because of Iron Man / RDJ / Favreau so they just keep doing that

over and over again

and its great

I think we're on Iron Man 23 now

but yes, Feige keeps the trains running on time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 05:55:21 PM

Entire REASON. sigh.

But really, honestly, MCU and the Snyder Murderverse diverge first and foremost because Feige wasn't humiliated by the source material, and Snyder and the entire deck of WB execs involved were ashamed to be making movies from comic books. Feige wasn't, so he could do deep dives into the material AND recruit creatives who felt the same way that he did. The WB people were listening to Snyder and Goyer and thinking the only way to make this shit prove out was to hate it, because the Serious Critics loved Nolan's take on Batman, which was as minimally comic-booky as it could manage.
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 06:02:01 PM

the problem with DC is the source material IS shameful

batman gets a pass because of heath ledger

without heath ledger it's an OK trilogy but something no one is rewatching
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 06:08:46 PM

Saw this today and really dug it. I think they've finally got a good balance of Peter Parker story and Spider-Man story (i.e. the previous 2 movies had great Parker/MJ character stuff but the villains were atrocious - these have both). I actually liked their take on MJ and how all that fit together. Their use of Mysterio was PERFECT, or I should say, a perfect adaptation to the MCU. This is how you do a character that is super dumb in the comics and still make it work on screen.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 09:15:52 PM

The first one is probably my least favorite MCU movie.  I like Holland as Spider-man, and much of the side cast was great, but plotting and dialog had me pausing it and walking away constantly.  So I have low expectations for this one.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: July 05, 2019, 09:19:03 PM

The first one is probably my least favorite MCU movie.

i will fight you
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #57 on: July 05, 2019, 09:25:47 PM

Yes, I know, you and everybody else.  Just did not enjoy it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: July 05, 2019, 09:28:02 PM

you're ground meat, guy
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 05, 2019, 10:33:35 PM

The first one has probably one of my favorite scenes in any MCU movie. That being the entire car ride where Peter knows his girlfriend's dad is the Vulture and the dad is slowly putting the pieces together. It's the most suspenseful scene in the entire MCU.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #60 on: July 05, 2019, 11:04:55 PM

I thought this one was fun. They've hit a really good tone on these Holland SM movies I think based a lot on his youthful charisma and the rest of the cast.  I like that they tend to be relatively "low stakes" in the grand scheme of things which is good.

Also, how good is it that they got
Also

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #61 on: July 06, 2019, 08:44:46 AM

Also, how good is it that they got

I actually laughed my head off loudly when I saw that. I'm totally down with that direction.

I'd definitely like to see them move the character's timeline forward a bit in the next one. I want to see a more adult Peter with this actor, because I really like what they've done with him.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 06, 2019, 02:13:34 PM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 06:10:03 AM

...I'd definitely like to see them move the character's timeline forward a bit in the next one. I want to see a more adult Peter with this actor, because I really like what they've done with him.
While I'd like to see that, too, I am ok waiting for it.  You can't go back once you go forward and there is a lot of iconic source material focused on a teen and college aged Parker.  One more HS adventure, 2 college adventures... and then get on to him being an adult.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 15, 2019, 03:24:47 PM

So I really enjoyed the movie but (and maybe I missed this) what was Mysterio trying to accomplish after the bar scene?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:08 PM

Do you mean what happened in Berlin?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 15, 2019, 05:14:30 PM

So I really enjoyed the movie but (and maybe I missed this) what was Mysterio trying to accomplish after the bar scene?

Edit by Trippy: fixed spoiler tag
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:32:18 PM by Trippy »

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 15, 2019, 11:44:13 PM

Edit by Trippy: fixed spoiler tag

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #68 on: July 16, 2019, 12:07:27 AM

Oh, now I understand your question.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 16, 2019, 07:48:28 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Spider-Man: Far From Home  
Jump to: