Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad 2  (Read 11867 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: October 09, 2018, 09:50:08 PM

To be written and possibly directed by Jimmy Gunn.

Linky

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:30:35 PM

What a delicious "Fuck you" to the idiots at Disney who decided to fire him.

I'd rather have him work at Guardians of the Galaxy 3, but he can make a good Suicide Squad movie as well I guess.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 02:06:28 AM

Ayep.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:07:14 AM

Added note, Dave Bautista said to sign him up on Twitter. That'd be the icing on the fuck you cake.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:22:02 AM

Bautista as Killer Croc would be fun.

I just don't get what the fuck Warner Bros. is thinking. Making a new Suicide Squad movie that isn't a sequel but may or may not have the same cast just shows how fucking idiotic they are, flailing from one idea to the next from week to week. Gunn would do a great job with it, but I don't think they need a reboot, just a better script. He will give them a better script.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:38:17 AM

It maybe needs a reboot if they're soft-rebooting the whole damn DCCU. 

Besides, if you hire Gunn, you want him to feel no constraints about going with past actors/concepts.

The problem with the Suicide Squad is that it takes a fairly inhabited superhero universe to be a really fun concept. You can't have a team of colorful supervillains being forced to work together by The Man while they scheme against each other and their controllers if you don't have an established universe full of superheroes or secretive paramilitaries that put the bad guys in jail in the first place. The mix you need is kind of what they went for (badly) in the first film: a villain with high name recognition (Joker, Luthor, Riddler, Reverse-Flash, Brainiac, Two-Face, Black Manta, Captain Cold), some villains who have interesting backstories/concepts/personalities, the villain who has some slightly heroic or admirable qualities, and a couple of scrub red-shirt villains who are meant to get killed. Having even a sketch of a universe takes a bit of the heavy lifting that requires off the table.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 10:51:09 AM

Redband trailer is now out.  Cautiously optimistic but really I just want to go back to the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfl53R8AJ4c

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 04:11:25 PM

STARRO, BITCHES  Heart awesome, for real
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 07:15:53 AM

I guess we need Idris Elba to play Surlyboi in the f13 movie.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 11:21:21 AM

For a DC movie, that is a pretty good trailer.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 11:41:30 AM

So this time I don't think they cut a grimdark dour film up for a trailer that made it seem improbably lively and funny, I think this time we're actually seeing the movie they made.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 05:59:22 PM

The original Suicide Squad had an amazing trailer.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 01:03:48 AM

I guess we need Idris Elba to play Surlyboi in the f13 movie.

I wouldn't be opposed. He'd just have to work on a solid non-regional American accent and occasionally dip into Stringer Bell when necessary. 

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 06:03:40 AM

In fairness that was very much a non-fun movie that was then hastily re-edited and trailered to be a more fun 'Deadpool style' film. This one is looking much more likely to have actually been shot with that in mind so the optimists are hoping that this time it should be accurate for the tone of the movie at least.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 06:38:28 AM

In fairness that was very much a non-fun movie that was then hastily re-edited and trailered to be a more fun 'Deadpool style' film. This one is looking much more likely to have actually been shot with that in mind so the optimists are hoping that this time it should be accurate for the tone of the movie at least.

Thats the point, you can make a great trailer even if the movie is shitty. Queen does help a lot.

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 08:48:02 AM

Ya. think a Twilight trailer with "I want to Break free" playing.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2021, 04:34:30 PM

I liked it. I didn't think it was the best ever--not nearly as much fun as the first Guardians of the Galaxy, for example--there's a bit of a sour, dark feeling around the edges, as there should be given the property. But some lovely touches, memorable scenes, etc. and it hums along nicely.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2021, 05:01:37 PM

Cena was great in this, the whole cast did great. Was nice seeing Idris Elba completely buy in the goofyness of the entire thing. The massacre of the freedom fighters was the highlight of the film.

I am the .00000001428%
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 05:08:31 PM

Stallone delivered his lines very well I thought.

Also, I am now, officially, one degree of separation from Idris Elba. I had several classes with one of the control room team in college.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 08:02:35 PM

Yeah, the freedom fighters scene was both great and  ACK! in terms of there being really no reckoning for it. Gunn leans hard into these folks being bad people where the opportunities for more human narrative arcs are doled out sparingly but where the bad people part is also laid out matter of factly and without a lot of hand-wringing about it. As it often was in Ostrander's long run on the comic.

Cena is really great in it. Whether or not that was a special effect in the underwear scene.  awesome, for real

Actually everybody's great. Really not an off performance in the whole thing. Gunn gets the most out of his cast.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 09:25:11 PM

It's amazing how good you can make stupid looking shit work when you get good creators involved who don't feel ashamed that they are doing comic book movies. It's a giant fucking starfish and it looked like a dude in a costume flailing around a la early Godzilla movies, and yet it totally works. Every performance was good. Cena nailed the character completely and I cannot wait to see the 8-episode TV series (5 of the episodes directed by Gunn) about Peacemaker. It's clear they meant Bloodsport to be Deadshot with Will Smith at first, and while I would have liked to have seen him reprise the character, Elba was even better. Clearly, the best DCEU movie ever (not that it had a lot of competition).

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 06:56:55 AM

It's clear they meant Bloodsport to be Deadshot with Will Smith at first, and while I would have liked to have seen him reprise the character, Elba was even better. Clearly, the best DCEU movie ever (not that it had a lot of competition).

It actually worked better with the more ambiguous Bloodsport, Will Smith's Deadshot was very obviously a good guy.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2021, 08:09:08 AM

Corto Maltese does have a helluva big army, by the way, it kind of felt like half the island was in uniform.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 07:39:20 AM

Fun movie all in all. I really enjoyed how much they leaned into the goofiness rather than trying to make it a overly serious.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 09, 2021, 11:45:23 AM

Yeah, though there's some really dark shit if you pause to think about it for even a few seconds. If you have to do grimdark content, this shows you how to do it while still having a lot of fun and being genuinely visually imaginative. The only thing in the whole movie that even looks like the comics is Jotunheim itself, and in the comics, it's about five times taller and set into a cliff in North Africa and full of evil super-guys being trained as terrorists. Just another thing that was bad about Snyder: grimdark with zero sense of fun but ALSO zero visual imagination, since Snyder's thing in his films is mostly to quote actual comics visualizations and then elaborate them a bit. (When he does do his own thing, it's dumb shit like making Doomsday look like a cross between a cave troll from LOTR and Mr. Potato Head.)  Gunn has a genuinely great visual imagination, even the shit that maybe doesn't work perfectly like Harley having cartoon flowers and bluebirds behind her is interesting.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 12:35:26 PM

It was entertaining but I don't think anywhere on the level of Gunn's work on the GotG movies. Aside from Ratcatcher II I don't think the movie ever really gets past playing most of its characters for laughs and ultimately the story doesn't add up to much either. Fun but completely forgettable.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2021, 02:05:45 PM

Yeah, you don't end up invested in anybody except Ratcatcher II and maybe Bloodsport. I think the movie wants you to care a bit about Polka-Dot Man, but he never really rises above what one of the other characters calls him (Bargain Norman Bates, or something like that).

I guess I ended up invested some in Rick Flag but only in that last fight.

You certainly don't feel like you care very much about the future adventures of any of the characters as characters, much as you might enjoy watching a Movie By James Gunn, compared to something like GoTG.

EDIT: I was also surprised that Javelin's javelin was in the end just a javelin.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 03:01:17 PM

There's something about David Dastmalchian, going all the way back to my first time seeing him in his bit role in Dark Knight where he's getting interrogated by Dent, where just due to the way he looks and his expressiveness he can look like just a creepy, crazy motherfucker but also be sympathetic at the same time.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 28, 2021, 06:16:56 PM

Well I have to say I liked this movie primarily because they actually did a suicide squad movie and not something something staring Harley Quinn. I mean I'm more of a "task force x" justice league unlimited lover of the concept so maybe I don't have the greatest appreciation for what the suiciide squad is currently in the comics. But this movie worked, despite the multiple areas of cringe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: August 28, 2021, 09:36:18 PM

This is pretty close to the comic version of the Suicide Squad only with more humor.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 29, 2021, 08:00:34 PM

There's actually quite a bit of humor in the older comic, mostly at the expense of Captain Boomerang.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 30, 2021, 01:53:19 AM

The concept of a suicide squad is great, what matters is the execution. Obvious comment is obvious.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 06, 2021, 04:06:17 PM

I enjoyed this about 1000X more than the last movie. It was better on literally every level and yes, I think Idris Elba was much, much more interesting than Will Smith. I actually spent the entire movie more or less chanting "don't let character X die." And there was a moment where I thought "holy shit, the puppy is about to get kicked..."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #33 on: September 06, 2021, 06:04:57 PM

Yeah, I like the first as grimdark drek salvaged by Margot Robbie going over the top with the camp and fan service. This was a better movie in every way.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 11, 2021, 07:28:26 AM

Just watched this and it was a fun movie, as everyone has said. I really enjoyed the intro section and it worked really well to lay out clearly for the audience what the Suicide Squad is meant to be and what the stakes are for the characters .

Also I too thought the way Starro worked was to control its victims but if the main organism was killed, the people being controlled were released. The thing is it's impossible to remove the Starros without killing the host due to needing to basically peel off their whole face. Changing that up made the move really dark for anyone who actually thinks through the consequences for Corto Malta...

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 2  
Jump to: