Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 52414 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 08:09:48 PM

I would like to register a complaint about the artistic liberties this movie has taken with the original costume.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 10:24:12 PM

AT LAST! A BOLD NEW SUPER-HEROINE IN THE SENSES-STUNNING TRADTION OF SPIDER-MAN!

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 11:30:21 PM

Saw this during the game last night. I thought it looked pretty badly put together. But that's 99% I don't like Brie Larson.

Now, Jessie Graff? She would've been a badass Cap.

Or maybe Zoe Bell. You know, the badass stuntwomen that make cream puffs like Larson look badass in movies.
Sorry man, all that girl looks like she can do is kick a punching bag really hard and stuff.  She just doesn't look like a woman who can shoot laser beams from her hands, pick up an entire bus by herself, and fly through the cold vacuum of space unharmed.  Terrible casting choice.

Some of you people always bring up how they need to cast some roided out MMA chick to make a magic comic book super hero believable, and it never stops being silly.  The only thing I've seen her in was Kong: Skull Island, which I did not like, but it wasn't because of anything she did.  She will be a better actress than any of those people you named, so that already makes her a far better choice.  Also also, she actually looks pretty solidly built in that trailer.  The girl you are posting above seems more scrawny in comparison.

ANYWAYS, as to the trailer, I'm still kind of meh on it.  Nothing looks bad, but nothing about it really entertained me the way most Marvel Trailers do.  Seems a little by the books, and I can't help but get a Green Lantern feel from it......

Power wise, I really hope they try to constrain things and keep her in balance.  In the past she's literally been Superman (or stronger) in power level, which makes for a terrible hero.  Just from that trailer, in practicality, she's pretty much the same power set as Ironman (who, to be fair, they keep raising his every damn movie).  Hopefully that's it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 11:37:39 PM

Not going to get into the debate as such, but the "girl you are posting above" is a legitimate, world class badass.  Can she act?  No idea.  But it is a little insane that people say they should cast someone like Jessie Graff, because there probably only has ever been one or two women like this in the entire history of the world. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #39 on: December 05, 2018, 12:04:10 AM

Just from that trailer, in practicality, she's pretty much the same power set as Ironman (who, to be fair, they keep raising his every damn movie).  Hopefully that's it.
Not according to Kevin Feige who said "She is more powerful than any character we’ve introduced thus far". But really it seems unlikely she's more powerful than MCU Thor.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 03:44:56 AM

My only real issue is how they're going to deal with the timeline and how badly it seems to fuck with it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 05, 2018, 05:43:37 AM

Trailer looks the same as every marvel movie that isn't GotG. And that is fine.

Complaints about the casting are dumb.

There, think I covered everything.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 05, 2018, 05:49:31 AM

My only real issue is how they're going to deal with the timeline and how badly it seems to fuck with it.

I refer you to the wise words of Basil Exposition.

https://youtu.be/1SPk3NjYfmQ

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 05, 2018, 06:06:05 AM

Yeah, I thought it was fine? But it didn't particularly get my jaw dropping or put into a fever of anticipation. I think the major thing that's sort of interesting is that each film they do it taking them closer to full-on comic-book. Think about the first Iron Man--they were really pretty careful about effects-heavy scenes and worked pretty hard to keep some form of 'realism' in the frame. Even the first Thor was sort of careful in that way (partly because a lot of it is depowered fish-out-of-water Thor on Earth). But now they're much more confident (and maybe less cheap) about the visual tropes of comic books, and you can kind of see it in that trailer.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 05, 2018, 06:39:29 AM

Whoever gets cast in a "new" MCU franchise is going to expect to be there for at least ten years, so it's better to get younger actors for their new characters. That is, at least until de-aging tech gets a *lot* cheaper.

I thought the CGI was pretty, but it also looks unfinished. At least, I hope it's unfinished. There were some uncanny valley moments in the scenes where she's blasting through space.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 06:46:07 AM

I refer you to the wise words of Basil Exposition.

https://youtu.be/1SPk3NjYfmQ

Yeah, I'm really not that bothered.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 05, 2018, 07:18:48 AM

Not going to get into the debate as such, but the "girl you are posting above" is a legitimate, world class badass.  Can she act?  No idea.  But it is a little insane that people say they should cast someone like Jessie Graff, because there probably only has ever been one or two women like this in the entire history of the world. 
... and?  Can she act is issue #1 for an actress.  We've seen 4'8" ancient women carry enough gravitas to crush your balls witha stare... and most of her physical fighting will be pure CGI. 

I'm not sold that Kree Larsen is the ideal CM, but she is a pretty good actress.  We don't get the best of the movie in the trailers - especially the earl ones - so I'm eager to see where it goes on the screen.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 05, 2018, 07:33:24 AM

I've been butthurt about 4 actor choices in superhero movies: Michael Keaton, Heath Ledger, Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck. I was wrong all 4 times. (Affleck's acting was fine, the scripts and movies were just shit.)

I'm not going to worry about Brie Larson until I see the movie. Also, I just realized all 4 of those were DC and 3 of them had to do with Batman. Huh.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:53 AM

I thought the guy they cast as Ozymandias in Watchmen was horrible and I was right.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #49 on: December 05, 2018, 08:05:12 AM

I've been butthurt about 4 actor choices in superhero movies: Michael Keaton, Heath Ledger, Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck. I was wrong all 4 times. (Affleck's acting was fine, the scripts and movies were just shit.)

I'm not going to worry about Brie Larson until I see the movie. Also, I just realized all 4 of those were DC and 3 of them had to do with Batman. Huh.
Except where you were right about Keaton and Affleck. Brand Echh.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 05, 2018, 08:20:09 AM

There's only really been one genius choice casting-wise for Bruce Wayne/Batman and that's Kevin Conroy. Everybody else has their flaws in the role.

I don't have strong feelings about Captain Marvel as a character in part because her origins and personality and even powers in the comics have been so variable. There's a huge range in which to get it "right", more or less--and some degree of forgiveness about getting it "wrong", since you'd have to do something REALLY weird to be "wrong" about the character. The only essentials I can see are:

she's powerful
she flies
she's got some kind of connection to space/the Kree
she's a fighter jock/ex-military
she's got some kind of feminist 'hook'
she's got amnesia that she's overcome or overcoming
she's blonde

Looks like they've got all that going.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 10:34:06 AM

Just from that trailer, in practicality, she's pretty much the same power set as Ironman (who, to be fair, they keep raising his every damn movie).  Hopefully that's it.
Not according to Kevin Feige who said "She is more powerful than any character we’ve introduced thus far". But really it seems unlikely she's more powerful than MCU Thor.

Yeah, I guess we'll see.  I've been afraid they'll think they're clever by making the strongest hero in the MCU be a woman, and go overboard by introducing literal Superman to the MCU, which would be horrible.  We'll have to see what they do with her in the movies.

Just saying that on the surface, you can watch that entire trailer and imagine Ironman in her place when she is doing any action stuff, and it works.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 12:06:09 PM

I really want the MCU to replace Tony Stark with Riri Williams (teenage black girl genius invents Tony Stark level Iron Man armor) just to see the shithead explosion.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 12:12:40 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 06:50:49 PM

caring about who is cast as superheroes is edgelord shit

edit: oh boy i missed an entire page, but seriously
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 07:17:08 PM

My only issue, thus far, with Brie Larson's casting is the voice. Just seems too high an octave to me, for some reason. I've heard some say she's intentionally done it for the role, but as someone who's not seen her in, well, anything else, I haven't the slightest clue -- and since it's just a minor quibble I'm not bothered enough to look into it. Though the claims she's done it to make the character come across as more feminine is.. amusing, regardless of whether it's true or not.

Well, actually, I do have another issue with her from what I've seen in the trailer; she doesn't seem that comfortable with green screen acting, like she isn't entirely sure how to emote or such. Saw a couple people mention it on trailer breakdowns and I agree. Still, I don't think it is that huge of an issue. All I want from Marvel movies is popcorn entertainment. If this delivers; great. If not.. it probably won't be (just?) because of the casting.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 10:22:50 PM

... and?  Can she act is issue #1 for an actress.  We've seen 4'8" ancient women carry enough gravitas to crush your balls witha stare... and most of her physical fighting will be pure CGI. 

I'm not sold that Kree Larsen is the ideal CM, but she is a pretty good actress.  We don't get the best of the movie in the trailers - especially the earl ones - so I'm eager to see where it goes on the screen.

Uh, I am not sure we disagree here.  My point is simply that saying something like "find someone like Jessie Graff, who is both good looking and a real life physical genius" is fairly absurd, because she is basically one of a kind.  And she probably cannot act well enough.  And if she could act well enough, she would literally would be one of a kind.

No, I learned my lesson with Wonder Woman.  It may have been the only time I made a heart felt mis-casting rant, and I ate plenty of crow afterwards.  She was basically perfect for the role.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:11 AM

Also, basically perfect full stop.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 06, 2018, 02:50:31 AM

Also, basically perfect full stop.

I wouldn't be wrong to say that I was completely in love with Gal Gadot for at least the duration of that movie.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 06, 2018, 10:03:05 AM

Meh i still think the casting for wonder woman sucks. Too skinny, she does a good job of being a somewhat stilted Diana which is fine because everything else about DC is god damn awful. Captain Marvel should go for a thicker or more curvier girl but you start getting into non-white actor female territories (and i can't even imagine that shit storm even if marvel has the balls to do it) and it's not like she won't be CGI character when allowed to cut loose. So skinny girls get thrown a bone, scarlet joe and the entire female cast of black panther is comic accurate enough to make up for it. Though if they really want to show how much they fucked up let her stand next to Okoye.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:50:00 PM by MediumHigh »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:23 AM

I figured Ronda Rousey would have cured anyone of the whole "cast thicker girls" kick.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 12:16:57 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 06:59:22 PM

I went to this today. It was really good. The theater was only 60-70% full which I find concerning. Maybe the Incels actually are having an impact on its business.

It had some great lines. The de-aging was seemless. Seriously, you couldn't tell on Samuel L. Jackson. The credits scenes were good though one had me asking a question as I walked back to my car.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 07:24:09 PM

I saw it on Wednesday which was opening night here. Theatre was mostly full and it was on in 7 of the 8 screens at the multiplex.
I liked it in general but the mid-point twist was really badly handled and basically boiled down to a giant plot coupon being handed out. The effects were great and the visuals were strong too, although I really wish that Marvel would stop leaning so heavily on the teal/orange split toning. I liked the new Marvel ident at the beginning, was a good tribute to Stan. The movie does a good job of tying in the continuities from other MCU titles to the whole arc - specifically GoTG and the Avengers and it sorta also acts as an origin story for Fury and Coulson too. The mid-90s comupter scenes had me grinning widely and there's a heavy coating of grunge-era musical nostalgia running through the main act.
It's a sold middle of the pack movie for me. Not as good as Iron Man, Ant Man2 or GoTG, better than IM2, GoTG2 and Avengers.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 07:59:29 PM

Without spoilering things much, how is her power level?  Like, basically equivalent of Thor or Iron-man?  Or did they create Marvel Superman?

-Stephen Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #65 on: March 07, 2019, 08:03:55 PM

Without spoilering things much, how is her power level?  Like, basically equivalent of Thor or Iron-man?  Or did they create Marvel Superman?
It's the second one. She would break Iron Man or Thor in half without even noticing.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 10:26:01 PM

I saw it on Wednesday which was opening night here. Theatre was mostly full and it was on in 7 of the 8 screens at the multiplex.
I liked it in general but the mid-point twist was really badly handled and basically boiled down to a giant plot coupon being handed out. The effects were great and the visuals were strong too, although I really wish that Marvel would stop leaning so heavily on the teal/orange split toning. I liked the new Marvel ident at the beginning, was a good tribute to Stan. The movie does a good job of tying in the continuities from other MCU titles to the whole arc - specifically GoTG and the Avengers and it sorta also acts as an origin story for Fury and Coulson too. The mid-90s comupter scenes had me grinning widely and there's a heavy coating of grunge-era musical nostalgia running through the main act.
It's a sold middle of the pack movie for me. Not as good as Iron Man, Ant Man2 or GoTG, better than IM2, GoTG2 and Avengers.
IM2 had the SuitCase. So.
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 10:26:30 PM

Also, yeah, she's massively overpowered. No I haven't seen the movie, but IW gave it away.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 07, 2019, 11:22:48 PM

I haven't seen the movie but based on the trailers (all the glowing she does) the version they're going with should be more powerful than anyone including Thanos (I say this because the reality stone doesn't actually control reality apparently).

If you want a corollary there's Dark Phoenix in X3 and in the upcoming movie (and regular Phoenix at the end of Apocalypse).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 08, 2019, 12:15:25 AM

Seen it.  Her full power level is not that clear, but clearly at Thor+ territory.

I'd say they handled a powerful female character as well as Wonder Woman, if not better.   There were a couple cutesy things I could have lived without, but Larson really brought it.  Charismatic as hell.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain Marvel  
Jump to: