Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018  (Read 65756 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #175 on: July 16, 2018, 12:22:41 PM

He knows people throw the ball with their hands there?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: July 16, 2018, 01:22:37 PM

Um perhaps I should've put my post in green text.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: July 16, 2018, 01:33:57 PM

Ah, my mistake then.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:36 PM

The word deliberate is in there because otherwise strikers would just try and hit the extremities of defenders and try to coax penalties out of that.
Well there's also a part of the rule that states distance the ball travelled must be taken into account.

Worth a read.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 17, 2018, 03:16:39 AM

Yeah I know.

Distance travelled should be considered because if the distance is short the player may not have enough time to even react or to only react unconsciously.
The VAR review provides the referee footage in super slow motion though. I don't think that you can correctly gauge speed and distance over time if you're reviewing an incident with 1000 fps footage and could potentioly single step through the incident in 1 ms increments.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 17, 2018, 04:07:18 AM

The trouble with that and the wording deliberate is completely counteracted by the fact that muscle memory and instincts play a major part in football and similar sports, basketball etc. From my own experiences playing you do things in a split second and afterwards you had no idea that you were first capable of it and it wasn't something you preconceived, you just did it intuitively. But this also has a negative effect where sometimes you may unintentionally move your arm towards the ball to stop it. This was the case with the Perisic penalty, he didn't intentionally move his arm towards the ball, he just instinctively blocked it with his hand when he should have kept it away.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: July 17, 2018, 04:18:32 AM

Perisic is also a volleyball player and has played in at least one professional tournament.

I can totally understand if it was his volleyball reflexes taking over in that moment.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 17, 2018, 05:05:40 AM

Ha, I didn't know that, would totally make sense.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 17, 2018, 07:01:27 AM

The chant 'Kante, he is small, he is nice, he shutdown Lionel Messi' might be the best thing about France winning.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #184 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:08 AM

Yeah I know.

Distance travelled should be considered because if the distance is short the player may not have enough time to even react or to only react unconsciously.
The VAR review provides the referee footage in super slow motion though. I don't think that you can correctly gauge speed and distance over time if you're reviewing an incident with 1000 fps footage and could potentioly single step through the incident in 1 ms increments.

I actually thought I heard the broadcasters say that the refs can't look at calls in super-slo-mo, they have to look at it in real-time.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:02 AM

according to Wikipedia it should be both.

“There are guidelines the referee and the VAR should follow in conducting a video review. For example, slow motion should only be used for "point of contact" offences, such as physical offences and handballs. Regular speed should be used to determine the intensity of an offence and whether a handball was deliberate”
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #186 on: July 17, 2018, 11:31:08 AM

If you don't want to get hit by the ball, perhaps in the hand and get a penalty for it...maybe don't jump in front of the ball?

I like the World Cup format generally, and thought the final was a good game...but holy hell is there some whining when it comes to soccer/football/whatever.

- No game is going to be perfectly called. That being said, that free kick was not an assured goal, but at the same time it wasn't luck - he made the right play to put the ball into a scoring position off the kick. Deflections happen, even off the opposing team. That's why you get the ball to the front of the net - good things can happen.

- Accidental or not, that's a handball, and no amount of kvetching will change that. The arm is off the side of the body, it's not blocking anything "vital," and in fact moved down to the path of the ball.

- Third France goal was a horrendous play by Croatia. Weak defense, poor defensive awareness, and then the goalie gets zero jump on that ball.

- Fourth France goal saw the same flatfootedness from the Croatia keeper, soft defense in front, and he makes zero play off of what is essentially a straight unscreened shot.

However, that late Croatia goal was a result of pure stupidity from the French keeper. Seriously, what the fuck - get rid of the ball.

Still an entertaining game, and a much better result for most viewers than the usual low-scoring/low-risk affair.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup - Russia 2018  
Jump to: