Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 63725 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: May 07, 2018, 08:46:59 AM

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: May 07, 2018, 11:21:38 AM

The Russos are pretty clear that Avengers 4 is not based upon existing comics...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 07, 2018, 11:59:33 AM

They stuck the landing with a high degree of difficulty, this was a good movie.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: May 07, 2018, 01:10:33 PM

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 07, 2018, 01:23:11 PM

They stuck the landing with a high degree of difficulty, this was a good movie.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: May 07, 2018, 02:26:13 PM

Cap or tony use it and self sacrifice. Its predictable and the only way it can end but damn if it wont still be emotional as fuck after a ten year run.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 07, 2018, 02:43:04 PM

I think we get one sacrifice and one retirement. Cap dies, Tony retires. Just because Downey's contract is over doesn't mean they can't bring him in for an occasional cameo as an elder statesman.

I am the .00000001428%
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: May 07, 2018, 04:37:40 PM

Hawkeye is also dying. That one is very obvious.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 07, 2018, 05:32:26 PM

No way, after we met his family Hawkeye has the best plot armor.

I am the .00000001428%
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: May 07, 2018, 11:22:31 PM

There is Pepper somwhere for Tony.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #150 on: May 08, 2018, 02:55:40 AM

I’ll be disappointed if they do have them, just because it means they’ll have to come up with some really stupid reason to bring the characters back when they make a sequel later.  Just like every time some idiot comic book writers things he’ll be edgy by ‘killing’ one of the heroes.

Just accept all of these guys are immortal and enjoy the show people.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: May 08, 2018, 04:19:49 AM

I'm still pretty sure that fiddling with time will:

recast the OGs, but the OGs will get to do something heroic that essentially involves them sacrificing themselves as far as they know it

do something that reboots the MCU slightly such that there have always been mutants

make captain marvel a part of the OG Avengers

I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see a postcredit Avengers 4 scene that features Victor von Doom.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: May 08, 2018, 05:38:54 AM

I really, really hope they don't recast anyone. I wouldn't mind Cap and Tony passing the torch, with Bucky (or whoever) taking up the shield and becoming Captain America and someone else becoming Iron Man, but some handwavey nonsense that says "Oh this guy is Tony Stark now" instead of RDJ would be complete bullshit. I'd rather they just get killed off.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: May 08, 2018, 07:37:43 AM

I really, really hope they don't recast anyone. I wouldn't mind Cap and Tony passing the torch, with Bucky (or whoever) taking up the shield and becoming Captain America and someone else becoming Iron Man, but some handwavey nonsense that says "Oh this guy is Tony Stark now" instead of RDJ would be complete bullshit. I'd rather they just get killed off.

Agreed, recasting original characters would be soap opera levels of dumb.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #154 on: May 08, 2018, 08:58:48 AM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:09 AM

Means absolutely nothing. "Real" doesn't mean "unreversable". Also they swore up and down Hawkeye was in this movie before release.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: May 08, 2018, 02:33:52 PM

I'm still pretty sure that fiddling with time will:

recast the OGs, but the OGs will get to do something heroic that essentially involves them sacrificing themselves as far as they know it

do something that reboots the MCU slightly such that there have always been mutants

make captain marvel a part of the OG Avengers

I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see a postcredit Avengers 4 scene that features Victor von Doom.

If you want to throw away any goodwill you have with moviegoers sure, that's a plan.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: May 08, 2018, 05:00:47 PM

The recasts will annoy if they do it, but it might be a kind of rip-the-bandaid off thing that moves them into Bond territory--from here on in, anyone can be recast if they need it. Though of course they did that already with Cheadle/War Machine easily. Maybe they'll even recast and not act like it is a change in reality, who knows. The rest I think is not going to annoy anyone really--something that changes MCU reality so that mutants have always existed might well delight people if it means suddenly Wolverine joins the Avengers.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #158 on: May 09, 2018, 03:01:13 AM

Marvel is coming off their most successful solo movie yet with Black Panther (which did almost as much domestically as all three Thor movies combined). The GotG movies did better than most of the Iron Man, Thor, and Cap movies. There is no reason Disney/Marvel should feel the need to force old franchises to continue right now with recasting. Even at three releases a year they have more than enough to keep themselves busy right now with Spider-man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, GotG 3, Avengers, and possibly Black Widow, or more Dr. Strange or Ant Man. That's without even getting into whatever they end up doing with the X-men and FF once all that eventually gets finalized.

Right now I don't think they have anything to gain by doing a recast. If they want those characters available for another big crossover with Avengers, FF, X-men, Spider-man, etc..., in around 5 or 6 years they'd be better off leaving things in a place where they can bring RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth back for one movie later on.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 09, 2018, 05:18:49 AM

It's certainly another way to go if they mean to do an Avengers 5 and 6 etc. (which I assume they are planning): you just go the New Avengers route where Avengers 5 features Black Panther, Spider-Man ,Dr. Strange, Falcon, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel. It's pretty deeply part of the history of the comic, after all--Iron Man, Thor, Giant-Man and the Wasp walked away early on, leaving Captain America with his "Kooky Avengers" (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hawkeye). If you move the OGs off-stage, then you might buy yourself another decade's worth of hit movies without having to even mention those characters. And after another decade, who knows, there may just be such exhaustion with the genre that the goose will lay only a few more such eggs anyway.

But I'm still pretty sure that time travel is going to be used to shoehorn mutants into the MCU somehow rather than have them suddenly appear for the first time after Avengers 4.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: May 09, 2018, 10:02:30 AM

Not gonna lie if it was possible that Hugh Jackman rocked up in Avengers 4 putting his claws through someone's chest that'd be pretty darn awesome..:D

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: May 09, 2018, 10:12:47 AM

They've said, essentially, "We're not idiots.  We're making more Avengers movies."  However, they may not be the "Phase Bookends" that we're used to seeing... they may be more of a "GotG" in importance than a "We've built up to this for 3 to 10 years" event. 

Personally, I hope we don't "undue" Avengers 3 in Avengers 4.  I know they need to return certain characters to life, and there are some pretty clear "I'd give my life for you" build ups, but it is my hope that these characters are off the board for a year in their stories (although, for all we know, Avengers 4 will take place immediately following the events of Avengers 3).

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: May 09, 2018, 11:30:47 AM

The movies have always been supposed to be loosely chronological and take place in the years in which they are made so in universe it'll likely be 6mo-1year has passed since the end of avengers 4.  In that time however I think it's only ant man and captain marvel coming out so for anyone who "died" it wont really mean much to their individual franchises.

I'm 99% sure everyone dusted is coming back but the real question is what about those who died before that or even those who may die on the way to reversing it.  The gauntlet is shown looking pretty trashed after Thanos snaps so if using the gauntlet once to reverse the dusting will break it completely it'll be a one use deal and they may not have the power/ability to bring back anyone else.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: May 09, 2018, 03:44:52 PM

The movies have always been supposed to be loosely chronological and take place in the years in which they are made so in universe it'll likely be 6mo-1year has passed since the end of avengers 4.
There is true for some of the movies, but not all.  The events of IM 2, Thor, Cap 1 (the very end), and Incredible Hulk all take place within one week of each other (referenced as Fury's Big Week in supplementing comics).  Guardians 1 and 2 take place several years before Infinity War - and only a few months apart. Dr. Strange begins in a time frame a bit after the end of Iron Man 2 (per the reference to the guy injured in the Hammer armor) and ends at an uncertain time, but likely before Ultron. 

Check out this timeline that some obsessed folks assembled using all available resources - you'll want to really pay attention at 2011 and on...  Although some of it, in particular relating to Dr. Strange, seems off, most of it is right. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: May 09, 2018, 06:06:04 PM

I'm basically thinking that dead-dead is probably Loki, Heimdall, half the Asgardians, Xandar.

Gamora I'm guessing gets brought back to life via a different route than the rest of the deads.

I would guess at least 1-2 characters of some kind will get dead-dead in the course of Avengers 4.

Everybody else is coming back somehow.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: May 09, 2018, 06:21:31 PM

The movies have always been supposed to be loosely chronological and take place in the years in which they are made so in universe it'll likely be 6mo-1year has passed since the end of avengers 4.
There is true for some of the movies, but not all.  The events of IM 2, Thor, Cap 1 (the very end), and Incredible Hulk all take place within one week of each other (referenced as Fury's Big Week in supplementing comics).  Guardians 1 and 2 take place several years before Infinity War - and only a few months apart. Dr. Strange begins in a time frame a bit after the end of Iron Man 2 (per the reference to the guy injured in the Hammer armor) and ends at an uncertain time, but likely before Ultron. 

Check out this timeline that some obsessed folks assembled using all available resources - you'll want to really pay attention at 2011 and on...  Although some of it, in particular relating to Dr. Strange, seems off, most of it is right. 

I think you forgot to link said timeline.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #166 on: May 09, 2018, 08:12:35 PM

But I'm still pretty sure that time travel is going to be used to shoehorn mutants into the MCU somehow rather than have them suddenly appear for the first time after Avengers 4.

The timing doesn't really work out for that right now now. Avengers 4 is pretty much done filming I think, and the Disney/Fox deal likely won't go through until sometime next year assuming Fox turns down the bid Comcast just made. If they're confident the deal with go through, they can maybe start seeding some things in the Phase 4 movies to lay some groundwork.  Unless they rush things through production it probably wouldn't be until at the very least 2021 when they would have an X-men or FF movie ready to go. That works out for the best in some respects. The MCU is will be coming off of the culmination of a 10+ year storyline which is finishing off in a massive two-part crossover. They can't follow that up immediately with an X-men crossover. They need to spend a few years focusing on standalone stuff for a couple years before they start really building up to another big event.

My best guess is that there isn't going to be to massive of a change for the MCU coming out of IW. The 2019 lineup is already locked in with Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, and Spider-man 2. GotG is a likely 2020 release. I'm not sure if they can get Black Panther 2 out by 2020 but I'm sure they'd like to have it ready by then and I bet whatever the next team franchise is going to be (whether Avengers or something else) Disney is probably looking to make Black Panther a pretty prominent part of it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: May 10, 2018, 06:58:15 AM

I'm betting that going forward we'll see the bigmovies as stand alone movies rather than an Avengers movie. For example, it would be Marvels Secret Wars rather than Avengers Secret Wars.

Regardless, the most we'll get on Mutants would be a post credit stinger in Avengers 4, and I doubt We'd get a substantive movie on Mutants before 2023 in the MCU. Personally, I think they should just reboot the universe around then to incorporate everything.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: May 10, 2018, 09:34:01 AM

Cap or tony use it and self sacrifice. Its predictable and the only way it can end but damn if it wont still be emotional as fuck after a ten year run.

If we need a sacrifice for the soul stone Tony loves two people. Himself and...

I could see them being really cruel and making him sacrifice her to save half the universe and retiring in his grief. There was a time I'd have said Disney doesn't have the balls for that but then they made Rogue One and Infinity War.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: May 10, 2018, 10:13:19 AM

I'm guessing that they decided to go in a direction we would not predict based upon existing materials - and that either nobody wields the Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers 4, or it is Thanos himself that does. 

Right now, the big mystery for me is...  

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: May 10, 2018, 12:07:44 PM

I could see some ways for the "go into the past" thing to work out. Say,

1) That Strange sees that the only way to win is to have someone on Titan who was not actually there who could do something that none of them could do. E.g., the Time-Lost Avengers have to change history just enough to re-engineer the events of the first half of Avengers: Infinity War. But maybe this turns out to be really complicated because it involves getting someone there who isn't even part of the Avengers now, or someone who doesn't even exist in the MCU as it stands, etc.
2) That Strange sees that the only way to win is to convince Thor to throw his axe at Thanos' head, but to do that, the Time-Lost Avengers have to get that message to Thor in time in a way that involves changing history.
3) That Strange sees that the only way to win is for the OG Avengers to *all* chase the Chitauri back into the warp and fight Thanos right then and there, or to otherwise change the events of the first film, which requires changing history. Maybe by having Nick Fury recruit Strange himself to be part of the team then, or by otherwise changing the timeline of the Avengers and their membership.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:27 PM

I could see any of that...

... but really hope they go entirely different. I don't want to have the events of the first movie changed - I want to see them find a way to 'fix the ending' without that type of time travel cheat making so it never happened.  We know the signs that point otherwise, but I want to see a go forward solution, not a change everything solution. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: May 10, 2018, 02:01:10 PM

Where exactly has it been leaked that time travel is even a factor in the next movie or is this just speculation that is getting treated as fact?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: May 10, 2018, 02:03:50 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: May 10, 2018, 03:02:24 PM

How long do we have to put up with rampant and bullshit speculation ?

I mean, when is the next one out ?  It's next week ?  Please tell me it's next week ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  
Jump to: