Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: World of Warcraft Classic announced at Blizzcon 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft Classic announced at Blizzcon 2017  (Read 50225 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: November 03, 2017, 02:43:36 PM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 03:49:16 PM

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:58:06 PM

Hm.  I'm almost interested in that.  I enjoyed everything at the start.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:10:15 PM

I wonder if they'll handle them how EQ2 I guess handles theirs; where the playerbase votes on expansion releases and the like.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:14:50 PM

For some reason this expansion grabs me more than the previous two. Not sure why. I have successfully beaten the addiction for two full years straight....and here I am with a slight itch again.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 04:26:53 PM

I haven't played since Cataclysm killed my release day guild.

I'd probably roll with a goon guild but those dipshits insist on playing Horde pretty much exclusively, and I never liked the horde and never will. Also I've missed like what, 3-4 expansions now? I have no idea what's going on.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:30:25 PM

Interesting idea, but nah. It had its time this is just to capture the market that kept standing-up exactly this.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 04:18:54 AM

Pass. Like Lum said on FB, Bliz is gonna be disappointed when they find out people just wanted to play on the classic servers because they were free. Vanilla was great for it's time, but the game's prime, for me anyways, was Wrath.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 06:05:29 AM

Except Ulduar. Fuck that raid. Bleh.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 06:45:55 AM

Pass. Like Lum said on FB, Bliz is gonna be disappointed when they find out people just wanted to play on the classic servers because they were free. Vanilla was great for it's time, but the game's prime, for me anyways, was Wrath.
My hope is that they're not just launching Vanilla servers but progression servers, which gradually unlock new content over time. I would launch with three types of servers, we'll call them "A", "B" and "C". All servers launch as Vanilla 1.0; every X months, they introduce a major vanilla update on a regular basis, including all the class changes, adding in the new dungeons, etc. "A" servers are going to remain on Vanilla forever, so they don't get the pre-BC patch; servers "B" and "C" do, and after 2X months BC launches. The process repeats for all of the BC patches; "B" servers are forever BC, so they don't get the pre-WotLK patch but "C" servers do, followed by WotLK and then all of it's patches.

I would also allow character transfers between servers where viable; A can go to B or C, but B can't go to A once it's patched beyond vanilla, etc.

Assuming there's real demand, the ideal way to do this would be to have at least 2 of each server-type. A1, B1 and C1 would run through the patches and then stop, preserving the endgame of the given expansion forever. A2, B2 and C2 would wipe and reset on regular intervals, creating challenge-based gameplay similar to Path of Exile's races.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 08:46:55 AM

When tbc released I was so tired of vanilla that I never wanted to go back. That feeling hasn't changed. I quit the game for good a few months after cataclysm released.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 09:11:34 AM

Ulduar was probably the second best raid they put in the game. The only problems with it were the loottables (with like most of not just the high itemlevel stuff, but the best itemized stuff being on the heroic loot tables), it being invalidated by a shitty filler raid, and the difficulty tuning on heroic-mode bosses being wildly out of sync. Some were easy, some were just about perfect, some were just fucking unfair.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:14:59 AM by Fabricated »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 09:22:49 AM

The starter being a vehicle forever soured me on the dungeon itself. Even though I enjoyed the mechanics of some of the later bosses, in general I still have a "Fuck Ulduar" sentiment.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 09:38:40 AM

That opening vehicle boss was exciting once and a complete drag every time after. Particularly if you weren't doing some variant of heroic because you had to waste a shitload of time rolling around destroying all the towers to weaken the boss.

The shittiest boss in the whole place was Yogg IMO. I mean, it was a cool fight but the whole sanity mechanic fucking sucked. You died by inches- microseconds of not turning away from Yogg or not dodging this or that added up to you going insane at the literal worst time and wiping the raid. I played on the unofficial aussie server so that shit was a drag.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:49:26 AM

I'm hyped for this, but I really enjoyed vanilla and am almost certainly a minority. I think they'll get a ton of people trying it, especially people who never got a chance to play vanilla, but I doubt a whole lot will stay. Unfortunately it seems like this is still quite a ways away given the lack of detail in the announcement. I really hope they do it like Rendakor said. I had similar thoughts about making it like a PoE league where you have temporary progressive servers and main servers.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:54:32 AM

Vanilla has little appeal for me other than nostalgia. I'd love to find a good group to do about HALF of BC with and I'd play Wrath forever. Cataclysm can suck my balls. Pandaria was cool though from what I played of it.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 10:57:02 AM

Hm.  I'm almost interested in that.  I enjoyed everything at the start.

Of course you enjoyed it, but it was because launch WoW was miles ahead of absolutely everything else. That was 13 years ago though and you simply cannot recreate the massive leap forward that launch WoW was over the competition by taking a massive leap backwards. The only way you can recreate the launch WoW feeling is by making a game that is so far beyond all the current competition that it all instantly becomes obsolete.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 11:42:23 AM

The problem being that the only competition is actually WOW. Things that have been done in the MMO space that were a great leap (or even tiny step) forward since WOW?

I got nothing.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 12:05:59 PM

The next great leap is going to be full-on VR. Sword Art Online-level immersion. When that gets achieved, WoW dies.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 01:19:28 PM

Whaaaat.  Ulduar is my favorite raid ever.

I really can't say I have any interest in Vanilla WoW.  Although that's more of a generic "I do not have 40 hours a week to dedicate to playing an MMO anymore" problem.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 02:24:18 PM

Although that's more of a generic "I do not have 40 hours a week to dedicate to playing an MMO anymore" problem.
This is my biggest problem, too. And early WoW was not nearly as casual friendly as modern WoW is.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 11:33:54 PM

I doubt they'll have many people stick around past 6 months.  The nostalgia alone won't be enough to keep people and I suspect a lot of the people that have played on private servers/emu's won't be willing to pay for it.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 11:29:56 AM

Still enjoying Vanilla on the private scene...I'm looking forward to this with great anticipation.

If private server general chat is any indication, most folks seem very pumped and happy to pay.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:31:38 AM by ShenMolo »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:34 PM

"Before I get to the big news today, I want to talk about ice cream," WoW Executive Producer J. Allen Brack told the Blizzcon crowd. "I understand that for some of you, your favorite flavor is vanilla."

He deserves to be punched in the balls for that quote.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 12:10:49 AM

Although that's more of a generic "I do not have 40 hours a week to dedicate to playing an MMO anymore" problem.

Yeah, that. Can't somebody just do a game around the Arena system, Overwatch style?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 06:47:59 AM

Vanilla was great for its time and place.  Pretty certain in the year 2017 it would do nothing for me.  Game peaked for me in BC (ton of fun) and I rapidly started to fall off after wrath hit (Though there were a variety of reasons for that, many involving real life).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 06:37:33 PM

I think there are those few left that really pine for Vanilla and all it's grindy goodness. I think there are a lot of people that missed vanilla and ran after BC came out and want to experience that without really having a notion of how flawed it was, looking at it from the eyes of the WoW in the here and now. There was a reason dungeon finder was put in, a reason 40 man raids were abandoned, a reason for all the fast tracked leveling. I doubt all the players excited for a vanilla server are going to enjoy it, save for those true vanilla fans that enjoyed the masochism.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 11:59:30 PM

I wonder if this is really going to be vanilla or not.  I doubt it.  I always thought about playing some of those EQ progression servers, but never quite got around to it.  I wonder if they're really the way things used to be, I actually don't know if they really set everything back the way it was or if they've given people convenience tweaks.  Probably the latter.

In any case, I doubt WoW will be as grindy and slow and lack-of-questy as it was in the old days.  Remember entire level spreads with no quests, if you didn't kill everything on the way to and from quests?  The way people play these days, avoid anything you're not specifically told to kill, they'll be constantly running out of quests if it's real vanilla.  I bet they'll tweak things here and there and everywhere.  Because, well, most of the people who say they want vanilla, I don't think they do.  I don't think they want multi-hour Stratholme and Scholomance and Blackrock Spire runs with...what was it, ten, fifteen people back in the day?  I forget what the caps were..

But EQ progression servers have been reasonably successful, I think, so I expect WoW will have some success with this too.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:12 AM

In all honesty, I think this is a really, really dumb (or desperate) idea to try to generate a tiny bit more revenue that is going to bite them on the ass hard.

I mean, from everything anyone has ever hinted at, it is pretty much impossible to straight up re-launch pure vanilla WoW on their current infrastructure.  The client side code obviously still exists, but I don't think the server side does, and it would be a straight up nightmare to try to get Vanilla to work on their current hardware (even assuming all the databases needed to make things work on the server side are actually available).

And there have been so many changes and iterations to the engine that attempting to "hack" vanilla WoW in as some kind of overlay using the modern engine would be even worse.

However, the biggest problem will be (and you can already see it popping up everywhere on WoW related gaming forums) trying to appease the "purists".   The people who want a 100% pure, 100% accurate version of vanilla are already fighting with a thousand and one different versions of "but what if blizzard does X":  do they fix obviously known bugs, or do they leave them as is, for everyone and their dog who has known about them for a decade to freely exploit? Do they add any kind of QOL improvements?  Even something as minor as adding a chat line limit to prevent spam would turn off the purists.  Pretty much no matter what they do, they will never be able to satisfy everyone who wants what they think they want from Vanilla.

Unless they release a 100% perfect copy of vanilla (or as near as they can get to it), the "hardcore" classic server crowd wont touch it, and if they DO release a 99.9% pure version of vanilla, 90% of the people who try it will bail, because the actual experience will shit all over their nostalgia. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:01:33 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:52 AM

In all honesty, I think this is a really, really dumb (or desperate) idea to try to generate a tiny bit more revenue that is going to bite them on the ass hard.

I mean, from everything anyone has ever hinted at, it is pretty much impossible to straight up re-launch pure vanilla WoW on their current infrastructure.  The client side code obviously still exists, but I don't think the server side does, and it would be a straight up nightmare to try to get Vanilla to work on their current hardware (even assuming all the databases needed to make things work on the server side are actually available).

And there have been so many changes and iterations to the engine that attempting to "hack" vanilla WoW in as some kind of overlay using the modern engine would be even worse.

However, the biggest problem will be (and you can already see it popping up everywhere on WoW related gaming forums) trying to appease the "purists".   The people who want a 100% pure, 100% accurate version of vanilla are already fighting with a thousand and one different versions of "but what if blizzard does X":  do they fix obviously known bugs, or do they leave them as is, for everyone and their dog who has known about them for a decade to freely exploit? Do they add any kind of QOL improvements?  Even something as minor as adding a chat line limit to prevent spam would turn off the purists.  Pretty much no matter what they do, they will never be able to satisfy everyone who wants what they think they want from Vanilla.

Unless they release a 100% perfect copy of vanilla (or as near as they can get to it), the "hardcore" classic server crowd wont touch it, and if they DO release a 99.9% pure version of vanilla, 90% of the people who try it will bail, because the actual experience will shit all over their nostalgia. 

Another issue is what exactly is "vanilla WoW"?  Is it from the first few months after release, after BWL was put in, the end of vanilla with Naxx or something else?  Whatever Blizzard gives them, I'm sure the people who have been crying for vanilla and shitting all over current WoW and the players that enjoy the game as it is will find something to complain about and use it as justification for going back to their "pure" private servers.  Fuck those guys.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:14 AM

Yeah, we need more info.

There's no fucking way they have the original server codebase all the way through everything. Also what in classic wow would fit Blizz's vision of the game currently?

Will they leave in the stuff where most of your skill trees were totally fucking useless, the terrible itemization, the shit where stuff could drop for classes your faction couldn't have, etc? Same with bugs.

Also with addons. I think Paleos probably remembers but in WotLK the mods got wacky as some really talented people got into the mod scene- Blizz had to start restricting what mods could do because of this one 3D mod that would literally draw where to stand or not stand on the ground during boss fights.

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 04:55:40 PM

Long, chaotic vanila AV battles were my favorite part of the game.  If that's an option, I'd play.  2 hour battles in which Lok and Ivus are summoned?  I'm in.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 05:38:35 PM

Apparently there's something called Project 60 going on where people level the old school way (no heirlooms, no LFD tool etc.) and then just do the vanilla raids.  What a brilliant idea.  Burn yourself out on the not vanilla WoW just in time for classic servers. Ohhhhh, I see.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 06:48:26 PM

Apparently there's something called Project 60 going on where people level the old school way (no heirlooms, no LFD tool etc.) and then just do the vanilla raids.  What a brilliant idea.  Burn yourself out on the not vanilla WoW just in time for classic servers. Ohhhhh, I see.
If by just in time, you mean a likely year+ before the classic servers launch, sure.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 10:11:30 PM

If by just in time, you mean a likely year+ before the classic servers launch, sure.
Its not a true vanilla wow experience unless half the people are suffering from raid burnout.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: World of Warcraft Classic announced at Blizzcon 2017  
Jump to: