Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 65269 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #245 on: October 08, 2018, 06:48:15 AM

I thought it was good and I would have watched the part 2 they were clearly setting up in theaters. It wasn't great but it was a fun time.

They really do need to grow some balls and just advance the timeline of the universe though if they actually want to make interesting movies.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: October 08, 2018, 07:05:04 AM

Agreed, getting rid of Luke and Han has been the smartest decision of the new movies.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #247 on: October 08, 2018, 07:31:06 AM

Luke should have been the only one they brought back for one of the movies.  Everybody else should have died off screen or something.  Ford and especially Fischer were painful to watch, and there was just no need to shoehorn them in anymore.  Maybe if these movies had happened only a decade or so after the originals, but everybody was just way to old at this point.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: October 08, 2018, 07:58:37 AM

Han was painful because they wrote him in as a washed out has been old man who left the fight and his wife to take up smuggling and chasing credits. Luke's character was actually really interesting though.

But yes, whatever movies/trilogy/series they come up with next needs to be set up 1000 years in the future/past so we can wipe the slate clean and start over with new lore and stories.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: October 08, 2018, 09:54:27 AM

Hasbro trying to sell geriatric Han Solo and Leia action figures was just the cherry on top.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: October 08, 2018, 10:59:36 AM

I disagree that they need to advance the time line.

Part of why R1 and Solo work is that a well understood backdrop makes it easier to focus in on the story they want to tell. They don't have to overdo exposition and it helps ward off the temptation to make the universe revolve around the characters. It is like making a WW2 film, the one thing you don't have to explain is the war.

As a result nobody complained they don't know the origin story of Krennic, Tarkin, Voss, or the Crimson dudes - wheras holy crap Snoke and the First Order.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: October 08, 2018, 11:50:33 AM

You advance the timeline and plot out 10 years of movies just like marvel. You have your main storyline movies like avengers, then others to flash things out. Start off with one offs to slowly build the world/Galaxy. This way you don't have to do it on a grandiose fashion like with a trilogy.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: October 08, 2018, 11:53:59 AM

I think bringing in Solo was all in all good move. A little bit of nostalgia can go a long way in a new movie.

SUPERLEIA!!! should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #253 on: January 22, 2019, 09:03:08 AM

I finally watched this. Holy shit. I see why it bombed.

It's not a bad movie. Let me just start with that. It's not BAD. It's just not good. The first criticism I had of the trailer was that the whole movie felt unnecessary and nothing I saw in the movie changed that. They overexplained some things that were completely unnecessary (why he's name Solo) and yet completely ignored explaining or showing things that might have been interesting, like Solo's time in the Imperial Academy. Half of the movie looked like utter, dark, drab shit, as if the director of photography used the worst expired film stock he could find. Lighting was awful. The character never had much of a complete story arc. I'm guessing by the ending that this was meant to show that Han always had a "heart of gold" mentality but the events of this movie made him cynical and jaded, and we would see more of the evolution of the character into the scoundrel we see at the beginning of A New Hope. Since we're only getting the one movie, however, his arc doesn't pay off at all. Lando was fine but the entire L3 droid made no sense. I think that Lando's crush on the droid and her whole "droid rights" schtick was meant to be a joke when the original directors were trying to make a comedy, and that Ron Howard was brought in to unfuck that part of the story and just didn't even bother, he just probably cut out some jokes. Either way, it was an utter mess, as "droid rights" makes no sense in the Star Wars universe unless you literally write an entire movie/trilogy around it. The escape from Cthulhu part in the middle felt padded and the entire heist on the mines really didn't make much sense either.

I know why this movie existed and it was because Disney thought they could drop any old turd with the Star Wars name on it and it would make tons of money. Luckily, people didn't buy it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: January 22, 2019, 12:29:53 PM

Yes.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #255 on: January 22, 2019, 12:58:11 PM

Thanks for saving me the trouble. Saw this popped up on Netflix and put it on my never-ending list... now I can remove and not care.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: January 22, 2019, 02:51:40 PM

It is definitely worth watching, I don't get the hate.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: January 22, 2019, 03:08:12 PM

I'm weighing whether to watch this because it's available. This is useful.

My feeling has always been: the people making the movie need to tell me why I should. Han Solo is not a guy whose background I needed explained; any explanation is inevitably going to make him less, not more, interesting to me. Unless someone really imaginative takes a crack at it, I suppose. But a movie that's about the general underworld of Star Wars? That could be interesting; a heist movie set in Star Wars could be interesting. Sell it to me without the backstory hook and I bet I will see it. If it's good, sure, but still. Rogue One made them think everything still needed to have a hook into the Skywalker story, I guess.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: January 22, 2019, 03:19:00 PM

It's not art. But it's fun.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: January 22, 2019, 04:16:27 PM

It kinda isn't.  It's forgettable blarg.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: January 22, 2019, 04:17:06 PM

I'm weighing whether to watch this because it's available. This is useful.

My feeling has always been: the people making the movie need to tell me why I should. Han Solo is not a guy whose background I needed explained; any explanation is inevitably going to make him less, not more, interesting to me. Unless someone really imaginative takes a crack at it, I suppose. But a movie that's about the general underworld of Star Wars? That could be interesting; a heist movie set in Star Wars could be interesting. Sell it to me without the backstory hook and I bet I will see it. If it's good, sure, but still. Rogue One made them think everything still needed to have a hook into the Skywalker story, I guess.

Solo will just make you wish it had been 'Lando'.

It's not worth your time.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 22, 2019, 08:35:34 PM

It's the only new Star Wars movie worth seeing besides Rogue One.  It's not epic, but it's got adventure and humor and a bit of fun.  If you can make it past the Corelia scenes, it's enjoyable.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #262 on: January 22, 2019, 09:57:21 PM

As far as something to put on Netflix in the background while you do something else, I guess you could do worse.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #263 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:01 PM

Yeah, I actually think this is a far better Netflix film than going through all the hassle to see in a theater.  I'd recommend giving it a view.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: January 22, 2019, 10:54:27 PM

For free via Netflix?  For sure.  Pew pew, space battles, Lando, etc.  Not very memorable, but an okay way to waste a couple hours.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: January 23, 2019, 02:01:03 AM

What he said. I want solo 2 more than episode 9. And I liked the last Jedi.

Anyway, if you have near enough ten thousand posts on eff thirteen dot net, you should probably give it 2 hours of your life just so you can join in.

This website likes talking about star wars.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:04:27 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: January 23, 2019, 02:08:16 AM

I am actually a little disappointed they won't follow it up.  The end reveal made me want to know more about a certain someone's something something.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: January 23, 2019, 05:11:48 AM

This isn't a Han Solo backstory, this is a Han Solo's stuff backstory.

I think I heard that somewhere around the time it came out, and it's definitely true. It's like they decided to spend a movie telling us how he came to have all the stuff we see him with in A New Hope.

Combine that with a few too many ways this intersects with other Star Wars lore and it just felt like a series of things meant to make audiences go "I know that!" instead of an actual movie.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #268 on: January 23, 2019, 06:10:44 AM

Combine that with a few too many ways this intersects with other Star Wars lore and it just felt like a series of things meant to make audiences go "I know that!" instead of an actual movie.

That's been a failing of the franchise since the prequel trilogy. Everything has to tie into stuff that's already in universe. I get that they want to have fan service, but when you find out that random Wookie #9879 is Chewie's grandparent in whichever of the prequel films had Wookies in, or all of the speculation about Rey being a secret Kenobi or something, it just makes the universe seem small. Obviously this film is going to have a lot of fan service in it because it's all about a character who's been central to the franchise since the beginning, but there's still room to make new things instead of reshuffling everything we already saw.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #269 on: January 23, 2019, 06:53:56 AM

Yes.  The ideal way to watch this movie would be as a drinking game, so instead of rolling your eyes when that happens, you could take a shot.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #270 on: January 23, 2019, 06:54:30 AM

"Grandparent?  Nah dude, what if it IS Chewbacca?" -Some producer
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #271 on: January 23, 2019, 07:08:17 AM

It's not really hate, so much as it is just puzzled disappointment. It's an inoffensive movie that just kind of lays there. It's not enjoying itself, and it doesn't make me enjoy myself. It feels like there could have been an interesting story about the past of an interesting character and instead we got weird overexplaining of silly minutiae and woefully little character development, with a plot that's barely coherent and utterly forgettable.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: January 24, 2019, 03:32:05 PM

The movie is fun. It's worth watching when you get time.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: January 24, 2019, 07:04:17 PM

I started watching it. I didn't hate it, but I found the need to explain stuff like his dice and his name really annoying--they knocked me out of the film. Like, don't explain a name like Solo as literal in a universe where people have names like Maul, Greedo, etc.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:10 PM

I mean, when your parents name you Maul, how can you grow up to be anything but a Dark Lord of the Sith?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 25, 2019, 03:27:12 PM

I started watching it. I didn't hate it, but I found the need to explain stuff like his dice and his name really annoying--they knocked me out of the film. Like, don't explain a name like Solo as literal in a universe where people have names like Maul, Greedo, etc.

The dice explanation I figured they would do. They're clearly important to him and part of his past. The name thing just made me roll my eyes. "So you used the name a military recruiter gave you for the rest of your life? Even when you took part in the fight against his government?"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 25, 2019, 04:11:12 PM

I liked that part. Showed how he had nothing so he held on to everything, no matter how small.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: March 29, 2019, 08:53:03 PM

Watched this, decent fun movie. Not great, not especially Star Wars. But fun enough.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: March 30, 2019, 05:04:14 AM

I finally finished it on an airplane. It was ok. Didn't hate it, didn't especially enjoy it. It did not in the end feel all that clever to me in the heisting parts, and I just felt kind of meh about the need to explain the Kessel Run, etc. stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  
Jump to: