Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:17:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Good Place 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good Place  (Read 27583 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: September 20, 2017, 03:29:38 PM

Surprised we don't have a topic for this. I thought it was a pretty amazing show for a network sitcom--structurally very clever, with an interesting twist every single episode, including the brilliant twist of the first season finale.

Premiering tonight at 10PM EST.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:16 PM

I was skeptical of the show when I saw the first trailers but my buddy made me watch the first 15 minutes of the first episode and I was hooked. My wife decided she wanted to watch it too and we both loved it. The twist at the end was brilliant, though I do wonder how long they can keep the premise going.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:08:45 PM

Tonight's premiere was just brilliant.  Loved the new tortures for Tahani especially.  Really, really loved how Michael-centric it's become, and the manic, desperate flailing as he watches his vision collapse is hilarious.  Did I mention that I love the concept of butthole spiders?  I do.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 01:37:34 PM

Yeah, they kept up the twists and turns. My guess would be that next somehow these four people have changed sufficiently through being tortured that the opposite is happening--they're growing towards The Good Place in ways that are persisting each time Michael restarts the experiment. Which I suspect could be the next twist: what if Michael is a double-agent trying to rescue people from The Bad Place? (Or what if he has to flee with the four of them towards The Mediocre Place in order to escape 'retirement'?) Lots of fun potential, and I suspect they'll keep us guessing throughout.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:25 AM

Tonight's premiere was just brilliant.  Loved the new tortures for Tahani especially.  Really, really loved how Michael-centric it's become, and the manic, desperate flailing as he watches his vision collapse is hilarious.  Did I mention that I love the concept of butthole spiders?  I do.

Where you been ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 05:31:50 PM

I call Tuesday "butthole spider committee meeting", so I had to rethink everything about my present life.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:41 PM

Where you been ?

I lurk.  🙂 I've got 4 kids now and a business to run.  So while I still try to cram in a little gaming at work I don't usually have much time anymore for message boards.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 05:10:25 AM

Holy shirtballs, but this show manages to surprise every time. They just blew up a season's worth of plots in a single episode and it was amazing.

I'm pretty sure now that the whole thing is set in Michael's Bad Place and that Janet is the one doing it--the Good Place is experimenting with whether they can make Bad Place demons into better beings. Or something like that.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 06:34:37 AM

Or, what if Michael is in the bad place and being tortured by constantly failing with the threat of being ended for all eternity looming.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:41 PM

I kind of thought Michael would end up where he is but I thought it'd be at least half a season. My only worry with this show is how long until they run out of new plot twists to throw at us?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:45:56 PM

They have an outline for the entire series, so they at least have a plan.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:26 AM

I just stumbled upon this on Netflix and binged the first 10 eps of season 1.

Holy shit this show is great.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 07:32:25 AM

Where you been ?

I lurk.  🙂 I've got 4 kids now and a business to run.  So while I still try to cram in a little gaming at work I don't usually have much time anymore for message boards.

4 kids? Shit, dude. I've been curious about the business, last we heard regularly from you, you were just getting started.  You should share pics of your proudest sometime.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 07:52:20 AM

Where you been ?

4 kids? I remember you having zero.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 09:47:06 AM

Where you been ?

4 kids? I remember you having zero.

We old.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 02:32:32 PM

This show is hilarious.  8 episodes in.  Literally have not laughed so much in a while.  The leaving party Tahani threw was the best thing I've seen Danson do ever and what was worse he totally captured the essence of my character.  Was like looking in a mirror.

God, sore sides right now.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 05:37:07 PM

In the mid-season finale, why does that last scene with Eleanor and Michael feature constant shots through the window? That struck me as super-deliberate.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 08:37:50 AM

Watching some of the first season again and it's amazing. Sometimes when something has a big twist, it ruins what came before it, because either it doesn't seem that the earlier part of the story is consistent with the twist, or everything is made irrelevant by it. In this case, it's the opposite--everything takes on a new meaning while still being extremely funny, and you can see from the first moment that the big twist was completely planned all along.

Danson's smile when his big secret is revealed is one of the great bits of comedic acting ever.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 02:48:16 AM

I've found even my girlfriend enjoys this show and she hates both comedy and fantasy/sci-fi stuff. This is practically the only thing on TV that doesn't feature British aristocracy/royalty that she's willing to watch.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 03:18:14 AM

More people discovering this show keep lighting up this thread and making think "hey, new episodes". But then there are no new episodes and I'm sad again.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:26 AM

But now there are new episodes!

Last night's was good, but I'm waiting for the next shoes to drop.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:57 AM

I think this went off the boil just a little when they left the neighbourhood.

But still great and still looking forward to what they do with it next.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 10:58:10 AM

It'll be interesting to see what they do next, yeah. Lot of ways they can twist or turn the situation.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 02:20:32 PM

You know when I say 'ashhole, I mean ashhole' right?  What the fork?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:02 AM

I think this one is going to find it really hard to hit the perfect pacing and rewatchibility of season 1. It worked well enough and I found it even sweet at times but I'm not sure how they stretch it out past a season 3. Perhaps they end up in the Good Place, discover it's actually pretty rubbish and overthrow the entire concept of an after-life? As a philosophy nerd I have to admit I do enjoy seeing some of the concepts being thrown around. Not super deep but how many modern sitcoms quote Kant on the regular? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:41 PM

The end of seaso  two seemed to be a natural ending for the show. I really think they should just have stopped there
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 04:11:56 PM

Season 2 went someplace new.  Season 3 will probably twist into something unexpected just when we get used to the new status quo.  I have faith they'll keep this going for an interesting 5 year journey.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 04:16:10 PM

I am so impressed with these guys--and they stay funny no matter what the twist--that they can go as long as they want, as far as I'm concerned.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:24 AM

This really is a good series and I don't think it needs another season.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 01:16:23 PM

Why?  Because you don't see where it can go?  I trust them to find a good and interesting path.  Keep it coming.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 01:45:48 PM

Why?  Because you don't see where it can go?  I trust them to find a good and interesting path.  Keep it coming.

Because it's done a pretty good job and hit a neat point to leave on.

They could do more seasons and they could be good and I will watch them too. I don't mean that it shouldn't have any more seasons, just that I don't think it needs them.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:15 AM

Yeah, I'd be happy with it ending there. I'd also haven been happy with them finishing Season 1 where they did.

I'm curious if they'll take it in the direction of changing up approaches to the afterlife? Like exploring reincarnation or purgatory type settings? I really like the show but it's hard to see where they can get themes to carry the newer series from that won't feel weirdly forced.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 02:47:57 PM

Well, the start of Season 3 seems like it will take place on 'Earth' with the quartet continuing their 'lives', but being drawn to each other.  I'm imagining there will be a storyline about Michael breaking the rules by drawing them together or something... my question is: Is that one episode, or all of Season 3?  I trust in them, but have no confidence I can predict where they're headed more tha n 5 minutes of show out...

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 11:01:20 AM

I strongly suspect they end up on earth, are drawn together while Michael and the Judge watch. Then Sean arrives from the Bad Place and accuses Michael of making the test unfair, demands he gets dropped into the simulation and more hijinks. I don't think they will keep to a vanilla earth situation, the question is what kind of growth the characters manage to achieve? That's been the bit of this show that has kept it from getting stale set up wise, the characters have all shown some kind of growth (aside from probably Jason and somewhat Chidi). I guess it might be interesting to have a major arc of Sesaon 3 being Eleanor helping Chidi to actually improve, which would be a great mirror to season 1. In some ways the backdrop situation is less important than keeping the characters from getting stale.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 11:18:41 AM

I still like the idea that this is all actually an experiment of The Good Place that has gone sideways in some way, maybe by redeeming a demon more effectively than it has allowed people to overcome damnation. It would be kind of hilarious if the experiment is a wager between Kant and Schopenhauer or something like that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Good Place  
Jump to: