Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer 2  (Read 38377 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: June 12, 2017, 01:28:35 PM

New TW game set in the Warhammer IP is being released this September.  Confirmed races so far are High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen with a yet unannounced 4th race (Skaven maybe? Love Letters).  I liked the first one but I'm not really into elves of any kind and Lizardmen are kind of...meh.

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-2-due-out-on-september-28/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXxe897bW-A
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:56:11 PM

Running out of time to pre-order and get the free Norsca DLC ($9).

Game opens 9/28.

I'm such a sucker... I really dislike the entire implementation of the campaign on the original game... but, but... High Elves!
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:37:36 AM

Sucker signing in as well. I got it just for the combined map of both games, but I must admit, I have really enjoyed Norsca and their different playstyle. There army roosters with mammoths are a bit OP against empire.

Skaven will be my first playthrough, but the elven factions look really great too!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:40:03 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:53:49 AM

They've put some insane sharpening filter on everything that reacts badly either with some systems, or with some eyeballs idk.

Anyway, game looks hideous to me. There are growing threads on CA and steam forums reassuring me that I'm not going insane.

Hoping someone finds a mod, a bug fix, or finds the settings to fix this - because aside from unplayably bad graphics, it looks great!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:22:05 PM

I'm still waiting for them to open up the Steam Workshop.  I got way too used to extra skill points and tier 4 minor settlements in the first game to ever go back.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:53:40 PM

Workshop is open and there are a handful of useful mods right out of the gate.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 02:30:50 AM

Yeah I grapped the better cam and provincial road mods straight away. What else is good out there?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 11:38:25 AM

How is this as a first total war game? I’ve never actually played any in the genre, and this being fantasy is more appealing than the prior games. I kinda wrote the first total Warhammer off as niche.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 11:42:58 AM

If you into Warhammer, this is definitely money well spend.

It got a terrific atmosphere and setting. The gameplay mechanics are sound and diverse for each factions, making them interesting. And there is alot of help and guidance for new players in game, so all in all I would say it's a good enough for a first timer :).

The first warhammer with all the DLC is still better in my opinion, and it also plays out in the part of the universe which is a bit more interesting. Although that comes down to personal taste.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 01:27:38 PM

How is this as a first total war game? I’ve never actually played any in the genre, and this being fantasy is more appealing than the prior games. I kinda wrote the first total Warhammer off as niche.

The tutorial dosn't cover everything, but it's a pretty good one. It's the best TW game too.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 06:57:13 AM

I'm a total war fanboy and am enjoying this one more than Total War Warhammer I. The midgame to endgame feels more compelling than previous versions of the TW franchise (so far) (on Legendary). The AI factions are still very dangerous and more than capable of kicking my ass late into the Vortex campaign.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 09:01:29 AM

Yeah I grapped the better cam and provincial road mods straight away. What else is good out there?

Extra skill points for sure.  I also like the Home Region Movement Bonus mod to make it easier to chase invading armies and AI Passive Agents if the enemy spams assassins too frequently for your tastes.

I was also a fan of Better Artifacts in the first game, but I think it needs some debugging on this one.

E: Apparently there is a mod to double unit size.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:43:50 AM by Phildo »
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:00 AM

Those two, plus I always get a mod that disables Enemy Agents... I don't mind them in Armies as "hero" troops... but if I could, I'd steal all the toys and throw them into a fetid swamp of whatever developer/designer it was who introduced them as Agents.

I'm also trying to find a mod (that works) which eliminates the tax on Lords; the mid-/end-game requires lords in every region just to defend the auto-magic Chaos spawns... the tax is contrary to required game-play. {This is also a Stack of Doom / Garrison sub-issue}

Ultimately I still hate the campaign... I want to like it... but I hate it... I like the idea... but I hate the implementation... I wish I could like it... but I can't.

And, while I'm frothing... the one thing that would make their campaign better?  Hexagonal Movement... fixes most of their Army movement problems.  Or bigger ZOC, or ZOC that grows with Cavalry, light-cavalry, and/or Flying troops.  {They would still have a Stack of Doom problem, but countering would at least be mitigated by movement hexes}

Basically I just play start games and play them until I unlock a few top tier armies, then I quit... mid-/end-game is such a fucking slog with no payoff.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:12:31 AM

The tutorial dosn't cover everything, but it's a pretty good one. It's the best TW game too.

Comprehensive guide on the battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw&list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 07:57:37 AM

Thanks! I'm getting my ass handed to me every time I play, apparently I'm a terrible tactician.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 12:42:03 AM

I could use some good hints or a strategy for playing Queek on legendary. The many many declaration of wars from  so many different factions and the armies spawned by rituals, is a huge pain.

I simply cant muster enough armies to defend against so many multiple enemies at once.  Maybe if I improve my economy considerable somehow, but I dont know how, except maybe utilizing my trade ressources. Have any of you had success in sending an agent to e.g. clan pestilence to establish commercial ties?

Help is appreciated!
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 05:19:38 AM

I watched a couple of those videos and had to plunk down my $66. Now I have to learn how to play...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:13 PM

One interesting thing is that the ritual race ultimately isn't that important.  You can spend some money to send armies to interrupt other groups that attempt them, and apparently you can just kick their ass if they get to the last one in a relatively easy battle and take them out of the ritual game entirely.  Don't start on those until you're ready to commit.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 02:36:47 PM

Really like the tactical maps.

The WH1 maps were basically all flat and featureless, here they've made them a lot more interesting, but not so extreme that you end up cheesing victories out of map geometry.

One piece of advice if you're new to warhammer and/or TW would be to play elves.

Elves operate pretty much how you'd expect them to. Everyone else needs you either recognise units from tabletop - or trudge through stats to know what units are good at and whether they are decent value.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 08:53:31 AM

Free dlc is now available so if you have warhammer 1 and 2, you can play on a fuck-huge map of the old world plus new world as any race in either game except Norse.

I'll probably pkay that way for any new campaign because I don't think the vortex rituals add much.

WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 11:46:48 AM

1 is on sale through Halloween on Steam for $30. I bought it so I could play all the races and so it all fits together when 3 comes out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 02:41:33 AM

Ever wanted zero gravity total war, or total war with tactical nuclear weapons, or giant chariots...

https://youtu.be/qLSezK6_N5w

(gamemode with sliders that let you fuck with the engine)

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 12:16:22 AM

That was much more mental then expected! If my hardware can handle those extreme armies, that would be awesome.

Also did you read that the next expansion will focus on the Tomb kings? This brings back memories of Dark Omen.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 11:45:17 AM

They're also releasing a new lord for one of the races alongside Tomb Kings, not sure which one.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 06:48:42 AM

Settra, Arkhan or just maybe Queen Neferata of Lahmia could also be unique lord for the Tomb Kings. Would be pretty awesome to have Settra battling the Von Carsteins.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 01:44:03 AM

https://youtu.be/IpWqKme-g_4

Oh my.. The Tomb Kings dlc is coming out on January 23! I am predicting massive chariot spam.

I also read that TK units won't cost upkeep. The number of armies is tied to research in some way. Now that will be interesting.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 04:50:13 PM

Just got a copy of this from a friend; is it worth buying the first one too (since its on sale for $20) to play on the combined campaign map?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 08:29:36 PM

Yes, but not just because of the combined campaign map.  If you like Total War: Warhammer 2 you'll also like the first game, and it has completely different factions.  Both games use the same engine, but because the sides and campaigns are very different it is worth it to own and play both.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 03:59:50 AM

There also some decent mods out there that make the combined maps quite good. Steel faith 2 does alot to make the gameplay interesting and fresh after having played some normal campaigns.

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 08:35:12 AM

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 10:43:36 AM

Nice Predator homage there.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 12:52:54 PM

I thought skaven and lizardmen were already in.

I am the .00000001428%
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 01:35:29 PM

I thought skaven and lizardmen were already in.

They are. The DLC is for new heroes/factions/units/regiments of renown
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 07:15:43 AM

WH2 is now 50% off and WH1 (effectively a huge DLC for WH2) is 66% off.

CA have done a good job of updating this, so if you don't have it and don't hate total war you should get this.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total War: Warhammer 2  
Jump to: