Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Destiny 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Destiny 2  (Read 110480 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #70 on: September 04, 2017, 11:14:45 AM

Destiny works best on consoles because it has Bungie's extremely good console controls. Gunplay in Destiny 1 on PS4 felt great and I had a lot of fun with it.

There was not matchmaking for anything but strikes however and the hardest difficulty stuff was mostly just really boring exploit-encouraging nonsense. Oh ha, everything nearly one-shots you- time to farm up weapons that let you trivialize encounters, or stand in corners with your whole party and shoot through doors or exploit the AI in such and such a way, or whatever. No one ever gets difficulty right in the end.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #71 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:41 AM

I feel like its worth reiterating that Bungie has never been a good developer. They pretty much suck ass.
Yeah, I just went back and looked at all the games they ever made.  Myth I and II are the only games they made that I can say I legitimately really liked.  Halo multiplayer with a ton of people in the room was fun back in the day for the same reason Golden Eye was, but the game its self was pretty meh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 11:45:32 AM

Halo 1 is one of those games that manages to be fun in spite of itself.  The maps in the single-player alone would have sunk a lesser game.  The horrible, endlessly-repeating-the-same-100ft-of-room-and-tunnel single player maps.  I remember somebody quipping "the main security measure against releasing the Flood was that anyone searching for them would just get bored and go home."

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 11:52:42 AM

I remember spending most of my time in Halo 1 "gun-running" a la the early Counter-Strike betas cause of the weird ammo system.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #74 on: September 11, 2017, 07:30:55 AM

I am hearing mostly-good reports.  Might get this sooner instead of later.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 07:42:32 AM

I caved and spent the weekend playing. Finished the story which was good but a tad short. Finishing the story opens up a bunch of post-game activities so there is still plenty of game left - it's also the only way to get a sparrow so I felt the NEED to grind through the story. Fast travel is ok, but there are some really long traverses between travel points that you need a sparrow.

It's pretty much a continuation of Destiny 1, which I am torn on. All the baddies are the same... same factions, same weapons, same tactics (though the Fallen melee are a bit more aggressive).That was nice to see all the familiar factions and how they fit and how to beat them.

But on the other hand, it is exactly the same as the last game... nothing new in terms of big bads. Basically just Destiny 1 with new maps and slightly different grind focus. I liked Destiny 1 well enough that I am not dissatisfied, but paying $60 for what amounts to a new map and voice packs for the first game is a tad groan-worthy.

A cool feature I really liked is when you start the game fresh, it loads in your accomplishments from Destiny 1, recaps what you did, when you did, and who you were with - pretty cool to see when I beat the story, raided, etc. Was a bit taken aback when I noticed this was back in 2014... FFS, 3 years already?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:13 AM

Get off my lawn!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #77 on: September 12, 2017, 06:35:37 PM

Finished the story on two characters and am now running through the worlds after the red war. There's a lot of shit to do that wasn't there in the first game.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 07:22:00 AM

Guys, this game is a lot of FUN. The shooting just feels good, even with a controller.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 02:26:45 PM

The premier game for handicapped systems?

Pretty much feel I got most of what this can offer out of warframe already, and if I wanted to a PvP shooter it would probably be over-watch.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #80 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:43 PM

Yeah, no.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #81 on: September 14, 2017, 12:14:12 PM

Pretty much feel I got most of what this can offer out of warframe already

lol?

Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 14, 2017, 01:00:29 PM

Gotta say, I'm liking this better than the first. I lost one of the guys who went into Destiny 1 (stupid ass is having a kid... I mean come on). So now I have to do strikes with strangers. The horror!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 02:21:27 PM

Even with a controller, the shooting just feels a lot tighter. And Destiny 1 was still pretty darn good for that.

I still have a PC version on pre-order as well, because...why not?  awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 17, 2017, 11:19:44 AM

Yeah, no.

With the upcoming Plains of Eidolon expansion for Warframe, I fail to see how Destiny 2 is better in any significant way.

https://www.warframe.com/news/tennocon-announcement-recap
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #85 on: September 17, 2017, 02:57:23 PM

Still no. Warframe’s shooting is still sloppier and bolting on some open-world shit isn’t going to help that.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 07:18:22 PM

Still no. Warframe’s shooting is still sloppier and bolting on some open-world shit isn’t going to help that.

I didn't find Destiny 2's shooting any better or worse than what I've played in Warframe, at least on the PC (might be different on console).  It's not like D2 is revolutionizing the FPS genre.  Besides, Warframe's expansion should bring it closer to what D2 has to offer WRT MMO like features.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:05 AM

I played Warframe on PC and PS4.  Destiny 1 & 2 shooting is better.  Obviously there is room for opinion here.  Destiny isn't breaking new ground as a game, but the rooty-tooty-point-n-shooty is the best I've played.

I should probably mention that I favor the bow in Warframe.  Also Destiny swordplay is kinda ass.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 15, 2017, 03:32:08 AM

I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews/videos about Destiny 2.  This one sums most of them up.  I hope it's not the case because I am looking forward to playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=276&v=Hv-GVirXDoQ
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 15, 2017, 04:57:57 AM

Debating on cancelling my preorder as well. Got kinda burned with the Division, and I'd really like to avoid a repeat. Still, it's hard to filter the reviews between people who played "just Destiny 1 Vanilla, no expansions" and the die-hard, been-with-it-forever reviews. The latter seem to be more disappointed with D2 because it's basically more of the same that they've already played and they don't understand why they had to buy a whole new game, while the former seem to enjoy the changes (even if the changes been around since The Taken King), but still feel unfulfilled.

I'm sure as someone who's never played it at all, I'll enjoy it for a time once it releases on PC (the PC port may also explain why sales for D2 are slumping compared to D1; #MasterRace folks are holding out for the better experience). And maybe by the time I get to the end-game and max out they'll have more content and address the issues they're having. Again, I've never played, but stuff like the change to shaders being a consumable and not a one-time-unlock-for-life is just swamp poop to me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:51:23 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #90 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:21 AM

I might get it in a few years. Right now it sounds like a worse game than Destiny with expansions except for a more cinematic single player campaign.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 15, 2017, 04:05:41 PM

Main impression I got is that it is just a destiny 1 refresh. Same mobs, classes, mechanics... just kicks everyone down to level 1, invalidates all the old content (but reuses some maps) and introduces a new bad (who will be dead by the end of the story). Still hasn't really solved how to make a shooter MMO with minimal class synergies not be repetitive shooting at bullet sponge enemies in the end game.

I cannot get over the armour though. A devoid of style combination of gridiron player, medieval knight and fridge.

I enjoyed this I Hate Everything commentary (from someone who played 60 days of destiny 1, so clearly did not hate that).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:10:07 PM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #92 on: October 15, 2017, 08:46:07 PM

Bungie took the wrong cues from the wrong players and whiffed on this one.

D1 was significantly more fun and natural feeling than this one was. The story wasn't as laid out for you, but you had a lot more choices, activity-wise. The decision to change PVP dramatically and to allow those changes to hold sway over PVE was dumb. 4-on-4 is dumb, the absolute necessity in the current meta to stay grouped because 1 person versus 2 or more usually ends that single player's run rather quickly takes some of the fun out of being able run and gun with different weapon/skill combos. Everyone in Trials is using a fucking MIDA multi-tool because you're not competitive if you're not using it. The raid is the least fun, most mechanic heavy, least forgiving raid they've come up with so far. Worse than Hard Mode King's Fall. The margins for error if you don't have the right class/skill mixture are non-existent.

It's a mess.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #93 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:43 AM

I heard they fucked the raid up. A lot of people I know were frustrated with it. Everything else is pretty much Destiny 1 as far as I can tell outside of the loot-grind feeling a lot longer because only specific activities will give you gear notably above your current power level.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 16, 2017, 06:26:58 AM

IHMO, this is just basically a $60 expansion pack of D1 with a full character reset. New maps and new story, but everything else is like D1. I enjoy messing around with it, but when I play I can't get comfortable with the fact this game is full price. For full price, I'd expect more gameplay changes and new mobs to justify the expense... I got my money's worth, but probably not going to continue with the destiny series.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #95 on: October 16, 2017, 11:38:04 AM

There are a lot of new mobs. The skins may be similar but a lot of behaviors have changed. With probably the exception of the Taken and the Hive. There’s a lot of things to bitch about, but IMO, that’s not one of them.

Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 16, 2017, 01:48:11 PM

There are a lot of new mobs. The skins may be similar but a lot of behaviors have changed. With probably the exception of the Taken and the Hive. There’s a lot of things to bitch about, but IMO, that’s not one of them.

Did I miss some new fallen or cabal models? Yeah their behavior is a bit different but nothing ground breaking. But the fallen still have the dregs, vandals, captains, and servitors. Cabal has the same psions, grunts, commanders, bosses. Some new skins but I can't recall any really NEW models. I enjoyed the familiarity but just having a hard time justifying the full price. But that's me.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #97 on: October 17, 2017, 06:39:12 AM

I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews/videos about Destiny 2.  This one sums most of them up.  I hope it's not the case because I am looking forward to playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=276&v=Hv-GVirXDoQ

It didn't take long to get to the "I didn't play Destiny 1 either" and close the video.  If you didn't like Destiny. Destiny 2 isn't a different game.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #98 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:08 AM

I'm having fun and I've spent more money on dumber things.  I'm not playing PvP and I haven't tried a raid.  I had to get into a group of "less responsible" players just to finish the raids in D1 so, eh.

schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:59 AM

how do you fuck up shooty shooty + loot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #100 on: October 17, 2017, 12:18:29 PM

Flagship can also be used as a verb.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 17, 2017, 01:10:56 PM

focusing on the loot.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 17, 2017, 02:59:50 PM

focusing on the loot.
That's both incorrect and not what happened in Destiny 2.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: October 17, 2017, 03:15:56 PM

focusing on the loot.
this is the worst possible answer of tons of possible answers
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #104 on: October 17, 2017, 11:13:27 PM

focusing on the loot.
That's both incorrect and not what happened in Destiny 2.

Bingo. They standardized the loot in the name of fairness to the filthy casuals and then catered the rest of the game to the worst instincts of the hardcores.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Destiny 2  
Jump to: