Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  (Read 124942 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: February 26, 2018, 01:42:54 PM

$12/person/day. Nearly $50/meal for a family of four is a little high for an everyday thing, and that's leaving out the cost of entry.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #211 on: February 26, 2018, 01:49:53 PM

It's a $500 toy for foodies with disposable income/professionals, if it works per specs.  If that is their market, and they are just shooting for that market, sounds fine.  I mean, Blue Apron and the like are a thing because people feel like massively overpaying for an internet recipe and not going to a grocery store.

I asked a foodie co-worker and she said she'd rather stay at work than come home to Suvie.

To me it looks like soggy fish-in-the-bag on soggy rice/pasta with soggy vegetables. I know I can make salmon with vegetables in 20 minutes, spend less and live healthier.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:03:25 PM by Tale »
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: February 26, 2018, 06:43:43 PM

$12/person/day. Nearly $50/meal for a family of four is a little high for an everyday thing, and that's leaving out the cost of entry.
Yea it’s for rich people. But 50/meal won’t come close to buying you a personal chef
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #213 on: February 26, 2018, 08:19:02 PM

(or spend the time to figure out what to make*)

*Which is a surprisingly legitimate quality of life issue
This is usually very easy, whatever looks freshest and is a quality cut of protein, that preferably we haven't had the previous couple nights. The market almost always dictates what we eat, takes the decision struggle out of it. Secondary decision of what to pair it with is the same thing, whatever looks good in the veg section. And then pick a grain to match. Easy, takes very little time.

I know some people might find it onerous to shop every night or two, but I have a thing about not letting food sit around the house for days. And I have a 3 minute commute, so I can stop by the market, or even a couple in the summer, and be home before a lot of people who commute. I think our meal for two tonight ran about $7, and that's with enough leftover for my lunch tomorrow.

And yeah, roughly 20 minutes to make a decent work night meal. And make it enjoyable, put on some music or something. Enjoy the process.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #214 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:20 PM

And yeah, roughly 20 minutes to make a decent work night meal. And make it enjoyable, put on some music or something. Enjoy the process.

If solo: a podcast like Lovett or Leave It.

If company: dance around kitchen with wife, saying this is what our three-year-old nephew thinks we do when he goes home.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: February 27, 2018, 11:05:40 AM

It's a $500 toy for foodies with disposable income/professionals, if it works per specs.  If that is their market, and they are just shooting for that market, sounds fine.  I mean, Blue Apron and the like are a thing because people feel like massively overpaying for an internet recipe and not going to a grocery store.

I asked a foodie co-worker and she said she'd rather stay at work than come home to Suvie.

To me it looks like soggy fish-in-the-bag on soggy rice/pasta with soggy vegetables. I know I can make salmon with vegetables in 20 minutes, spend less and live healthier.

Look up sous vide.  You vacuum pack the thing to be cooked, and then into a water bath at an exact temp with an exact amount of time to cook to perfect doneness.  The food isn't actually swimming in the water bath.  Basically takes the skill/knowledge component out of it.  And consumer grade sous vide machines go for $300-400, not counting the vacuum packer machine and bags.

Again, its a "if it performs to spec"....  if it generates shitty soggy food, forget about it.  If I really want good coffee, I'll brew up a pot or take the french press out...  a Keurig falls on a nice place in the work/time to prepare scale though.  Massively better compared to the old work dilemma of "how old and burnt is this coffee sitting on the heater" dilemma.

Yea it’s for rich people. But 50/meal won’t come close to buying you a personal chef

Blue Apron is like $10/meal/person, and that seems to be doing okay.  $10-12/meal/person compares favorably to take-out/delivery prices.

I don't think there is any way I would ever buy one of these things...  the point is that, if it works to spec, this is a completely reasonable small scale device aimed at people with disposable income.  It isn't in the same category of ridiculousness as the Juicero.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:12 PM

(or spend the time to figure out what to make*)

*Which is a surprisingly legitimate quality of life issue
This is usually very easy, whatever looks freshest and is a quality cut of protein, that preferably we haven't had the previous couple nights. The market almost always dictates what we eat, takes the decision struggle out of it. Secondary decision of what to pair it with is the same thing, whatever looks good in the veg section. And then pick a grain to match. Easy, takes very little time.

I know some people might find it onerous to shop every night or two, but I have a thing about not letting food sit around the house for days. And I have a 3 minute commute, so I can stop by the market, or even a couple in the summer, and be home before a lot of people who commute. I think our meal for two tonight ran about $7, and that's with enough leftover for my lunch tomorrow.

Yes and not everyone lives near the market and is able to spend 30-40 minutes on a meal (10-20 for shopping including the extra travel time plus 20 for the meal) and that includes rich people. And additionally you still have seasoning and other decisions which make it not zero computational cost. (This would be a longer discussion but the short answer is that the quality of life value from not making decisions is surprisingly large but many people do not realize it and still choose to make choices. Putting them at the market unless they’re very attuned with themselves is probably worse than just making something for them)

This really does have a space to be valuable to people as terrible as it looks in the commercial.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #217 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:16 PM

Most of us on this board are older and generally more well rounded in life skills than the average millennial.  As an example: we have free food at work (really good, healthy, free food) and I know a guy who drinks Soylent because he considers deciding what to eat to be a chore.  This is a totally foreign mindset to most of us here, I'm sure, but it exists.

I see the Suvie thing as being aimed at people in a slightly more moderate part of that same spectrum, who want to eat real food (of better quality than a standard microwave dinner) and are okay with doing basic prep and plating work, but who don't want to do (or trust themselves with) any of the mental work involved in preparing a meal.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: February 27, 2018, 03:10:31 PM

Most of us on this board are older and generally more well rounded in life skills than the average millennial.  As an example: we have free food at work (really good, healthy, free food) and I know a guy who drinks Soylent because he considers deciding what to eat to be a chore.  This is a totally foreign mindset to most of us here, I'm sure, but it exists.

I see the Suvie thing as being aimed at people in a slightly more moderate part of that same spectrum, who want to eat real food (of better quality than a standard microwave dinner) and are okay with doing basic prep and plating work, but who don't want to do (or trust themselves with) any of the mental work involved in preparing a meal.

See you say this and I think “your company could get more people on board by reducing their free options and rotating them” like a school lunch. Then you only have to make a choice if you clearly don’t want what is on he menu.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #219 on: February 27, 2018, 03:32:00 PM

See you say this and I think “your company could get more people on board by reducing their free options and rotating them” like a school lunch. Then you only have to make a choice if you clearly don’t want what is on he menu.

Well, that guy's an outlier though -- for every one weirdo like that there's a couple dozen who would be pretty annoyed if they didn't get to pick between sushi and filet mignon.   awesome, for real 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #220 on: March 01, 2018, 05:51:58 AM

There are a lot of people in between "I have to microwave my WIC food" and "I can afford a personal chef".  I'm one of those and I use Plated because:
1. Price is reasonable.  Last night I spent $150 on a meal for 2 in CNN Center.  I could have cooked a better filet myself, and I MAY have been able to make a equal salmon.
2. I ain't got time for meal planning.  It's a personal weakness that I absolutely can't plan a week of meals, buy the stuff, and execute on it.  OK, some of it is the wackadoo schedule that parents have where you simply have to eat outside your home.
3. Related, I don't want to buy (for example) and entire jar of capers whenever I want to make chicken piccata.  I can have chicken piccata and won't have leftover ingredients.  I would normally keep them and overflow my pantry (first world problems, amirite?) and then eventually toss them once I found they had gone bad.  Getting the pre-measured ingredients is a great boon and prevents waste.

I've considered a sous vide lately only because my wife is now doing keto and she can't eat most of what I make from Plated.  She also doesn't want to "just eat ingredients" as she says, but there's not much you can do with the restriction of "no carbohydrates".  Enjoy your bacon, cheeseburger, avocado slices, and chocolate mousse with stevia.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: March 01, 2018, 06:51:19 AM

Yegolev: How much of what you get from Plated is thrown out, either because it is not prepared or it just isn't as goodcas you thought it'd be?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #222 on: March 01, 2018, 09:40:36 AM

I make 6 figures and can only cook the Korean version of Top Ramen packs at home (which is really fucking tasty) when I’m desperate.  I only eat out or the things ‘my personal chef’ (IE, Lao Maid) prepares for me when I return home from work, twice a week.  This has been my eating habit since I left home almost 20 years ago.  I aspire to die still living like a college student.

Cooking is for suckas!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #223 on: March 01, 2018, 10:19:31 AM

It's been a while since we had the conversation where everyone describes exactly how much time and money they allocate to feeding themselves per week.

My favorite part, personally, is when people are outraged at everyone who spends either more or less time and/or money on that task than they do.

why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #224 on: March 01, 2018, 11:50:55 AM

Yegolev: How much of what you get from Plated is thrown out, either because it is not prepared or it just isn't as goodcas you thought it'd be?

Typically I don't have any ingredients left over, minus things such as leaving out spices because my family doesn't like spicy foods.  For the same reason, I will often use half of the onion.  Sometimes there will be half a lemon, or part of a yogurt container, depending on the recipe.

Blue Apron would provide an entire bulb of garlic, while Plated provides the exact number of cloves specified.  Blue Apron provides eggs, while Plated does not.

The meals are mostly delicious.  I do have a 14-year-old and so a lot of stuff just isn't popular with him.  I'd not have a much higher batting average if I prepared my own food, especially if I were to continue making things from fresh ingredients rather than bag meals and frozen casseroles.  That boy loves him some frozen casseroles.

My favorite part, personally, is when people are outraged at everyone who spends either more or less time and/or money on that task than they do.

why so serious?

The OUTRAGE is why I visit F13. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:06 PM

So you do end up meeting most of the (non-spice) food you receive, rather than having some you don't make and you throw out?

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #226 on: March 01, 2018, 02:23:45 PM

It's been a while since we had the conversation where everyone describes exactly how much time and money they allocate to feeding themselves per week.

why so serious?

I think I started this, but I'm actually jealous of anyone who spends less time on food preparation than I do.

After decades of eating like a bachelor and gamer, I married Healthy Meal Woman. Multiple fresh vegetables every evening, fresh fruit for dessert. And oh, tonight she's gotta finish a work thing/wash her hair/didn't she cook last night, so I'm in the kitchen again. See photo above.

I never get sick anymore. It has really worked. Catastrophic flu outbreaks at work just pass me by. I also enjoy our meals. And when she's away on a business trip, pizza and beer taste better than ever. Downsides: sick days are great for gaming. There is not enough ice cream in my life. I am 7500 ly from home in Elite: Dangerous and won't be near Earth any time soon.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #227 on: March 01, 2018, 05:08:21 PM

So you do end up meeting most of the (non-spice) food you receive, rather than having some you don't make and you throw out?

Yes, Plated has a 3-person plan and that is about right for us.  We always have enough and there aren't too many leftovers.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #228 on: March 05, 2018, 06:20:52 PM

We were using Sunbasket for a bit but too much of the produce that we were getting was way past fresh and close to rotten, so we stopped.  It's still a lot of work for what you get. 
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #229 on: March 06, 2018, 05:54:06 AM

What I really need is an app to manage my apps and make them do what I need without pushing buttons...

That app exists and it's a whole lot more useful than you probably think it is. I use it a lot to automate my photo sharing on social media.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: March 27, 2018, 04:39:32 AM

I'll have a cartridge of your best Wine, Jeeves

Kuvée, the startup that makes a Wi-Fi-connected wine bottle complete with touchscreen, has announced it is shutting down, as reported by Business Insider.

The system, which The Verge tested (and called gloriously dumb) in March 2016, is basically a sleeve with a touchscreen that fits over proprietary wine cartridges. Once a cartridge is put into the sleeve, the touchscreen displays information about the wine, like the grape it’s made from and pairing notes. The initial purchase of the sleeve and four cartridges costs $178, with additional cartridges — that could be purchased through the touchscreen — priced between $15 and $50. Kuvée said that its system would keep wine fresh for 30 to 60 days.

Though there was significant initial interest in Kuvée — the early bird preorders on Indiegogo sold out in three hours — it wasn’t enough to keep the company going. In a goodbye note, Kuvée CEO Vijay Manwani pointed toward the difficulty of educating the public about the product and says that “last year’s Napa fires affected our ability to scale our customer base over the holiday season and hence our ability to raise the funds required to continue building awareness of Kuvée.”

Manwani says in the note that Kuvée will continue to seek a partner that can “acquire or leverage the Kuvée technology and bring it to market at part of their own business model,” but all of its business operations are ceasing today, just about a year and a half after it initially started shipping. That means if you have a Kuvée system, it’s going to be useless once the company’s remaining stock sells out. From now through March 26th, Kuvée is selling all wines at 50 percent off with code LASTORDER.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #231 on: March 27, 2018, 09:17:11 AM

Meanwhile, Cuvée is crushing fucking face down here.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: March 27, 2018, 02:32:22 PM

I don’t understand who they thought they were marketing too.

If you drink a lot of wine you don’t need to preserve open bottles. If you don’t drink a lot of wine you aren’t likely to want a touch screen wine bottle.

That being said it looks like the fires are an excuse. Plenty of wine is available from other areas and at better prices before the fires. If they needed another supplier they could have easily found it. Smells like they’re cashing out of a scam to me
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: March 27, 2018, 02:55:44 PM

They thought they were marketing to dumb fucks with a lot of money. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #234 on: March 27, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

BUT THEIR WINE HAD AN APP!

Is something I expect some dumbshit investor who lost his money said at some point.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: March 27, 2018, 08:18:16 PM

Smells like they’re cashing out of a scam to me
That's the entire business model for all this nonsense. Business isn't about making something good, it's about suckering some VCs (or crowdfunding) for enough money to build hype and proof of concept, then cashing out to a megacorp.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: March 28, 2018, 08:16:13 AM

And then using the experience of having had a start-up as a way to get VC cash for the next scam, with the end goal being invited to join a VC to give out cash to scammers.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #237 on: March 29, 2018, 03:12:38 AM

And then using the experience of having had a start-up as a way to get VC cash for the next scam, with the end goal being invited to join a VC to give out cash to scammers.

Where do I sign up?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: March 29, 2018, 06:43:57 AM

Where do I sign up?
For the low, low price of your ethics and morals!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: March 29, 2018, 06:59:01 AM

Well, and also it turns out that when you think you're swimming with the sharks, you may be confused when it actually turns out you're in a swarm of lampreys and that most of the animals with blood in them have already been drained dry.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: March 29, 2018, 07:09:27 AM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: March 29, 2018, 12:11:35 PM

If you really want in, I can help you out.  Get a Money Order for $65,000 and mail it to me. 

A return on investment is not guaranteed.  Cause I'm taking your money and going to Vegas.  And I'm not gambling it, either.  But it will be gone.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #242 on: May 07, 2018, 11:49:18 PM

The control unit of a Ski lift gondola in Austria was exposed to the internet, allowing you to start/stop/reverse it and even configure the steel cable tension!

Article in German, but the headline says it all really: https://www.golem.de/news/patscherkofel-gondelbahn-mit-sicherheitsluecken-1804-133930.html

The gondola in question:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:58:35 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: May 08, 2018, 10:15:54 AM

The control unit of a Ski lift gondola in Austria was exposed to the internet, allowing you to start/stop/reverse it and even configure the steel cable tension!

Article in German, but the headline says it all really: https://www.golem.de/news/patscherkofel-gondelbahn-mit-sicherheitsluecken-1804-133930.html

The gondola in question:

Awwww... It's offline now!

evil
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: May 11, 2018, 08:00:23 PM

The rate things are going, I'm just waiting to find out the massive uptick in robocalls comes from botnets running out of unsecured wi-fi enabled toasters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  
Jump to: