Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  (Read 5208 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #140 on: October 06, 2017, 05:36:29 PM

I will gleefully cheer when they have to become just another taxi service.

Frankly, if they'd just been a normal taxi service with automated intelligent dispatching, that by itself would have given them a huge competitive advantage over traditional cabs, which generally still do dispatch via phone (and with no tracking/accountability for cabs that change their mind and pick up a different fare on the way).

One of the taxi companies in SF (DeSoto) finally got on that ball recently and rebranded themselves as "Flywheel".  I'm hoping it works out well for them; it's a very long overdue move and IMO all the old cab companies are leaving a lot of money on the table by refusing to modernize their infrastructure.

"Nice attempted blast about my "drinking".  I do enjoy a nice cuppa, but that is because I am a bon vivant of gregarious nature and cheery disposition." - Ab
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #141 on: October 06, 2017, 05:42:33 PM

I will gleefully cheer when they have to become just another taxi service.

Frankly, if they'd just been a normal taxi service with automated intelligent dispatching, that by itself would have given them a huge competitive advantage over traditional cabs, which generally still do dispatch via phone (and with no tracking/accountability for cabs that change their mind and pick up a different fare on the way).

One of the taxi companies in SF (DeSoto) finally got on that ball recently and rebranded themselves as "Flywheel".  I'm hoping it works out well for them; it's a very long overdue move and IMO all the old cab companies are leaving a lot of money on the table by refusing to modernize their infrastructure.
in most European cities I've lived, there have been app-enabled taxi services. Hailo operate across a bunch of countries, UKLON was in Kyiv and there are a few others too. Uklon worked as a kind of reverse auction for taxis. You'd put in the start and end points, it would give you a suggested fare and you could accept that or add a bit to increase the chance that someone would come and pick you up faster. Hailo just worked on the standard fares. Both let you track your taxi as soon as your ride was accepted.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

Trading Cotton for Chalupas in 2014!

Reply #142 on: October 06, 2017, 11:34:55 PM

I'd say Uber's on-demand system and automated payments are big advantages, and often the prices are comparable with normal taxis anyway (a bit less perhaps, but not a dramatic difference I think).

Though earlier this week I was in a rush to work and requested an Uber. I changed the pickup point to make it easier for the guy to pick me up, when I notice him take a crazy detour. He then calls me to ask if I can wait another 10 minutes, so he can put air in his tire, which of course I decline during rush hour. He then wanted me to cancel the ride, and take the monetary hit for it.

So Uber, for sure, isn't all rainbows and butterflies.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 07, 2017, 04:26:54 AM

Uber is just another livery service. However their high overhead and ludicrous business model (no standardized fleet as an example) means that their subsidy is around 50%. They're burning billions of dolllars of capital in order to keep going on the hope that they will eventually have a monopoly. They lose massive amounts of money even in areas where they successfully skirt local regulations.

They will not achieve monopoly and will fail.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  
Jump to: