Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  (Read 124952 times)
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: December 18, 2017, 07:28:28 PM

Lyft is almost as bad as Uber.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #176 on: December 18, 2017, 08:02:23 PM

I've talked to people who've worked both places, and Uber sounds like it's a special circle of hell.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 19, 2017, 07:22:23 AM

They’re both built on the concept that if they spend enough investor capital they will eventually have a monopoly.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #178 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:15 AM

It worked for Amazon!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #179 on: December 20, 2017, 03:50:20 PM

I use the train to get to the airport, or I drive myself and pay for parking at park and ride.

Because fuck those clowns.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #180 on: December 21, 2017, 02:52:09 AM

Uber in Bangkok is a god send considering how shitty the cab drivers have gotten.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:12 PM

By the way, the asshole who was the founder of Juicero is now making the news for spreading an even worse idea: "raw water".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: January 09, 2018, 08:50:15 PM

I read that and was again dumbfounded by the rarefied air in that Silicon Valley bubble.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:13 PM

By the way, the asshole who was the founder of Juicero is now making the news for spreading an even worse idea: "raw water".

Holy crap that is the same guy?

Well, you gotta give him the lock in for a demographic....
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #184 on: January 09, 2018, 10:08:32 PM

He didn't start the trend but he is trying to cash in on the "alt water" trend (his is not exactly "raw water" as the term is currently being used) by selling a system to collect water vapor: https://www.zeromasswater.com/

As a kid the best water I ever tasted was "raw" Sierra mountain runoff water and a bunch of us got sick from it. The place we were staying even warned us before hand not to drink from streams and rivers but we had to try it anyways with the inevitable results.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #185 on: January 10, 2018, 06:33:37 AM

Kodak's stock jumped 77% yesterday because they announced a new cryptocurrency.

KodakCoins will work as tokens inside the new blockchain-powered KodakOne rights management platform. The platform will supposedly create a digital ledger of rights ownership that photographers can use to register and license new and old work. Both the platform and cryptocurrency are supposed to “empower photographers and agencies to take greater control in image rights management,” according to the press release. The digital currency is meant to create a new economy for photographers to receive payment and sell work on a secure platform.

As a photographer, I can tell you that the digital rights problem that needs solving is not 'buyers purchasing from legitimate creators'. Stock agencies and photo buyers are already pretty good at handling rights. Also why is everyone suddenly going to get locked into a proprietary purchase system using cryptocurrency as tokens, when places like Getty Images, iStock, Adobe Stock and literally hundreds more well-known sites exist that take regular currency?

Kodak also announced a dedicated Bitcoin mining rig that you can rent for $3400 for a 2 year contract. They send the rig to their partner who plug it in and operate it for you and you get 50% of all the Dunning-Krugerrands that it mines in that time.  swamp poop

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: January 10, 2018, 06:35:19 AM

Which could possibly mean it takes more than 2 years to mine a bitcoin, so you get half of NOTHING!!! [/Willie Wonka]

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #187 on: January 10, 2018, 08:16:36 AM

Kodak is desperately trying to find a business model since they got obsoleted by digital formats. It's probably an interesting study in how a corporate entity exists on brand name alone.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #188 on: January 25, 2018, 11:43:20 AM

I think this Tesla Model 3 issue belongs in here:

Customer: "My car doesn't drive straight"
Tesla: "It's a software bug, we'll patch it later, eventually."

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-pulling-to-right-fw-bug.106970/

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 25, 2018, 06:31:47 PM

Yeah, there is a lot of Model 3 stuff bubbling up like this. Get ready for an entirely new kind of car accident: "oh the update only partially downloaded" and "oh there was a software conflict between steering control and the 3rd party brake software, so Autopilot couldn't help but kill those children in the crosswalk, sue the 3rd party vendor".
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 28, 2018, 07:27:17 AM

I think it's pretty safe to say that NSA et al have been playing that game in secret for a while.  Tinfoil Hat

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 23, 2018, 07:18:46 PM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 23, 2018, 07:43:17 PM

Same idiots or new idiots operating with the same formula?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #193 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:28 PM

The app is our modern prison of the mind.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: February 24, 2018, 07:31:38 PM

So a microwave meal + app, except you pay $599 for the microwave and $12 for microwave food.  Mob

And god, I hate the silicon valley marketing speech: "Some might describe it as the future, others a life-safer", "chef-inspired" Mob

Edit: Also, doesnt sound this yummy:

Place your vacuum sealed, pre-seasoned protein into the removable protein pan and fill it with water. If using a Suvie Smart Meal, these packages will be good to go. If using your own recipe, simply put your seasoned protein in a sous vide compatible bag, seal it, and you’re ready.

And for people that need a machine to make noodles and warm sauce:

Pour starches into our pasta cooking pan and add your desired level of salt, just like you would on the stove.
Add the sauce to the warming pan.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:47:39 PM by calapine »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #195 on: February 24, 2018, 08:37:31 PM

Da fuq? So, it microwaves food that it has kept refrigerated until a pre-programmed time, or you activate it from your phone? Food you still have to mix together? So, it's less convenient, more expensive, and literally does nothing but move the prep time to before you leave for work. All to save me...3 or 4 minutes between when I hit the door to when I can eat?

Why the fuck would I even pay ordinary microwave prices for this pile of over designed crap?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #196 on: February 25, 2018, 11:45:53 AM

BECAUSE IT HAS AN APP!!!!!!!!

It's like you don't even have a smartphone or something.  why so serious?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #197 on: February 25, 2018, 12:08:20 PM

Fuck, I need to just design a powered recliner you control with your phone. Off the shelf "home theater" seating and an Arduino board, done. Cash in on the stupid money while idiots on Sand Hill Road still have some.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #198 on: February 25, 2018, 12:55:23 PM

Same idiots or new idiots operating with the same formula?
New/different idiots. Juicero guy is doing the Zero Mass water thing I linked above.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #199 on: February 25, 2018, 07:02:36 PM

BECAUSE IT HAS AN APP!!!!!!!!

It's like you don't even have a smartphone or something.  why so serious?

There already are wifi-enabled sous vide devices with apps. Also kickstarters for them.

Those use your own pot to cook in. So looks like they've taken that and added a box to cook it in, and juicero-style bags.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #200 on: February 25, 2018, 07:07:09 PM

So a microwave meal + app, except you pay $599 for the microwave and $12 for microwave food.  Mob
Not a microwave.
schild
Administrator

Reply #201 on: February 25, 2018, 07:10:23 PM

Fuck, I need to just design a powered recliner you control with your phone. Off the shelf "home theater" seating and an Arduino board, done. Cash in on the stupid money while idiots on Sand Hill Road still have some.

--Dave

la-z-boy has already made this as easy as humanly possible

case in point: i bought theater seating from them
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #202 on: February 25, 2018, 07:12:01 PM

But does it have an app that lets you recline the chair from your phone?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #203 on: February 25, 2018, 08:20:20 PM

Yes. My boss has one.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 25, 2018, 11:21:44 PM

What I really need is an app to manage my apps and make them do what I need without pushing buttons...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: February 26, 2018, 01:37:15 AM

Da fuq? So, it microwaves food that it has kept refrigerated until a pre-programmed time, or you activate it from your phone? Food you still have to mix together? So, it's less convenient, more expensive, and literally does nothing but move the prep time to before you leave for work. All to save me...3 or 4 minutes between when I hit the door to when I can eat?

Why the fuck would I even pay ordinary microwave prices for this pile of over designed crap?

--Dave

It’s actually not bad as far as these things go. Sous vide is a method of cooking where you vacuum seal the food and then immerse it in heated water or steam. This lets you have precise cooking temperatures over long periods of time with a high amount of heat transfer. It’s legitimately used in high quality restaurants.

IE it’s actually a pretty good method for cooking food. The problem with sous vide is generally that it takes up a lot of space. If you want to cook multiple things at the same time you’re pretty much shit out of luck without multiple machines and multiple standing water baths.

So a single machine that will do multiple types of food at the same time(but not a lot of it) and do any necessary napkin math to start them at the right time so they all finish at the same time and also can be integrated into the kitchen like an appliance has value. Is it a microwave* for rich people? Yea, it is. Will it produce good food? Yea it probably will. Is $12 a meal expensive? Yes but less so than going to a restaurant and you can make your own food with it too.

*more accurately it’s a crock-pot for rich people: you start the food when you leave and it’s ready when your get back.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: February 26, 2018, 07:27:00 AM

--Dave

It’s actually not bad as far as these things go. Sous vide is a method of cooking where you vacuum seal the food and then immerse it in heated water or steam. This lets you have precise cooking temperatures over long periods of time with a high amount of heat transfer. It’s legitimately used in high quality restaurants.

IE it’s actually a pretty good method for cooking food. The problem with sous vide is generally that it takes up a lot of space. If you want to cook multiple things at the same time you’re pretty much shit out of luck without multiple machines and multiple standing water baths.

So a single machine that will do multiple types of food at the same time(but not a lot of it) and do any necessary napkin math to start them at the right time so they all finish at the same time and also can be integrated into the kitchen like an appliance has value. Is it a microwave* for rich people? Yea, it is. Will it produce good food? Yea it probably will. Is $12 a meal expensive? Yes but less so than going to a restaurant and you can make your own food with it too.

*more accurately it’s a crock-pot for rich people: you start the food when you leave and it’s ready when your get back.

This. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: February 26, 2018, 07:47:59 AM

It's a crock pot with an app priced for rich people who can probably just fucking afford someone to cook meals for them made by people who likely have their own chefs because they are rich and out of touch twats who think life must revolve around their smartphone.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: February 26, 2018, 09:48:47 AM

It's a crock pot with an app priced for rich people who can probably just fucking afford someone to cook meals for them made by people who likely have their own chefs because they are rich and out of touch twats who think life must revolve around their smartphone.

It solves a bunch of crock pot issues though.... like some ingredients overcooking into mush/inability to control doneness without actually showing up at a specific time to add ingredients, cooks things separately so strong flavors don't overwhelm everything else, and the fact you have to be there to turn the heat down when it is done.  The app makes sense, in that you can schedule it on the fly to be done when you expect to be home. 

It's a $500 toy for foodies with disposable income/professionals, if it works per specs.  If that is their market, and they are just shooting for that market, sounds fine.  I mean, Blue Apron and the like are a thing because people feel like massively overpaying for an internet recipe and not going to a grocery store.

No more dumb than gaming monitors, 4k TVs, gambling in Vegas, buying a car new, or going to a chiropractor.  Well... its probably significantly less dumb then going to a chiropractor.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: February 26, 2018, 12:27:39 PM

For 600 dollars + $12 per day you sure as shit cannot afford for someone to cook meals for you. But if you're a say two income household where neither participant wants to come home and cook for 30 minutes to an hour (or spend the time to figure out what to make*) but also wants to eat well it seems like a pretty reasonable option.

*Which is a surprisingly legitimate quality of life issue
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: $400 WiFi-enabled 4-ton-force juicer's $120 million fail  
Jump to: