Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 60477 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #105 on: May 21, 2020, 07:44:18 AM

That will not happen. We know that will not happen. They had that sort of opportunity tailor-made before Justice League even began filming. They could have used the successful launches of both the Arrow and Flash TV shows to set the stage for a Justice League movie. Instead, they decided that they didn't want their movies sullied by all this TV show stuff so they forced the TV shows to kill off characters that were going to be in the movies so there wouldn't be any consumer confusion (Deadshot being the specific example of this). WB has shown a particular lack of foresight and myopia where using TV series is concerned.

Is it dumb? Fuck yes. The cast of their TV properties have all done pretty well with the characters they've used especially considering the budget constraints and in some cases bad writing. As badly as Marvel failed on their integration with the TV shows and the MCU, WB has done infinitely worse, and there is no indication they have even the slightest interest or ability in rectifying that situation.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 21, 2020, 09:12:18 AM

WB has a long history of being stupid on this particular point--that somehow it creates confusion if you let multiple versions of the same character be around at the same time in different media or adaptations. They did that shit all the way back to the Dini/Timm Batman cartoon, and it's never made any real sense.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 21, 2020, 10:43:12 AM

You're assuming they can't learn from their mistakes. 

Which... yeah.  Correct.

As I said, if *I*were running these DC properties, that would be my plan.

On a side note: In the Arrowverse we now have cast Superman, Batman (in appearance at least), Flash, Martian Man Hunter, Hawkman, Firestorm, and potentially Green Lantern.  We've also nearly And they set up a Hall of Justice.  I am betting that 2022 or 2023 we get a crossover even that features the origin of the Justice League, and has it with Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 21, 2020, 11:43:24 AM

I kind of feel like the Arrowverse is going to wind down in the next 2-3 years. They've sort of squandered some of the goodwill by struggling to keep forward momentum in their best shows, the cheapness of the look is starting to take a toll, and now they've got the headache of having to recast Batwoman.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: May 21, 2020, 11:51:07 AM

I think they'll keep it alive a lot longer.

* Legends, Supergirl, Black Lightning, and The Arrow/Canaries show likely will not have long lives.  I would not be surprised if all 4 exit in 2020 to 2021 (I know they will not return until 2021 - but we may get an announcement that the shows will be entering their final season at some point).
* Flash will continue - and I think it will have a Supernatural length run.
* Superman and Lois will become a flagship for them.
* Batwoman will continue for a few seasons if they find a good replacement - if not it may fold, but...
* I expect that they'll secure the ability to do a Batman show once they do end Batwoman.
* I also expect we'll get an actual team show with better characters than Legends.  Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, etc...
* I also expect them to cross over into the Stargirl series if it is a hit.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 21, 2020, 12:25:13 PM

The should just cancel Batwoman. It's a total loss. It's way too grimdark to follow the successful formula the other DC shows have.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:15 PM

I saw the Stargirl pilot and it left me feeling pretty meh. Other DC shows I watch hooked me from the very beginning.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 21, 2020, 12:45:57 PM

I saw the Stargirl pilot and it left me feeling pretty meh. Other DC shows I watch hooked me from the very beginning.
I just watched it.  It has a different esthetic and build.  They may need some time to find their footing.  It wasn't horrible, so they hve me for at least 5 episodes.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: May 21, 2020, 08:37:08 PM

I haven't watched Stargirl yet, but based on the current slate, I don't expect them to wind down the Arrowverse anytime soon. I give the Flash about 2 more seasons minimum before they end it. They are still doing another Legends season and while I love that show for how silly it is, holy shit is it silly.

They've already established the Justice League in the Hall of Justice, and Supergirl has that team doing a version of the Watchtower. They have plenty of room to run this thing into the ground.

I was surprised to see Superman & Lois appear in the "Coming Soon" on the CW Roku app. I have heard nothing about it, but I dig the actor/character take they've done on Superman so far.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 22, 2020, 06:18:58 AM

Superman and Lois sounds like it has the most potential of any of the new spinoffs.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:58 AM

Superman and Lois is about Superman and Lois raising 2 super kids in Metropolis. I don't expect it to start out as straight Superman stories, but the evolution to that will likely be short.  If you recall that Diggle was moving to Metropolis at the end of the Arrow and found a green glowing something in something that crashed from space, they set him up to be part of the show (whether that was a GL ring to pay off on all those hints or Kryptonite).

As for Stargirl - it takes place in a different universe.  It is a universe with most of the trappings of Old Earth 2.  Basically, gorgeous 'teen' (young looking twenty year old actress) in tight clothes doing gymnastic fighting while fondling a giant rod.  So, yeah.  It will definitely have an audience.  The budget for the show looks bigger than other Berlanti shows first episodes, I think.  The pilot had some decent action, but the main character was not compelling to me.  

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 22, 2020, 07:30:02 AM

I think that Stripey has the potential to be the show's Jar Jar Binks.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 22, 2020, 09:12:46 AM

I think that Stripey has the potential to be the show's Jar Jar Binks.
How so?  Just a universally annoying character?  Or did you find him offensive somehow? 

I mean, "accidentally" giving your hot teen stepdaughter your rod and then realizing she got in trouble isn't exactly a father of the year story.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:39 AM

Nah he's just annoying. So far at least. I'll probably give it a season and see where it goes. Maybe Starman was just a dick for treating him the way he did.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 17, 2020, 11:42:46 AM

I mean, "accidentally" giving your hot teen stepdaughter your rod and then realizing she got in trouble isn't exactly a father of the year story.

This sounds super pervy when taken out of context.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: July 17, 2020, 12:11:56 PM

….
This sounds super pervy when taken out of context.
Really.  You don't say.   

We can't tell Momma about our little secret. 
Invite some of your friends to join us. 
I gave my friends some of those special toys you told me not to tell anyone about.
Ooops, you got in trouble... time for a little medical procedure.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 17, 2020, 04:08:49 PM

The stuff about Whedon recently is super-depressing, by the way. Including that *after* getting his "I do strong female characters" armor badly dented, he *insisted* on a scene where the Flash lands on Wonder Woman in the missionary position to the point that Gal Gadot apparently told him "get a body double, because I won't do it".
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: March 15, 2021, 07:40:46 PM

As far as I can tell from the ads, the Snyder Cut adds:

Vulko!
BAD CGI DARKSEID!!! FUCK YEAH!!! AUTEUR TIME BABY!
Meme Joker Played By Worst Joker Actor!
Steppenwolf Looks Less Like He Is Coated In Dirt and More Like He Is a Cheap Action Figure Bathed in Solder.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #123 on: March 17, 2021, 07:57:45 PM

I expect it to be utter pretentious incoherent shit. However, I do plan on getting my 2nd vaccine shot and then watching this shit while my arm falls off.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #124 on: March 18, 2021, 08:17:51 AM

So this is also 4:3 aspect ratio? And two hours longer than the widely-panned original?

Is DC just fucking trolling now?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/18/22337756/snyder-cut-aspect-ratio-justice-league-hbo-max-warning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: March 18, 2021, 08:33:12 AM

That article explains it is because Snyder primarily intended the movie to be seen on IMAX. Ok, sure, sure. [back away slowly]

I can't wait to hear the conspiracy theory howling from the loons who wanted this about why it doesn't instantly eclipse every MCU movie in terms of critical praise and audience attention.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: March 18, 2021, 08:37:18 AM

Most of the twitter reviews I've seen have been positive. Seeing as how I consider 300 the best Snyder movie I've seen, I'll wait a bit before I see it for myself.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: March 18, 2021, 08:43:27 AM

300 is indeed his best movie, and it's pretty bad.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #128 on: March 18, 2021, 09:41:55 AM

DC movies reflect the comics pretty well. A bunch of crap, with a few spots of good Batman.

Marvel continues to show why they've always been the best!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: March 18, 2021, 11:23:06 AM

I watched half, I thought this was going to be released in parts and not all at once. I don't honestly remember enough about the original to tell if this is an overall improvement but the parts I did remember like Steppenwolf vs the amazons are much better in this one.

I am the .00000001428%
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: March 18, 2021, 04:54:47 PM

Four fucking hours?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #131 on: March 18, 2021, 08:33:52 PM

I'm an hour and can only watch it in bursts. No fucking way I'm putting 4 contiguous hours into this.

It's shit, btw. A lot of the CGI is goddamn terrible, even in comparison to the theatrical release. The 4:3 aspect ratio is distracting and terrible. The only thing that seems like it might be good is the expanded Cyborg storyline involving his dad. The Wonder Woman fighting the terrorists bit at the beginning is worse in just about every way.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: March 19, 2021, 05:07:28 AM

I won't even watch old Star Trek when it is 4:3, and I kinda like Star Trek.  WTF.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: March 19, 2021, 05:16:47 AM

Oh good. I thought there might be something wrong with me when I turned it off halfway through and watched an episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine instead. He's found a way to make super heroes boring and he smeared grim-dark sauce all over Victor. Honestly, Wonder Woman and the Flash were the only two who made it out alive.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #134 on: March 19, 2021, 10:42:28 AM

The acting in this is pretty fucking terrible. Some of the characters just feel wrong ie Ezra Miller as Flash, Batfleck, Alfred, etc. It just feels like a bad, lazy copy of previous work. Music is almost distractingly awful.

I don't know. This just doesn't seem very good. I stopped watching sometime after the Gal Gadot infodump.

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: March 19, 2021, 04:50:33 PM

I still do not understand why people employ Zac Snyder.

There are other filmmakers I dislike but I understand why they get hired. Hi there JJ Abrams! But why do people keep hiring Zac Snyder? His films are bad, expensive, and they make unnecessary drama but no money. I don't get it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: March 19, 2021, 04:59:50 PM

I think one part of it when it comes to DC is that Snyder plus his partners were able to argue to Warner Brothers executives who hated comics and thought comics were for kids that they had a 'take' on comics that would make them art--Goyer's connection to Nolan and the Blade films gave him credibility in particular. So they were able to say to WB people, "look, we get it, you think this stuff is shit and you can't stand it, but we're gonna give you money AND prestige because we're going to continue Snyder's record of adapting the really artistic comics like Dark Knight Returns, just like Watchmen and 300, and just look at the box office, people AND critics love that high-toned stuff." The WB people didn't like and didn't care about comics, so that all sounded perfectly fine to them. So when BvS significantly underperformed expectations, they were like "hey what" and when the MCU was suddenly making asstons of money even when it was Ant-Man or whatever, they did what suits always do: "guys, do it like those guys". Then they panicked more because they realized Goyer and Snyder couldn't do it like those guys and then Snyder was taken out of the whole thing by a family tragedy, so they said "quick quick who do we call? oh, Joss Whedon? that sounds good". In the meantime they were also like whoa people liked Wonder Woman and that was kind of fun shit who knew.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: March 19, 2021, 05:07:15 PM

I still do not understand why people employ Zac Snyder.

There are other filmmakers I dislike but I understand why they get hired. Hi there JJ Abrams! But why do people keep hiring Zac Snyder? His films are bad, expensive, and they make unnecessary drama but no money. I don't get it.
They must have made some money* otherwise he wouldn't have gone from Man of Steel to Batman v Superman and finally Justice League (which he didn't finish, originally).

* off the books, of course, on the books all Hollywood movies don't make money

Edit: to
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:10:50 PM by Trippy »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: March 19, 2021, 08:10:55 PM

Man of Steel more than doubled it's budget in money made; BvS did even better, while Justice League did worse. I can see the argument for the Snyder Cut, that without him at the helm it under-performed. I'm not saying it's the correct take, but it makes sense from a Hollywood perspective.

That said, I've only seen Man of Steel (which I thought was decent) but I liked 300 and Sucker Punch so my judgment is clearly suspect compared to the f13 hivemind.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: March 19, 2021, 08:25:59 PM

Watchmen was a decent adaption of the Comic, and actually improved on it in some respects. I still watch it now and again. Snyder seems to do ok when he has a story to work with and people nail his feet to the ground, much like Lucas. Giving him creative freedom seems to be disastrous.

The fantasy action bits of Sucker Punch were great. That Dragon fighting the Bomber was bad-ass. Anything outside those scenes was WTF.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:06:53 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League  
Jump to: