Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 60479 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: March 25, 2017, 10:30:18 PM

So this now has an official trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

So it needs a thread of its own. I'm still not sold on the color palette. The CGI specifically looks bad in the scenes like where Batman swings in and attacks the parademons. The blues and blacks are way too saturated and contrasty with the over the top oranges. However, I dig how they are portraying Aquaman and Wonder Woman and I even like Flash. Totally unsure about Cyborg though.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:11:30 AM

There's something about these new DCEU movies that leave me cold. I like WW (even though I'm not sure Gadot can act) but no one else interests me. Affleck acts like he's already tired of being Batman.
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 02:27:04 AM

Every single thing in that trailer is heavily saturated blue or orange except for Cyborg's eye and the 0.1 seconds of green field.  I was tired of that nonsense several years ago, DC has shown me nothing in their recent films to get excited about, so I'm going to be waiting a good while after release on this one before I even consider seeing it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:42:00 AM

Do we really need to give this trailer any more views or attention? It's the sequel to two shitty movies. There's a 39 page thread devoted to BvS and I don't recall a whole lot of positive reactions in there. Can't we just agree to ignore this shit until it goes away?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:31:56 AM

You have my axe vote.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 11:48:25 AM

Ugh.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:59:00 PM

How is DC so good at putting out trailers that make me less interested in their movies? It'd help if they'd stop making such crappy movies, but making good trailers for bad movies isn't exactly new.

The teaser trailer made me cautiously optimistic. The official trailer shows heroes acting dumb and a lot of bland CGI. Batfleck just seems tired of the whole movie thing.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:23:14 PM

I'll watch it. I'm fed up with Batman and Superman but still interested in the rest.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:38 PM

Seriously, old tired kind-of-burned-out Batman was fine in BvS (it was what made Affleck actually kind of a good Bruce Wayne, to my surprise) but in this trailer, it feels really annoying.

I'm guessing that the blue/grey palette is for scenes either of Apokalips or parts of Earth that are being turned Apokaliptian (given the parademons all over the trailer) but that's also fucking boring as shit considering that it's what Snyder thinks ordinary days on planet Earth should look like.

Cyborg looks cheap. Flash effects are good-looking though.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:32 PM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77902

Whedon takes the DC steering wheel at the last minute for shitty reasons.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 05:22:15 PM

Lest anyone not click the link, said shitty reason is Zack Snyder's daughter, Autumn, committed suicide in March.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:19:15 PM

Much as I've grown to dislike Snyder's work recently, that is some seriously shitty stuff to have to be dealing with at any time.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:49 AM

Really hard. Poor guy. I feel bad that he clearly is flinching waiting for people to say, "It's your fault because you're working on all these films"--he said as much in his only public statement, that he knows there will be assholes saying things because they hate him so much. We need to get to a place of more collective sanity about our relationship to cultural producers.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:45 AM

Separating professional from personal is actually easy.  This guys films suck balls.  This guys trauma at the moment cannot be described or pitied enough.

He's not going to worry about the guilt others heap on him.  I would imagine he's putting himself through more than enough.

Heartbreak

On the other hand, Whedon.  So.  Swings and roundabouts.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

I'm guessing this is post-principal photography but might still have the odd reshoot and most of the editing to do?

I'm trying to think of any major film that changed hands at this stage?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 12:28:44 PM

I'm guessing this is post-principal photography but might still have the odd reshoot and most of the editing to do?

I'm trying to think of any major film that changed hands at this stage?
Well, Snyder showed a cut to folks prior to deciding to ask Whedon to write the new scenes - which have yet to be filmed - so this was post first attempt at principal, but clearly someone thought the first attempt was bad enough to need a very different take.  

I will be intrigued to see what Whedon does to humanize the script merely by adding a few scenes and tweaking a few lines of dialogue.  He has long noted the diificulty with making DC heroes work (2009 article):  http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedons-theory-on-why-dc-comic-book-movies-usually-suck  I am curious what you get when you mix Whedon's approach with these bigger than life heroes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:42:47 PM by jgsugden »

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 04:10:06 AM

Can't someone suck bruce timms dick already so we can get quality dc movies...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:39 PM

Can't someone suck bruce timms dick already so we can get quality dc movies...
I don't think he has the penis needing a pucker to make that happen.  However, I'd love to see it.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 05:23:28 AM

I kind of wonder if DC could have worked better with (please don't kill me) a more Transformers approach to the franchise? DC have shown they are not good at handling their heroes so concentrating on making the heroes not the focus but the backdrop. Build on the spectacle but get the human drama from... well humans.

I personally wouldn't like but then I don't like any of these movies anyway. Transformers is a big franchise and clearly the action spectacle thing works. It would allow DC creators to skip past the problems of humanising their protagonists or concentrating on stupid bullshit ethical questions which don't fit the spirit of things.

Fuck now I'm thinking a Michael Bay's Superman might have been less bad a film than Man of Steel.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:54 AM

No, it would be the same film.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 04:38:19 PM

The WW movie's strong suit is its character arc and emotional beats, so I think that's a good demonstration that there was a better way from the beginning.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 01:46:34 PM

Know what else it has?

A hero who wants to be a hero instead of a whiny emo nothing.

It shames me to admit this, but I hadn't even considered this aspect until I read this polygon article.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/17/15821584/wonder-woman-justice-league

That’s more or less the elevator pitch for superheroes as a concept, but it’s strangely at odds with everything we’ve seen from the DCEU thus far. Prior to Wonder Woman, DC’s output included two grim deconstructions of Superman and a third film about supervillains. All three have been skeptical of altruism as a concept, as if the most implausible thing about superhero movies is the hero’s willingness to help other people.

This is exactly what's wrong with the DCU to this point. We've been framing it as, "They're embarrassed with the properties," but it's more than that. They won't let the heroes be heroes. It's some postmodern bullshit all aimed at saying there's no such thing as heroes.

Then along comes Wonder Woman. She's heroic as fuck and doesn't give a shit about the selfish angle promoted by Snyder's vision. She's going to do this because it's right and she has the power to do so.

The movie kicks Snyder's vision in the balls, dares it to get up and the box office has rewarded DC for it.

With JL already wrapping-up I now know they're fucked. At best you'll get a Suicide Squad-level hamfisted fix to the script, but I doubt it. Half the promotions have already shown us the major points of the movie are trying to convince heroes to be heroic. That's the entirety of Bruce's arc that we know of. This is a problem.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 02:39:38 PM

They built the film, showed the rough cut to folks, decided it didn't work and went back to fix it was changes.  The guy they brought in, Whedon, is known for figuring out how to handle tough characters and humanizing them.  I have no idea if this movie will be bad, ok or good - but I am confident it will be a lot better than what Snyder, by himself, would have made. 

And, after Wonder Woman, I might just see this one in the theater, too.  After SS, I decided to pass on the theater for all DCEU movies, but the press for WW led me back to the big screen and I'm glad it did.  Not a perfect movie, but one that really exceeded my expectations and one I enjoyed.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 03:54:52 AM

Not fucking up 1 origin story doesn't make their assemble cast movie any less shit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:09:22 AM by MediumHigh »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 06:10:50 AM

Yeah, I'm with Captain Trollsalot.  I still think JL will be utter shite.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 06:32:17 AM

Yeah, I don't get saying "Wonder Woman gave DC another chance with me."   Especially when you read all the fighting Patty Jenkins had to do to make the film HER way instead of Snyder's.  As this article; ( Link)  mentions, WW was world-weary in JL. Implying she was done with humanity entirely. Another Snyderesque non-hero. 

This is not the WW we saw in Jenkins' version, but it will be the one we get in JL. It's going to be all the bad of BvS and SS rolled into yet another movie. There's no way it can be good, not even with Whedon being brought-in for fixes. Which - remember - has only happened because Snyder's daughter died. Even with massive rewrites the best you can hope for is some of the same disjointed WTF-ery of Suicide Squad which also went under massive reshoots to fix 'tonality' after first viewings.

No, keep your money. JL will be on video and TV fast enough for you to not have to see it in the theater. Don't reward the dross of Snyder's vision.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 04:17:41 PM

The Counter Argument:

Around the end of last year they see the rough cut of WW.  They see what worked, and what did not work.  Then, the JL initial cut is complete and they see everything that HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS CRAP. 

Snyder's absence gives them a chance to bring in someone that has made good hero films and that understands what worked with WW.  They give him time and money to do substantial reshoots - but not on the action heavy special effects because they do not have enough time to rework those shots.  All he, Whedon, gets to do is rework the character shots.  That is his strong suit. 

That story takes JL from hopeless to having a chance.  If the reviews are good, I'll see it in the theater.  If they pan it, I'll pass.  At this point, I would not be surprised by either.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:35 PM

Except that Warner Bros was shocked at the success of WW. And they had no clue until right before release that it was a good film.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 07:02:02 AM

Yep. They didn't see squat and realize what worked and what didn't. In the WW thread there was that article about how the Editor and Director had to fight to keep the Trench scene in the movie at all, and it was one of the best scenes in the movie. Nothing about that says, "DC saw the rough cut and changed it's mind."

Hell, even the promotions were more subdued than BvS. Fewer tie-ins, fewer ads. You don't do that with a movie you believe in.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 07:11:55 AM

The fight over the trench scene took place when? Before the final cut. Before the music was added. Before the effects were done.

Being cynical is fine. We're supposed to make it usefully cynical (look up). WW can give you a sliver of hope for DC and JL.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:10 AM

There's a lot of middle ground between cynicism and blind fanaticism.  There is zero evidence to suspect that the JL movie will have had either the time or inclination to improve on the dc universe since BvS.

For fuck's sake they are wholly introducing three new characters in flash,cyborg and aquaman PLUS an entirely new bad guy in addition two juggling three other superherpes.(this was a typo but im keeping it).  Bringing in Whedon isn't going to help much especially since avengers two was itself a bloated mess of characters it just shows that even he isn't able to pull together an ensemble well.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:06 PM

I wonder at why your autocorrect went to superherpes...

Saying I have higher hopes for JL than I did 2 months ago is not saying I have high hopes. I think DC is a harder nut to crack than Marvel and the skeleton of the film was built on rot. If it doesn't suck, it will be because it was redemption post April. All I'm saying is that the things I've heard in the last few weeks have taken me from certainty it will suck to a belief it might not suck.  If Wonder Woman sucked and Whedon hadn't touched JL, I would not have seen it in theaters regardless of the reviews. Now, I wait and see.

If Whedon does some magic and makes a film that works, a film he can point at Marvel and say, "See what I can do if you get out of my way and don't force me to cut vital scenes," then some of you uselessly cynical folks can eat crow.  If it sucks, all I said is that there is at least some hope... Not a promise it would be good.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 01:13:40 AM

Yeah, but you're wrong.  There is no hope.  Superman and Batman have already been done, cast, characterised and shown.  And they Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Now, if you happen to think Batman or Superman were in any way redeeming, good or interesting, then, yeah, maybe I see where you MIGHT be coming from.  But they were literal brain herpes, both films sucked the fucking Marrow of the Earth and neither were heroic nor interesting.  So, Wonder Woman got a few good scenes, fair enough, but at the core your Heroic team isn't fucking Heroic.  They're utter, utter fucking arseholes.

So, there's that.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 07:37:53 AM

We'll see. Actors take direction. Whether the changes will take it all the way up to an ok film... time will tell.

One thing to consider: Whedon knew what he was taking on. He was critical of DC characters for film. He saw the first cut. He knew the acting pool. He knows his rep is on the line. Knowing all of this, he decided to step into the chair. He would not do that unless there was hope in his eyes unless the money was obscene.  Marvel offered him a truck for Avengers 3 and he turned that down.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 08:11:22 AM

I'm not talking about fucking actors.  I'm talking about Shotgun Batman and Clark from Accounting who just don't give a fuck.

These are the new characters and I am entirely uninterested in them.  I truly expect, after the excrement of the first two, for Aquaman to be allergic to water, Barry to have dislocated knees and Cyborg to be based on Windows XP.

Fuck this continuity, is what I'm saying.

But let's just wait and see how it goes, eh ?  Or not, because despite posting, I ain't watching this drivel, so I guess I'm the very epitome of a shitposter in this thread.  Dammit.  I hate it when that happens.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Justice League  
Jump to: